Horrible Matchmaking System

Severed Dreams

I bring you this thread 343i on behalf of the International Halo community who are sick of your excuses for not giving us a the "search good connection" option that was available in previous Halo games. The matchmaking in this game is pathetic, routinely matching players from one country to hosts on the other side of the planet and further compounding the problem by giving host to US players in lobbies that are full of players from a non-US country. You have taken a game known for its excellent matchmaking and made a mockery of it.

As you can see from this thread over at waypoint, this is an issue being had by many non-US players and quite frankly we are sick of the excuses from you.

You can can see in the link below the massive drop in the number of people playing this game and I believe this is due to the horrible matchmaking system in Halo 4.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst129636p73_NO--REGIONAL-FILTER----OR--GOOD-CONNECTION.aspx

I for one will not buy another product developed by 343i and I suspect that many others feel the same way,

EDIT - Note to admins, stop removing the link to the thread on Waypoint. WAYPOINT IS PART OF THE HALO GAME NETWORK. There is ZERO reason to remove it when the game itself is tied into Waypoint.

MODERATOR EDIT

What part of 'Do not post links to other websites' don't you understand?

Response

What part of, Waypoint is integrated into the game so by definition is part of the game and therefore makes it an extension to this site, do you not understand?

Edited by Severed Dreams
  • Like 1

I can see what you're saying, however the matchmaking isn't 'pathetic'. Yes, Halo 4's matchmaking doesn't out do Halo reach or Halo 3, but on the other hand it is only a very recent game. There are loads more problems that can be fixed and new content that we're waiting for. This is 343i first attempt at a very large audience for the Halo games. So, I suggest that you just be patient and try to enjoy what you have.

chill man give them some time..... every halo game wasn't amazing when it was in its first month. they need some time to fix it. and like jan said its not as good as halo 3 very true i wouldn't said reach was any better. 4 is better then reach even with all the flaws

• Like 1

I can see what you're saying, however the matchmaking isn't 'pathetic'. Yes, Halo 4's matchmaking doesn't out do Halo reach or Halo 3, but on the other hand it is only a very recent game. There are loads more problems that can be fixed and new content that we're waiting for. This is 343i first attempt at a very large audience for the Halo games. So, I suggest that you just be patient and try to enjoy what you have.

"recent" game as if 343 didn't have a whole engine and years of design patterns to build off of.

"recent" game as if 343 didn't have a whole engine and years of design patterns to build off of.

Exactly the point. If this was a brand new game, one could use the argument that they deserve time to flush out the bugs. Given that they had every chance to build on the previous Halo releases this argument has no weight in my opinion.

Agree with OP. Matchmaking is horrible, even on the US side. I am constantly matched with Mexico and Canada making matches nothing but teleport fests and bullet sponges.

And the naysayers defending this or saying other problems are more important can go away. There is nothing more important than match stability. I could give a crap which weapon you think is overpowered when none of them work properly due to crap connections anyway.

chill man give them some time..... every halo game wasn't amazing when it was in its first month. they need some time to fix it. and like jan said its not as good as halo 3 very true i wouldn't said reach was any better. 4 is better then reach even with all the flaws

Quit giving 343 excuses. Several of the staff have been around since CE release and the net working is unconscionable.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you here.

Quit giving 343 excuses. Several of the staff have been around since CE release and the net working is unconscionable.

Even Frankie himself is part of the team, and many of the senior staff are from bungie, and worked on the best halos. That's why people had confidence in 343i in the first place. I can't believe some of the bull**** with the networking in this game, and don't even get me started on JIP.

It's also frustrating to know these people CAN give us the settings and experiances of Halo 2 and 3, but want to try "new" things which really just emulate call of duty. And this is coming from a Hardcore halo fan whom played halo 1 and 2 competitively.

• Like 2

I bring you this thread 343i on behalf of the International Halo community who are sick of your excuses for not giving us a the "search good connection" option that was available in previous Halo games. The matchmaking in this game is pathetic, routinely matching players from one country to hosts on the other side of the planet and further compounding the problem by giving host to US players in lobbies that are full of players from a non-US country. You have taken a game known for its excellent matchmaking and made a mockery of it.

As you can see from this thread over at waypoint, this is an issue being had by many non-US players and quite frankly we are sick of the excuses from you.

https://forums.halow...spx#post2043932

You can can see in the link below the massive drop in the number of people playing this game and I believe this is due to the horrible matchmaking system in Halo 4.

http://halocharts.co...lpopulation/all

I for one will not buy another product developed by 343i and I suspect that many others feel the same way,

They are doing a new game as far as halo is considered which gives them some sliding room as far as mistakes. But they have half assed almost every single bit of this game! That being said 343 is not a bunch or retards contrary to popular belief here lately. I believe they really wanted to make something amazing. But alas it was rushed out the door just to make a few extra bucks on the holiday buying season.

The issues:

1. Poor connection on 9/10 matches.

2. No good connection filter.

3. No ability to select your country for matchmaking or even your continent for that matter!

4. Very little variation in maps whatsoever they are all just a circle.

5. CRIMSION MAP PACK SUCKS! this is mostly due to the fact we need more small maps isted of large maps that are piss poorly put together.

6. Boltshot......What were you guys thinking with this absolute mess! it needs to be removed from the game or made into an ordnance drop.

7. the assault rifle is sooooo OP its not even funny. A very very small dial down in power would really help!

8. Easy to achieve lvl cap....Cmon the game isent even 2 full months old and ppl are already maxing out...WTF!

9. The invisibility armor ability is so badly OP when combined with the wetwork perk. it needs to be nerfed BIG TIME!

***These issues are my personal opinion and i know not everyone feels the same as me but that being said there is a large part of the community with these same complaints.***

P.S

343 I get your head out of your asses and listen to your loyal fans that have taken the time to come here and tell you what is wrong. Already there are MANY ppl who refuse to play halo 4 until some changes are made and that has DRASTICALLY affected matchmaking and it is only gonna get worse the longer you guys sit on your hands isted of heeding your community and getting to work on some fixes.

I do agree that it will get fixed and yes, it's going to get better.

Also, everyone is right that says the connectivity as of now is crap. Because it is.

With all due respect, we have been hearing this since launch and yet there is still no fix, only rubbish claims by 343i about the issue being resolved. The fact of the matter is that 343i rushed the game to market and failed to have a public beta test and it shows in many aspects of the game. Further they seem to show no interest in the issues the community are having which does not give people much faith that this game will have any longevity, which in turn makes people disinclined to purchase any further games from 343i.

I believe that the problem with 343i is that Microsoft gave them a blank cheque to develop this game and as such 343i have no vested interest in the game's success and as such do not care about the community.

With all due respect, we have been hearing this since launch and yet there is still no fix, only rubbish claims by 343i about the issue being resolved. The fact of the matter is that 343i rushed the game to market and failed to have a public beta test and it shows in many aspects of the game. Further they seem to show no interest in the issues the community are having which does not give people much faith that this game will have any longevity, which in turn makes people disinclined to purchase any further games from 343i.

I believe that the problem with 343i is that Microsoft gave them a blank cheque to develop this game and as such 343i have no vested interest in the game's success and as such do not care about the community.

Many games dont have public beta tests. That does not mean it was not beta tested. That point is not valid.

As the game as been out for bairly two months they have been analising and correcting huge sums of data. Try making a patch for a game that soon with all new data pouring in constantly. It requires precise adjustments and will never be full proof. Only better than before.

Secondly, the part about 343i not caring about the Halo community, that is pure opinion. Has no basis in fact what so ever.

Many games dont have public beta tests. That does not mean it was not beta tested. That point is not valid.

As the game as been out for bairly two months they have been analising and correcting huge sums of data. Try making a patch for a game that soon with all new data pouring in constantly. It requires precise adjustments and will never be full proof. Only better than before.

Secondly, the part about 343i not caring about the Halo community, that is pure opinion. Has no basis in fact what so ever.

To start with I said PUBLIC beta, so the point is valid. Second the fact that other games do not have a public beta does not mean that it is not a good idea to run a public beta, especially in a fast pace FPS where having solid net coding and low latency makes a big difference to the game experience.

Now about them not caring, while I agree that it is my opinion, it is not one that I share alone, nor is it one that is baseless.

• 1 month later...

So it's almost February and no fix yet. This game made me try out Black Ops 2, and I haven't touched a COD since the original Modern Warfare. Funny thing is that game actually works with lag/bad matchmaking being a rare occurrence. If you want to copy some things from COD at least copy the better matchmaking first.

• 2 months later...

So we are now over 5 months into the game and it is as bad as ever. Matchmaking is completely broken. Co-Op is unplayable for everyone but host and the active playing community is virtually dead. Over the last few days the MAX amount of players online is about 20k. 

Well done 343, your arrogance and refusal to both address and fix this problem has kill the game and possibly the series as well. You should be ashamed. You have taken a brilliant series and made a complete mockery of it with the pathetic excuse of a game.

just calm down will you or are you going to keep saying how halo 4's matchmaking sucks every few months. i believe its against the rules to post 3 months later than the last post. also, 343 has bigger problems to worry about like the castle map pack. no game is ever perfect upon release. back in reach, the "search good connection" option was crap anyways. whenever i had it on, i got into matches with a decent connection (About yellow bar). if your sick of it, there's plenty of other games out there

just calm down will you or are you going to keep saying how halo 4's matchmaking sucks every few months. i believe its against the rules to post 3 months later than the last post. also, 343 has bigger problems to worry about like the castle map pack. no game is ever perfect upon release. back in reach, the "search good connection" option was crap anyways. whenever i had it on, i got into matches with a decent connection (About yellow bar). if your sick of it, there's plenty of other games out there

the castle map pack was already finshed before halo 4 came out just like all the other map packs.

COD matches wouldnt even start from all technical problems that would arise given the kind of population Halo4 has frequently. That says something about the quality of game netcode and overall quality of Halo4.

So it's almost February and no fix yet. This game made me try out Black Ops 2, and I haven't touched a COD since the original Modern Warfare. Funny thing is that game actually works with lag/bad matchmaking being a rare occurrence. If you want to copy some things from COD at least copy the better matchmaking first.

Despite having all its odds for it given the population including being a peer-to-peer game, Black Ops2 is the most screwed up game  to be released lag/lag comp wise on XBox EVER. Lag screws you up in even in GOOD connect scenarios actually. Thats where its at.

So your argument is that they are too busy trying to make more money of DLC for this broken game than to fix the issues or provide the community with what it wants, namely a "search good connection" feature? What a pathetic excuse. Are you an employee of 343i or just one of their brainwashed fanbois?

Bro, why do you expect every game to be perfect

in its first month? Just give them so time they are fixing the game.

and They are not excuses

but, only true facts so chill out the world isnt ending but, in your logic it is o.o.

The game has been out since November of last year you gimp, it has been way more than a month, more than enough time to fix the issues, however still the game is broken. The fact that the total player population has dwindled from 300k at launch to only about 20k now shows how poor a game this is.

The fact is 343i do not care about the game or the community, they are just run by the accountants and marketing douchebags who simply want to make something that is "shiny" and make a quick buck. 

SHAME ON YOU 343i, YOU HAVE DESTROYED ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMING FRANCHISES OF ALL TIME!

The worst is when you're team is hopelessly outmatch.  I've been on a team that has had it's butt kicked by the opposing team.  That's not even what I'm talking about.  There has been more than one that my team has been wiped the floor with by the opposing team.  Imagine navy seals against toddlers, that's how it feels.  It's super frustrating when that happens.  

• 2 weeks later...

So your argument is that they are too busy trying to make more money of DLC for this broken game than to fix the issues or provide the community with what it wants, namely a "search good connection" feature? What a pathetic excuse. Are you an employee of 343i or just one of their brainwashed fanbois?

The game has been out since November of last year you gimp, it has been way more than a month, more than enough time to fix the issues, however still the game is broken. The fact that the total player population has dwindled from 300k at launch to only about 20k now shows how poor a game this is.

The fact is 343i do not care about the game or the community, they are just run by the accountants and marketing douchebags who simply want to make something that is "shiny" and make a quick buck. 

• players like dlc, i know i do. plus the game is fine like how it is
  • im not exactly sure whats on their "to do list" but complaining about a broken p.o.s. game, wont speed things up
  • i know when the game came out dips**t. played the game since day 1 and im LOVIN IT
  • who cares about the game starting at 300k at launch and dropping to 20k present day
  • you should be glad that the game isnt glitched to where you cant play and you should be glad that there are even players to play against and if you dont like, go pick up call of duty and quit halo instread of bi**hing about it
  • if 343 didnt care about its community, 343 wouldnt have given us Forge Island, Caslte Map Pack, Majestic Map Pack, Crimson Map Pack in the first year

like i said...

• go into your memory
  • delete halo 4 and all its content
  • take halo 4 to gamestop or wherever a bigger gimp gets his games from
  • sell it
  • use the money to pick up call of duty or another game
  • leave the forums

i will speak no more on this matter and theres nothing you can reply with that will change my mind about this game Severed. i will always love it. so if you really hate it all because of "1 broken thing" then go join an anti halo group and leave those who actually like the game alone

• players like dlc, i know i do. plus the game is fine like how it is
  • im not exactly sure whats on their "to do list" but complaining about a broken p.o.s. game, wont speed things up
  • i know when the game came out dips**t. played the game since day 1 and im LOVIN IT
  • who cares about the game starting at 300k at launch and dropping to 20k present day
  • you should be glad that the game isnt glitched to where you cant play and you should be glad that there are even players to play against and if you dont like, go pick up call of duty and quit halo instread of bi**hing about it
  • if 343 didnt care about its community, 343 wouldnt have given us Forge Island, Caslte Map Pack, Majestic Map Pack, Crimson Map Pack in the first year

like i said...

• go into your memory
  • delete halo 4 and all its content
  • take halo 4 to gamestop or wherever a bigger gimp gets his games from
  • sell it
  • use the money to pick up call of duty or another game
  • leave the forums

i will speak no more on this matter and theres nothing you can reply with that will change my mind about this game Severed. i will always love it. so if you really hate it all because of "1 broken thing" then go join an anti halo group and leave those who actually like the game alone

i dont know if trolling or extreme fanboy here. people who enjoyed the original halos do not like the way they are going with the franchise i personally thought halo reach was terrible gamplay wise the TU made it playable but i still didnt really enjoy it. Halo 4 isnt a bad game but its the small things like: cant drop flag(and no option in custom settings to drop flag) no descope when taking damage, noone starts the same anymore and you have to go and earn an advantage for e.g getting weapons, powerups they are all given to you no challenge, vehicles just get plasma pistoled and sticky naded, no option in custom setting to have a respawn time (there is but u can press x and it cancels it) DMR is not a balanced gun its basically a weak sniper rifle, boltshot

its my opinion that if they make another halo where they deviate again from the orginal halo model the model that made it popular the series will be all but dead