Sword Block: Yay or Nay?

RedStarRocket91

Sword Block: Yay or Nay?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that the ability to block an Energy Sword attack with nothing but a standard melee is fair?

• I believe that Sword Block was fair in all game types and that it should not have been removed.
    • I believe that Sword Block was unfair in all game types and that it should have been removed.
    • I believe that Sword Block is fair in some game types but unfair in others, and will provide details in a comment.

One of the big changes the Title Update made was removing the power to 'Sword Block', i.e. the ability to survive being hit with the Energy Sword by timing a standard melee to strike the Energy Sword user at the same moment the sword attack strikes them, although still taking heavy damage.

Those who liked it often suggested that having no chance to survive an attack was unfair, and that since timing a melee correctly required skill it was a fair addition to a player's starting abilities.

Those who disliked it complained that since an Energy Sword can only be used at point-blank range, leaving a player completely vulnerable while they got into attack distance, it is unfair that they then have to worry that their attack might not even kill their opponent, even though they had worked hard to get the weapon and then risked a close-up attack.

So, in a nutshell, do you believe that the ability to block an Energy Sword's attack with nothing but a standard melee is fair?

Please give valid reasons for your opinion: 'because it sucks' or 'because it's great' are themselves opinions, not reasons.

A very good question RedStarRocket91!

I personally believe the sword block was a great defense against the energy sword. It gave you a "fighting chance" against the sword's high-powered lunge attack. If timed correctly, then you could easily headshot/melee and end up with the kill and the weapon. Every power weapon with a one-shot capability should have at least one disadvantage. Now many could argue "it already does have a disadvantage! It's a close quarter's combat weapon." But I still believe there should be some sort of defense against it, whether it is me using the weapon or not.

Thanks for the OP RedStarRocket91!!

Oh, and just for informative purposes, here are my stats with the sword to prove I'm not being biased with my opinion.

Kills - 483 (4%)

Deaths - 644 (6%)

K/D - 0.75

spacer.gif

• Like 1

I personally like having sword block removed, it was a power weapon that in some situations didn't feel like it, especially when you go for the double kill and somehow they both sword block. I feel that if you get that close to the sword, you should pay!

• Like 1

My opinion is that it's a one hit kill if landed so you should be able to block it (and taking damage in doing so seems fair). I like to steal the sword so it doesn't get used, unless I've been getting destroyed by it all game in which case I will go crazy with it if I can get it. Not totally unbiased but that's how I feel

They should of left it in, it was your last line of defence, and to be quite honest it also depended on your connection to register properly

I used to play lot of living dead and sword block was incredibly useful granted 75% of the time it didn't work, even if you did pull it off correctly it took most of your energy anyway.

I just can't see why they would take it out.

• Like 1

For me, I think that sword-block is unfair in Team Slayer, because if you can take someone with a sword down pretty quick with a bit of combined fire. Also, there is no block for the gravhammer, which is the swords cousin. Not to mention that it doesn't really make sense. Granted, this IS a sci-fi game, but the Plasma Sword cuts through almost anything. It's not likely that someone's elbow or weapon can block it. I think it should stay in living dead though, because that is the only playlist where a sword is a primary weapon.

• Like 1

I have to agree about the brute hammer, even though it's a much less common weapon. Someone with a sword can be taken down with concentrated fire and that is why I think it was a way trying to keep people from rampaging with the sword, I don't think anyone likes playing rumble pit when there's that one guy who has 20 more points than everyone because he got to the sword first.

• Like 1

I always support ways players can show true skill, and to me the sword block seems like an excellent way to prove how much skill a singular player has. I often grow weary of other players hoarding the power weapons, and am glad that this one in particular has a strategic weakness that can be exploited, making the whole situation a lot more tactical. The sword is used as an ambush, or bull rushing weapon, a player who isn't catching his enemies off guard with it is not using it to it's full potential. I am not promoting camping, I am simply stating that any player that has the reflex required to block a lunge, in an ambush situation should get to keep that advantage. To all who fail to see the facts of my argument I suggest you count among your blessings that the "sword block" is not a "perk" that can be attained through the armory, Imagine your increase of frustration if not only the skilled, but any rookie could block a lunge......I shudder at the notion.

• Like 1

I always support ways players can show true skill, and to me the sword block seems like an excellent way to prove how much skill a singular player has. I often grow weary of other players hoarding the power weapons, and am glad that this one in particular has a strategic weakness that can be exploited, making the whole situation a lot more tactical. The sword is used as an ambush, or bull rushing weapon, a player who isn't catching his enemies off guard with it is not using it to it's full potential. I am not promoting camping, I am simply stating that any player that has the reflex required to block a lunge, in an ambush situation should get to keep that advantage. To all who fail to see the facts of my argument I suggest you count among your blessings that the "sword block" is not a "perk" that can be attained through the armory, Imagine your increase of frustration if not only the skilled, but any rookie could block a lunge......I shudder at the notion.

Thing is though, a sword block is mostly random. No one has gotten the exact timing on when you have to melee down, and that's because it varies by a decent margin. And to be fair, I've been sword blocked by people who had absolutely no idea what they were doing (the -15 sorta gives it away) and were just trying to melee me more times than I have been sword blocked by someone who is actually good. I know it isn't like that for everyone, but the sword is supposed to be a power weapon. There have been some games where I had the sword and a needler the entire game and actually got more kills with the needler because everyone was sword blocking. Also, every map that has a sword also has a shotgun, which creates a balance. The shotgun is a power weapon as well, and has the advantage over the sword. Why would you add another weight on the scales against the sword when there is already a balance? I think that the only way to block a sword should be with another sword, just like in Halo 3.
  • Like 1

Hate to say it put it's in a cinematic, possible that pushing the attacker off you after you've "melee'd" to block allows them to inflict some damage. Also the effective range of a sword lunge is not lethal range for a shotgun... as far as I know

No it isn't, but the sword lunge doesn't move that fast. It only moves about a 1/10th faster than sprint does, so it gives you plenty of time to pull the trigger. And shooting someone with a shotgun while they are lunging is an almost guaranteed kill.

No it isn't, but the sword lunge doesn't move that fast. It only moves about a 1/10th faster than sprint does, so it gives you plenty of time to pull the trigger. And shooting someone with a shotgun while they are lunging is an almost guaranteed kill.

Interesting. Is my connection slow if I shoot and we both die? Or is that ambiguous? (honest question)

Interesting. Is my connection slow if I shoot and we both die? Or is that ambiguous? (honest question)

Depends on the playlist. If you are talking about Infection, then no, that's common. Most people playing infection get bulltrues and die at the same time. However, if it's Team Slayer, then yes, lag is to blame.

Think of it this way. How could you block a blade of plasma? It would slice clean through your arm and still kill you. The only way i see for a sword block to be fair is if you are holding a large weapon, such as a sniper rifle, spartan laser, rocket, plasma launcher, etc. Logically, you could use something like this to soften a sword blow, whereas small arms like a assault rife or DMR would likewise be "sliced up".

I have never been too fond of the sword in Reach. I was primarily a Arena Doubles player until it was removed. The sword was not available in doubles, along with other weapons, and it gave me a chance to play the game without it. It literally changed the play of the game in that you no longer had to deal with a sprint/sword lunge. With that said, with the AA's implementation in Reach combined with the sword, along with some other weapons, it became much more overpowering and the sword block seemed a worthy defense against the combination. You still had to properly time the block which meant you had to stop firing or decide on a sticky throw. I honestly think it has to be in the game. The sword with certain AA's is just too much.

• Like 2

The sword is so overpowered.

I wish they still had sword block. :D

The sword isn't overpowered. It works the way it's supposed to. That's like saying that the Rocket Launcher is over powered because it's not as easy to dodge it anymore. Or like saying the plasma grenade is overpowered because it sticks to you instead of bouncing off like a frag. Or like saying the grav hammer is over powered because it has an area of effect. The sword is a power weapon, and there is only one on most maps. And where there is a sword, there is a shotgun, so it's not like the sword is unstoppable. You can five shot a swordsprinter with a DMR pretty easily if you are any good. The sword is supposed to be a weapon that kills it's target. It's been like that in every other halo game it's been in, and it hasn't changed that much. The only addition that might be problematic is evade and sprint, but guess what? People can only evade twice, and sprint only lasts ten seconds. It's not hard to run away from the guy with the sword. Especially since most people use Jet-pack these days.

When I grab a sword, I want to be able to kill people with it. It's like with Halo 3, when everyone had a sword at the same time, except you don't need to have one to block it. It's annoying and makes the sword almost useless, making the shotgun a whole lot more powerful than the sword instead of maintaining a balance between the two CQC weapons.

• Like 1

The sword isn't overpowered. It works the way it's supposed to. That's like saying that the Rocket Launcher is over powered because it's not as easy to dodge it anymore. Or like saying the plasma grenade is overpowered because it sticks to you instead of bouncing off like a frag. Or like saying the grav hammer is over powered because it has an area of effect. The sword is a power weapon, and there is only one on most maps. And where there is a sword, there is a shotgun, so it's not like the sword is unstoppable. You can five shot a swordsprinter with a DMR pretty easily if you are any good. The sword is supposed to be a weapon that kills it's target. It's been like that in every other halo game it's been in, and it hasn't changed that much. The only addition that might be problematic is evade and sprint, but guess what? People can only evade twice, and sprint only lasts ten seconds. It's not hard to run away from the guy with the sword. Especially since most people use Jet-pack these days.

When I grab a sword, I want to be able to kill people with it. It's like with Halo 3, when everyone had a sword at the same time, except you don't need to have one to block it. It's annoying and makes the sword almost useless, making the shotgun a whole lot more powerful than the sword instead of maintaining a balance between the two CQC weapons.

True, but personally I don't care that much about it. I will get the kills I need either way, and well if the other person is good enough to block my lance, then he deserves that second chance he gets.

It makes the shotgun a whole lot more powerful than the sword instead of maintaining a balance between the two CQC weapons.

That's a very good point, actually - I hadn't thought about that before, although it does tie in with the apparent generalised nerfing of Covenant weaponry.