Rank-restricted gametypes

Jestermeister

This is simply something that I feel could bring a lot more people into matchmaking and increase the matchmaking experience as a whole. If there were separate playlists for a set level of rank/skill to allow players to compete against similarly ranked/skilled players.

It could be interpreted in 3 similar ways.

1) Rank (level) Separation. (Using reach ranks as examples) A Slayer playlist for Recruits to Warrant Officers, another for Captain to Lt. Colonel, etc. This would have the least amount of usefulness as rank doesn't tell much about a player's skill.

2) Skill (Trueskill/1-50 from H3) Playlists with 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 etc for skill or a similar 'trueskill' number to filter players based on the game's estimation of their skill. More useful than 1st.

3) Leaderboard (KDR/the skill factor on Waypoint, I forgot the name) to filter players based on a more elaborate system or just how many kills vs. deaths they have. I feel that either would be effective in equally sorting out players.

I'd like to know what you guys think.

Option 3 Sounds like a good idea to me. It would be good for both new players and experienced ones, mainly due to a "level" playing field based on your K/D ratio and number of wins/loses = i.e the more you win the higher calibre of players you go up against.

(This is my 125th post, yay im a hunter)

I do not like this idea at all because rank doesn't really mean anything (whether it's reach system or trueskill). Now perhaps they could have a playlist for people that have all the loadout items unlocked or a playlist for the lowest of the lows so that they could be able to play without getting smacked around by more skilled players every game.

Aside from that I do not see the point in giving playlists by ranks because ranks in the Halo series have always been largely flawed in determining a players skill. Therefore this would accomplish nothing to funnel the players in with similarly matched opponents.

• Like 1

Another thing, i'm not suggesting that all gametypes/playlists are separated by whatever. This system would be separate from default matchmaking, i'm not asking that the whole of matchmaking is turned into something like what i'm proposing. I'd simply like some way to further filter players into even games, because having a bunch of average players and then 1 mlg-level player on the other team ripping apart everyone on your own team isn't all that fun. I like competition, not 1-sided bloodbaths.

even though the 1-50 is flawed it is still my favourite system. There was no better feeling than trying your guts out to get to that next level, and the anticipation at the end of the game waiting for the 4 second countdown to see if you get that next level.. The K/D option could possibly not work. For arguements sake, how would they differentiate say a legitimate level 50 with a 1.5k/d playing other legitimate 50's all day, to say, a level 20 with a 1.5k/d playing other level 20's all day... If they get matched up by K/D, the level 50 would walk all over the level 20. I think if 343 could put some serious thought into tweaking the 1-50 system to get rid of all the boosting, it could be good. People complain about new account starters, honestly this is always goin to happen and there is no way to fix that.

even though the 1-50 is flawed it is still my favourite system. There was no better feeling than trying your guts out to get to that next level, and the anticipation at the end of the game waiting for the 4 second countdown to see if you get that next level.. The K/D option could possibly not work. For arguements sake, how would they differentiate say a legitimate level 50 with a 1.5k/d playing other legitimate 50's all day, to say, a level 20 with a 1.5k/d playing other level 20's all day... If they get matched up by K/D, the level 50 would walk all over the level 20. I think if 343 could put some serious thought into tweaking the 1-50 system to get rid of all the boosting, it could be good. People complain about new account starters, honestly this is always goin to happen and there is no way to fix that.

I am with you on favoring the 1-50 system but if there had to be a new matchup system I would say use a mixture of K/D and games played. Because of the probable skill difference between X player: 2.0 K/D with 800 games played versus Y Player: 2.0 K/D with 10 games played. But as you said the 1-50 system could still be used with tweaks and there is no way to stop account starters. I believe COD tried to tackle this problem with the option to "reset" all your stats.

• Like 1

I think it would be awesome to bring back 1-50 and then letting people choose if they want to be put in a class with people of higher skill. For example:

You are a 25, you can opt to find matches with players that are a 35 or higher for more of a challenge.

Anyway, I think having skill based playlists would be alright because it would, sort of, give you something to look forward to but overall I see no real need for it. If you are good you should be paired with other good players no matter what you play. This is why I like BPR (I think that is what the Waypoint Rank is called) over truskill. The BPR tanks into consideration K/D, and W/L. I believe it should also include the number of games you have played, as has been said already.

The KDR/Win Loss option sounds pretty good to me. It would be helpful to me, even now I am trying to get my KDR up from 1.35

Yeah it seems like the best idea. I think it would be good if they kept you going up against players with just slightly higher K/D's than yourself most of the time. This would obviously mean you would sometimes end up with the highest K/D in a lobby, but most of the time playing against players that are just a little better than yourself would be great.

An issue that I would see coming in the future with the K/D and win combo would be that over time peoples K/D would be locked up. At a certain point you cant really raise your K/D significantly but the amount of games you're playing would just continue growing. Over time some people do get better at a game so their K/D over time may not actually reflect their current skill.

But then again this may not be a problem since in theory the veterans would still be competing against veterans.

yes but realistically really good players playing against really good players are still going to have an overall KD of say around 1.4 or so. what will stop the average players playing with say other average players with a 1.4 KD getting paired up against each other? One game you could go +20 against newcomers while the next game you could get matched up against the really good players and go -20.

yes but realistically really good players playing against really good players are still going to have an overall KD of say around 1.4 or so. what will stop the average players playing with say other average players with a 1.4 KD getting paired up against each other? One game you could go +20 against newcomers while the next game you could get matched up against the really good players and go -20.

The scenario I had in mind was quite similar but the idea I was getting at was that there could be players with a 1.4 K/D that was racking up say 3.0 K/D a game. This individuals K/D would not go up due to his high kills and deaths that he has achieved over his time of playing the game. But overall as you said the good players or average players will still be matched against each other.

I think that option 3 would make the most sense, considering leaderboard stats usually update faster than a person ranks up, making it a more accurate interpretation of how skilled the player is at the game. I'd like it if they returned to Halo 3's playlist system (social playlists, and competative playlists) though.

i personally do not think k/d should be used to organize lobbies. k/d means nothing when it comes to a players real skills. players need to be able to go for objectives, as well as get kills. Going for an object is allmost a doorway to deaths, but there are always the openings that people take advantage of. If a player has an extremely high k/d like 2.0, you can assume they get their kills off of players that go for objectives. If they played in slayer gametypes, theor k/d would definately not be as high. They could have no talent at all, but the objective players are like sitting ducks to them. I have never thoguht of a player to be good by just looking at their k/d.

look into the BPR system that halo waypoint uses. It seems to be pretty accurate when it comes to skill, and i think this should be used for matchmaking

BPR is what I was trying to get at with Op3, just forgot what it was called. It seems to me to be a very accurate system, and paired with a few other things, such as BlackOps's 'Performance in last x-amount games' and the amount of time you've put in to the game, would be the most logical system to use.

With the performance in previous games, if you are generally a, say, 1.4 KDR player, and the last 5 games you've averaged 0.9 KDR, the matchmaker would attempt to put you in a match/lobby with an average KDR in between 0.9/1.4. Or, the same idea if you've been doing something like 1.9 KDR for the past few games.

(Thanks for all the feedback too :thumbup:)