Was Destiny a real success? ( not including the money it made )

Caboose The Ace

Was Destiny a real success? ( not including the money it made )  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Was it

Did Destiny succeed on the promises it.... promised? :)

Well I would put a massive rant here but.... Im pretty everyone knows my current stance on Destiny. In short.

I hate Destiny because it relies too much on chance. A bad player has more chance of getting good gear than a bad. Some players have seen loads of exotics some other have seen none. Why? because luck not skill.

You also have to grind for almost everything. Now that would not be so bad if Destiny had lots of things to do but it does not. There is nowhere near enough content.

So once you get to level 20 ( where the game really begins ) you have 2 choices.

1 Grind for 1 to 2 weeks for a single piece of armour.

2 Depend on luck.

What fun.....

I would go on but that is my biggest issue with the game and the biggest reason why I sold it an exact month after launch.

So no, I don't think it did because the core gameplay ( the getting of the loot ) is broken.

Edited by Caboose The Ace
  • Like 1

There are so many reasons I hate Destiny.Not because it was made by Bungie (damn I still respect Bungie), but because of trying to implement Halo style mixed with WoW styled monsters to actual game.I think it was not sucess but neither failure.Bungie could've done more than making another common online game,where we haven't seen anything new as it needed to be.

It's quite an interesting game, there aren't many like it. Grinding is very much a part of MMOs. Even if it was easy to get powerful unlocks, which would be pretty lame, you would still need to grind to collect the necessary materials for upgrading current armors/weapons or to purchase valuables. The luck is luck, same for everyone, doesn't differentiate between bad or good players. But being able to complete certain missions to attain such loot chances does differentiate good/bad players. Perhaps it would be nice if the loot system was a bit more refined and focused on individual player achievement. A guarantee of some loot would be a nice touch too, sometimes coming out dry is rough. But, to an extent. I'm sure Bungie is pondering such a road.

More content would be nice, indeed.

Once I got to lv 20 I leveled up to 27 quite quickly. All I did was play with mates or go solo on Strike Playlists. You just play, chill, and good stuff comes to you.

A good thing about Destiny is that it's already got a solid core - Bungie's masterful player movement, weapon setup, fighting sequences, environments...and it can be improved and expanded upon drastically. It can reach great heights.

With no terrible problems at launch (looking at you dastardly MCC), a universe that's sure to offer future fun and interest, and many differentiating, but enthusiastic opinions/interpretations of the game and its mechanics, Destiny is a core success that is being built upon by a top-level company towards refinement.

I agree, Destiny is a game on luck, but there are other ways of getting gear and such as well. I feel as though your 2 choices are a bit exaggerated. It does not take 1-2 weeks for one piece of armor, depending on where you are getting it. And depending on luck is not something I do or most players do. You depend on doing the missions and then receiving materials accordingly. I live Destiny, but with all the love there is some hate as well. 

Destiny was a great success. It had a good launch, especially compared to many other games that launched this year. It's story was virtually nonexistent, but it established a fantastic world for future storytelling. RNG is RNG, nothing to complain about there. The gunplay is some of the best there is and raiding is the most fun I've ever had in a video game. However, the best sign of a game's success is the community that forms around it and Destiny's community is easily the best comunity in gaming today.  Destiny suffers from a lack of content and nonexistent story, but has nonetheless managed to secure a fairly large community of hardcore fans. It's a great success and it can only get better from here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...