Star Wars: Battlefront III (Wishful Thinking)

FleshBack

How cool would it be to see one of the top selling Star Wars games of all time (possibly the most, don't know if SWTOR beat it) were to make a comeback on the new generation of Xbox?

I personally find it to be a great shame that the game was canceled when Pandemic bit the dust. Such great gameplay and so much potential. I genuinely feel we fans of the series got the short end of the stick on this one as the first two were so successful, another sequel was almost compulsory.

In fact, the lore of the Star Wars universe have expanded so much since the last game's release that much more depth could be added to the next game. Imagine where you could choose your era when picking factions, and I am not talking about new trilogy vs old. Imagine that they included factions of the old republic a well. The competing factions could be the Sith Empire vs The Old republic with neutral factions including the Mandalorians, the Hutt Cartel, the Exchange, among others.

There could be so many more Jedi and Sith "heroes" playable on the battlefield. Imagine taking control of Revan and fighting off the Mandalorians on Malachor V. Imagine actually participating in the Great War that games and novels only allude to.

As a fanboy it really bugs me as this series stands out as one of the greatest examples of a "series that could've been" in my mind. Maybe I am the only one here that feels that way.

Would anyone else like to see this epic series make comeback? If so, what would you like to see in it? What would you not like to see? All discussion is welcome.

• Like 3

Rumor has it that Free Radical misrepresented its ability to meet deadlines and milestones in bringing SWBF:III and SWBF:IV to the next gen consoles. This conflicted with the development of Haze, which was a year behind and a commercial failure. An anonymous source that was a former employee of Free Radical told GameSpot in an interview that the company just wasn't up to the task and was using funds from LucasArts to finish up Haze. An executive from Free Radical, Steve Eillis, actually responded to the criticism in stating that the game was almost finished and LucasArts was undergoing many difficulties in 2008 that led to the cancellation of SWBF:IV, and eventually SWBF:III. He also stated that the claim that Free Radical used recources from Battlefront's development to finish Haze were toally false.

I don't know what to believe for sure, but it sounded like the fans got short-changed in the end because of internal issues within Free Radical and LucasArts. As to why LucasArts hasn't picked up another developer to work on the new Battlefront is beyond me. Everyone that knows Star Wars knows that this would be an instant money-maker. The fact that these companies could not get their **** together to make a decent game is baffling and dissapointing to say the least.

• Like 2

That was really cool. The only thing I didn't like aboutnit is that the heroes, no matter what, always won. If you ever left thee game alone and let it play it's own course the villains would surely lose. I don't know if that was supposed to be some sort of moral statement from Pandemic or if the heroes were simply unbalanced.

I really don't know how the villains were lost considering they had Darth Maul. That guy was serious about his clone trooper killing. I don't think I ever not played with him and netted 60+ kills. The Wampa hunt mode was cool too.The only real complaint I had about Battlefront II was that they took out th 1st person view in vehicles they had in the first game. I will never understand that.

Some of my favorite memories of playing the first one involve sitting in the head of an AT-AT on Hoth with your co-pilot and watching everyone around you run around like ants while you feel untouchable. At least until some stupid rebels kill you by tripping the AT-AT.

Speaking of rebels. Did anyone else notice that when a rebel killed you they would just keep shooting at your dead body? Weird, right?

• Like 1

@Fleshbeck lol I noticed that too,

Any of you guys remember the names rebels called the empire? Those were hilarious I remember playing through the campaign with my friend just :rofl: -ing lol, ah those were the days. I hope we get some kind of SWBF game on the new platforms, I'm looking at you Disney

"I'm taking you down plastic boy!"

I liked how the Droids would always say "Roger, Roger" after every sentence. I was always a big fan of giving orders to my underlings and rolling around with a crew. THAT was awesome.

What was your favorite class go play as guys? I have always valued mobility, so I would generally use Infantry. But my favorite class bar none was the Jet Trooper. He was always the epitome of cool in that game.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, but from what I undertand it is highly unlikely. I think we have a higher chance of seeing a Republic Commandos II than a BFIII, which wouldn't be a bad thing in my mind either. Yeah, Republic Commandos had issues but I think if they polished the multiplayer a lot more they could have had a solid single and multiplayer game. I will always remember how awesome the AI was in that game, between the enemies and how cool it was when a Super Battle Droid knocked one of its lesser allies out of the way to get to you, or the excellent squad dynamic your team had.

Sev was awesome.

I would love to see this series come back.

Not only do I love this game, but I adore It.

I used to play this game for hours with my older brother and my cousins.

This particular game was my childhood.

It was the game that brought me Into this great universe.