•  

Toggle shoutbox 343i Community Shoutbox

@  343iBot : (09 December 2019 - 08:34 AM) Welcome to the forums, Mikaelaerop! :welcome: View Mikaelaerop's Profile
@  343iBot : (07 December 2019 - 05:05 PM) Welcome to the forums, MichaelAleva! :welcome: View MichaelAleva's Profile
@  KhevaKins : (07 December 2019 - 09:01 AM) Did you guys know Reach came out on PC?
@  343iBot : (06 December 2019 - 07:26 PM) Welcome to the forums, Saber256! :welcome: View Saber256's Profile
@  Tommy : (06 December 2019 - 04:41 PM) Here comes all the new accounts flowing in haha
@  343iBot : (05 December 2019 - 07:08 AM) Welcome to the forums, EmiLekA! :welcome: View EmiLekA's Profile
@  343iBot : (04 December 2019 - 07:10 PM) Welcome to the forums, Sallyovace! :welcome: View Sallyovace's Profile
@  I_Make_Big_Boom : (04 December 2019 - 02:44 PM) the masta pasta race
@  Twinreaper : (04 December 2019 - 06:50 AM) hola amigos...welcome to the masta race lol
@  Halo6 Follower : (03 December 2019 - 09:26 PM) Rejoice!
@  Tony le Lava... : (03 December 2019 - 06:00 PM) The day I've been waiting for years has finally come :)
@  343iBot : (03 December 2019 - 02:38 PM) Welcome to the forums, ScytheFG! :welcome: View ScytheFG's Profile
@  343iBot : (02 December 2019 - 12:38 PM) Welcome to the forums, Richardjup! :welcome: View Richardjup's Profile
@  343iBot : (01 December 2019 - 04:23 PM) Welcome to the forums, Michaelbanny! :welcome: View Michaelbanny's Profile
@  343iBot : (30 November 2019 - 10:11 PM) Welcome to the forums, PhilipdAype! :welcome: View PhilipdAype's Profile
@  343iBot : (29 November 2019 - 06:12 PM) Welcome to the forums, Onecapper! :welcome: View Onecapper's Profile
@  343iBot : (29 November 2019 - 02:13 AM) Welcome to the forums, brownE7! :welcome: View brownE7's Profile
@  343iBot : (28 November 2019 - 11:01 PM) Welcome to the forums, duaneblynn! :welcome: View duaneblynn's Profile
@  343iBot : (28 November 2019 - 05:37 AM) Welcome to the forums, jonathanK! :welcome: View jonathanK's Profile
@  Vitamin Pwn : (26 November 2019 - 08:25 PM) nay nay nay!

Photo

343iCommunity Plays XCom 2!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 RedStarRocket91

RedStarRocket91

Secord's Protégé

• Legendary Members
  • 2,224 posts
Legendary
  • Gamertag:RedStarRocket91
  • LocationThe Highlands
   4                3                           

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while now, and this week marks finally putting it into action! Over the next few weeks, I'll be playing through XCom 2, using a variety of Halo-themed mods and with your Spartans in what I'm hoping will make for a really interesting and exciting series, and help tide over fans of Halo tactics and strategy games until the release of Halo Wars 2 next year.

As of right now, there's no fixed schedule for uploads: instead, I'm going to try and upload 3-4 videos per week, dependent mostly upon my work schedule, and the format of each video will hopefully be that we start just prior to going on a mission, and then follow up with whatever happens on the world map up until the next mission is ready after the first finishes. This thread will be updated every time a new video is released, so do feel free to follow it for regular updates, or keep an eye on our Twitter, the shoutbox link bar, and my status updates to see when the next part arrives.

I really hope you'll enjoy watching this series as much as I'm sure I'll enjoy playing it, and please do leave feedback, whether here or on the videos themselves. In the meantime, if you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a post below and I'll reply to you as soon as possible, or check below to see if I've already answered it!

What mods are you using?

Spoiler

I didn't sign up before the start, can my Spartan still join?

Spoiler

Can I make changes to my Spartan during the series?

Spoiler

Who will die first?

Spoiler

• Ardent Prayer , Church , Sikslik7 and 4 others like this

Verbosity is not a crime.

#2 Yoshi1176

Yoshi1176

Co-Founder of HTA

• Event Management
  • 1,819 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:Yoshi1176
  • LocationSan Francisco
            8          2          5               

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

This was really fun to watch, you've got yourself a good thing here Red. I look forward to future episodes. Also, please make sure SikSlik is used as a distraction. Send him straight into the enemy while the rest of us prepare ourselves.
  • RedStarRocket91 and Halo6 Follower like this

Posted Image

First Presidential MoM

First person to serve two consecutive terms as president of the USF

10th and 11th President of the USF

#3 Halo6 Follower

Halo6 Follower

The Forum Follower

• Community Moderators
  • 726 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:BatedSuperior5
  • Location'Straya!
            10             2    2      

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

Wow...Just...Wow. Well done RSR. Very well done.

I can't wait for future installments. I haven't had this much fun watching a video since that siege with the pikes and the stairs!  

Spoiler

Edited by Halo6 Follower, 28 July 2016 - 05:58 AM.

• RedStarRocket91 likes this
Posted Image

The Purple shall stay. Thanks to JXZAW for putting up with my cat placement!

#4 Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan

Jack of all Trades

• 4,039 posts
Legendary
  • Gamertag:LL Kool D
6       2       2                        

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

This was really fun to watch. I love being able to watch our Spartans from overhead with great detail. Those models are really great.
  • RedStarRocket91 , Ardent Prayer and Halo6 Follower like this
"And for the record, I would've kicked your *** the first time if the lady hadn't stopped me."

#5 Sikslik7

Sikslik7

The Sicilian

• Community Moderators
  • 2,129 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:sikslik7
  • LocationStorming The Castle
      7    2    2    2       2               

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

This was really fun to watch, you've got yourself a good thing here Red. I look forward to future episodes. Also, please make sure SikSlik is used as a distraction. Send him straight into the enemy while the rest of us prepare ourselves.

I'm sorry, but I'm so good that I have to be unlocked... and thanks for volunteering yourself.

33rd to reach 1000 posts (favorite number)

#6 Guts

Guts

The Black Swordsman

• Dedicated Members
  • 971 posts
Inspiring
  • LocationIreland
7    6                  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

Ok, good to know we have have a meat shield. Thanks Yoshi.

I'm looking forward to the next part!
  • RedStarRocket91 and Drizzy_Dan like this

berserk_guts_forum_signature_by_edd000-d

#7 Ardent Prayer

Ardent Prayer

Inconsistent with site activity

• Legendary Members
  • 1,045 posts
Dedicated
  • Gamertag:TheArdentPrayer
  • LocationOrange County, Southern California, USA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

"If someone has to die, well, you know who that'll be."

*whispering* Yoshi, Yoshi, Yoshi...

Twitter | Reddit | Twitch | Waypoint | Bungie.net | Steam | Discord: Ardent#2396

Just your average friendly forum user and Halo fan.

PM me for more contact details or misc.

#8 RedStarRocket91

RedStarRocket91

Secord's Protégé

• Legendary Members
  • 2,224 posts
Legendary
  • LocationThe Highlands
   4                3                           

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

This week, I'm bringing you something slightly special: a two-parter! That's right, this mission was so fantastic it had to be split into two segments, and this most certainly is not the result of some incredibly serious bugs which prevented me from being able to progress completely, necessitating lengthy testing of the mods I was using in order to find out what was wrong.

In any case, the first episode is focused mostly on actually meeting all of our Spartans, so if you want to get acquainted with our heroes, it's a good place to start. If, however, you'd like to get straight to the action, you might want to jump straight in to part two.

I like to think this series is all about asking questions, and so in the spirit of the recordings, I'm going to pose a few for you to ponder while you're watching. In the meantime, I really hope you enjoy the videos, and as ever, please feel free to post any feedback you have, state any changes you'd like to make to your Spartan, or just post a 'drizi pls'.

What's up with the delay?

Spoiler

What's this about broken mods?

Spoiler

Does Drizzy die?

Spoiler

• Drizzy_Dan , Halo6 Follower and D-38 Boss like this

#9 D-38 Boss

D-38 Boss

Delta-1138

• Art Group
  • 1,799 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:xXRC BossXx
  • LocationThe Hideout
11       2         

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Dope vid, mang.

76561198014783625.png

#10 Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan

Jack of all Trades

• 4,039 posts
Legendary
6       2       2                        

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Lol character backgrounds being read. Twam's character is so good. Really enjoyed the 2-parter Red. 

"And for the record, I would've kicked your *** the first time if the lady hadn't stopped me."

#11 D-38 Boss

D-38 Boss

Delta-1138

• Art Group
  • 1,799 posts
Heroic
  • LocationThe Hideout
11       2         

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:03 PM

Hilariously enough, I think I've been playing with easily triple the mods you are, Longwar Tool box included, and I've not had a single issue.

76561198014783625.png

#12 D-38 Boss

D-38 Boss

Delta-1138

• Art Group
  • 1,799 posts
Heroic
  • LocationThe Hideout
11       2         

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Also, Red... Seriously... why u no use Overwatch ambushes?

• RedStarRocket91 , Drizzy_Dan and Halo6 Follower like this

76561198014783625.png

#13 RedStarRocket91

RedStarRocket91

Secord's Protégé

• Legendary Members
  • 2,224 posts
Legendary
  • LocationThe Highlands
   4                3                           

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

What's this? Two missions in two days? Will we be able to sustain such a staggeringly rapid production speed!?

Spoiler

Today's mission chronicles the progress of Operation Sacred Heart, a daring raid into the heart of the ADVENT-controlled city of Novgorod to rescue Dr Catherine Halsey Lena Krause from their clutches. Will we succeed? Will Drizzy die? Will Red ever pronounce anything correctly? Join us on today's video and find out!

Also, Red... Seriously... why u no use Overwatch ambushes?

This is a really good question!

I don't like using them because while I admit they have a lot of potential, I don't like the fact that you sacrifice control. There's a very real chance with an ambush that it's not going to wipe a pod - a shot could miss, or not do enough damage, or target the wrong enemy, or whatever, and then we have to face a turn of enemy fire from targets who might well be able to move to flank us or otherwise land damage on our dudes.

But if I just open fire with one guy - I still get that free attack, with a high chance of a crit, and then regardless of where the enemy moves I can still react to it. Yeah, the initial shot percentages might be lower, but even if something goes wrong and a shot misses or doesn't do enough damage, I can still assess the situation, decide 'this is the new best course of action', and then carry it out, whether that means going for a flank attack, grenades, or prioritising one target over the others.

Basically, I just like the extra control I get from not spending all my actions at once. Looks a bit less spectacular and doesn't have that same potential to wipe a squad in one go, but I tend to find it's a bit less risky overall.

• Drizzy_Dan , Yoshi1176 and Halo6 Follower like this

#14 Yoshi1176

Yoshi1176

Co-Founder of HTA

• Event Management
  • 1,819 posts
Heroic
  • Gamertag:Yoshi1176
  • LocationSan Francisco
            8          2          5               

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:45 AM

Dumb question here and it probably has already been answered.

Sometimes you miss or don't kill one of the aliens, or they move and don't attack. Why do they never attack. I don't want anyone to die of course (except Sikslik and Drizzy) but I don't see how anyone could die if the bad guys don't shoot.

#confused #killsikslik2016

Posted Image

First Presidential MoM

First person to serve two consecutive terms as president of the USF

10th and 11th President of the USF

#15 RedStarRocket91

RedStarRocket91

Secord's Protégé

• Legendary Members
  • 2,224 posts
Legendary
  • LocationThe Highlands
   4                3                           

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

Dumb question here and it probably has already been answered.

Sometimes you miss or don't kill one of the aliens, or they move and don't attack. Why do they never attack. I don't want anyone to die of course (except Sikslik and Drizzy) but I don't see how anyone could die if the bad guys don't shoot.

#confused #killsikslik2016

Another good question!

This is something I'd forgotten isn't really obvious to those who haven't played the newer XCom games, so I apologise, I should have covered this in the video. Basically, as soon as an enemy pod is activated (they come under fire from one of our soldiers, catch sight of one of our soldiers, drop in as reinforcements, etc.), they immediately get a single free move action - but only a move action. This happens every time a pod is activated, regardless of whether it's during our turn or the enemy turn, and once it does, the enemy can't take any actions until their next turn, where they can take normal actions. The sole exception is if one of them walks into a position where they are flanking one of our soldiers who's trying to stay concealed - then they might just shoot.

Therefore, if an enemy pod activates during the enemy turn, all they can do is move to a new position, and we get a whole turn to attack them - plus any overwatch fire we get when they're activated! If a pod activates during our turn, they still get their free move, but then they can immediately start shooting and attacking as normal during their own turn. As a result, I generally prefer to try and activate enemy pods during their own turn, since we then have a full round of actions to fight them with on top of, potentially, some 'free' attacks with overwatch.

It might sound a little obvious, but you really do want to kill enemies as soon as possible, since combat in XCom is extremely lethal. Particularly at this stage in the game, if an enemy survives to actually attack our soldiers, they are quite capable of one-hit-killing them, since their standard attacks deal 2-4 damage and our rookies only have 4HP to begin with. Sectoids do even more. Because of this, I do everything I can to wipe out enemies on the turn they appear, since not killing an enemy means a shot at us, and a shot at us means a pretty high chance of someone being killed.

• Church , Yoshi1176 and Halo6 Follower like this

#16 RedStarRocket91

RedStarRocket91

Secord's Protégé

• Legendary Members
  • 2,224 posts
Legendary
  • LocationThe Highlands
   4                3                           

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

I apologise for yet another lengthy delay to uploading: after reviewing the earlier footage, I wasn't happy with the overall quality, and so I've invested in a new microphone and improved video editing software, which i hope you'll agree makes a big difference as we engage on Operation Iron King!

Spoiler

• Church , Drizzy_Dan and Halo6 Follower like this

#17 Halo6 Follower

Halo6 Follower

The Forum Follower

• Community Moderators
  • 726 posts
Inspiring
  • Gamertag:BatedSuperior5
  • Location'Straya!
            10             2    2      

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

xD 

You have my permission to select whichever perk you feel is best. 

Or does it have to be exclusively from Regular or Irregular?? If not, yeah just go with whatever you feel is the most helpful.

Awesome series RSR, please keep them coming!  

Posted Image

The Purple shall stay. Thanks to JXZAW for putting up with my cat placement!

#18 D-38 Boss

D-38 Boss

Delta-1138

• Art Group
  • 1,799 posts
Heroic
  • LocationThe Hideout
11       2         

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:36 AM

Another great video Red. And I know you're trying to use member spartans predominantly right now, but... Your roster is FRAGILE right now. One misstep, and you're gonna have to work pretty hard to keep the roster from crumbling. Start rotating in some other peeps for at least a single slot while you're still on the opening missions.

76561198014783625.png

#19 Drizzy_Dan

Drizzy_Dan

Jack of all Trades

• 4,039 posts
Legendary
6       2       2                        

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

I gotta say, this turn-based style gameplay is actually quite exciting to watch. Risking soldiers and shots add to that fun of not knowing. And good commentary as well. It's a shame these missions can't be shorter, that's my only gripe with this. I had to break it into different viewing sessions to watch it all because I had to do other things. This is great fun though Red, good work.

#20 RedStarRocket91

RedStarRocket91

Secord's Protégé

• Legendary Members
  • 2,224 posts
Legendary
  • LocationThe Highlands
   4                3                           

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

I gotta say, this turn-based style gameplay is actually quite exciting to watch. Risking soldiers and shots add to that fun of not knowing. And good commentary as well. It's a shame these missions can't be shorter, that's my only gripe with this. I had to break it into different viewing sessions to watch it all because I had to do other things. This is great fun though Red, good work.

Breaking missions down into 'highlight reels' with only the actual actions rather than my decision-making time, and then recording commentary retrospectively is something I've actually considered doing: we'd end up with videos which are quite a bit shorter, and with a much higher proportion of action. That said, I know people might also be interested in my decision-making processes, so thus far I've mostly just been doing things live so people can listen in to that.

I might try it when the time comes to record the next video though - see if I can record the mic audio and game footage separately, and then produce a both a normal video and a reduced-length, highlights-only one, and we can see which type people prefer :)

• Halo6 Follower likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users