A question about how Halo changed and CoD hasn't

Jamesw01

So Ive been playing call of duty and ive realized something about it. They barely change anything about there gameplay and people continue to buy and love those games. Now on these forums everyone is complaining about how halos changed to much and alot of people dislike it. But at the same time people are sayin it need to evolve. My thought though is if u got something great dont change it so why all the hate on cod. They keep the formula but refine it, even though my dislike the combat and game mechanics. Respect that they know their fans like how the game is and dont change it for thst reason. Please no hate if your gonns reply please do it in a civilized manner thank u.

• Like 1

i have seen this to, apparently the CoD games are satisfied with the "same" game over and over again

Why change something that everyone love. If they made halo three with more weapons a new campaign, maybe slightly altered mechanics I bet it woulda of been praised by the community.

and halo players are afraid of changes

CoD has the formula right and they know it. Halo had the formula right, knew it, and chose to change it not once but twice and now the population has dropped dramatically.

Halo didn't need to evolve, if you didn't like the game, don't play it. There were always plenty of choices. Personally I haven't played but 1 game since I got my SR130 and that reminded me why I put it down to begin with.

I still run games with the community that I'm most active with but if I'm running by myself you'll find me on MW3 or BO2.

I hope to see 343 fix the game but I wouldn't count on it. By fixing the game I mean as in get back to the root of the game and what made it great to begin with. Not Reach and H4, 2 games that definitely don't deserve "Halo" in the name.

If not, I'll happily watch the Halo series fail miserably regarding MP however I'll still buy the game for the campaign, those haven't let me down yet. My prediction is that H4 will be removed from MLG by the 3rd stop this year if I had to guess at it or that MLG will be something so dramatically different from what we're accustomed to seeing during MP that it won't even remotely resemble the terribad slayer we've been forced to endure so far. It would be nice if they'd bring Slayer Pro back but their are so many whiners and cry babies that a list that actually required skill didn't have a big population. Frankly, that's normal but what did 343 do? Pull another tard move of course. That's how they roll.

I'll definitely be checking out Bungie's next series "Destiny". I'm looking forward to seeing what a gaming company that doesn't have its head jammed up their butt does.

• Like 2

Halo has been constantly evolving from Halo CE until now. Every Halo has added new features and what not. I think that this one incorporated some new things to the Halo franchise. Not all of them have been good, and I'm sure with Halo 5, they will be removed. Others have been great ideas and changes and I hope to see them stay.

As for Bungies new game. I'm excited.

Halo has been constantly evolving from Halo CE until now. Every Halo has added new features and what not. I think that this one incorporated some new things to the Halo franchise. Not all of them have been good, and I'm sure with Halo 5, they will be removed. Others have been great ideas and changes and I hope to see them stay.

As for Bungies new game. I'm excited.

I doubt this. But if Halo 5 removed perks, loadouts, ordinance, and sprint then there would be sooooo many happy Halo fans.

• Like 1

I support halo changing as a series. games need to change their formula while keeping the same basic idea in tact. otherwise they WILL become forgotten.

how many console games have survived multiple console generations worth of sequels and remained successful without changing things?

to me the changes they made to halo 4 don't deviate too far from what halo actually ends up being. an fps in the future.

besides, from an artists perspective, I'd rather spend years creating something that has the potential to change ppl's minds than spend a fraction of that time on the same thing they've been doin

Here is the biggest problem with the two games. CoD contains a usual present or past time story behind it. Because the story doesn't involve weird aliens or evolved human timelines of weapons....the game remains relatively the same so the storyline and characters never get lost or jumbled or even stretch far too past it's own meaning.

Halo on the other hand has been continuing a story that already started in the future. Because each game is showcasing a new amount of recovered or discovered tech from Forerunners or Earth scientists....the gameplay and new features have to be added to keep that story going. Halo kinda can't really stay in the same mode as it had with Halo 2 or Halo 3. If it stayed fundamentally the same in terms of mechanics or gameply...the player wouldn't really feel as if a reasonable amount of progression has been made in the timelines. I mean c'mon..... could you imagine what it would be like trying to tackle those damn Promethian Knights WITHOUT the aid of some of the AA's and sprint? Seriously...go play legendary and don't use any AA or sprint for the whole game, then come back and say how easy it is without them.

Halo will always have to evolve the gameplay to meet the story standard and expectations of fans. Just not all changes are going to be accepted. We are going through a new generation of gamer right now, one that is light years away from the ones I have seen in my youth. For most of the older 1st gen and 2nd gen gamers...Halo will never measure up.

• Like 1

I sadly agree.

Lets be honest here, there is a reason why the player numbers have dropped so largely since halo 4's release.

There are many disenfranchised halo fans who feel like they have been left out in the cold by 343 to make room for these "casual" gamers. Its seems 343 only cared about bringing in new players rather than accommodating the old ones.

Lets look at halo 3 shall we? there is a reason why that games player base remained so strong after its release. Because it was what halo players had been used too since the first installment.

Then reach is released, and bungie just change the game completely. Hence why that games population was so weak, because those fans making the transition from halo 3 felt alienated.

Halo 4's campaign was great. However its multiplayer is lacking, i can tell I wont be playing this game one year from now like I did with halo 3.

Its a sad fact, but the last true halo game was halo 3. I think we just need too accept this and move on..

Here is the biggest problem with the two games. CoD contains a usual present or past time story behind it. Because the story doesn't involve weird aliens or evolved human timelines of weapons....the game remains relatively the same so the storyline and characters never get lost or jumbled or even stretch far too past it's own meaning.

Halo on the other hand has been continuing a story that already started in the future. Because each game is showcasing a new amount of recovered or discovered tech from Forerunners or Earth scientists....the gameplay and new features have to be added to keep that story going. Halo kinda can't really stay in the same mode as it had with Halo 2 or Halo 3. If it stayed fundamentally the same in terms of mechanics or gameply...the player wouldn't really feel as if a reasonable amount of progression has been made in the timelines. I mean c'mon..... could you imagine what it would be like trying to tackle those damn Promethian Knights WITHOUT the aid of some of the AA's and sprint? Seriously...go play legendary and don't use any AA or sprint for the whole game, then come back and say how easy it is without them.

Halo will always have to evolve the gameplay to meet the story standard and expectations of fans. Just not all changes are going to be accepted. We are going through a new generation of gamer right now, one that is light years away from the ones I have seen in my youth. For most of the older 1st gen and 2nd gen gamers...Halo will never measure up.

With a game based around aa's of course it would be hard without them, nor a good point.

I agree with this.

Halo obviously had its peak of population at Halo 2 to Halo 3. Those games didn't change much either. That was the time when Halo's multiplayer was right. Then Bungie made a mistake with Reach by adding all of these new additions to the game. It didn't have the same feel to the game. In result, Reach wasn't as popular.

I honestly don't know why 343 had to incorporate all of these new things into the game. They could have easily looked at the numbers for Halo 3 to Reach and determine that change isn't good for the most part. But 343 didn't just slightly change it, they turned the whole game around.

With a game based around aa's of course it would be hard without them, nor a good point.

i dont use AA's in multiplayer only place i use AA's is on spartan ops and that is jetpac

Then Bungie made a mistake with Reach by adding all of these new additions to the game. It didn't have the same feel to the game. In result, Reach wasn't as popular.

wait a second the only thing they did was that they made the abilities available to all players and added armour lock

i mean in HALO 3 almost all halo reach AA were in HALO 3 invincibility, drop shield those were things you actually could use in HALO 3 and also the green recharge thingy and the blue down charge thing even overchield the only difference is that you had them al the time in REACH and in HALO 3 you had to pick them up and there were a spawn timer

i remember when halo 3 came out and everyone was moaning "its the same game with better graphics and different guns" that died down a few months after release and became one of the best halo titles ever.

i know the thought process when they came to making reach "halo 1,2,3 are all the same we need to change" so they brought in bloom which in a game that is based around accuracy and hitting a small area of the head is ridiculous and beating down just takes out shields regardless of how much health was remaining this lead to a broken multiplayer and a game which was very unpopular.

but i generally believe that the halo where everyone spawns with the same gun and fights over weapons on a map and that's it will never ever be made again, i think developers and game companies see that as too simple and not enough "content" to sell games. Thats what COD has done to shooters they have made it so loads of crap and customization has to be stuffed into the multiplayer which is fine for cod because thats what the game is based around but halo is really at its heart a very simple game.

the original halo is gone, and a side note what is it with 343 not putting in a ranking system, seriously everyone was screaming out for a ranking system i dont think ive heard anyone say they dont want one, casuals dont care either way. and they come out with some joke of a ranking system where ur rank is hidden on the game and the only way to see it is to go on an outisde application to view it...id love to know the mindset of this decision because it makes no sense to me another nail in the coffin of the franchise

• Like 1

becase over and over again cod is the same and that why it will die out becase who wants to play the same game again and again

hmmm they have been doing this for 6-8 games now and each one still tops halo 4 so what cod does must work very effiectly It hasn't died and still growing because the lack of multiplayer games and most of them come out trying to copy cod now instead of trying to make there own game like halo 3 did.

becase over and over again cod is the same and that why it will die out becase who wants to play the same game again and again

Actually, the COD series being the same thing over and over is EXACTLY why that population smokes H4 at any time of the day, on every similar list. The players know exactly what to expect, they know the game mechanics are going to be the same, and there are going to be some bad *** new weapons.

And the map making is decidedly better. They don't look like they were made by dyslexic 3 year olds.

And the map making is decidedly better. They don't look like they were made by dyslexic 3 year olds.

:rofl: Nice one man. Bloom ahs been in halo in every game...why can't people still accept that...and yes, that was directed to you Fraggy. Bloom was just visualized for you on the HUD rather than in the projectile contrail itself like it was in 1,2,3 and ODST. And yes, CoD has the formula right. They don't make drastic changes, and because the game is predictable in terms of mechanics, players will always flock to somethign they can COUNT ON. You can't bash a series that outsells Halo, and make bold statements about how CoD players are weak, stupid, unskilled etc...without properly addressing the root causes that halo has first. To a CoD player, Halo has no skill and is weak in comparison.

In the end, CoD has and always seem to outsell Halo. There is a reason. You don't have to like it, but you cannot dispute facts and the overall sales volume and population of a title. CoD unfortuntaly is > Halo.

CoD unfortuntaly is > Halo.

can't call something better just because of sales. people as a whole tend to flock towards trends, not necessarily better products. I know a good number of people that started CoD and still play it cause that's where all their friends are. convincing said people to make the change to halo involves convincing their friends as well, and once someone's mind is made it's difficult to change it. similar to the iPhone vs android situation

• Like 1

can't call something better just because of sales. people as a whole tend to flock towards trends, not necessarily better products. I know a good number of people that started CoD and still play it cause that's where all their friends are. convincing said people to make the change to halo involves convincing their friends as well, and once someone's mind is made it's difficult to change it. similar to the iPhone vs android situation

Well said. Now that I think about it, a lot of friends I have refuse to play Halo. Stopped playing after Halo 2, they picked up CoD 4 instead of Halo 3. And now it's near impossible to get them to go near Halo.

Halo 3 was great as it kept to the same format as H2 yet added a few small things (improvements not game changers) it kept the essence of Halo and encouraged competitive gameplay.

Reach was a disaster in my opinion, the only game I traded in after a couple of months.. considering I played H3 for quite literally years thats saying something.. They had too many game changers, the AA's changed the play and the change to weapons on top of this made it a new game (not what Halo was)

Halo 4 much to my dissapointment I have to admit simply added to reach instead of stripping it back and putting their spin on it. The auto sprint is unnessecary in my opinion as it makes small fast paced lvl's too small to have in the game (imagine guardian with everyone able to sprint lol, even the Pit) they kept the big changes for Reach and added some CoD features.. lets be honest this is not evolution it is simply copying something from a game that was designed to have it and shoving it into a game that was not.

Still the campaign holds my interest so i shall prob continue to buy the games though the multiplayer has lost a lot of its appeal, the thing that separated Halo from others was a mixture of skill being required and the out and out aggresive competition that existed in it, now we have another game of hang back and worry about your k/d, oh well i suppose all games must die at some point and I have to say Halo's fate has been sealed....

If it aint broke don't fix it cause if you try you will probably just break it.

• Like 1

I doubt this. But if Halo 5 removed perks, loadouts, ordinance, and sprint then there would be sooooo many happy Halo fans.

I for one actually like the perks, loadouts, ordinance, and sprint...

I like what 343 has done with the game and feel that they have made the game more appealing with the gameplay.