Halo 4 Ranking System Explained

TrulyExclusive

Behind the scenes!!!! Are you kidding me?! If halo has enough life to pump out an H5, maybe they'll put in a progressive "behind the scenes" system. After all, 343 seems to think anything shown to us is likely to be abused, so lets just hide it all. Great job 343!!! Keep up the behind the scenes work!

You're right. That may not be the sole reason but it was one of the main contributors. The combination of a lack of competitiveness in the game itself along with the ranking system ultimately lead to the failures of the game.

I think 343 will cave in and end up providing some kind of ranking system in the near future. Especially when the rage explodes in the forums after release.

If the skill level is there, but invisible, it seems like there's less incentive to attempt to maintain that level. Sometimes I just want to have fun, other times I want to be on a team and try to use strategy to win.

I disagree. I was a legit 50 on lone wolves when I played. I play team slayer and get stuck with boosters at LEAST 5 games a day. There was no booting and there was no stopping them. The only reason 50 was obtainable for me is because I didn't rely on a community.

If I wanted ranked competition I played by myself. Any other time and I played with a team it was social because I found the community too undependable. I wasn't upset at skill... Nobody's measuring virtual schlongs I get that. I know a more competitive gamer enjoys the challenges... But is it worth every gamers comfortability?

I agree that Halo has a much bigger market too to appeal to. You're not just catering to the die hard competitive fans anymore. You're (as a gaming market) trying to appeal to die hard battlefield, CoD, and fans of pretty much any of game besides Halo.

They want new business and I'm sure 343 doesn't want too competitive of a market to scare away potential new investors in their game, ESPECIALLY since they already planned a trilogy. It's about marketing to a new audience. It's all about the Benjamins. No hard feelings I'm sure to their loyal fans but they aren't gonna retire based on us. They want EVERYONE playing.

As far as War Games go, after SR-50, you do Specializations. After reaching SR-130 through Specializations, what do you do?

Other than level up your Commendations, the answer is nothing.

At least Reach made it so that to reach Inheritor, it took practically years of gaming. Getting to SR-130 shouldn't take more than a few months of playing...and then we're stuck with nothing.

Hopefully by that point they decide to unleash ranks (invisible or visible) to at least add some incentive to playing.

• Like 1

As far as War Games go, after SR-50, you do Specializations. After reaching SR-130 through Specializations, what do you do?

Other than level up your Commendations, the answer is nothing.

At least Reach made it so that to reach Inheritor, it took practically years of gaming. Getting to SR-130 shouldn't take more than a few months of playing...and then we're stuck with nothing.

Hopefully by that point they decide to unleash ranks (invisible or visible) to at least add some incentive to playing.

What's SR-50 and SR-130?

I'm not asking 343 to only cater to the competitive gaming community, I'm simply asking that they cater too both. Social and ranked playlists have always seemed fairly successful in the past in regards to separating casual and competitive gameplay. There's no reason 343 can't compromise and do it again.

What's SR-50 and SR-130?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but SR-50 is the level you start unlocking specializations and SR-130 is the level at which there are no more specializations to unlock.

I've done the math, and it's only gonna take about a month to a month and a half for every-day gamers who play at least 4-5 hours a day to get SR-130. 343 HAVE to have something hiding from us. They can't possibly think that Spartan Ops alone is gonna keep us playing.

Idk man...look at CoD...a lot of people hit max prestige and astill play...I will hit SR-130 and still play. I think spartan ops will keep people coming back for more, and if the war games is as awesome as it was at SDCC I know I will keep coming back. If it is fun and enjoyable, people will continue to play

What's SR-50 and SR-130?

The regular part of War Games will go from SR-1 (Spartan Rank) to SR-50. You can then "enlist" in 8 different Specializations, each incorporating an extra 10 Spartan Ranks to equal a total of SR-130.

After SR-130, there are only Commendations to level up...

I've done the math, and it's only gonna take about a month to a month and a half for every-day gamers who play at least 4-5 hours a day to get SR-130. 343 HAVE to have something hiding from us. They can't possibly think that Spartan Ops alone is gonna keep us playing.

In the Bulletin, they did hint at implementing some sort of a ranking feature further down the line. If they don't want Halo 4 to die, they're going to have to.

Wait, so I'm confused. Is the ranking system gonna be like Reach or is there going to be no visuals at all? Like, will you be able to have the "Eclipse" rank symbol or the "Corporal Grade 2" rank symbol by your name? Or is it going to be like Gears of War 1 was...because that's rather boring.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are all missing the most important point. I'm a pretty casual gamer too, but I loved the ranking system in the previous Halos. I loved knowing that I was a 46 or 47 because that was bragging rights for me. And nothing was more exciting than trying to get my guy up to a level 50. I also loved entering a game when I was playing guys ranked higher than me because it showed me where I stacked up and if I played well and beat them, it was very satisfying. Sure the boosting was really annoying but surely there's a better way to control that than taking out the visual ranking

Again, the best part of that ranking was the bragging rights. When you ran into an old buddy and you found out that he/she too is a Halo fan, I loved talking about my rank as compared to theirs. I think the simple answer is just to create playlists for those that care about the rank and those who don't Kind of like ranked vs social we got used to in Halo 3.

I loved Halo CE - Halo 3 but I just couldn't get into Reach at all. So far I really like Halo 4 but now that I know that you only rank up based on how much you play, I'm really disappointed and I already signed the petition. At the VERY least they should at least display your K/D Ratio at all times. That's probably the only visual repesntation of how good someone is right now. I want more people to like Halo but I don't think removing the visual ranks is the way to do it.