Return to the roots of Halo MM in Halo 4

Choot 'em

Back in 2001, Microsoft released a console gaming system. It was a bulky piece of work with controllers made for players with huge hands (lol). Released with it was this amazingly addictive game that took of like a rocket in the gaming world. That game was HALO!! The story of a lone hero that was called into service to save humanity from total annihilation from an alien threat known as the Covenent. The story in itself was AMAZING!! It brroke new ground and left you begging for more!!

With that release, there was an option called "multiplayer". "Link up with friends and test you skill against living opponents", they said. Little did they know how addicting that one little option could be :).

For the past ten years, we've seen the addition of more Halo titles and the addition of XBOX Live which made the MM aspect of Halo easier to play against other players from around the world. The ability to add friends, form teams, and even form "clans" added to the addiction of playing countless hours of Halo MM.

Reach added elements such as "bloom" and "armor abilities" and added fan-made maps that just didn't fit well in the old Halo that we knew.

So what would make Halo 4 MM the addicting online play most of us remember?? Simplicity!!! Go back to the roots of Halo and what MM is for Halo. Stay true to the elements that defined Halo's MM!!

Here are a few things I think could help Halo 4 MM achieve this addiction once again:

1. Remove MM elements that were in Reach. Reach in itself is, in my opinion, a great standalone game. Intriguing story and descent multiplayer. But it is not Halo MM we all knew. In Halo 4, 343i is continuing the story of Spartan 117, John, the Master Chief!! In Halo 4 MM, elements that were in Reach MM should not be brought over to Halo 4 MM. I had NO problem with "bloom" or "armor abilities" in Reach. They were different and interesting and made nice additions to Reach's MM. I am in no way saying that Reach has horrible MM. I just think those elements should stay in Reach.
  2. Assassination animation. Let the assassinations be what they were in previous Halo titles. A beat-down from behind with a different awarded medal that did not disrupt or slow down the flow of an online match. I really enjoyed the animations of the assassinations. I did not like the fact that it gave the opposing team a slight opportunity to fire at will on you because you were "locked in" an animation. Leave those in campaign and return to the simple assassinations that add continuity to a match.
  3. Make maps challenging again. This is a quote that I agree with 100%. "Why was Chillout so good???? What about Damnation???? And Hang 'em???? These maps required map control and rotation to gain power weapons and power-ups. THAT IS HALO!!! If this does not exist, there is no reason for you to move around to prevent the other team from gaining control." Using teamwork to gain control of a map.
  4. Use the Cr system for purchaces only!! I expect to see a huge armory in Halo 4. The Cr system is a great idea if implemented for the correct purpose. You should not be able to "buy" your way up the ranks. That's not Halo!! Use the Cr system for what it is designed for. To purchase, purchase, and purchase!! Gain Cr by completing certain tasks within a match and/or by earning certain medals. Have unique armors cost more and basic armors cost less. Buy items such as firefight voices and armor effects. Make the "Rare" armors obtainable through skill and experience and reserve those armors for players that achieve the required skill and exp.
  5. Have dedicated Forge playlists. Alot of fan-made maps are really good. I've never been good at Forging a map but I do respect the attempts of fans that make good maps. Just don't add them in the same list of maps that 343i will be designing!! I want to see what 343i can come up with and play their maps without having fan-made maps mixed in with theirs.
  6. Return to the "Ranked" and "Social" playlists. What I enjoyed so much about the seperated lists was that if you just wanted to have fun without having to worry about "Rank", you could choose "Social" playlist. Those with a more "competitve" spirit could choose "Ranked" playlist. You were not confined to a group of playlists that do not seperate the competitive players from recreational players. Yes there is Arena in Reach, but all you have in Arena is mismatched teams all fighting for one selfish purpose. To gain Cr.
  7. Bring back the skill and rank matchmaking system. Previous Halo titles did an excellent job of matching skill and rank with other players of the same skill and rank. I really liked the EXP system in Halo 2/3. I'm not saying it was perfect and it could use tweaking, but it worked well and gave you determination to achieve higher skill. As a recruit you didn't have to worry about being matched against a General. This matching system also made you play more as a team and gave the entire team the challenge of working together for the win.

I expect to get alot of bashing for this. Many will not agree, some will partially agree. That is the beauty of this site. Community variation of opinions. I want 343i to leave me in "awe" with Halo 4's multiplayer. I want 343i to remind me of what Halo was and show me what Halo should be. I want 343i to return to the roots of MM that made Halo such an addicting game.

Just my thoughts.......

• Like 3

I actually quite enjoyed that read. Very well structured and you provided quite a bit of thought into it. For that you get a cookie......and an actual basic nice reply from me instead of the huge novel involving you being an idiot...enjoy!

1. Those certain features like "bloom" and "AA's" have always been around. Reach is just the first game outside of Halo 3, to give the player a HUD based visualization of the firing radius of a weapon. AA's are similar to equipment. In time you learn to love both. They are neither good or bad, it's all preference.

2. I kinda agree and disagree. I only disagree when it's me getting killed, instead of me taking advantage of said anim lock. lmao

3. I could not agree more. In fact, since Halo 2, there have been no original brand new map layouts at all. Almost every single map ever made for Halo 3 and Reach, are all borrowed from H1 and H2. We need something new and different, not re-imagined stuff. Don't get me wrong, bringing classic maps like that are awesome, but should not be something released and labeled as "New DLC" content we have to pay for. Ship those puppy's with the game!

4. YES YES YES!!!! Credits should never be linked to the rank system.. bad Bungie.......(slaps faces with genitals)

5. Kudos on that. I hate playing the myriad of playlists for team stuff, only to get a forge map. I absolutely hate playing on forge maps.

6. Absolutely! I hate being in a match and seeing someone with a guest. I loved how you couldn't go into certain playlists when you had a guest in Halo 3.

7. Unfortunatly, I don't play enough multiplayer to put in a thought on this one. So I will just pretend it doesn't exist and say YES!!! BRING BACK CLAN MANAGEMENT FEATURES!!!!!!!!

See, told you I would go easy..lmao

• Like 1

I totally agreee man, nice post choot em. I just wanna play a real halo game again. If it wasnt for h3 still having somewhat of a population I guess I would be SOL until halo 4 gets here. But yes please god give us a ranking system like h2 or h3. We need to separate the competitive and social gamers. Maybe there wouldn't be so many people quiting out of games , granted this will still happen because of idiots but not nearly as much. As for forge maps having their own playlist, PLEASE! Im so sick of seeing the same color maps over and over when I play reach. I could go on and on about this but the separate playlist for forge maps should definitely exist in h4 and would even be an "easy" fix for reach.

• Like 1

The things I wish for in this next game is my halo 3 battle rifle, ranking system or something that seperates the competitive from the social, have at least MM options for AA's (I don't like them personally, too much like cod to me), new engine that requires leading shots, and forge. New variety of maps. I personally think that they should brighten the game back up and more color to the dullness of reach.

• Like 1

Back in 2001, Microsoft released a console gaming system. It was a bulky piece of work with controllers made for players with huge hands (lol). Released with it was this amazingly addictive game that took of like a rocket in the gaming world. That game was HALO!! The story of a lone hero that was called into service to save humanity from total annihilation from an alien threat known as the Covenent. The story in itself was AMAZING!! It brroke new ground and left you begging for more!!

With that release, there was an option called "multiplayer". "Link up with friends and test you skill against living opponents", they said. Little did they know how addicting that one little option could be :).

For the past ten years, we've seen the addition of more Halo titles and the addition of XBOX Live which made the MM aspect of Halo easier to play against other players from around the world. The ability to add friends, form teams, and even form "clans" added to the addiction of playing countless hours of Halo MM.

Reach added elements such as "bloom" and "armor abilities" and added fan-made maps that just didn't fit well in the old Halo that we knew.

So what would make Halo 4 MM the addicting online play most of us remember?? Simplicity!!! Go back to the roots of Halo and what MM is for Halo. Stay true to the elements that defined Halo's MM!!

Here are a few things I think could help Halo 4 MM achieve this addiction once again:

1. Remove MM elements that were in Reach. Reach in itself is, in my opinion, a great standalone game. Intriguing story and descent multiplayer. But it is not Halo MM we all knew. In Halo 4, 343i is continuing the story of Spartan 117, John, the Master Chief!! In Halo 4 MM, elements that were in Reach MM should not be brought over to Halo 4 MM. I had NO problem with "bloom" or "armor abilities" in Reach. They were different and interesting and made nice additions to Reach's MM. I am in no way saying that Reach has horrible MM. I just think those elements should stay in Reach.
  2. Assassination animation. Let the assassinations be what they were in previous Halo titles. A beat-down from behind with a different awarded medal that did not disrupt or slow down the flow of an online match. I really enjoyed the animations of the assassinations. I did not like the fact that it gave the opposing team a slight opportunity to fire at will on you because you were "locked in" an animation. Leave those in campaign and return to the simple assassinations that add continuity to a match.
  3. Make maps challenging again. This is a quote that I agree with 100%. "Why was Chillout so good???? What about Damnation???? And Hang 'em???? These maps required map control and rotation to gain power weapons and power-ups. THAT IS HALO!!! If this does not exist, there is no reason for you to move around to prevent the other team from gaining control." Using teamwork to gain control of a map.
  4. Use the Cr system for purchaces only!! I expect to see a huge armory in Halo 4. The Cr system is a great idea if implemented for the correct purpose. You should not be able to "buy" your way up the ranks. That's not Halo!! Use the Cr system for what it is designed for. To purchase, purchase, and purchase!! Gain Cr by completing certain tasks within a match and/or by earning certain medals. Have unique armors cost more and basic armors cost less. Buy items such as firefight voices and armor effects. Make the "Rare" armors obtainable through skill and experience and reserve those armors for players that achieve the required skill and exp.
  5. Have dedicated Forge playlists. Alot of fan-made maps are really good. I've never been good at Forging a map but I do respect the attempts of fans that make good maps. Just don't add them in the same list of maps that 343i will be designing!! I want to see what 343i can come up with and play their maps without having fan-made maps mixed in with theirs.
  6. Return to the "Ranked" and "Social" playlists. What I enjoyed so much about the seperated lists was that if you just wanted to have fun without having to worry about "Rank", you could choose "Social" playlist. Those with a more "competitve" spirit could choose "Ranked" playlist. You were not confined to a group of playlists that do not seperate the competitive players from recreational players. Yes there is Arena in Reach, but all you have in Arena is mismatched teams all fighting for one selfish purpose. To gain Cr.
  7. Bring back the skill and rank matchmaking system. Previous Halo titles did an excellent job of matching skill and rank with other players of the same skill and rank. I really liked the EXP system in Halo 2/3. I'm not saying it was perfect and it could use tweaking, but it worked well and gave you determination to achieve higher skill. As a recruit you didn't have to worry about being matched against a General. This matching system also made you play more as a team and gave the entire team the challenge of working together for the win.

I expect to get alot of bashing for this. Many will not agree, some will partially agree. That is the beauty of this site. Community variation of opinions. I want 343i to leave me in "awe" with Halo 4's multiplayer. I want 343i to remind me of what Halo was and show me what Halo should be. I want 343i to return to the roots of MM that made Halo such an addicting game.

Just my thoughts.......

Thankyou so much....halo 4 does not need aa's or bloom. I want to play a fun shooter once again.

• Like 1

I agree with you 100% I hope they go back to the original MM for Halo 4.....I wasn't a big fan of Reach's MM

The assassination animation was a cool idea & all but sometimes it took to long...

& I did not! like armor abilities honestly.....I hope they go back to just regular power up's

like Bubble Shield, Power Drain, Grav Lift, etc.

• Like 1

The things I wish for in this next game is my halo 3 battle rifle, ranking system or something that seperates the competitive from the social, have at least MM options for AA's (I don't like them personally, too much like cod to me), new engine that requires leading shots, and forge. New variety of maps. I personally think that they should brighten the game back up and more color to the dullness of reach.

The H3 battle rifle was a networking disaster that probably could never really work. Long range shots were out of the question, the BR spread caused incredible shot registration inconsistency, and players would often drop shots, which also skewed the gameplay. The host also had a dominant advantage under such circumstances.

Plus, having to lead shots by 3 miles when only 30 feet away from the other player is just ridiculous. Halo Reach's no-bloom settings are much better when players only have to lead shots when shooting long range.

The battle rifle is halo and leading your shots is skillful if anything. You only lead your shots by a hair, its not like you have to aim completely away from your target. I personally love the BR but would have to say the halo 2 BR was probably better, granted it had huge hit boxes and wasnt much of a challenge. I definitely want a BR over that garbage DMR. I guarantee I would win if I had the H3 BR and you had the DMR, no doubt about it. Four shots versus the dmr that takes atleast five, usually 6. But your right, the dmr most likely wins the long range battle... The.BR Definitely needs to be tweaked for H4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with how you are claiming you "buy" your way up the ranks, because it's not like you get credits and purchase ranks.

The credits themselves act as experience points. I also disagree with the removal of the assassinations because you don't have to perform them. You just have to not hold down the trigger and I personally thought they felt pretty rewarding when you manage to pull one off.

All in all though you make some great points.

I actually quite enjoyed that read. Very well structured and you provided quite a bit of thought into it. For that you get a cookie......and an actual basic nice reply from me instead of the huge novel involving you being an idiot...enjoy!

1. Those certain features like "bloom" and "AA's" have always been around. Reach is just the first game outside of Halo 3, to give the player a HUD based visualization of the firing radius of a weapon. AA's are similar to equipment. In time you learn to love both. They are neither good or bad, it's all preference.

2. I kinda agree and disagree. I only disagree when it's me getting killed, instead of me taking advantage of said anim lock. lmao

3. I could not agree more. In fact, since Halo 2, there have been no original brand new map layouts at all. Almost every single map ever made for Halo 3 and Reach, are all borrowed from H1 and H2. We need something new and different, not re-imagined stuff. Don't get me wrong, bringing classic maps like that are awesome, but should not be something released and labeled as "New DLC" content we have to pay for. Ship those puppy's with the game!

4. YES YES YES!!!! Credits should never be linked to the rank system.. bad Bungie.......(slaps faces with genitals)

5. Kudos on that. I hate playing the myriad of playlists for team stuff, only to get a forge map. I absolutely hate playing on forge maps.

6. Absolutely! I hate being in a match and seeing someone with a guest. I loved how you couldn't go into certain playlists when you had a guest in Halo 3.

7. Unfortunatly, I don't play enough multiplayer to put in a thought on this one. So I will just pretend it doesn't exist and say YES!!! BRING BACK CLAN MANAGEMENT FEATURES!!!!!!!!

See, told you I would go easy..lmao

7 - sums you up im afraid mate HALO in my eyes is all about matchmaking and the fact you dont play enough really shows how little you know.

I agree that Reach anything does not belong in Halo4. It was okay for what it was, but the Halo series prior to ODST and Reach was about the Chief and appears to be about him in Halo4. By any sense of timeline or continuity in the Chief's story, who legitimately would conclude anything from Reach or ODST would be in it. It's fine if you like those games, they just have no relevance to what is going on in the future Halo story. It would be ridiculous to have weapons from either game or abilities from Reach. Halo4 should continue the progression from Halo3 and have at least the only weapon i have seen being the new magnum variant with the grenade launcher. From the best I can remember from the Halo 1-2-3 campaigns, the Chief always had support with ammo and weapon drops. If he is by himself all he has is what on his back. I would imagine there would be a whole new set of weapons unless he receives some type of military support again or comes across weapons left during previous human encounters there.