Sword Block: Yay or Nay?

RedStarRocket91

Sword Block: Yay or Nay?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that the ability to block an Energy Sword attack with nothing but a standard melee is fair?

• I believe that Sword Block was fair in all game types and that it should not have been removed.
    • I believe that Sword Block was unfair in all game types and that it should have been removed.
    • I believe that Sword Block is fair in some game types but unfair in others, and will provide details in a comment.

The sword isn't overpowered. It works the way it's supposed to. That's like saying that the Rocket Launcher is over powered because it's not as easy to dodge it anymore. Or like saying the plasma grenade is overpowered because it sticks to you instead of bouncing off like a frag. Or like saying the grav hammer is over powered because it has an area of effect. The sword is a power weapon, and there is only one on most maps. And where there is a sword, there is a shotgun, so it's not like the sword is unstoppable. You can five shot a swordsprinter with a DMR pretty easily if you are any good. The sword is supposed to be a weapon that kills it's target. It's been like that in every other halo game it's been in, and it hasn't changed that much. The only addition that might be problematic is evade and sprint, but guess what? People can only evade twice, and sprint only lasts ten seconds. It's not hard to run away from the guy with the sword. Especially since most people use Jet-pack these days.

When I grab a sword, I want to be able to kill people with it. It's like with Halo 3, when everyone had a sword at the same time, except you don't need to have one to block it. It's annoying and makes the sword almost useless, making the shotgun a whole lot more powerful than the sword instead of maintaining a balance between the two CQC weapons.

the only reason sword is overpowered in my opinion is because to me anyway, there is a huge lunge, and if you don't see them quick enough, they can just lunge at you, instead of shotgun where if you see him fast enough he can sprint away or evade away regardless, however, with sword, if they have sprint or evade, they can catch up easily.

But again, that was all my opinion, i guess we both have different opinions ;)

Not trying to bring this up again but it's in the second cinematic in the game and I think it's just supposed to represent knocking your attacker off of you like in the campaign when he grabs the elites hand, or maybe you're whacking them in the face? It's true there's nothing to block a brute hammer but defending against a weapon like that seems unlikely, it's not on a lot of maps (or any to my knowledge, except for Think Twice). In halo wars the spartans are pretty good at close quarters fighting, especially against melee weapons.

Wish I wasn't totally wrong but that's cool I didn't know that, and now I throw an argument at you that is as newly formulated as it is likely flawed. So in multiplayer you block it but take damage unlike campaign because it's shorter. I thought that was only in powerhouse on some gametype I'm now remembering, when I should take as a hint that you're probably right.

Should there be a gravity hammer block then, can keeping one blockable and one not balance maps?

...this has so many errors in it.

-I thought that was only in powerhouse on some gametype I feel like i can remember (but can't place) which I should take as a hint that you're probably right.

Wish I wasn't totally wrong but that's cool I didn't know that And now I throw an argument at you that is as newly formulated as it is likely flawed. So in multiplayer you block it (regular sword) but take damage unlike how 6 takes no damage in the campaign because that was the assassination version.

Should there be a gravity hammer block then, can keeping one blockable and one not balance maps?

Edited by highplainsdrifter

• 2 weeks later...

The statement "timing your melee to block the sword takes skill" is complete garbage. All you have to do is melee at any point during the sword lunge and it will block it every time. I've seen kids with -10k KDs block my sword lunges every time. It doesn't take skill whatsoever. It also puts the person with the sword at a disadvantage because they then become one shot so all the person has to do is headshot them and that's it. Also if there is anyone else around they can just melee the sword person after their teammate blocks it and the sword person is dead instantly. It was totally the best decision to take out sword block, it was the most annoying thing on the planet. There are far more skillful ways to avoid getting killed with the sword than by "timing" *sarcastic* your melee. Be smart with your radar, well placed grenades, accurate DMR, and just plain controlling it by yourself or with your team. All these take far more skill and strategy than sword blocking, any scrub with a negative 4 digit KD can melee block the sword.

I rather liked the sword block, I thought i was a great addition to halo and balanced out the sprint/sword combination. Plus it not only takes skill or a crazy amount of luck, you also have to finish that person off to avoid the death. Maybe if there were no AAs I would agree with its removal, but right now i would like it back.

Think of it this way. How could you block a blade of plasma? It would slice clean through your arm and still kill you. The only way i see for a sword block to be fair is if you are holding a large weapon, such as a sniper rifle, spartan laser, rocket, plasma launcher, etc. Logically, you could use something like this to soften a sword blow, whereas small arms like a assault rife or DMR would likewise be "sliced up".

Think about it. It's in the future. AND IT'S A GAME. It's not meant to be realistic. Shouldn't every weapon be able to head shot? Shouldn't you be able to kill a marine with one bullet? Shouldn't you not be able to respawn? Shouldn't you have to wait a few months for your injuries to heal ever time you get shot?

Sword block doesn't require skill and is entirely random. There is no specific timing for the melee, nor is there any proper way to do it. It's a random event that punishes the sword-wielder for being smart enough to use the sword in its niche, a close quarter situation. You cannot block the shotgun, so why can you block the sword?

Sword block makes no sense and adds randomness to the game, which lessens the skil gap.

• Like 2

You'r all forgetting the real reason it was implimented in both Halo 3 and Reach and it has been stated already in here. Multiplayer connection/Lag. The biggest game changer or destroyer is lag during a battle. because of the energy swords lunge and the lag that can occur in the game, it was a given, that some sort of balance had to be added. How fair is it, to have a general medium connection thru a server or host, and have one player with like a 32 ping, using a sword during the whole battle. Chances are even before you spot him on radar, your seeing his backside as he runs past your dead body.

Some of the balances or dissadvantages to a weapon are given out to compensate for things like lag or connection issues. Not everyone can afford or get a good solid connection no matter what they pay. All addig these thinigs in did was try to gve the mass population a good level fround to play on. I agree at times when matches seem pretty fluid without connection issues, that sword block can be annoying and unfair, but most matches I have experienced in the past year and from the start, have come down to final kills or shots not even registering because of connection issues.

These kinds of issues can best be viewed when playing a game like Halo 2 Vista. Just about a half hour ago I was in a SMG server and sword lunged a guy from his side while he was running. The melee registered on my screen and showed a shield pop,, and all the sudden I was dad and he got an assassination on me. He didnt even notice I was there and he killed me cause of some server lag. Now how was that fair? I had him dead to rights and because of a few data packet drops, he was able to assassin me. had sword block been in that match...I would have had a chance to get him to compensate for the lag.

Interestingly enough, there is actually a "lead" tag value in most weapons. This is specifically given to force a player to have to slightly lead shots..just another hidden gem that helps balance connection issues.

• Like 1

You'r all forgetting the real reason it was implimented in both Halo 3 and Reach and it has been stated already in here. Multiplayer connection/Lag. The biggest game changer or destroyer is lag during a battle. because of the energy swords lunge and the lag that can occur in the game, it was a given, that some sort of balance had to be added. How fair is it, to have a general medium connection thru a server or host, and have one player with like a 32 ping, using a sword during the whole battle. Chances are even before you spot him on radar, your seeing his backside as he runs past your dead body.

Some of the balances or dissadvantages to a weapon are given out to compensate for things like lag or connection issues. Not everyone can afford or get a good solid connection no matter what they pay. All addig these thinigs in did was try to gve the mass population a good level fround to play on. I agree at times when matches seem pretty fluid without connection issues, that sword block can be annoying and unfair, but most matches I have experienced in the past year and from the start, have come down to final kills or shots not even registering because of connection issues.

These kinds of issues can best be viewed when playing a game like Halo 2 Vista. Just about a half hour ago I was in a SMG server and sword lunged a guy from his side while he was running. The melee registered on my screen and showed a shield pop,, and all the sudden I was dad and he got an assassination on me. He didnt even notice I was there and he killed me cause of some server lag. Now how was that fair? I had him dead to rights and because of a few data packet drops, he was able to assassin me. had sword block been in that match...I would have had a chance to get him to compensate for the lag.

Interestingly enough, there is actually a "lead" tag value in most weapons. This is specifically given to force a player to have to slightly lead shots..just another hidden gem that helps balance connection issues.

Sword Block has to be well timed. Well timed has no meaning when lag is involved. If you were lagging, and saw a guy lunging at you with the sword, then you are probably already dead and your X-Box just doesn't know it yet. If anything, it screws players who are lagging over even more when they get the sword.

If you try to sword block when you are lagging, then you will fail unless you are lucky, however if you are sword lunging at a player who ISN'T lagging, then his sword blocks will be effective. This puts the lagging player at an even greater disadvantage when both wielding and defending against a sword. Also, even though a sword lunge in Reach is faster, it has a shorter range than previous Halo titles.

Also I'd like to point out that sword block in halo 3 was only if both players were wielding a sword, which actually made sense. Blocking an energy sword with your elbow or weapon (things that this particular weapon was designed to cleanly slice through) doesn't. Even with shields. If it is a one hit kill when it connects, then why wouldn't it lob your arm off if you blocked it with your elbow? This is one of the things that bothers me about Reach. It's supposed to be a sci-fi game that is heavy on the sci, but Reach is more heavy on the fi.

The fact remains that the sword is a power weapon. It's not a needler, a DMR, a plasma pistol, or any of the weapons that are common amongst enemies. It is a power weapon. Like the shotgun, the sniper rifle, and the rocket launcher. Can you block a rocket with your elbow and only lose shields? Can you deflect a sniper round with your weapon? Can you melee a shotgun blast into non-existence? No, you cannot. The only thing that can save you from those is if they miss or if you use armor lock. Which also works in blocking and countering a sword, I might add.

• Like 3

we all know that sprint + sword is a bit overpowered and thats why they implented the sword block

sword block is not the solution, it should be like halo 2 and halo 3, no sword block but your melee attack against him should do damage no matter what and not just remove the guy shield

when you melee a charging no shield sword guy, both players should die. Right now a melee attack against a a sword damage the shield but never damage his life

especially with the bleed through, it would be perfect

I think the sword block should of stayed.

It was an advantage to people with good connection and is a 50/50 chance you will survive or not.

Even if you sword block, it takes away all your health and you can not sword block again.

If you are lucky enough, you would sword block and immediately kill your opponent right after.

Like say you have a power weapon of some sort; Sniper Rifle, you sword block your enemy then quickly snipe him after.

It's quite an advantage and I think it should of stayed. 343i could of at least give the players the right to vote, because it's some what unfair to others.

This is all my opinion, just saying that 343i had no right to do this, it is unfair now that the players with the sword have a easy kill on the the people with regular load-out weapons. Sure, there's the shotgun, but 343i should of let the players vote on this one change.

I think the sword block should of stayed.

It was an advantage to people with good connection and is a 50/50 chance you will survive or not.

Even if you sword block, it takes away all your health and you can not sword block again.

If you are lucky enough, you would sword block and immediately kill your opponent right after.

Like say you have a power weapon of some sort; Sniper Rifle, you sword block your enemy then quickly snipe him after.

It's quite an advantage and I think it should of stayed. 343i could of at least give the players the right to vote, because it's some what unfair to others.

This is all my opinion, just saying that 343i had no right to do this, it is unfair now that the players with the sword have a easy kill on the the people with regular load-out weapons. Sure, there's the shotgun, but 343i should of let the players vote on this one change.

There's some instances where sword block can be useful, but in games like Infection, it had to be removed. This might be the only time I agree with something "McChicken" says, but there are times where you sword someone and nothing happens and you end up dying. It's already hard enough to kill people in that gametype, especally if you have a coordinated group of people who don't screw around like most randoms.

The fact remains that the sword is a power weapon. It's not a needler, a DMR, a plasma pistol, or any of the weapons that are common amongst enemies. It is a power weapon. Like the shotgun, the sniper rifle, and the rocket launcher. Can you block a rocket with your elbow and only lose shields? Can you deflect a sniper round with your weapon? Can you melee a shotgun blast into non-existence? No, you cannot. The only thing that can save you from those is if they miss or if you use armor lock. Which also works in blocking and countering a sword, I might add.

I have to say this lol Master Chief deflects a rocket fired from a Pelican (larger than spnkr ordinance) in a book when they're testing his compatibility with Cortana in combat.

I don't know the intricacies of the lag factor and how it can precisely affect gameplay but you can't block a DMR barrage or a sniper round without an AA which is something i find a little one sided. We should only have protection from power weapons if we choose armor lock on top of which armor lock's greattttt combo with meleeing? The argument for power weapons not losing their power hits a wall for me right there.

I think we can all agree that picking up an energy weapon guarantees at least one or two kills with that weapon. An energy weapon to me is strictly a melee weapon, kind of like how if you didn't have any ammo you wouldn't run headlong into people expecting a melee kill. There are certain properties of the weapon that make it easier to Rambo someone but it's not a SPNKR or a sniper it's a CQB weapon that can get you a running riot or more if you exploit it just right. How many people can do that with a stock sniper rifle? I never have understood why people don't count their blessings there is such an easy opportunity for kills.

Taking out sword block basically makes the Gravity Hammer and the Energy Sword comparable in strength. Shouldn't one energy weapon be harder to kill with than the other? I like that the GH is so big you can see it over a roof, does area damage, and has no lunge or block. I like that the ES glows, (could be blocked), and most often requires a lunge to kill. Getting a kill/spree has never been easier than the energy weapons make it and to me they seemed a good pair.

Really, it more realistic to block a plasma blade with your elbow and have it unscathed. Like blocking a lightsaber with your arm

i like to think that the gravity hammer is unblockable because that would be impossible to accomplish quickly without premeditation (it has an area of effect, imagine that thing swinging by your head: more than a slight breeze). I also like to think that a Spartan should be fast enough to at least knock away an enemy carrying an oversized blade (face it that's what it is) without dying. Remember there are multiple animations for every weapon and to me the game is a translation of the lore.

Also i need to bump this; if the sword can't be blocked should the hammer be unblockable, further more should there be yet another energy weapon that is slightly-different/can-be-blocked?

I was so confused as to why I could never block the sword anymore! D:

I always liked it, it was basically the only defense against it, but at the same time it was super easy to pull off.

I miss it dearly. ):

But it wasn't and isn't the only defense against it. There are plenty of weapons and other tactics to use to counter the sword. Including something like sword block pretty much makes the sword almost useless in my eyes as anyone with any decent reflexes can block it and get in a few shots, which might spell disaster for the sword wielder seeing as how they had to get in close to begin with. I think that if you're able to get in close enough to use it, you deserve the kill. I am pretty sure I named quite a few ways to counter the sword earlier in the thread, so feel free to look back and check those.