A Call to Arms

Absolute Dog

When first reading some of the OP's in this forum about XBOX Live being unavailable to some people on occasion or for a period of time, I figured like many it was a connection issue related to signal strength, router set up or too many systems in a household online at one time. I recently was made aware that there appears to be a systemic issue for those players who have an IP address that begins with the prefix 101. This is a post in Twinreaper's Technology thread in the Reach forum posted by DBUK:

Hi there everyone, but mainly, my friendly 343 representatives.

Myself, and countless other people, as I am sure you are aware, are having problems connection to halo reach and halo 3 matchmaking games. For me, I havne't been able to connect since early November.

Now, I have done some research and testing etc, and it turns out that the issue is with IP addresses starting with 101.

(Australia and NZ)

All we get when we go to play is: 'the halo reach server is unavailable at this time, please try again later.'

I would like to know if/.when we can expect an update, or fix to this problem, as there are 1000's of people, like me, unable to play!

This, stated DBUK, is only happening on the Reach and Halo 3 servers and on no other game platform on XBL. I have heard of this before second hand, but after chatting with him in our chat box and noting his positive demeanor, I think that we as a forum should rally behind our fellow players that have been left out of MM due to some "value in the IP range" as Twin suggested it might possibly be.

What if it was you who could not play......wouldn't you want our support? I am asking all members to post here and show support, to contact XBOX Live and give them some "junk" on this matter. I will be PMing our senior staff for them to attempt any effort they can with their contacts.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 3

Hi everyone, thanks for your support!

Open a twitter account and follow xbox support they answer 99.9% of tweets. Its the most active twitter account in existence.

I have spoken with Xbox support, who eventually offered me free GOLD membership, which I refused.

They also said, that the problem does not lie with them, and their resolution was to post my issue on this forum.

So, hopefully, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I await a responce from someone at 343 who might be able to shed some light on this rather frustraiting issue...

Hi everyone, thanks for your support!

I have spoken with Xbox support.

They also said, that the problem does not lie with them, and their resolution was to post my issue on this forum.

So, hopefully, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I await a responce from someone at 343 who might be able to shed some light on this rather frustraiting issue...

You have my support DBUK!! :thumbsup: and all others suffering from the same issue.

Although a frustrating issue, you have shown great patience my friend! Hopefully it will be resolved soon!!

The issue is not on their end.... :thumbdown: :popo: Maybe I should also forward Microsoft game Studios some interesting network data I recorded when pinging their server address via masking my IP to ressemble a 101 one. I bet that would get their attention. But yeah you got my support. I will continue to push the people I know there to get this resolved if I can.

Here are some links to some other people that have the same issue on various forums, just so you can see how widespread this problem is, it would appear that the issue is directly related to certain ISP's, including Slingshot, Vodafone, Crazy John's and therefore not related to where in the world a person is?

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst46005_Technical-Difficulties.aspx

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst51483_OPEN-UP-101-IP-s-TO-THE-SERVERS.aspx

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst48129_Admin-s---I-can-t-play-any-halo-game-online.aspx

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst47929_Servers-unavailable--ALL-OF-THEM.aspx

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst48431_WHY-IS-MATCHMAKING-NOT-WORKING-AGAIN.aspx

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst48235_Halo-Reach-Server-unavailable.aspx

And I could continue...

343i, the time has come for an explination or even better, a resolution...

Same problem here - Recently upgraded to new high speed cable service (Telstra Bigpond Australia) using DOCSIS3.0 Gateway Modem (Netgear CG3100) and now I cannot use Matchmaking in Halo Reach or Halo 3 ODST. The new high speed 3.0 cable service from Telstra uses 101.x.x.x IP addresses so looks like we are all in the same boat!! WTF!! Surely this cannot be that complicated to rectify - Something must be going on with 343i for them not to fix this, are they too busy developing Halo 4, have they blocked these IP addresses for development reasons or are they simply incapable of employing technicians to do their F*&^ing job correctly????

How can a simple user be expected to navigate their way around the mess of ISPs that don't know their pings from their packets, Microsoft who seem to not give a **** once they have sold you the product, XBOX Live who pass the buck all the time & 343i who seem like a ghost company that nobody works for????

Thanks to everyone that has posted here and on other forums - lets keep pushing these people and challenge their integrity.

So, here we are, day 4, and still nothing from 343i. Not even an acknowledgment! So, If by Friday, we have still heard nothing, I found a website that seems pretty helpful for explaining the best plan of action to take this matter further.

Microsoft told me to post here, which I have done, and 343i are saying nothing! (As yet...)

Have a read if you're in the same situation as me, and maybe, after Friday, if we have still heard nothing, we can follow these steps together?

https://www.cccssf.org/education/publications/getwhatpaidfor.html

My patience is wearing thin, I've tried to play nice...

Here is a QUOTE from Bonnie Ross:

“‘Halo’ has made an indelible impact on gaming and pop culture over the past ten years,” said Bonnie Ross, general manager of 343 Industries. “Whether you’ve followed the story from the beginning or want to experience it for the first time, ‘Halo: Anniversary’ offers everyone a chance to relive the iconic classic before they embark on a brand new adventure with Master Chief next year in ‘Halo 4.’”

Halo: CE anniversary has been labelled as the definitive edition of the most influential shooter of the past two generations, mostly noted for its remarkable visuals as well as a slew of other brand new features.

“As a studio, we’re incredibly thankful for the enthusiasm and support our fans have shown for this project,” said Dan Ayoub, executive producer of publishing for 343 Industries. “We know many of them have been waiting years for a remake of the original ‘Halo,’ so we’re elated to deliver a faithful re-mastering of the original classic that breathes new life into the legendary adventure.”

Halo: CE Anniversary is an excellent re-mastered edition of the original Halo campaign as well as some of the most memorable multiplayer maps in the Halo franchise available for those hectic Halo multiplayer sessions. With such features as co-operative play via Xbox Live, six remade multiplayer, a new firework mission, a classic graphics mode if you’re feeling nostalgic, achievements, and kinect and 3D, Halo anniversary gives something new for all gamers whether they are professionals or new comers.

ALL GAMERS: Mr/Ms Ross, Really? I disagree! Stand up to your statement, and fix this issue!

The problem is Ashlynn that they are actually saying something, just the wrong things.

I recieved a email from BS Angel today and all she had to say was that they were working with slingshot and xbl to resolve the issue.

This concerns me for a number of reasons and leads me to believe that there won't be a resolution anytime soon since they are completely looking in the wrong direction.

How is talking to slingshot and xbl going to fix the issue when I am not even on slingshot ISP and slingshot isin't even active here in Australia?

343i is basically saying the fault does not lie with them or their servers so they are not investigation where they should be....their servers.

Until 343i pull their heads from their asses and look into their own end of things this won't EVER get fixed

I wish 343i had a contact phone number so we could all call and complain to them and actually direct them in the right area since they seem to refuse to acknowledge the forums

Yes, 343, if you bothered to investigate, the problem is with many ISP's, mostly in Australia and New Zealand.

Telstra Australia, Vodafone Australia, Crazy Johns Australia to name but a few!

And you may have had a PM 'mOnster,' but nothing has been posted here, so most of us are still being ignored!

Just to keep everyone up to date, I have sent BS ANGEL a PM, here it is... I hope we get a responce soon...?

--------------------------------------------------

Hello BS Angel,

I hope you are well.

I also hope you don't mind me contacting you out of the blue, but I am in a situation, like many, where I am unable to play matchmaking due to having an IP address starting with the prefix 101.

I understand that you and 343i are aware of the issue, but I wanted to bring to your attention that the issue is widespread and causing us Halo fans enormous grief.

The issue lies with many ISP's and not just Slingshot.

I am with Vodafone Australia, and I know of users using Crazy Johns Australia, Telstra Australia and New Zealand, Telus Canada to name a few.

There are also several forums where literally 100's of people have posted the same issue, all with the same IP address. (Links I can supply if you wish)

Please can you try to explain to me where you think the problem lies, if not, please post here: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/5168-a-call-to-arms/page__p__45689#entry45689

...and just let people know that you are working on a fix to this issue, as keeping us all in the dark is driving us bonkers!

Thanks for your time, and have a great day!

--------------------------------------------------------

I finally received replies from a number of my sources. As much as I would like to post up the official response mail I got, I cannot do so legally. I will try my best to explain the situation...

Now granted the nature of which I went about getting responses, I cannot use names either. As it was first thought, through my own testing, it is not a "ping" or overall communication issue, nor is a specific IP Address related issue. the issue actually resides in the way that specific ISP's in the effected regions, handle and pass-through internet data and internet information requests. Basically the issue does not lie with 343i or Microsoft's settings or API's on the servers. Certain unnamed ISP's like Telstra, have compatibility issues with all aspects of Live's communication protocols. Now I do not know if it is port blocking or bandwidth issues, or anything else, as the people I have talked to are not 100%. the ISP's are responding slowly to help on Microsoft's end despite what they might tell their individual customers.

As for now, there is no date set to say whether or not the issues can be cleared up in a day, or weeks. The best bet right now is to either wait it out, or contact your ISP provider, about the issue, that your are not happy, and you expect some compensation. I realize compensation is not really gonna happen for obvious reasons, but right now this is all I know, and as far as I can tell from my sources, all they know. Again, if I hear anything further I will update you all immediately.

• Like 3