Should the UNSC have laser and Plasma weapons ?

vStealthYx

well I'm fed-up of it , halo 4 is set in 2558 or something like that and I'm angry that we have spaceships but where still using projectile weapons and after beating the covies you would think that we should get plasma and laser weapons because in my personal opinion i would like to have them.

What do you people think ?

No. The UNSC has not been able to reverse engineer covenant weaponry, when they crack the case open, it is a mystery how they work. The UNSC has a specific style and it should stay that way, they are known in halo as the bullets while aliens are known for laser/Hardlight. If more games are set in late 2500s/2600s then yes but not now.

• Like 1

Yeah ballistic weapons are pretty questionable if you ask me. The only upgrade from today is that they never jam, compared to 550 years ago today that is a horrible advancement.

The UNSC also has the Spartan Laser, so it isn't like they don't know how to make a laser.

I wouldn't mind if the UNSC equipped themselves with laser technology.

No, 'cuz there would have to be some tampering with the story line to make that happen. I don't think the UNSC have the economical side strong enough to support laser or plasma weapons. They barely got the Spartan Laser and the Rail Gun, plus you barely see any infantry using them. Also, it would be like asking for the covenant and the fore-runner to have ballistic weapons.

What do you people think ?

I think we're talking about a world where the 'marines' are no more advanced than modern day standard infantry in terms of armour, tactics or weaponry. The Halo universe is not a believable setting if you start from the premise that they are 500 years more advanced than we are and that is true for weapons as well as most other things.

I think we're talking about a world where the 'marines' are no more advanced than modern day standard infantry in terms of armour, tactics or weaponry. The Halo universe is not a believable setting if you start from the premise that they are 500 years more advanced than we are and that is true for weapons as well as most other things.

The UNSC's projectile technology has advanced more than you've realised, In the prologue of Contact Harvest, the Insurectionists used modern day SMG's and the bullets practically bounced off of Johnson's body armor, showing that projectile technology has advanced by a lot.

Maybe try this thought on for size. Being that this is a science fiction based game and that it is a given in many sci-fi based story lines that projectile based weapons work well against alien based life forms. An example would be Star Gate 1, SG1. Even though alien life forms have advanced weaponry, no "cannon' exists for the whole of science fiction. The game originally came with weapons based off of actual weapons used in today's armies, minus the shoulder fired laser.

By comparison to your OP you could also ask why we are not fighting with remote operated androids, or why the Chief's armor has to weigh so much figuring the advancements made by this time period. This is the beauty of fiction, it is what the author of it creates.

• Like 1

Don't forget, UNSC has M99 Stanchion GUASS rifle and GUASS cannon and a Railgun. All of which operate similarly and all of which do not exist today. MAC/ Super MAC is a gigantic Railgun. Mass Drivers as well. Those are all examples of futuristic UNSC weaponry that has been forgotten without mentioning the Splaser.

Love how Contact Harvest explains UNSC warships as "A giant Railgun with engines" it fits the bill perfectly.

Oh, and vehicles which carry unlimited ammo and fuel. We don't have them.

And HUGE *** SPACESHIPS AND ORBITAL STATIONS, THEY'RE FUTURISTIC!

The reason the covenant didnt win the war is because (like it says in the books) they are "adaptive not innovative" so thats why the humans were able to improve the shield tech and stuff. And that means the covenant was stuck with the tech they could find.

Why change to expermiental technology over the tried and true?

Although I do question why the UNSC uses an inferior tank design to Real world tanks.

The Scorpion is the equal of a WWII experiment tank.

Perhaps it's design is more economical and easier to create bigger production.

Humanity have always developed counter weapon tech, so IMHO the UNSC would have developed more powerful SA KE rounds to deal more effectively with any Covie personal sheilding, Brutes etc, then the current UNSC ammo can. Small arm, weapon and ammunition development would not stagnate, especialy in the dire situation was humanity was in in the HALO universe, if anything IMHO it would have increased.

Regards, John.

Well considering that the first guns were ballistic weapons and we still use the same basic principle today i have to say I would not be surprised to see tham in 500 yrs.

Its only if armour became too strong for such a gun type that it would need to evolve and in the Halo universe the armour is not too strong. They were also deadly at killing flood!!

Also improved ammunition for a ballistic weapon is like a whole new weapon in its own right. I guess thats where their focus lay.