The Final Death of Halo.

Cortar

Since its inception, Halo was known as one of the best arena-style, competitive games. For its brief lifespan, Halo has enjoyed a great popularity as a competitive game, one that MLG held high and even got some of its players big name sponsorships like their pictures and names on cans of sodas. You could always count on Halo being one of the most fair games. Experienced players only knew the maps, something a newbie could master in a few hours or days at most. Now, all of that is gone. Its been officially recognized too, by MLG. Halo 4 is no longer a part of the competitive community. I expect the MLG playlist won't ever come to fruition or even matter now if it does. I expect now that more competitive players will leave in droves, that Halo 5 will not even bother trying to be fair or competitive. It seems that COD's gravity was just too great for Halo to escape its pull.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/01/24/halo-out-and-cod-in-at-major-league-gaming-but-why/

• Like 1

I don't really relate the departure of MLG to the conclusion of Halo.

When Halo dies I think it's more likely to be from its continued mismanagement, which you think is demonstrated in the MLG severance, but I think is demonstrated in the way they started trying to make it another game. When you start imitating more than innovating you don't have a lot of time left, but ONLY if you keep that up. It still has lots of chances to be saved, Halo 4 may be pretty bad but they have the money for Halo 5 and the customers for it too. Basically 343 inherited a lot of slack because Halo will get a lot of slack. If they get smart and fix their direction problems they could easily make an extremely good Halo 5.

Hell they could have made Halo 4 good. I don't think it's as hard as people pretend when you have so much to draw upon. That's why it's so upsetting that they did so badly, because it was easy to do it right. Look to CoD for your example, they change barely anything, just new maps, weapons, and kill streaks. People still buy these games that are lazily made (I hear that they're lazy... from their fans). They know they have a solid formula so they don't **** with it. Too bad Halo's directors haven't had that wisdom and confidence.

There are lots of ways for Halo to succeed as a franchise and not nearly as many for it to fail. It just has a lot of steam, so even if people stop playing it they'll look up reviews and stuff for the next Halo game to see if they should get back into it. There's just a lot of potential left, the only real likely "killer" of Halo will be some corporate BS like them selling and scrapping the title or a bankrupt filing, Halo won't be killed by anything related to gaming.

MLG's actions just don't have a whole lot of bearing on the matter.

Someone posted that same article over at waypoint and honestly it's not much more impressive than a well-written forum post. I've read stuff like that dozens of times written by people who weren't paid to write it, I wouldn't be surprised if that dude was making an easy living reading good forum posts and then plagiarizing them. I'm not saying that's what he's doing, just that his article is that irrelevant.

• Like 2

lol yeah. Resident evil 6 was a train wreck. Terrible action game, terrible horror game, horrible controls and dumbed down inventory. Fans of RE 4 and 5 hated it, and fans of the original games? Forget about it.

My favorite terrible moment from the game was trying to shoot a zombie that obviously was going to reanimate and attack me, only to find you CAN'T interact with it until you get close enough for it to try a cheesy cheap scare lunge. It was so painfully obvious and that's a game mechanic from the 90's I think?

I thought 5 was kinda ****ty but now RE5 looks like RE4 compared to RE6!! LOL.

I game flyed 6 with my friend.. only 2 things i enjoyed about it. a 24hour long campaign which was good, and leon campaign. Thats all i can say was good about that game, i was fighting people with guns and stuff it was not resident evil. someone from resident evil even came out and said they messed up and there going back to what makes RE RE which is horror i feel thats kinda what halo needs to do but not the horror and i don't mean MLG because halo made halo Mlg was just a gametype.

i was fine with RE5 you could upgrade guns kill some zombies, 4 was silly i missed 3 :(

Halo is not dead its just another alright game nowadays, it fall from grace has been dramatic with the last 2 releases killing a game that was king of the hill...

Sure CoD may have had great sales figures but Halo used to be a great game, now we have a mediocre replacement that has lost most of what made its predecessors great...

MLG has nothing to do with it, honestly who really cares about MLG except those playing it??? My life is too good for me ever to be too great at a computer game lol.. Its the game that is doing the damage to the title nothing else.

Dead may be the wrong term but it is no longer a great game and considering how many good games there are out now its no more than a middle of the bunch runner which is one of the saddest realisations since I began playing video games.

• Like 2

Seriously? Just because MLG is not working with Halo anymore, doesn't mean the series isn't any good. MLG is just a sponsor (or a leech if you ask me), since it didn't have anything to do with the production of the series itself.

If you read through all the posts you will see most of em agree with you, however Halo has declined from a great game to just another good game, which considering how many of them there are it really is not good enough.

Halo will not die as long as money is to be made and lets be honest money will be made from people who buy it, play a bit then put it away for something else. This is a weak attempt to carry on a title that was once great and it made all the mistakes Reach did and then some.. Halo was special in a field saturated by the norm but now it has gone a long way to joining the norm and is not good enough to come out on top.

MLG has nothing to do with its decline there are a hundred reasons splattered across this forum that explain the fall. You can stick your head in the sand and say all is good or you can look around and see the problems for what they are.

• Like 1

I hope MLG splits. Then people who want to play for fun can enjoy it more. Honestly, I want a Halo game where the campaign is about 20 missions and hardly any/no multiplayer. Just campaign... I think most people will stay for the story. Halo has a unique story, and is well written. I and many others will stay if just for that.

Why does multiplayer have to be in a game for it to be good these days?

I hope MLG splits. Then people who want to play for fun can enjoy it more. Honestly, I want a Halo game where the campaign is about 20 missions and hardly any/no multiplayer. Just campaign... I think most people will stay for the story. Halo has a unique story, and is well written. I and many others will stay if just for that.

Why does multiplayer have to be in a game for it to be good these days?

Because if it was only a campaign game half of the people like myself would just rent it and not waste 60 dollars on a 5 hour campaign we need some replay ablility. Mlg is already gone just because its mlg doesn't mean they didn't enjoy it. when i'm playing competitively and winning i'm having fun.

Halo dead?, far from it IMHO, i have heard this before with games dateing back to my comodore 64 days 8P. But anyway opinions are like a$$holes we all have one.and they usualy arn't worth what it took to make them :D.

Personaly i love HALO 4 because i'm an old fart who enjoys the campaign i'm not playing for the MP (unforutently i cant twitch shoot like i used to 20+ years ago, and i hate the motion sensor being on in MP 8)), So i leave the multiplayer to my sons, while i enjoy watching them play(they hate the motion sensor as well) well i'll keep laying the campaign & SO missions alone & coop,

I dont consider any video game a sport, no matter how much money ppl throw around etc, trying to sell video gameing as a 'sport', so i wont miss MGL not being part of HALO 4 etc. When i want competitive play, i already get it, whenever i join an HALO4 MP game.

Regards, John