Forge Island, bad for dominion!

T O lR T A

Originally I was going to entitle this topic Forge Island sucks, but I have seen  a couple of decent maps used with the terrain wisely and that would therefore contradict what I would say.

I am more of a dominion forger and I know ALOT about of dominion. And I have initially made around maybe 3-5 dominion maps on forge island  (some tested, most scrapped) and I have not been able to continue any.

I found the greatest disadvantage to making a dominion map in Forge Island is the flatness! It is unbelievably difficult to make an enjoyable dominion map on that canvas. You would have to work through many sight lines and then create alot of own terrain to differentiate the map and not give it that even level fighting ground.

If you have attempted to forge a dominion map, post how you feel. This is my perspective so don't feel offended on how I view things.

• Like 2

I can concur with this, that forge island is bad for certain things. I was expecting a boost in number of placeable pieces to match Reach's count. Instead, some of the pieces, such as windows, inclines, and platforms are now more limited in number. My suggestion, use a curve control, instead of verticality. Bend the map a little and make some sub bases the replacement for vertical change.

Any maps I have made on FI have been entirely in my own terrain, with a few modded in Rock 5's for support. (PM me for GT of the guy who did the mods)

I triedsking one for my Star Wars: Battlefront gametype, but it fell apart. I honestly think Erosion and Impact are best for dominion.

FI has water, and good background/ lighting

Well, you don't have to make the map entirely on the flat island tops. You can use the rocks near the base, hang your map off the side and use part of the terrain as a high ground, or do a number of other things. 

I have tried a couple of times using the water to make a docks themed map, but with the map using walls and blocks for my own terrain, I was unable to make a quality dominion based map. Instead I did turn it into a BTB map that I have left unfinished. Usually making a dominion map with own terrain does create many risks but it rewards by differentiating the map.

I can concur with this, that forge island is bad for certain things. I was expecting a boost in number of placeable pieces to match Reach's count. Instead, some of the pieces, such as windows, inclines, and platforms are now more limited in number. My suggestion, use a curve control, instead of verticality. Bend the map a little and make some sub bases the replacement for vertical change.

Using the whole island is something I did experience with my first time but it was too big, so I already understand that that would not be the ideal idea. Also the map I'm attempting to make at the moment is inspired by Exile, which I recognized is pretty flat so I'm having a bit of support by that.

Any maps I have made on FI have been entirely in my own terrain, with a few modded in Rock 5's for support. (PM me for GT of the guy who did the mods)

I triedsking one for my Star Wars: Battlefront gametype, but it fell apart. I honestly think Erosion and Impact are best for dominion.

FI has water, and good background/ lighting

I love the rock mods... but if the map does have a chance to go into matchmaking, it would not be able to be in considering that modded maps are unacceptable into matchmaking. But for a fun dominion map with lots of changes and natural inclines, I would most likely do that in more of my own spare time.

Don't forget, there are also the interiors of the islands which can be put to use. The water looks completely different, and the edges of the islands look like mountains. Lighting can be a bit wonky though.

Don't forget, there are also the interiors of the islands which can be put to use. The water looks completely different, and the edges of the islands look like mountains. Lighting can be a bit wonky though.

That also goes with building my own terrain though :( I'd like to, but if I did so then the bases I would make would not be a "base" but merely a location. That is why when making a BTB map with own terrain, it is better for extraction then dominion. I have seen two great dominion maps used with terrain don't get me wrong, it is just that the novice or even intermediate forger will not be able to pull it off. I could probably do it, but I ain't good with my own terrain. -_-

This is an interesting topic. I have seen a couple of really nice BTB maps on the top of the large forge island. I have tried to make a BTB map using nothing but rocks and found it too flat and too open (sandtrap-esq sort of map). As for elevation, I think there are plenty of objects, including large rock objects, to forge with.

For dominion, the issues you raise of long sight lines and lack of elevation are definitely a challenge I would not mind at all.

One thing I would experiment with more are trees for soft cover. They seem to have a very interesting use.