Is there a better headset than Turtle Beach?

Echo

Here's my deal with the Turtle Beach headset... I think it's a great headset, and I love using it for my PC gaming, but when I try to play with it on Xbox I get 2 options..

I can either..

A) Make ALL the sound come through my headset, which is fun but not always what I want (especially since turning it up too loud will make the sound pick up on my headset, forcing people to hear what I'm listening to).

or

B) Play with the sound coming from the TV and the voices going through my headset, but MUTING the TV... cause the Turtle Beach headset picks up sound so well EVERYONE can hear my TV lol and they normally complain about it...

I've had this headset for a while and was wondering what you guys have been using for Halo/etc lately. I haven't kept up with headsets so I figured I should ask people with experience before I go into a store and get told to buy the most expensive thing.

I have a $20 generic Xbox headset, but...... yea...

Thanks ahead of time for any advice

Here's my deal with the Turtle Beach headset... I think it's a great headset, and I love using it for my PC gaming, but when I try to play with it on Xbox I get 2 options..

I can either..

A) Make ALL the sound come through my headset, which is fun but not always what I want (especially since turning it up too loud will make the sound pick up on my headset, forcing people to hear what I'm listening to).

or

B) Play with the sound coming from the TV and the voices going through my headset, but MUTING the TV... cause the Turtle Beach headset picks up sound so well EVERYONE can hear my TV lol and they normally complain about it...

I've had this headset for a while and was wondering what you guys have been using for Halo/etc lately. I haven't kept up with headsets so I figured I should ask people with experience before I go into a store and get told to buy the most expensive thing.

I have a $20 generic Xbox headset, but...... yea...

Thanks ahead of time for any advice

Well... There are headsets out there that have better sound than some Turtle Beach headsets, but have some functionality problems. (Short cords, buzzing, etc.) The headset I have right now is the Turtle Beach Earforce PX3. It's engineered for PS3 primarily, but it also works for Xbox 360, PC, and Mac. Only thing about this one is if you buy the corded one you have to treat it well because it's more fragile. I have the wireless one which is about $150 so I would go for that one if it's in your price range. If you're looking for a versatile headset with great sound and a great mic, you should check this one out.

• Like 1

I have the PX headphones as well but mine are corded, love them although the cords can be annoying sometimes. I almost never use tv volume anymore everything goes through the headset and I don't have a problem. I would say just adjust your volume and distance from tv and you will be fine.

OH! I know why I hated using the volume through my headset, it won't let me use HDMI with it. Or I at least never figured out how to plug it in properly..

It's got a red and white aux cables (like the red white and yellow) Is it suppose to let me use HDMI with them? If so, maybe I'm doing it wrong or it's defective

Actually, im not even sure if i have the original cables... cause some of these aren't hooking up properly lol

OH! I know why I hated using the volume through my headset, it won't let me use HDMI with it. Or I at least never figured out how to plug it in properly..

It's got a red and white aux cables (like the red white and yellow) Is it suppose to let me use HDMI with them? If so, maybe I'm doing it wrong or it's defective

Actually, im not even sure if i have the original cables... cause some of these aren't hooking up properly lol

Ah! Okay, I was reading through your original post and was confused by what you were trying to accomplish. Now I fully understand.

Unfortunately, there is no way to hook it directly up via HDMI, you need to use the red/white audio jacks. Obviously there aren't any on the back of the 360, so you either A.) need to plug it into your TV, or B.) plug it into an adapter on your 360.

Out of curiosity, what model do you use?

I have a pair of the X12's, and don't have any complaints from friends about them hearing my headset as background noise. They are loud enough that I don't have to turn the volume on the headset way up, and when I'm using them I mute the TV to avoid the sensitivity issues with the mic.

That being said, there are Turtle Beach headsets that allow you to use an optical connection, giving you full digital sound, but they are a bit more expensive, obviously.

I'm sorry, but what's the point of buying a Turtle Beach if you're going to be playing with your sound coming through your TV?

I played competitive Call of Duty for a few years, which was when I bought my Turtle Beach X11 headset. I had it for (I want to say 2-3 years?) and I don't remember a single problem I had with them. I wanted one with cords - I despise batteries. It picked up my voice well and I was able to play without disturbing others in the house, as I was the only one who could hear the gameplay. They're great headsets, in my opinion, and cannot be beat for the money. I could hear everything clearly, and knew exactly where any footsteps were coming from. Like I said - I had no complaints with them, I loved them. However, if you're just using headphones for speech, I definitely wouldn't recommend a $60+ headset. Use the one that comes with the console, it works fine.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but what's the point of buying a Turtle Beach if you're going to be playing with your sound coming through your TV?

I played competitive Call of Duty for a few years, which was when I bought my Turtle Beach X11 headset. I had it for (I want to say 2-3 years?) and I don't remember a single problem I had with them. I wanted one with cords - I despise batteries. It picked up my voice well and I was able to play without disturbing others in the house, as I was the only one who could hear the gameplay. They're great headsets, in my opinion, and cannot be beat for the money. I could hear everything clearly, and knew exactly where any footsteps were coming from. Like I said - I had no complaints with them, I loved them. However, if you're just using headphones for speech, I definitely wouldn't recommend a $60+ headset. Use the one that comes with the console, it works fine.

After using my Turtle Beaches for so long I cant stand the regular mics. My Turtle Beach's are just to comfy and nice.

• Like 1

aren't you all forgetting something...? ASTRO's (ASTRO A50's and A40's). these are by far the absolute best choice when it comes to a console gaming headset. superb build quality, superior sound, and amazing design. versatile in every way possible. only downside is the high price ($250-$300), but it's well worth the money. beats turtle beach/triton/whatever horrible brands in about every other aspect.

aren't you all forgetting something...? ASTRO's (ASTRO A50's and A40's). these are by far the absolute best choice when it comes to a console gaming headset. superb build quality, superior sound, and amazing design. versatile in every way possible. only downside is the high price ($250-$300), but it's well worth the money. beats turtle beach/triton/whatever horrible brands in about every other aspect.

Lol, way to make a first impression <_< Astros are good but like you stated too expensive. This is a headset, not another console. :P

• Like 2

I've never played with Astros - but unless the performance, comfortability, convenience, AND features are 5x as nice as the X11s (which would be indicated by the price tag, literally 5 times as much), I think I'll stick with Turtle Beaches. After all, I'd much rather pay $60 for a pretty nice headset than $300 for a superb set.

After using my Turtle Beaches for so long I cant stand the regular mics. My Turtle Beach's are just to comfy and nice.

I totally agree! I got rid of my X11s when I got rid of my last console, and I dread having to put on that standard mic every time I start up my new console. I'm going to get a new set one of these days. A friend of mine refuses to buy any more Beaches, he's snapped the plastic on 2 different sets within a month of each other. I've never had a set break on me, I don't see why people have to be so rough with their equipment.

• Like 1

I've never played with Astros - but unless the performance, comfortability, convenience, AND features are 5x as nice as the X11s (which would be indicated by the price tag, literally 5 times as much), I think I'll stick with Turtle Beaches. After all, I'd much rather pay $60 for a pretty nice headset than $300 for a superb set.

Well to be honest, I also just despise the overall design of ANY Turtle Beach or Triton headset. They are just soo unappealing to me. -.-

But everyone has their own personal opinion, this is just me. :P