Mantis- Great addition or overpowered noob vehicle...

DN2012

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the mantis is overpowered?

I noticed that the mantis may not be that great of a vehicle. I mean, its super overpowed. I mean, what vehicle takes two rocket shots to destroy, and same the spartan laser. Once the enemy takes out your mantis your dead and you basically lose the game... Do you think its a good vehicle and have you had any problems with it?

Definitely a good, well-balanced vehicle.

It is of course a power-weapon, taking the Scorpion's place as a one-manned, more maneuverable version of it.

Why it isn't OP:

• It can be overwhelmed easily, just like any vehicle.
  • EMPs completely deactivate it temporarily
  • Shields deplete very fast, take a while to charge back up
  • Overheat and bloom on chain gun is fair, rocket pod reload is fair.
  • Vulnerability if the melee-stomp misses target.
  • Long respawn rate.

All it takes is good teamwork and a gameplan to destroy one

I.E. a Sniper and a Banshee. Banshee plays the distraction role while chipping away with it's plasma gun, Sniper picks it off from long distance. The Laser takes it down easily too.

Now, in the right hands, a Mantis is everything. If the Mantis takes cover, comes out when appropriate, controls a certain location on the battlefield with multiple cover/support teammates, etc...It is the most prominent player in the match.

It all depends on how one uses it, and how it's opponents react.

• Like 2

Completely agree that it isn't overpowered. It has lots of health but it is extremely weak at killing infantry unless they are right in its face. It can only be used as a support vehicle that moves up with infantry support, otherwise it gets plasma pistoled and either boarded or overwhelmed with railguns, grenades, rockets, sniper rounds, and more. I feel like this vehicle and the scorpion are the only balanced vehicles with everything else being severely underpowered. There's just sooooo many power weapons in this game now. It feels like it's standard issue for every guy on the enemy team to have some sort of power weapon that wrecks vehicles at all times.

pretty easy to take down, when i first got the game i could just destroy and spawn kill people in ragnorock and people could also do that to my team and all we could for is to just shoot the thing or get some kind of power weapon like a spartan laser but now that people know how to take it down including me they are pretty easy to kill just get a plasma pistol and active camo. problem solved.

If somebody in a mantis is able to affect the final outcome of a game by a large sum then your team is not very good sorry to say. The mantis in its best is a defensive vehicle not an assault vehicle. If the opposing team moves their mantis up to far it lacks the mobility to survive for long. It's a large moving target and is largely attractive of enemy fire.

Take the two mantises on Ragnarok for example. The mantis is best when moved down by your base unloading suppressing fire upon enemies at the wall the hill and the pelican. If the Mantis was taken up by the hill then it would be subject to a three way attack and go down quickly. So in this regard the Mantis when used correctly shouldn't be putting up a lot of points.

Whether it is better than the old Wraith from Valhalla in Halo 3 is an entirely different manner. The inclusion of a Mantis in the map changes it drastically from the banshee being the most powerful threat to a very underwhelming lineup of vehicles.

Nope. It's powerful but not overpowered. It's the same as finding a strong weapon like the rocket launcher. It serves a purpose as a power vehicle, but it's not invincible.

I've done really well with the Mantis by hanging back and trying to focus on picking off vehicles more than players on the ground. If you rush up with that thing, you get two or three kills, then you're toast, you've wasted a great vehicle, and your team hates you.

Also, Banshees can make really quick work of those things.

Definitely a good, well-balanced vehicle.

It is of course a power-weapon, taking the Scorpion's place as a one-manned, more maneuverable version of it.

Why it isn't OP:

• It can be overwhelmed easily, just like any vehicle.
  • EMPs completely deactivate it temporarily
  • Shields deplete very fast, take a while to charge back up
  • Overheat and bloom on chain gun is fair, rocket pod reload is fair.
  • Vulnerability if the melee-stomp misses target.
  • Long respawn rate.

All it takes is good teamwork and a gameplan to destroy one

I.E. a Sniper and a Banshee. Banshee plays the distraction role while chipping away with it's plasma gun, Sniper picks it off from long distance. The Laser takes it down easily too.

Now, in the right hands, a Mantis is everything. If the Mantis takes cover, comes out when appropriate, controls a certain location on the battlefield with multiple cover/support teammates, etc...It is the most prominent player in the match.

It all depends on how one uses it, and how it's opponents react.

NUFF SAID!

the only time i see the mantis slightly Overpowered is objective on ragnarok because of no banshees, i honestly see a banshee as a mantis killer, the mantis is NOT Indestructible, like some people think, if you are a decent banshee pilot, and the person in the mantis is a noob( what usually happens) you can take down the mantis without too many problems. and the mantis is not an offensive vehicle, if you drag it near the enemy spawn, you'll just get decimated after like 3 kills.

I have done 2 perfections with the mantis on ragnarok it is not overpower, like everyone else you have to get cover and keep the enemy team on the line, whatever it was without shields one spartan laser shot will destroy it.

Btw, i have the replays on my file share if you want to see.

I'd buff the Spartan Laser to 1 shot it, like any other vehicle, but not do anything to the Mantis itself, Missiles are hard to aim, Bloom means its ineffective at high range, and can be board naded like any other tank, plus the size of it means it cant easily hide from enemy fire.

Probably a shade UNDER powered IMO, if you do get successfully ganked you have 0 chance.

Any other vehicle and you can get out before they jump on for the nade plant, but it seems to be disabled longer by EMP's.

The shield is one shotted by a sniper, but once removed you can take a reasonable amount of damage. It's the recharge rate of the shield that drives me nuts, soooooooooo long, but almost finished OP, that might help.

That you can crouch in a Mantis, and therefore tea bag the ghost that's been buzzing around for a while now, is genius.

I dont think it's over powered it's more over rated 2 me. It's fun 2 drive and it deals a lot of damage but it's not that durable and has no defence against ppl planting grenades in it. It's also not that hard 2 stick it's pretty slow and it only takes like 3 direct rail gun hits 2 kill it. Just send in a couple of full warthogs and it shouldn't b that hard 2 kill.

I love the Mantis. I would never call it OP though. Generally speaking vehicles have a harder time in this game, I think largely due to the maps all being slightly tighter quarters and every player having sprint. Ragnarok is the only BTB map with enough open space to move a vehicle safely. Exile seems like it but if you don't control the middle then infantry are just a short jog away from you at all points on the map.

Now if you asked whether the Mantis would be OP in one of the earlier games where the BTB maps weren't so tight, I would say still probably not because it doesn't have a precision weapon like the Scorpion's main cannon or the Gauss. However it would be a lot harder to take down if it could keep its distance from infantry cover, but in the same scenario its weapons would be nearly useless because it has to get within sprinting distance to make kills consistently.

If a team supports their Mantis, it will go on to do great things, but that's teamwork killing you not the Mantis. The same is true of every vehicle in the game. Even the Scorpion goes down easy without team support, and the Gauss may be awesome but you have to drive it conservatively or your gunner just gets picked off by people behind him. The turrets turn slower in this game I think, so more and more you have to have teammates watching your flanks.