Halo: Combat Evolved Muliplayer Servers Shutting Down

Adam91

I remember when we used to sneak a portable version of Halo CE onto our high school's shared network drive - we would have class-wide LAN parties.

It's probably for the best that gamespy and halo die out. I'm not sure if it'll really be worth the effort to adopt steamworks integration in a game that was released in 2005, and more to the point the majority of halo players nowadays are, curiously enough, Brazilians playing a pirated/cracked copy of halo 1.61.

That said, I'm definitely going to find my halo 1 disc and play a few rounds of race and CTF before May 31...

I bought the game when it first came out, at the time it was the best game I had ever played, that being said it still is. It fails to surprise me how I never get sick of it. I just had a LAN party with my friend yesterday and said when he comes back into the country in April we'll do the same thing, it makes me sad now that yesterday was my last game with him :(

I bought the game when it first came out, at the time it was the best game I had ever played, that being said it still is. It fails to surprise me how I never get sick of it. I just had a LAN party with my friend yesterday and said when he comes back into the country in June we'll do the same thing, it makes me sad now that yesterday was my last game with him :(

I regularly bought the game and played it for more than 5 years.

I suppose that if I buy a "full game" this will still "fully playable" at least long as the terms of copyright  (70 years), if not this rule will be broken (and we all know that these rights nowdays are often used to block many users in many ways, so we can't reclaim OUR rights now?) and at least to me seem right to give us back our money multiplicated for the hours we spent on it.

Insane proposal right? Too bad...

I don't see the reason to shut down GameSpy with all its old school games, they haven't stunning graphics, true, but they still have an unbelievable gameplay on which you can dream about it on limited new games, remember, you can create the game, but is the people who choose which game is better.

I hope you guys at 343 can feel our hearts throbbing for this amazing game, and let it us taste it over and over again PLEASE ;)

Everyone keep sign and sharing, I am sure there are more than +15k players that still don't know about what is happening:    https://www.change.org/petitions/steam-adopt-halo-combat-evolved-custom-edition-multiplayer#

Halo <3

there is over 16k of us now.  Our clan is an active clan with over 100 active players. I dont wish to see this game go. I got the game in 2004 and i been buying the game throught out the years.  I really do wish that 343 does something to save this amazing game

our site is www.joinoz.proboards.com

The site still very active

Don't worry guys, Look what i found today at Gameranger :

Halo now on GameRanger

There have been recent announcements of server shutdowns for many games that unfortunately used GameSpy for multiplayer. This has happened many times in the past for individual games, but this is the final shutdown and affects the remained of those games.

I'll be working to try and get as many as possible onto GameRanger, so they'll continue to live on.

The first of these:
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Halo: Combat Evolved Demo
- Halo: Custom Edition

Many more to come!

get gameranger at Gameranger.com ! Keep playing :D!

Guest Tristan

Don't Worry! Gameranger is a service that host servers for games that have had their servers shut down also (even games like the first Age of Empires, made in 1997) They've just said to all their users they're trying to host servers with Halo: CE now that it's going.

Guest Interact

Don't worry guys, Look what i found today at Gameranger :

get gameranger at Gameranger.com ! Keep playing :D!

The only two things I could see here is that gameranger modified the the code of halos client + dedicated server or they bought the master server.  If they just modified the client (which I have no clue if they did or not) then only home hosted servers would work.  If they bought the master server then everyone will still be able to view the server list without gamegranger.

Guest Halo4Ever

Don't Worry! Gameranger is a service that host servers for games that have had their servers shut down also (even games like the first Age of Empires, made in 1997) They've just said to all their users they're trying to host servers with Halo: CE now that it's going.

To be honest i don't care which Master server will be used, the most important thing is that we can still play Halo without side effects of course, i.e: pay to play, advertisments, limitations; to host, to mod, to use things like SAPP and HAC2  etc...because you know, as i already said and like many of us,  i've already "regularly bought" the game, and then i will fully play it.

Guest killzone64

gameranger sucks, it is basically a private tunnel much like a mix of tunngle and xfire, it shows you who is playing on a server (only the players using gameranger will show up all othr servers with 0 people will be invisible) a third party application called hac2 is working on remedying that by adding in a custom serverlist which should function just like it did before. the devs of opensauce, a grapical/functional extension to halo custom edition, will also be adding in the ability to add custom serverlists.

halo is not over, were just getting started

hac 2: http://blog.haloanticheat.com/

opensauce: https://code.google.com/p/open-sauce/

examples of opensauce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8agPfnpL0