I LOVE being a gamer, but the community...

A Fhaol Bhig

Well, it may just make the girl feel better, but it doesnt stop any of the hate they get in general. but you might as well do it......its not like you can just hit them in the face right then and there

I meant more, yes it won't stop it, but if they are going to be jerks and asking politely to stop doesn't make them stop, may as well own them. For instance, despite the fact that my sister gets a ton of hate from people for being good at COD, she also gets a ton of respect as well, or at the very least, shows the hater who's boss.

And even if you aren't supermlg360snoscoperproelite the best way to fight back against haters is just to have a good time and to do your best to make the community a better place regardless of how many people act like jerks.

*points to 3rd quote in signature*

.. just hit you or hit on you.. :P

Hahahaha -_-

:laughing:

I meant more, yes it won't stop it, but if they are going to be jerks and asking politely to stop doesn't make them stop, may as well own them. For instance, despite the fact that my sister gets a ton of hate from people for being good at COD, she also gets a ton of respect as well, or at the very least, shows the hater who's boss.

And even if you aren't supermlg360snoscoperproelite the best way to fight back against haters is just to have a good time and to do your best to make the community a better place regardless of how many people act like jerks.

i wasnt trying to say that owning them is bad thing. If you are a girl gamer getting hated on, you have few options

a)own them and rub it in

b)mute them and ignore hate mail

c)quit

option A is the best by far, :thumbsup: as long as the girl is capable of it. Muting and ignoring looks like a sign of weakness to the haters, and quiting only looks more weak. The girl may not actually be weak, but it makes it look that way.

another good thing strategy though is just sound like you're having fun(laughing, joking, etc.). It can do one of two things: make the haters even more pissed off, or shows them that you could care less about their comments. I wouldnt say it is the best way, because it may just cause more problems for yourself

A and B are both equally good really, it's more dependent on the person. My sister will own them and trash talk back, and another I know just ignores it all.

Of course, this also easily applies to everyone in general. I've seen more then my fair share of hate mail, I generally just mute, and if I get a message, I laugh at them and block them.

This might be a long reply

In my opinion graphics can only hype a game up to a certain extent. on PS2 is still play GTA San Andreas, Vice City and 3. When I play Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 I cry at the end cause its such a nice moment at the end, despite the graphics being outdated. While god graphics help games out, the gameplay and the overall effect it gives you is how a game should be rated. Like Halo 3 campaign. The combination of the cutscenes, voice acting, gameplay, and MUSIC (key factor of a game in my opinion) makes the game perfect and I can play the campaign over and over without getting bored.

What you said about Halo 4 is on the money. Of course its going to be a little different. The title is being made by a brans new studio who will have their own twist and thoughts on how the game should be. While the game should have its basic core, people should not ***** about how petty changes will forever ruin the game or how not making any changes at all will be a waate. People are never satisfied.

At my school there is this one quiet, respectful kid who i talk to so I added him on LIVE. When I join his party he is cursing somebody out, being obnoxiously loud, and just has a completely different personalitly then in real life.

As for the girl gamers people who say "girls playing xbox are fat and ugly" never had a girlfriend or are trying to sound tough.

Im done venting =)

Exactly! Graphics are just like sound and music, you can have a game with bad music but good evertyhing else and it still be a good game. You can have a game with bad graphics but excellent everything else and it be a good game!

Graphics, like anything else are only a component they all serve to enhance the experience. If a game had good everything, but graphics that's fine. But wouldn't it be better if it was good in ever category? Of course! But people seem to forget a good story doesn't make a good game because horrible gameplay may completely ruin it.

I still get extremely emotional over Final Fantasy VI, doesn't matter if it doesn't look good. It's a great game in every other aspect.

@A Fhaol Bhig i really like all of your opinions on gaming and this was a great thread to make. I hope to see you expand more from just this topic and begin posting replies in other sections. I dont know if you have a lot of time to do so, but i would enjoy seeing around the forums more. You seem pretty cool and you'd fit it great witht the other members we have here

again, you may not have time to come on here much, but i enjoy conversing with you a lot anyways

I'm a guy, that's why I have never insulted a girl.

I'm a guy and I insult women all the time. Well just my girlfriend but she deserves it :P. The point is that say not to insult a girl is a bit pointless but I think we can both agree that insulting anyone for no reason other than the fact that they are female and play games is idiotic.

As for the topic at large, stereotypes do come from somewhere and so there will be some people that fulfil it. For example, as I'm studying a Chemistry degree, there's a certain stereotype surrounding me and science students in general. And some of those on my course (well a fair few) actually fit it. But then again most, including myself, don't.

The problem is the stereotypes arise as that is the one that is different from the average person and so that's the one that gets the most focus. Like most students I have friends, go out, work and all the normal stuff that someone at university does. And, because I fit into the background, I'm not noticed. Yet, all those who are loud, get drunk and throw up on old women at 2 in the afternoon are the ones the media focus on. As that's what gets the better focus.

I agree about the uproar against developers, my favourite example is Mass Effect (sure the ending really wasn't that good, but give credit for them going out their way to try and fix it. Yet the loudmouths still call it crap and state how Bioware are awful and fail at everything.) Like everything those people that are noticed can ruin it for everybody.

Like others have said, ignore it if you can. Go on Party chat so you don't have to listen to them or just mute them. I found that playing online with the average player was annoying to me so I looked around, found a group of people focused on mature gaming and joined them. Personally I think that's the best way; play with your friends, ignore the morons out there and just get on with it.

Or find a cure for human stupidity. I wish you luck on this account, for I fear the task is doomed forever.

• Like 1

I do believe that a lot of this harassment that yourself and the media like to point out is from the younger community. That is something that needs to be pointed out and made public to save the name of the more mature gaming community. When these problems are talked about, the media or whomever, group every person who plays a game online into one group. This is not fair at all, let me try to explain myself better.

While a huge chunk of "online gamers" are ages 15 or younger, there is still a large amount of mature older "online gamers". Now, although in town a huge chunk of "Restaurants" are fast food restaurants, there is still a good amount of 5 star restaurants around. Just because we see Mick D's, Tbell, and BurgKing selling terrible nasty food, having unsanitary eating space and rude low class customer service. Does that make it right or fair to Antonio's Italian, West Side Cuisine or Big Bubba's Steakhouse to say that all "Restaurants" in town are terrible places with terrible food?

But the media would never do that with the food business, or really anything outside of Online Gaming. They would state facts and give details and try to save the name of certain people in what ever the subjects field is.

My point that I am trying to make is that when it comes to things like Online Gaming, the media or whomever will never find it important enough to give details and save names. Therefore its the unfortunate truth that all of "online gamers" will catch bad reps anytime there is an issue with an "online gamer".

Now, as far as the whiners in most communities who like to do nothing but complain, those are the people that nobody should give any attention to. Unless of course they do make good point, because not all bad talk is a bad thing. Sometimes there are bad things that need to be pointed out. On the other hand when criticizing a subject, you cant just point out the bad, there does need to be some credit issued. That is what an intelligent open minded poster should do. The other posters who are whiners and dont have their intelligence to rely on, well they will only bash and cry and hate on the subject at hand because it is the easiest thing to do.

I hope I had made some sense to everyone in this post. The moral of it all is that, Not everyone in one group is the same and they shouldnt be treated as such. Also that we shouldn't pay any attention to the viruses in communities, just ignore them and they will be no burden.

• Like 2

Now, as far as the whiners in most communities who like to do nothing but complain, those are the people that nobody should give any attention to. Unless of course they do make good point, because not all bad talk is a bad thing. Sometimes there are bad things that need to be pointed out. On the other hand when criticizing a subject, you cant just point out the bad, there does need to be some credit issued. That is what an intelligent open minded poster should do. The other posters who are whiners and dont have their intelligence to rely on, well they will only bash and cry and hate on the subject at hand because it is the easiest thing to do.
This times a thousand.

I can't stand it when someone goes "OH BUT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT PEOPLE COMPLAINING!"

That's not the point!

If a country is committing genocide against another country, you don't go "Well they did it fifty years ago themselves!"

You can't solve problems without bringing them up, and yes, technically it is a "form" of whinging, but it's not whinging because he whined about someone else whining as long as the post is intelligent and makes good points in an attempt to placate, solve, or at least make others understand a POV.

@A Fhaol Bhig i really like all of your opinions on gaming and this was a great thread to make. I hope to see you expand more from just this topic and begin posting replies in other sections. I dont know if you have a lot of time to do so, but i would enjoy seeing around the forums more. You seem pretty cool and you'd fit it great witht the other members we have here

again, you may not have time to come on here much, but i enjoy conversing with you a lot anyways

I'm a bit hesitant to get to into forums because of past issues.

I agree with this. There is a lot of complaining people out there but guess what? I could care less for them, we don't need them. Games will be better off without them. Harassing women is stupid as well, why abuse the opposite sex male or female, that's not right at all. You are right, most of the stuff people say online wont be said in real life because they will get their jaws broken. I have had my share of hate mail, trolls and idiotic teammates. When you go to forums or any community site you do see all the large amounts of hate, i just plain out ignore it and move on, that's the only way they get attention is by people feeding them. So do me a favor people, ignore all of that and move on with enjoying your games. Games are here for one reason, fun. Yes, you can be competitive but there is a fine line between competitive and being a abusive keyboard warrior. I love being in matches where people are giving it their all to beat you, but after the game and before, the trash talking is simply not needed and stupid and shows immaturity.

*snip

Yes, you can be competitive but there is a fine line between competitive and being a abusive keyboard warrior. I love being in matches where people are giving it their all to beat you, but after the game and before, the trash talking is simply not needed and stupid and shows immaturity.

Speaking of which. I hate it when people act like just because you'd rather place Dance Central, you're not a "real" gamer. This imaginary divide between causal and "hardcore" gamers exists only in the minds of people who want to feel special or superior.

Clearly you spent a lot of time typing all this out. While this is all stuff I sort of knew already, you worded it very nicely and I can respect the effort you put into it. The gaming community is full of... well... I'm not sure what to call them without sounding low, what I'm getting at is that the best way to deal with these people, the best way to deal with anything in life really, is to simply not care.

For example people may try to start stuff with you on xbox live, don't ever send messages arguing back to them, that's what they want and in their eyes you've lost your cool. However, when I say 'simply not care', don't confuse that as just block them and ignore them. Maybe that's the more mature thing to do but these filth don't understand maturity, it's simply not enough to do nothing.

What you need to do is respond in a manner that lets them know exactly how much you don't give a crap, thus making them feel petty, their efforts futile. For example, in a Call of Duty match (World at War, if I recall) some guy was messaging me that I'm "****" and I "-expletive removed", so I used the xbox camera to take a picture of me posing lying across a chair with a creepy smile and a hotdog in my lap. I sent no text just the picture and waited for what he had to say.

I think he blocked me because I sent more pics but he never responded, but i think getting him to block me was pretty much the goal I had in mind anyway so it all worked out in the end. When you do stuff that doesn't make sense people don't know how to respond usually, it's an effective and fun way to ward off people you dislike.

• Like 1

What you need to do is respond in a manner that lets them know exactly how much you don't give a crap, thus making them feel petty, their efforts futile. For example, in a Call of Duty match (World at War, if I recall) some guy was messaging me that I'm "****" and I "-expletive removed-", so I used the xbox camera to take a picture of me posing lying across a chair with a creepy smile and a hotdog in my lap. I sent no text just the picture and waited for what he had to say.

I think he blocked me because I sent more pics but he never responded, but i think getting him to block me was pretty much the goal I had in mind anyway so it all worked out in the end. When you do stuff that doesn't make sense people don't know how to respond usually, it's an effective and fun way to ward off people you dislike.

You are...amazing.

That made my day dude XD

Anyways, I tend to just say whats on my mind, and then add blocked for being a ******. It's childish, but if they are going to insult me because they are butthurt over a game, then I'm not just going to block them, I'm going to let them know I think they are being idiots and then block them so they can't respond. Let them sit their all pissed off, meanwhile I'm having fun in the next game, and laughing at the dude with my friends.

Some might consider it hypocritical of me, and that'd be true to an extent, but I don't encourage it, nor do I send out hate mail for no reason myself.

I think people need to consider that being nice all the time just doesn't work, letting them know they are being idiots and blocking them might just stop them from doing it again.