Will Halo 2 Anniversary be announced at E3? I think so.

Screech

h2a_zps9a64f482.png

So as most of us know, the release date for Halo 2 Anniversary has recently been rumored to be November 9th, 2014. And as some of us may have not known, that exact date marks the 10th anniversary of Halo 2's initial release on the original Xbox.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary was released on the 10th anniversary of H:CE's initial release.

This, among many other things, leads me to believe Halo 2 Anniversary WILL be released on November 9th of this year and that our 'next Halo experience' 343i has been taking about for the past few months will actually be H2 Anniversary.

hcea_zps93805330.png

After all, 343i has been saying it's going to be making a big reveal for the next Halo game at this year's E3, where Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (also released in the month of November) was also officially announced in June of 2011.

And Peanut did just post about a blogger claiming to have inside info on Microsoft's E3 press conference leaking info on a Halo 2 Anniversary announcement (as well as a Halo 5 release date reveal) taking place at E3 '14.

---

So, what do you guys think? Is our 'next Halo experience' that 343i has been teasing for quite some time now going to be Halo 2 Anniversary? I'm almost certain of it myself but I'm interested in what you guys think the devs will announce at E3!

• Like 2

Unfortunately I can not find the article that I read a week or so ago, so I can not back up what I am about to say. So take it with a grain of salt since I cant find the article. 

But I happened to come across something about a list of games that will be announced at E3. And Halo 5 and Halo 2 Anniversary were not being announced. In fact, the spokesman for the company wasnt even going to be allowed to speak of Halo or 343i at all. 

So do I think Halo 2 Anniversary is gonna be announced? Absolutely not. I believe that they are only rumors and disguises to get fans excited and then let down when they find out there is no such thing. 

Those who are looking forward to the game, just remember, the Fallout 3 fans are going through the same thing. Lots of rumors about a Fallout 4, yet no confirmation. Same thing with Halo 2 Anniversary. 

Sorry guys, but in my own personal opinion, I do not believe there is going to be a Halo 2 Anniversary, much less any announcement of one. 

Those who are looking forward to the game, just remember, the Fallout 3 fans are going through the same thing. Lots of rumors about a Fallout 4, yet no confirmation. Same thing with Halo 2 Anniversary.

I think there's waaaaay more proof behind Halo 2 Anniversary coming out than there is to Fallout 4 being a thing. I mean, it simply wouldn't make sense for there not to be a Halo 2 Anniversary. If H2 Anniversary isn't released on November 9th, 2014, MS will have to wait another 5 years for the 15th anniversary of the original game's release for an "Anniversary" edition to make any sense.

The only sense behind the CEA game was to mark the anniversary of when Halo started.  it wasn't because they knew it would be a cash cow (it actually sold poorly), it was to mark a milestone in history for Xbox and Microsoft.  If you really believe what you heard about H2A and the features that are supposed to be included, then either 343i worked some sort of secret magic, or you are wishfully thinking and not doing very much research to solidify these claims.  I'll put my money on the latter.

If you really believe what you heard about H2A and the features that are supposed to be included, then either 343i worked some sort of secret magic, or you are wishfully thinking and not doing very much research to solidify these claims.  I'll put my money on the latter.

Ha! Alright, whatever you say. I didn't make any mention of the features that are supposed to be included in the game, all I said was I'm very confident it's going to be coming out on November 9th of this year. And I did back up my "claims" with evidence from research. You would have known all of this if you had read my post before bashing me :P

Thanks for insulting me, though - I appreciate it!

He wasnt bashing. He's just a blunt speaker. He's one of those people that speak what is on his mind, without thinking of the consequences. 

But there really is no proof of a release of a H2A. And ts quite backwards with Fallout 4. There is really more of a chance of a new Fallout game being released before a chance of a H2A game being released. Its about that time again for the next version of a Fallout game. 

Realistically, there really is no reason to make a H2A. H2 was not the first game in the franchise. And even if they did make one, which makes no sense at all to do so, would only to make a quick buck. Other than that, there is no reason to make one. The only game they need to make and release is the next Halo installment. Not a remake. 

I understand, it's just that he was criticizing me for saying things I didn't actually say. And I have to disagree that there's no reason for a Halo 2 Anniversary. Halo 2 was one of the biggest online FPS games of its time and it played a big role in the original Xbox's success. It was and still is iconic.

I think the 10th anniversary of the game's release calls for an anniversary edition, especially if it would mark the return of the game's multiplayer! Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary wasn't a cash cow because it didn't have its own built-in multiplayer... and despite that, it managed to sell more than 2 million copies, essentially being nothing more than a re-skinned version of the original game.

If the devs learn from their mistakes with Combat Evolved Anniversary and include built-in multiplayer in the anniversary edition of Halo 2, I'm certain it would sell much better than CE Anniversary. There are still over 1,000 people playing Halo 2 online over system link services like Xlink Kai and Xbox Connect, after all... 10 years after the game came out, mind you.

Original Halo 2 multiplayer IS NOT compatable with the new version. Further, Halo 2 cannot be graphically updated without a secondary engine running the enhancements. Maybe if you bothered to do actual research about Legacy Xbox support and the Halo Blam! engine, you would know this.

Saber3d is the engine that was running the enhanced version of CEA, and CE did not have a Live network model. As for Halo 2, yes it was groundbreaking, but that does not warrant a remake. The game is perfect the way it is, and as you stated, people can still play it through pnp tunneling or on the PC with the EXACT same multiplayer experience. The mod community has made several ranking apps in the past, but went unused.

The thing is, if they make a H2A, then the fans are going to want a H3A and so on. And sadly, its time to let the memories live on and let some of these games pass on with time. Let them focus on the next installment and maybe make it better than its predecessor, and not spend their time on another Anniversary. 

I would rather a new game with better time well spent on it, than see them focus on two games at once. Which is what the last mistake was when it was CE Ann and Halo 4. And believe me, I wasnt impressed with neither. I just dont talk about it if I can help it. 

Original Halo 2 multiplayer IS NOT compatable with the new version. Further, Halo 2 cannot be graphically updated without a secondary engine running the enhancements. Maybe if you bothered to do actual research about Legacy Xbox support and the Halo Blam! engine, you would know this.

Sorry, I'm not a game developer and I have no idea how this kind of stuff like this works. And you'll have to forgive me for not doing hours upon hours of research on every technical aspect of a video game before making a forum post; I just spent 5 months writing research paper after research paper and I'd like to take a break from that.

Anyway, I see where the problem would lie with having to build a new engine for the game itself to run on, but why would having a secondary engine for the updated graphics be a problem? Saber Interactive did that for CE Anniversary and it worked very well.

The problem with Saber3d, is that is only compatable to an extent. While it does run graphics, sound and physics identical to Halo CE, Halo 2 was tue one title that took the most drastic step forward in just about every area of the engine. The way Halo 2 renders is backwards from the way CE did. Textures and shaders also work very differently on Halo 2, than any of the others. In terms of kinship, Halo 2 stands alone. 3, Reach and 4 have more in common with CE, than Halo 2. But again, the Sabre engine only ran the enhancements for campaign. If Halo 2 was to use the engine to run a new version along side the original, I suspect that the outcome would be less than desirable.

I see! I guess this is just one of those things where you know something most-likely isn't possible but you hope for a miracle and remain optimistic that it will. A lot of the community has been asking for a Halo 2 Anniversary for a while now and I think there's a great demand for a return of the game's multiplayer... hopefully that was enough inspiration for MS and the devs to make it happen.

Well we and they (Microsoft) have to be carefull when it comes to Halo 2. Halo 2 was my favorite, and is still widely regarded as the pinnacle of Halo. Releasing a remake or even an original version and including a multiplayer close to the original, can be devestating to the franchise. They always worried about splitting the fanbase with having so many playable Live titles, but just think how poorly Halo 5 would start off, if everyone played Halo 2? I dont think MS would chance creating a cataclysmic divide in the fan base by releasing anything near what we had in Halo 2. Financially it makes sense yes, but only in the short term. For long term, the game would do more harm than good for the franchise.

Unfortunately I can not find the article that I read a week or so ago, so I can not back up what I am about to say. So take it with a grain of salt since I cant find the article. 

But I happened to come across something about a list of games that will be announced at E3. And Halo 5 and Halo 2 Anniversary were not being announced. In fact, the spokesman for the company wasnt even going to be allowed to speak of Halo or 343i at all. 

So do I think Halo 2 Anniversary is gonna be announced? Absolutely not. I believe that they are only rumors and disguises to get fans excited and then let down when they find out there is no such thing. 

Sorry guys, but in my own personal opinion, I do not believe there is going to be a Halo 2 Anniversary, much less any announcement of one. 

There's been a couple of articles claiming to have the E3 lineup some say there is no Halo 2 anniversary and Halo 5 content and I've seen others say there will be Halo 2 and Halo 5. I can't see a Halo games-less microsoft conference at E3.

It was confirmed by Phil Spencer that Halo will show up at E3, I will keep in mind of the possibility that he may only be referring to the TV series but I definitely think it is game related. Also lets not forget the slogan from last years E3 "2014 your journey begins on Xbox one" and "your Halo journey continues in 2014" that Microsoft has been saying, that could too relate to the TV series but I think it will air early next year. 

So what else could those slogans fit with? It can't be the next Major Halo because they would have properly started marketing it with vidocs, trailers etc long by now if it were to come out this year, we would have the release date for it too by now. The only thing I can see it can fit with is Halo 2 anniversary because Halo 2 itself already exists, it's not a brand new installment, it's only a HD remake so they don't need to have a big long marketing campaign for it, Revealing it at E3 then a few months of advertising it would be enough just like what they did with Halo CEA.

My opinion does change from time to time regarding if Halo 2 anniversary will happen due to the lack of official confirmation or denial of it, there's times where I've been confident it will and times where I just say to myself just wait and see. But there's something I've always wondered and that is why microsoft has not shot down the rumor yet, months after it started? They did it with other halo 2 rumors in a matter of hours of surfacing and rumors regarding their other products.

• Like 2

Hope, despair, and survival run around this E3 for Halo. Let me ask of you all this... If there is not to be a Halo 2: anniversary, then...

What is the next step, where is the future?

There are constants in this situation, let me lay them out for you.

1. A Halo experience in 2014 on Xbox one. (unless they push the release date back, and apologize for not realizing 2 years is not enough time. Heh, in your dreams.)

2. This Halo experience will run at a "blistering" 60 FPS

3. It will also have Dedicated servers.

(there may be more than this, but just the ones that stick out in my mind.)

If this "Halo Experience" is indeed Halo 5, there is the consequence of a 2 year development window. (Basically not enough time)

So tell me, What would you rather see? A rushed, incomplete game just like we received last time, (I liked it, don't get me wrong, but facts are facts.)

or the increased divide of the community with Halo 2: Anniversary but to see as to the betterment of a title you couldn't get more time on?

Pick your poison people, pick your poison.

Well, unless you can find a better solution for Microsoft besides moving the release date back, because that's not going to happen.

Honestly, I'd be okay with waiting another year (or at least a few more months) for Halo 5. I still enjoy every aspect of Halo 3 and Halo 4 has really good custom games. I just think both MS and 343 want to get a new full-fledged Halo title out A.S.A.P. to kick Halo 4 under the rug. We'll see what E3 holds in a few weeks though!

Adam maybe the Halo TV show takes place after the events of Halo 4 and builds up for Halo 5 ? :)

The tv show isn't going to be (or not suppose to be) a filler, it is it's own piece of extended universe and lore so I can't see it just building up to the events of Halo 5 and letting the game take it from there. It will could take place at the same time as the game but follow a different route.

Well we and they (Microsoft) have to be carefull when it comes to Halo 2. Halo 2 was my favorite, and is still widely regarded as the pinnacle of Halo. Releasing a remake or even an original version and including a multiplayer close to the original, can be devestating to the franchise. They always worried about splitting the fanbase with having so many playable Live titles, but just think how poorly Halo 5 would start off, if everyone played Halo 2? I dont think MS would chance creating a cataclysmic divide in the fan base by releasing anything near what we had in Halo 2. Financially it makes sense yes, but only in the short term. For long term, the game would do more harm than good for the franchise.

If MS and 343 wanted to hit the reset button then they would likely do that. But they are not at that point yet I don't believe.

Yeah it could very well be.

If I recall it is supposed to be about something unrelated to the games. Might just be my own fantasy.

I also anticipate a Halo 2 Anniversary at E3. Will be mildly surprised if it isn't there.

If it were up to me I would have had some 3rd party developers make a strong single player game to come out this year. One that won't detract from Halo 5 or ruin the 'Halo 2 experience'. But something to add a good chunk of lore to the universe and keep people satisfied for another year. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Edited by WonderWombat