Halo 4 Campaign Thoughts-- The Death of Cortana

CrazyZilo7

I got Halo 4 today, for Christmas, and I played through the entire campaign. I loved the game itself, and the graphics, style, AI scripting, etc. were awesome, but I have but one problem with it... The campaign killed off my favorite character, Cortana. I felt a connection with her character. That's hard to find these days, and now it seems she's doomed to never return. I certainly hope there can be a "second chance" for her; I don't think Master Chief is going to do too well anymore without her... It can only go downhill from her death... Stupid rampancy. :(...

Anyways, does anyone else feel as I do on this? I'm really bothered by this, as Halo is my favorite series of games, and Cortana was my number one video game character.

• Like 1

I feel that cortana will make some sort of return later in halo. But if not Halo 4 was best way for her to go. By saving the Master Chief

The Master Chief has always been ordered to protect her but now she sacrifices herself to save him

A very emotional and positive way for a iconic character to go

• Like 1

I got Halo 4 today, for Christmas, and I played through the entire campaign. I loved the game itself, and the graphics, style, AI scripting, etc. were awesome, but I have but one problem with it... The campaign killed off my favorite character, Cortana. I felt a connection with her character. That's hard to find these days, and now it seems she's doomed to never return. I certainly hope there can be a "second chance" for her; I don't think Master Chief is going to do too well anymore without her... It can only go downhill from her death... Stupid rampancy. :(...

Anyways, does anyone else feel as I do on this? I'm really bothered by this, as Halo is my favorite series of games, and Cortana was my number one video game character.

I know this is going to sound stupid but your in mourning as she was so integral to the experience of the game, You're not the first or the last to feel this way. A lot of the old fans who bought the first Box are still a little in shock over it but this is how it must be, evolution.

I personally will miss the "one liners" In H4 the only one liner i laughed at was "I can't exactly get out and push" It's the only one liner that i've found. Anyone else found any?

"Mourning" is a bit serious but how else is one to use to describe the shock of watching a character in a story that has been with the story since the begining slowly and artfully done i might add die.

343 is the worst game designer ever! since I was 4 the series halo has been #1 to me and like you i felt a closeness to Cortana so they can redeem themselves still, but Bungle should have never signed the game over to them off to a bad start 343 you better watch it!!

For killing off a character? I'd say that's a tad extreme.

As for my thoughts on her death, it was an interesting twist, to say the least.

It was a well-done scene and the voice acting was great, but I didn't really become too emotionally involved.

Well actually I don't often get emotional while playing video games, although a couple of the deaths in Halo: Reach did get me a bit.

Come on man, not everyone has finished the campaign. Please try to put a "SPOILER ALERT" next time :(

She would have died anyway, you kind of know it's coming by the beginning of the second level.

Plus, some people read Halopedia, and find out that way, so unless not everyone has finished Level 1 by now, I'd have to say most people at least half-expected her to die.

As for my thoughts on her death, I have to say the scene itself was very well-done. The voice acting and the visual scene was fantastic.

However, as I strongly suspected that Cortana would die from the beginning of Requiem I actually didn't get emotional.

She's technically not dead. Remember that scene where she touched Master Chief? She may be captured now and may in Halo 5 or 6...

1. Clash with your new new A.I. (If you get one)

2. Become a villian

3. Save you again

4. Never appear again (I doubt this though, they put too much time into her)

Or maybe a combination of the first three. :question:

I don't get why you guys are so attached to Cortana. I felt sad when she died, and my eyes were fairly watery, but not playing Halo just because she's gone? I don't get that. I played Halo CE, 3 and 4 and I'm not getting this massive connection you guys are. Anyway, her dying was needed. The protagonist can't win without sacrifice, and he ended up losing Cortana. Also, losing Cortana makes him wonder more about the things she told him over the years, like the "Which one of us is the machine here?" thing. That and the fact that you got a glimpse of his face is showing that the Chief is becoming more human. This trilogy is the reclaimer series. Master Chief is the reclaimer, and so this trilogy will obviously be about him, his flaws and qualities, his losses and his gains, and most importantly, him turning back into a human. He got a major loss in Halo 4, he lost Cortana. Cortana did not know what it was like to be a human, and neither did the Chief, but they both made each other more human. And so, Cortana was very special to the Chief, and by making him lose her, they are really pushing forward his character development. Knowing most game developers, he'll probably get her back at the end of Halo 5, but I seriously hope not, it would be too cheesy and happy-ever-aftery.

• Like 1

I don't get why you guys are so attached to Cortana. I felt sad when she died, and my eyes were fairly watery, but not playing Halo just because she's gone? I don't get that. I played Halo CE, 3 and 4 and I'm not getting this massive connection you guys are. Anyway, her dying was needed. The protagonist can't win without sacrifice, and he ended up losing Cortana. Also, losing Cortana makes him wonder more about the things she told him over the years, like the "Which one of us is the machine here?" thing. That and the fact that you got a glimpse of his face is showing that the Chief is becoming more human. This trilogy is the reclaimer series. Master Chief is the reclaimer, and so this trilogy will obviously be about him, his flaws and qualities, his losses and his gains, and most importantly, him turning back into a human. He got a major loss in Halo 4, he lost Cortana. Cortana did not know what it was like to be a human, and neither did the Chief, but they both made each other more human. And so, Cortana was very special to the Chief, and by making him lose her, they are really pushing forward his character development. Knowing most game developers, he'll probably get her back at the end of Halo 5, but I seriously hope not, it would be too cheesy and happy-ever-aftery.

Are you literally copy pasting the same thing over and over again in different threads? http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/22573-cortanas-death-is-stupid/#entry216992 lol
  • Like 1

To be honest, I didn't know that she was going to get killed, but by the end of Infinity, I thought that she should have been euthanised. Still, I did not see Cortana saving the Chief. I saw the nuke being detonated from a mile off, but the Chief actually surviving? Damn. My only criticism is that the Prometheans are legit hard, even on Easy, but especially on Normal, however this could be me being rusty, as I failed to do Winter Contingency on Legendary with every skull on, except for Blind, as I literally cannot play with Blind on, without dying, something which I was capable of doing in August/September time. Overall, the story wasn't too bad, the gameplay was pretty decent, but the difficulty and (for me, I'm ashamed to say. :/) the controls were both pretty bad.

Nah, 343 had the balls to kill off the deuteragonist in their first ground up game, I don't think they'd bring her back. A replacement? Sure, but not Cortana and if you want my opinion on what's going to happen in the next two games? PM me and I'll happily go into detail about what I think will happen. The only problem I have with it is that 343 have been very ballsy and have set the bar extremely high. It's going to take a hell of a lot for Halo 5 to beat it and if they do that, the height of the bar is going to be around the height of Mount Kilimanjaro.

• 3 weeks later...

*SPOILER ALERT* Well I think our favourite A.I is not dead I mean seriously you think walking back towards the holographic wall equals death no I think when the librarian took Cortana from the Chief the first time she only fixed part of Cortana's rampancy because she needed to also genetically enhance Master Chief to defeat the Didact I'm not sure what the librarian did to Master Chief but I'm guessing she made Master Chief immune

to the affects of the composer. You know how Cortana says It's already done in the ending cut scene I think she means that she has to be transferred to where the librarian is so she can fix her.