343 don't make the same mistake as Bungie

iCaPWN3d

I'll try to keep it short and I hope someone from 343 comes across this or is already aware of this problem. As I'm sure most Halo trilogy fans will agree with this, one of the major issues with Halo Reach and basically why it was such an epic fail is the "time is credits" leveling system. Players must be rewarded for how they play not how long they play. Players must be able to de-rank, this sorts out the good from the bad. Also, players who win matches or who do well in matches should be given more experience than those who lose or do poorly, this will give the game a more competitive/addictive experience. With Halo 4 it is imperative that you implement a ranking system that reflects a players skill, if not the games population will slowly wither away in time and suffer the same fate as Reach.

And just so there's no confusion I'm not saying Halo Reach is entirely ****, the visuals(modeling, effects, animation, etc...) are absolutely amazing and the story was also good. Bungie just made a lot of stupid mistakes with the main engine, the programing side of things, the leveling system, and other things like armor abilities and bloom which I don't want to get into right now cause then i'll have a bunch of bungie fan boys telling me how they love to use armor lock and spam with the AR.

Op I kind of agree with you, as much as in the fact levels reward time played.

I am a great example of that I am currently 35,000cR away from Mythic, which is what 7 games of Firefight for me.

I would fall into the category of Firefighter Expert lol.

But isnt there a performance payout in the cR totals at the end, which if I am not mistaken is based on ingame performance, maybe this needs to give out more cR so the Mm experts get more cR whilst average Joes like me get less on the performance payout.

Yes you're correct, in firefight you do receive a lot of credits for commendations and that's fine and dandy. Basically all I'm trying to say is... well I'll just give an example:

In a MM game of Reach, lets say in a 10 min game of Team Slayer where Red Team beats Blue Team 50-10:

- Red Team gets 3,000cR with an additional 500cR for winning.

- Blue Team gets 3,000cR.

Right now in Halo reach the credits you get for "game performance" is so miniscule and pointless.

What should happen:

- Red Team gets 5,000cR.

- Blue Team gets 1,000cR.

Individual players should also be rewarded more credits for their kills/commendations in each game of MM.

Yes you're correct, in firefight you do receive a lot of credits for commendations and that's fine and dandy. Basically all I'm trying to say is... well I'll just give an example:

In a MM game of Reach, lets say in a 10 min game of Team Slayer where Red Team beats Blue Team 50-10:

Right now in Halo reach the credits you get for "game performance" is so miniscule and pointless.

What should happen:

- Red Team gets 5,000cR.

Individual players should also be rewarded more credits for their kills/commendations in each game of MM.

That's a great idea, hopefully 343i could implement something like that in the TU or in halo 4 if the bring back credits

PRAISE THE THREAD!!! Good Points I feel the same. I Would like to see the credit system re-implemented. Cause the only problem (besides the payout) is the lack of use for the credits. Special items related to holidays or monthly specials/refhreshable items would be a option. So you keep the armory but add special options like permutations could be a monthly or weekly upgrade. You could create little missions based on other characters from the campaign that add a other p.o.v.. They dont have to be critical to the main story at hand but more like a terminal but more visual because its a mission/flashback whatever. Oh maybe a little forge unlockables. Not Too much, nobody likes building when they cant get their hands on some major toys.

I can rattle on for pages about this but enough for now I'm tired and it's 3:40 time to go.

What should happen:

- Red Team gets 5,000cR.

This my friend is a winning formula!

What should happen:

- Red Team gets 5,000cR.

I agree. If the credit system is kept for rank advancement, this seems to be a good idea. I quickly lost interest in rank in Reach because of what you pointed out, rank meant nothing. If a new system is not implemented for Halo 4, I hope they improve it in this manner.

Players must be able to de-rank, this sorts out the good from the bad.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I have a slightly different solution. Halo needs a 1-50 system just like the one in Halo 3 with a slight alteration. My suggestion is to lock the level once you get it. What I mean by that is say once you hit 35 or any other rank, you can't go any lower regardless of the amount of games you lose. I feel if this were the case there would be a lot less cheating for ranks. Granted you would get kids on your team that should have ranked down a long time ago, but to anyone that played a pretty good bit of Halo 3 you know you got those playlist 50s on your team that got pooped on. If this were the case I believe the games would be much fairer in terms of cheaters and equally good teammates. Because you still have to win games to get to your desired rank. lost my train of thought...

• Like 1

I see some good points in here, and thanks for not getting into the AA debate, some like it, some dont, end of story. I think the Cr system is flawed. H3 had a good ranking system IMHO. The Cr system is ok, let it be for social games, and firefight, play alot and unlock some kewl armor. Let the ranking part come down to competitive play, Arena, MLG, ect. and have it tied to EXP so you can see if you are gaining towards the next rank. That would solve the problem, look at a total Cr earned in a service record and you see this guy loves firefight or social type game play, and is good at it, if they also have a high rank, they are damn good at copetitive Halo MP. In Reach you pretty much just buy rank, its stupid. Let EXP buy you the rank because you get it for being a good competitive player.

• 3 weeks later...

What should happen:

- Red Team gets 5,000cR.

That's a good idea and I support it, but I do not think it fully addresses the issue. The "time is rank" problem still exists: everyone can get the max rank eventually, regardless of how well you play.

H2 & H3 presented a system in which you WANTED to improve your play, as you were required to have a certain level of skill in order to attain the max rank. With H3, this bar wasn't even too high, which made it "possible" for all but not without improving.

This presented an actual GOAL to work towards rather than the current system which is simply "back to the grind."

Halo Reach turns ranking into WORK for the achievement-oriented, rather than a growing/learning opportunity.

Unfortunately, any time someone uses this argument, Bungie simply stepped in and said, "rank is for finding matches, not for achievement." JUST BECAUSE IT WASN'T INTENDED DOESN'T MEAN IT SHOULD BE REMOVED!

They stepped on a GOLDMINE without even realizing it. People continued playing and loving their game YEARS later and in the end, CHOSE to ignore the reasons that got them there just because they "weren't intended." Now I'm not saying that this is the only reason people kept playing: this is just one of many things which was unexpected. Another example might be the theatre system: everyone loved being able to view videos with friends but they took it out simply because of a design issues which did not happen to arise in Halo 3.

Bungie made a lot of mistakes with Reach. Reach would've been better if there wasn't so many bugs/glitches with multiplayer. And they actually created some actual multiplayer levels instead of just using the campaign levels.

But the credit system does need fixed too, I'll agree with that.

I'll try to keep it short and I hope someone from 343 comes across this or is already aware of this problem. As I'm sure most Halo trilogy fans will agree with this, one of the major issues with Halo Reach and basically why it was such an epic fail is the "time is credits" leveling system. Players must be rewarded for how they play not how long they play. Players must be able to de-rank, this sorts out the good from the bad. Also, players who win matches or who do well in matches should be given more experience than those who lose or do poorly, this will give the game a more competitive/addictive experience. With Halo 4 it is imperative that you implement a ranking system that reflects a players skill, if not the games population will slowly wither away in time and suffer the same fate as Reach.

And just so there's no confusion I'm not saying Halo Reach is entirely ****, the visuals(modeling, effects, animation, etc...) are absolutely amazing and the story was also good. Bungie just made a lot of stupid mistakes with the main engine, the programing side of things, the leveling system, and other things like armor abilities and bloom which I don't want to get into right now cause then i'll have a bunch of bungie fan boys telling me how they love to use armor lock and spam with the AR.

With a K/D ratio like that you have good reason to feel that way. I myself have a very low K/D and do not feel that this would popularize the new Halo games. Since this is only a game and not real life all ranks should be attainable to all players. I play for one thing and one thing only: to reach Inheritor. I don't care for MM (because I suck at it) and I don't play other playlists besides FF Arcade. This is also because FF is the fastest, easiest way to rank up. So, you are correct but, in my opinion, you are also incorrect. Great stats by the way.

I agree with iCaPWN3d, dude knows what he is talking about. I too think the ranking system in Reach is a fail. I like the Armor Abilities though and the strategies/options it offers to the game. And the Armory is a great idea. It just needs a couple good multiplayer maps and a fix on the ranking system. Or for Halo 4, in that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

any new halo game should still have an armory and credits i enjoy those aspects of the game. however i think that the ranking system should not be conected with the credits. when playing the player should get exp, and credits, the exp gose towards the raking system and the credits let them get new armor, but the ranking system should be more skill based!