343 Industries hurting Halo Reach?

zmer550

I know this topic will generate some flack but quite frankly i dont care. When i first heard about them taking over the halo name i was like, yea ok this could be interesting, but its been nothing but more problems it seems like. One thing that is reely yanking my chain is the constant black screen popping up while a game is going on, yea it did it while bungie was in charge but its been insane lately. Ill be goin on a running riot and the black screen will pop up and completely negate it (happened countless times) sending me back to a killing spree. Another thing is the title update, yea there tryin to make some stuff better, but instead of taking away bloom (which is pointless) why not revise the betrayal booting. Im getting so freakin sick of punk kids killing me everytime i get to a weapon before they did (sniper, rockets, ect), when they kill me i dont have the option to boot em, but if i kill them i get booted, its total BS. Ive grown up playing halo since it first came out and this is the first time ive been kind of worried how the rest of its history will turn out. I dont play it just because its the hot new game and everyone is playing it. I love the story lines and actually feel like im one of the characters. And if youre gonna put some childish reply about this, go to another thread please.

• Like 1

Unfortunatly it isn't as easy as just fixing it. There is a limit as to what MegaloScript can change in-game. The betrayal system is not one of them. Fixing it would require making major code changes to the networking aspect of the game engine. I wish they could revise it, even a little and make some kind of 1 betrayal = boot tweak on certain playlists, but alas it isn't meant to be.

Now I am not saying it is impossible....since I have no idea what the exact limit of the scripting engine is, but more than likely it wont happen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news bro.

They can fix the betrayal booting system by making it so if you throw a grenade and it kills your teammate but it also damages an enemy it will not give the option to boot the player because it was obviously an accident. But of the same thing happens but the grenade didn't damage any nearby enemies it will give you the option to boot. I think the weapons are good though. I don't know a good way to fix this problem when your teammate shoots you and doesnt use grenades. This idea would only be possible in new Halo games as what Twinreaper stated above is 100% true and is very difficult change the codes.

To add to what Twinreaper said, most people think that Bungie, and now 343, could easily fix core problems in the game with ease. It took me a while to understand that is was much more than "turning a knob here or pushing a button there". 343ind. is attempting to offer solutions to the problems and wants that have been the easiest to fix. Remember they did not create this game or system. They are also working on their own projects in Halo CEA and Halo 4. I have seen so many posts in the past about cheating, betraying and lag (or bad host) issues. There were corrections made by Bungie while they had it that may have made corrections today even harder to implement.

Imagine it like this, I currently have 594 posts. Say I repeatedly misspelled a word in every single post and now have to take the time to go back and correct the spelling. That's a lot of work to locate and correct in every single post. Then after I finish I realize that the corrected word now changes the phrasing of a sentence, back to the changes. Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,! I know it is a simplistic way to look at it, but it ain't easy. Hope that helps you to see the depth of the problems in "fixing" problems.

Unfortunatly it isn't as easy as just fixing it. There is a limit as to what MegaloScript can change in-game. The betrayal system is not one of them. Fixing it would require making major code changes to the networking aspect of the game engine. I wish they could revise it, even a little and make some kind of 1 betrayal = boot tweak on certain playlists, but alas it isn't meant to be.

Now I am not saying it is impossible....since I have no idea what the exact limit of the scripting engine is, but more than likely it wont happen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news bro.

Wouldn't turning off friendly fire be relatively easy?

They can fix the betrayal booting system by making it so if you throw a grenade and it kills your teammate but it also damages an enemy it will not give the option to boot the player because it was obviously an accident. But of the same thing happens but the grenade didn't damage any nearby enemies it will give you the option to boot. I think the weapons are good though. I don't know a good way to fix this problem when your teammate shoots you and doesnt use grenades. This idea would only be possible in new Halo games as what Twinreaper stated above is 100% true and is very difficult change the codes.

I don't think that would be very efficient. The enemy can simply armor lock or run away and ypu would be booted.

Good point Ghetto. Yes they could easily enable / disbale friendly fire in the playlists. But I think that is only half the problem. Most hardcore playlists and the really competative guys, dont want that friendly fire stuff. Griffball is a good example I guess. If friendly fire were turned off, you'd have people boosting eahother to the goal all over the place, making it that much harder to actually play a good solid match. Same would go for CTF. In most cases it seems, due to the way the netcode is written, and how the new Havok Collision detection works, it makes it harder for the game to properly report which damage to apply and when to a specific target.

For example, say you were charging a guy at his base with the bomb. Your about to die from some DMR fire, and your buddy throws a grenade. Said grenade detonates directly under you feet. At the same time or possibly bout 32mls later, a DMR shot hits your head. Now becuae of latency and and damage reporting timings, the dmr bullet will be nulled, since the game is currently in that 32mls to 70 mls range, negating and sorting that friendly nade and it's damage.

Like Absolute Dog said, the code base for MegaloScript alone is huge. Too huge even for me to grasp 25% of what it is capable of, and to what extent he side engine contains. it will never be as simple as just making a few syntax changes. One small change that seems okie dokie, could well end up breaking the whole combat system.

Wouldn't turning off friendly fire be relatively easy?

I don't think that would be very efficient. The enemy can simply armor lock or run away and ypu would be booted.

Maybe not, its just a thought. 20 mins after i posted i realized this and i also realized that someone could just shoot an enemy once and then betray the teammate and not get booted.

Btw guys I was wondering, can you get booted if you purposely kill a team member by only using grenades? Ive noticed that people tend to use grenades on me when I get the sniper rifle first instead of just shooting me, and then when they kill me with the grenades I never get a chance to boot them but I can only boot them when they kill me with bullets. Has anyone had trouble like this?

good points being made, when i posted this the other night i was just so fed up with all the BS. ive been trying to snipe more to get my comendations up and get my rank up. another point that needs to be addressed is the accidental betrayals, one that happened to me reely stands out. i had the plasma launcher locked onto the enemy falcon, well i ended up getting it but as it blew up a piece flew off of it and killed one of my teammates giving me a betrayal and i got booted instantly.

I know this topic will generate some flack but quite frankly i dont care. When i first heard about them taking over the halo name i was like, yea ok this could be interesting, but its been nothing but more problems it seems like. One thing that is reely yanking my chain is the constant black screen popping up while a game is going on, yea it did it while bungie was in charge but its been insane lately. Ill be goin on a running riot and the black screen will pop up and completely negate it (happened countless times) sending me back to a killing spree. Another thing is the title update, yea there tryin to make some stuff better, but instead of taking away bloom (which is pointless) why not revise the betrayal booting. Im getting so freakin sick of punk kids killing me everytime i get to a weapon before they did (sniper, rockets, ect), when they kill me i dont have the option to boot em, but if i kill them i get booted, its total BS. Ive grown up playing halo since it first came out and this is the first time ive been kind of worried how the rest of its history will turn out. I dont play it just because its the hot new game and everyone is playing it. I love the story lines and actually feel like im one of the characters. And if youre gonna put some childish reply about this, go to another thread please.

343 SHOULD MURDER REACH AND NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN.

343 SHOULD MURDER REACH AND NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN.

But I love Reach. Furthermore, black screening isn't really their fault. There are more people joining Halo with **** connections and even more people that are network manipulators. As for the betrayal system, I think they should make it more noticeable towards people doing excessive damage to a team mate. For an example, a team mate constantly hitting you or trying to shoot you should get a 1st offense boot, as opposed to someone with a sniper one shotting you or a sticky killing you. People would still betray, but that seems like it would stop it from happening so often.

I totally agree with the first post. You have know idea how much self control it takes to keep from splattering the little b i c h that keep throwing grenades at the wraith i just got in, or shooting it with a ghost. Frankly its pathetic that you cant boot someone who melees you in the back when your sniping, then picks it up once your dead, but you get booted for destroying a enemy vehicle and taking out a team mate with the splash damage!

• Like 1

I have a better solution that would more than likely apease everyone. Ina standard sports game you always have backup team members or shifts that come in to releive or replace members of the team. I suggest that each match of team play in certain playlists, like grifball and CTF, have a backup system. here's what I eman.

When you are in the lobby waiting for players, the system picks the standard players. On top of that up to 4 more people are chosen as backups. 2 for each team. These people do not get to play, but are instead "benched" in a spectator mode. When a player starts betraying a team or doing things out of "team play" normalcy, the offended team mate can push a button, have that person ejected, and then have a "spectator" player, join the match in the booteds' place. Of coarse to please the spectators, they would receive the same completion credits for the match as everyone else. As for the offenders, they should have a completion crdit balance deducted from there bank of credits.

Personally I think that is a great way to emphasize to players that team work at all times is a must, and it is not a competition to see what team memebr individually is the best. Save that stuff for Rumble pit or stand alone gametypes. This alone would curb the excessive amount of betrayers for bombs and flag captures during team play. I mean c'mon...who wants to give up 3k in credits just for a few flag captures?

Again though, this feature is best left for the newer Halo titles. Using ideas like this now, would nessessitate the need for people to buy a new Halo title, and diminish the rplay value of a future title. Just my 2 cents worth...

I enjoy the classic side of ZB, makes it interesting to see how good you actually are at hitting your target, and reaction time. Armor lock has always pissed me off and usually when someone goes into it I just walk away so that change really hasn't affected me. I would hate for them to go and change everything to ZB though, I would feel like I lost an important aspect of FPS.

Bloom is the bane of the halo series... it's the number one thing people wanted removed because it slowed down the overall pace of the game. the betrayal thing is a complicated issue though, because removing friendly fire would allow people to spam grenades and rockets at their teammates which would drastically change game play and introduce the stick your teammate as he runs into enemy players strategy.

If your going to go off and complain about bloom being a killer concept to the Halo titles, then you my friend either have no idea what bloom is, or you have a very strange way of explaining what you think/know bloom is. Bloom has been in every single Halo title released, and is core basics of weapon firing spread.

There is nothing complicated about friendly fire or the betrayal system. I have been playing Halo a long time, and I have never experienced a teammate sticking someone just to have them run into the enemy and earn a few quick kills as a strategy. It takes skill to stick another skilled player, and by that reasoning, if you can easily stick a teammate in front you, why not just stick the enemy a few short meters away, and kill all three without the assistance of a mobile plant?

The key point, is that the scenario you describe is small and extremely isolated, and would not effect a large margin of the gaming community. Would you defend the same stand point if the roles were reversed, and it was you, sticking an enemy not knowing a teammate was coming around the corner? Would you be satisfied to know your wreckless actions, and lack of being able to properly survey the battle field, led to a betrayal, and a possible boot? Or worse, maybe your ally was carrying a flag, and now you just killed your own flag carrier? Can you still defend the standpoint of having friendly fire then?

• Like 1

Well, Sadly the same exact thing happened to Halo 3 back when Bungie had just released Reach and They got alot of complaints at the time about how the Mutiplayer system wasn't working up to par well now the shoes on the other foot and instead of Halo 3 its halo reach and since 343 is so busy with working on Halo 4 i'd assume they don't have full time to pay attention to Reach therefore its encountering problems and nothing is being done that is why i bring up Halo 3 because when it was bungie and not 343 the same exact thing happened.