Agent Locke will be a playable character in Halo 5: Guardians

So, he is not a LOCKEd character? That is fabulous news indeed... Just wondering what his gameplay will be like, with the new Spartan Abilities, it's a curiosity to find out if he wields any himself... Or if he's like chief, hyper lethal with merely a sidearm.

We shall see.

• Like 1

So Agent Locke is a Spartan-IV?

Looks that way, although that said he could be a recovered washout of the Spartan-II programme like Osman, or an enhanced Spartan-III like the members of Noble Team, as both generations of Spartan have also worked for ONI in the past.

I wonder if, assuming that they're both playable protagonists, there's going to be any notable gameplay differences between Locke and the Chief? Certainly the armour that Locke's wearing looks quite radically different to anything we've seen before, so perhaps he'll have different Spartan Abilities, and of course being ONI he might have access to different equipment.

From the trailer we saw at E3 showing Locke trying to trace the Chief's history, I'm wondering if Halo 5: Guardians could perhaps be set up as a Halo 3: ODST style of thing? You play as Locke in a big overworld or at least quieter versions of the regular missions tasked with hunting down the Chief, with an emphasis on stealth and exploration. When you get to a relevant clue or piece of evidence there's a flashback where you to get to play out what happened as the Chief in the traditional linear Halo style of mission, and at the end of the game both Spartans reunite to save the galaxy/try to kill each other. It would definitely form a nice narrative device, and since Locke is a fully fleshed-out character rather than just a player avatar like the Rookie, it could create some great storytelling opportunities.

• Like 2

448.jpg

Has anyone seen the first look? Looks like this is before he is a Spartan or something like that. Also wonder if they are talking about flood related something.

Warning, speculation incoming!

What if this element who-ha has something to do with the flood. The precursors are all mad at humans for some reason, so now they have this thing which only targets humans. Fast-forward x amount of years and we find out this thing is now threatening humanity and it is discovered to be flood related. And who defeated the flood in the past? Master Chief! So now Locke, who has first hand experience with this thing has been hand picked to find Master Chief and get his help.

But Master Chief is all sad now and won't help unless Cortana is back. :( Something will happen where Master Chief realizes that he doesn't need Cortana and decides to help humanity. Somewhere the Didact will also be involved.

Edited by WonderWombat

This sounds very interesting. If it's like Halo 2, with a split-campaign, that'd be pretty great. But I also liked what Red had said about it being like ODST, which I enjoyed very much as well. If the Chief wasn't in it at all though, I'd be very shocked, which then again, ODST nor Reach had the Chief in them, and they were still good games, so who knows how it will turn out. I am very excited for the new series as well.

Looks that way, although that said he could be a recovered washout of the Spartan-II programme like Osman, or an enhanced Spartan-III like the members of Noble Team, as both generations of Spartan have also worked for ONI in the past.

Considering that Nightfall has been billed as an origin story for Locke, it takes place after Halo 4 and prior to Halo 5, and Locke is seen wearing ODST armor, I'd assume he's a Spartan-IV.

I wonder if, assuming that they're both playable protagonists, there's going to be any notable gameplay differences between Locke and the Chief? Certainly the armour that Locke's wearing looks quite radically different to anything we've seen before, so perhaps he'll have different Spartan Abilities, and of course being ONI he might have access to different equipment.

From the trailer we saw at E3 showing Locke trying to trace the Chief's history, I'm wondering if Halo 5: Guardians could perhaps be set up as a Halo 3: ODST style of thing? You play as Locke in a big overworld or at least quieter versions of the regular missions tasked with hunting down the Chief, with an emphasis on stealth and exploration. When you get to a relevant clue or piece of evidence there's a flashback where you to get to play out what happened as the Chief in the traditional linear Halo style of mission, and at the end of the game both Spartans reunite to save the galaxy/try to kill each other. It would definitely form a nice narrative device, and since Locke is a fully fleshed-out character rather than just a player avatar like the Rookie, it could create some great storytelling opportunities.

Thanks for the reply. I'd also think he might be a Spartan-III, I doubt a Spartan-II though. If he was a Spartan-II it's likely that we'd already know about him, Chief certainly would. He's most likely to be an ONI agent that's suited as a Spartan-IV, or previously an ODST like JL suggested.

I'd also expect there to be a noticeable change in the HUD. A Spartan-IV HUD, and a Spartan-II (with MJOLNIR Mark-VI Armour) HUD. Different layout, different options with it. Agent Locke's HUD would be far more advanced.

I like where you're going with the Halo 3: ODST idea. I doubt it'll be anything like that but I see what you mean. When ever Locke get's to an area the Chief was at, it could take you back to a mission where Chief was actually killing whatever enemy there was in that area. He'll keep tracking these until he finds him in the end. I don't think it'll work out well though. It could just show two different sides of the story like what was done with Halo 2 between Chief and the Arbiter.

This is very exciting for me. Personally I think Halo is overdue for another playable character, it should make the game more interesting. I'm also hoping the Arbiter will return (I'm very sure he will) and be playable as well. I've always loved being a Sangheili(:

Maybe eventually in later Halo games we will get to choose which characters we want to play as (similar to Borderlands maybe?) and they could each have different stories? Or maybe that could be a Halo spin-off? That would be cool, but it's just a thought of mine(:

• 2 weeks later...