Connection Problems in Halo 5

RedStarRocket91

This issue between TWC and Microsofts servers has been going on for 12 months since the launch of MCC. I understand they are busy and have better things to do. Just letting all the people in this thread know this issue will probably never be fixed and they should return the game or switch ISPs. 

Edit: The fact that is has been a problem for going on a year leads me to believe the people that need to look into this have not even been made aware of the issue. That is what this thread is for.

ok i am just testing a potential fix which involves deleting the local game save data from the xbox one console under setting > system > clear local saved games.

Once this is done the xbox may restart - when the consol is back up if it restarts - then hold down the power button on the fron for 10 seconds, the consol will power off again.

Restart the consol login and start halo the system will import your cloud saves - i have loged back into the warzone and played 2 games so far with no lag or being returned to main screen.

hope this helps all

fingers crossed...........

Halo 5 only let's me connect to multiplayer after 9:30 pm in the united kingdom. Whenever I go on halo before that time it comes up with a message saying "Having trouble authorizing user with online features" and will not let me change my armour or go on multiplayer. After 9:30pm I can access all features. Please fix this.

OMG I have 1,000,0000,000 Upload an 5,000,000 download why cant i haz no lag?!?!

This is what you all sound like to me.  All kidding and mocking aside, lag has very little to do with what "theoretical" speeds you all have or are falsely reported by sites that range your speeds.  Speed tests don't actively test every port nor do they count for multiple ports of packet data being sent or received in anywhere near the quantities that are coming and going through Live.

Secondly, software is not very reliable either.  To get an almost exact look at what speeds you ARE getting, you need to look at your router statistics and isolate traffic and bandwidth usage.

Thirdly, lag can be generated from any number of sources.  Right now while I'm typing this I can think of many reasons such as...

1. Server usage and or traffic.

2. Service interruptions from 2nd and 3rd redirect communications lines.

3. Heavy usage in your area from OTHER people.

4. In house usage from multiple devices.  (Yes your silly tablets and phones are bandwidth guzzlers even when NOT in use.)

5. Server downtime and other Live servers are making up for traffic by redirecting to other servers.

6. Too many incoming requests for servers to keep up with.

7. Firewall settings suck.  Look into how to properly set up your home network to allow bandwidth heavy items have priority.

8. Port forwarding and triggering needs to be done.  Again, see #7

There are literally a dozen more scenarios I could rattle off with little to no trouble.  Spend any amount of time doing Network Administration or Network model coding and you can see how there are literally more problems than any one person or team can account for or solve easily.  We see this with every game launch since gaming has become more connected, even stretching back to the hay day of Halo 2.  Lag is annoying yes, but no amount of crying about it or shouting at 343 Industries is going to fix it.  Lag will never go away and it will always exist.  Welcome to online gaming.

From some one who has spent 10 years in the Networking field, allow me to respond to what you said here.

1.) Server usage/traffic is likely due to poor QoS from their internet circuits. Which means they need to re-prioritize what traffic is being identified as EF. Also they are more likely utilizing F5 load balancers, which is they are getting hammered or not able to handle the traffic, that's actually a 343 problem (unlike what you said earlier). They need to implement additional devices, which I am certain they have the funds for. Then they create additional VIPs that will do a round-robin request and allow traffic in to additional servers that are in a farm. If servers are underperforming, 343 needs to fix it.

2.) Redirect communication lines? Are you referring to load balancing? If so, see #1, because that is still a 343 issue.

3.) Despite popular belief, that's not how ISP service works. ISPs use a similar concept to MPLS, which is tunneling either via layer 2 VPN or layer 3, or through dedicated DLCI in frame relay to your modem. The modem acts as a demarc and termination for their service. That's why they manually register your MAC, so that it can static assign a layer 3 address, and tunnel your traffic to the backbone. Your neighbors do not affect this, unless you're sharing internet.

4.) This is true, inhouse devices impact internet. However a constant TCP session that is open after the TCP handshake usually has an ACK that is resends with no data if the session is constant. Which doesn't even equal 1Kb. The header in a TCP ACK is so minimal, it's irrelevant. On a 50Mb circuit, where TCP port 80 and 443 traffic is all that is being used on 1 or 2 devices outside of the Xbox, you can rest assured that it's not the internal network.

5.) Server downtime or redirect will impact server connections, sure. However there are about 10000000 ways to guarantee service on F5 when you have a VIP that redirects to multiple farms. This is also a 343 issue they should be fixing.

6.) If your servers, or F5 load balancers or other type of load balancer, cannot keep up with requests that is yet another 343 issue they should fix.

7.) Firewalls do suck. This is the only valid point I will agree with. Port Forwarding is necessary, even if you don't have a firewall. This is also to recognize that overloaded TCP headers designated to a certain MAC/IP, regardless of what happens in a handshake or retransmit, the traffic knows what port it is destined for. That way the retransmit, during data loss, service delivery can react quicker.

8.) See #7

Also, what is "Network Coding"? Are you talking about Network Configuration? Configuring a switch, router, ASA/Firewall is configuring, not coding. While this might seem like I am picking on you, if you want to proclaim you're a network admin, engineer, or architect, you better expect some one who is also in the same field to be fairly critical of what you say.

At the end of the day, we are all having issues. I do not anticipate that it's a TWC issue, I anticipate it's a 343 issue. Whether it's overloaded circuits, bad routing, unresponsive servers, I don't care.

I received a refund for my Digital Deluxe purchase. I would highly suggest all of you who cannot successfully resolve their issues, contact Microsoft Support and demand a refund as well. The loss of revenue will be the only way to induce change in a business.

• Like 1

Network coding or "netcode" as the kids like to state, is the network model built upon P2P framework.  I can see how I should have correctly stated netcoding as to not confuse most people.

343 is NOT responsible for the hardware configurations that Microsoft employs.  Contrary to popular belief, VIP or not, the Live service utilizes cloud (Azure) platform framework, this is much different than our typical server farm.  Even with billions of dollars of revenue, it is much much harder to find and cultivate a solution to a problem such as this.

As I tried to state earlier about traffic redirects, what I meant by that is, typically when an outbound packet is sent from your device, it hits the closest ISP server and then get's redirected along the way to say anywhere from 3-15 other servers for checking and verification before your browser or whatever else, ends at the site or data is received.  Yes typically is only a 5ms at best operation, but with enough load on the end server or servers, it can turn 5ms into 3-10 seconds of data lag itself.

Also since Azure is cloud based, this makes data and information sent between clients more task intensive because of the way cloud data is handled with Azure.  There is roughly by itself anywhere from 30-50 servers that each have, receive and send different parts of the data your specific console/GT has.  Same goes for your specific account data.  Your GT details are split up between many servers and are all heavily encrypted.

With networking in general and the Azure model platform (which i was against for year) being used to handle Halo, it was a failure from the beginning.  Most of the blame does go to the engine architects as well as the network abstract layer designers for failing to meet or exceed the needed requirements to ensure smooth gameplay.   At the end of the day I can't really say I blame the developer either, I blame the community of gamers more.  We all keep wanting more before the basics are handled properly.  We can blame 343 all we want, but it is soley Microsoft who provides the servers, the protocols and the final say in how the Live Service is implemented and handled.

I'm curious about your refund.  I expect that since you were issued a refund, you will NOT be able to continue playing Halo 5?

Edited by Twinreaper

Network coding or "netcode" as the kids like to state, is the network model built upon P2P framework.  I can see how I should have correctly stated netcoding as to not confuse most people.

343 is NOT responsible for the hardware configurations that Microsoft employs.  Contrary to popular belief, VIP or not, the Live service utilizes cloud (Azure) platform framework, this is much different than our typical server farm.  Even with billions of dollars of revenue, it is much much harder to find and cultivate a solution to a problem such as this.

As I tried to state earlier about traffic redirects, what I meant by that is, typically when an outbound packet is sent from your device, it hits the closest ISP server and then get's redirected along the way to say anywhere from 3-15 other servers for checking and verification before your browser or whatever else, ends at the site or data is received.  Yes typically is only a 5ms at best operation, but with enough load on the end server or servers, it can turn 5ms into 3-10 seconds of data lag itself.

Also since Azure is cloud based, this makes data and information sent between clients more task intensive because of the way cloud data is handled with Azure.  There is roughly by itself anywhere from 30-50 servers that each have, receive and send different parts of the data your specific console/GT has.  Same goes for your specific account data.  Your GT details are split up between many servers and are all heavily encrypted.

With networking in general and the Azure model platform (which i was against for year) being used to handle Halo, it was a failure from the beginning.  Most of the blame does go to the engine architects as well as the network abstract layer designers for failing to meet or exceed the needed requirements to ensure smooth gameplay.   At the end of the day I can't really say I blame the developer either, I blame the community of gamers more.  We all keep wanting more before the basics are handled properly.  We can blame 343 all we want, but it is soley Microsoft who provides the servers, the protocols and the final say in how the Live Service is implemented and handled.

I'm curious about your refund.  I expect that since you were issued a refund, you will NOT be able to continue playing Halo 5?

I merely work under the assumption that 343 hosts the servers and equipment. If they're outsourcing that to Azure, that's different. However that (as a customer) should be and is completely transparent to us. Similar to how ISPs sell internet to lower or smaller tier ISPs in remote areas. The customer is not going to complain to TWC for Middle-of-nowhere Town's ISP service. They're going to complain to Middle-of-nowhere. They should have an SLA with their provider the guarantees a certain service delivery, as should we as customers. However the Azure cloud platform is very similar to Cisco's Nexus 9k platform, that does ACI for dense performance.

It really comes down to a reliable load balancing perspective. It's hard to blame it on network performance or routing, since (i can go on for days about EGP protocols like eBGP at the backbone), because they are coded to deal with this sort of loss. Besides, BGP peer idle and transitions states work in a matter of milliseconds, and usually result in a 1/1000 packet loss. Halo is equipped to deal with that sort of loss.

Ultimately there is something in the core environment underperforming. If 343 leases that space for their services, they need to work with the vendor to stay true to the SLA they likely purchased for the service. 

I did try to enjoy my time with Halo 5, but unfortunately the lag made it unplayable. Microsoft was kind enough to refund the 100$, after they realized I exhausted all troubleshooting options which were as follows;

Open NAT on Xbox

Static IP & default route pointing out a dedicated internet circuit (using 8.8.8.8 as DNS).

Running and both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless. All necessary port trigging and ports forwarded on the router.

In a corporate environment and home, the Xbox was placed in a DMZ so no firewall would block. A NAT was configured fully open from 1-65535 TCP/UDP ports.

Direct connections to overture in Verizon and TWC, as well as home modems.

Cat 5, Cat5e. and Cat6 cabling testing with all above variables.

I did however limit the connectivity problems to one circumstance. When ever I was in a party and I was in matchmaking. Only then did I receive rubber-banding, and other sorts of lag-related ailments.

If anyone is wondering i have found a solution that will allow me to play until they hopefully sort this mess out. I plugged my Xbox into my PC ethernet port and used a wireless card to connect my PC to my router. Then i subscribed to a paid VPN ($8/month) and shared the connection with my Xbox. I have been testing it since last night and have had 0 warping and freezing issues over 20-30 games. Just to make sure i was not loosing my mind i disconnected the VPN and what do you know i was rubber banding all over the place. Strangely enough when i am connected through the VPN i have Strict NAT with no problems. When i connect without the VPN with all my ports forwarded properly i have Open NAT. Does not make any sense to me but i know jack all about network engineering.  

• Like 1

I am having problems disconnecting from games, which is frustrating due to not getting any REQ points, wasted boosts... I've stopped using them because I can't rely that I'll be able to stay in th game. Not much lag except maybe once or twice seeing a player jump from one place to another, usually resulting in my death. Main issue is random disconnects that have nothing to do with my internet connection. Seems to be mostly in Warzone although that may be because that's what I play most and it has happened in arena. My ISP is Verizon Fios, which is disconcerting. I'd feel somewhat comforted knowing many people share my issue, because that means it'll likely be fixed quickly. But alas, I haven't read anyone having issues with Verizon. :(

GamerTag : sStrugy

ISP (Internet Service Provider) : TWC (Time Warner Cable)

Problem : I have been experiencing continuous amounts of lag playing this game, my stats are awful because i lag constantly or i lag out of every effing game, i see people constantly walking or running into walls then 45+ seconds later im dead multiple times and teleported across the map or i get disconnected, i do not understand what to do, i have tried DMZing and port forwarding all the XBL ports and nothing is working, i even disabled UPnP and nothing is working, i have been researching this subject for days now and everything i have found i have tried and NOTHING is working, i cant enjoy playing with my friends, i cant get good stats like i usually do, i cant beast in multiplayer like i usually do, this game is literatly unplayable for meand apparently others, please resolve this issue, its depressing, first Halo 4, then Halo MCC, now this? come the eff on...

Internet Statistics :

Upload : 6.0

Download : 60.0

Latency : 87ms

Packet Loss : 0%

NAT Type : Open

@Backdraft The main reason for your rubberbanding in matchmaking is because of how 343 specifically initiates connections between clients. On the particular cloud Azure model being utilized, any player who has excess bandwidth to spare (not sure of the array variables they use to calculate this) is forced to utilize that bandwidth to help other players.

I am unsure of how much is used to load balance the quality and quantity of connections to average everyone out...but obviously it is flawed. Im curious as to why this problem is specific to a majority of TWC customers. Logically I would have to assume it is an ISP issue despite what tbeir customer service reps will say.

Cannot connect to Halo Multiplayer at all. Bought on release day, disc copy, doesn't work.

People talk about lag and only some modes working. I have nothing. No multiplayer.

Tried re-installing, NAT is set to open, have the update. No use.

Are 343 addressing this at all? I would like to know before it's too late to get refund. No point in owning game that cannot be played.

• Like 1

Crushing lag kicks me almost every game doesn't happen on any other games or apps on Xbox one have Time Warner Cable business class Internet arris modem down load speed 42 upload 6.12

Crushing lag kicks me almost every game doesn't happen on any other games or apps on Xbox one have Time Warner Cable business class Internet arris modem down load speed 42 upload 6.12

I have TWC in San Diego and I am having the same lag issues as the rest. I did all of the ports and everything else people list as quick fixes and it worked for 2 games then went back to insane lag spikes and instant deaths in multiplayer, including co-op campaign. It's funny how you can be in a xbox live party and talk fine throughout lag issues on Halo, and play any other game and have no problem. I think it is quite amatuerish that this couldn't be a quick fix. I bought xbox one SPECIFICALLY for Halo. I've spent about $600 on everything becuse I've always had a great time playing Halo and assumed it would be a good investment..
You do realize that the amount of people with problems is amounting to a really severe percentage of gamers? I for one am giving it one more week and then I, and a lot of people I know, are giving it up and sending everything back (this isn't a threat - it's just pointless to spend money on a game not to be able to play multiplayer in 2015). Couldn't be more displeased with 343 ruining the only game I enjoy playing.

Please at least show us you're trying to fix the issue.

As an update for people with the multiplayer lag issues. I got on again today to check the server capabilities... direct connect and 5g wifi still have insane lag.. However, i ran my xbox with the 2.4ghz wifi option and there was no server lag, just slower game speed because of the slower internet option. Any idea why that wasn't effected by the same lag problems?

I was able to play fine the other day, but today as of 6pm est (boston) the lag is horrible and I cannot connect to the servers. I just played 1 game of war zone and then it just kicked me out. I cannot get into a game. I hope this gets rectified soon as this franchise is my favorite to play, and pretty much the only game I play.

I need some serious help with Halo 5. I have 2 xbox ones and when me and my friends try to play them on the same connection we will be fine a few minutes but most of the time all we do is lag out and cant play.  When one xbox is lagging the other one can play and when that one can play the first one cant.  I have them both on a wired connection straight to the modem and my ISP is intermountain cable.  They opened all the xbox live ports i needed opened for me.. When we only play as one xbox we can play.  Any solution would be much appreciated, I just want to be able to play halo 5 with my buddies.