MLG won't be coming back..

Overdriive_on_Xbl

MLG has not, and never will be able to claim anything along the lines of "shaping" a franchise. Halo existed long before MLG, and it will continue to do so. All MLG basically did, was setup shop and capitalise on competetion that already existed. MLG has in no way ever contributed directly to any titles success. That is the job of the developers. In a fairy tale world, it is quite easy to assume that because MLG initially endorsed Halo 4, that it somehow boosted pre-order numbers. If that WAS the case, then Halo 4 would have been on top of the sales game, and not CoD.

Again, MLG like to exploit people to make a profit...that's what a business does at it's heart. They can preach and cry about how they support nothing but the gamer, and care about video games E-Sport, blah blah blha. They are all full of ****. They just want your money and your time, so in the end you rely on them for competative gameplay. hate to break it to you, but again, competative video game playing starts with YOU! Not some silly *** company.

• Like 4

MLG has not, and never will be able to claim anything along the lines of "shaping" a franchise. Halo existed long before MLG, and it will continue to do so. All MLG basically did, was setup shop and capitalise on competetion that already existed. MLG has in no way ever contributed directly to any titles success. That is the job of the developers. In a fairy tale world, it is quite easy to assume that because MLG initially endorsed Halo 4, that it somehow boosted pre-order numbers. If that WAS the case, then Halo 4 would have been on top of the sales game, and not CoD.

Again, MLG like to exploit people to make a profit...that's what a business does at it's heart. They can preach and cry about how they support nothing but the gamer, and care about video games E-Sport, blah blah blha. They are all full of ****. They just want your money and your time, so in the end you rely on them for competative gameplay. hate to break it to you, but again, competative video game playing starts with YOU! Not some silly *** company.

MLG didn't shape a franchise, but it did bring to our eyes the idea that you can win some serious $$ from competitively playing games. MLG had SSBM tournaments and other games but the game with the biggest cash prizes was Halo 2 and 3. So myself, along with other competitors who happened to play Halo started playing MLG. MLG probably did not add a huge amount of sales numbers as you said, but it clearly put Halo onto a bigger stage. Tsquared got sponsored by Dr. Pepper and was on major TV networks because he was known as a professional Halo gamer.

You also say competitive gaming starts with you which is true, but you need a tournament to compete in. Without MLG tournaments, and with the path VG has started on (whoever plays the most wins a jeep), professional gaming is heading south.

• Like 1

Professional gaming was a fad. It was a sad attempt for those with no decernable skill in the Real world, to feel like winners. I eman seriously...could you imagine an economy and culture that praises professional gamers like they are serious contributers to society or the world stage? All MLG encourages is people to laze around and play games...but it's ok...cause if you play really good, you don't need studies or friends or sunlight...can you make a little pocket change in the end. Pocket change is exactly what it is. How much in taxes and costs does on pay to compete in MLG? Room and board aint free, travel expenses are not covered or free. Time away from family and lack of freinds is bad. TV time has got be a joke on this one. I don't recall seeing any commercials with this guy on any major network channel or even now. So what happened to him? The number of actual hardcore gamers to normal standard human, makes his reconition no greater than a child who won a local spelling bee. That's not fame....that's trying desperatly to be accepted and gain fame.

Yes, I hate MLG and I hate what they have turned the gaming community into. They have literally pitted us against eachother over competative gaming, and have done nothing more than even further feed the "trash talking" problem that is already way out of hand. I hope they burn for all eternity...

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ov3LR7yBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlJLMzReG00

http://www.syracuse....squared_ta.html

ESPN First take and MTV true life.I believe he retired from professional gaming because Halo Reach was pretty bad for MLG and now its gone in Halo 4.

And no its not a fad, its HUGE for other games now like Starcraft 2 and League of Legends

You are right about spending a while bunch of time practicing, but professional athletes spend the same amount of time traveling with their teams and practicing. Lets say you practice 8 hours a day you can still have a normal life. Again there arent that many sponsored MLG gamers but they do get paid pretty well. Tsquared was the top of the money making gamers, but he was paid very well.

• Like 1

Well, you're right about that (unless 343i pressures Microsoft to somehow break there contract with VG - Virgin Gaming). From my understanding, Microsoft is only promoting Virgin Gaming as the premier tournament venue for Halo 4, nobody else. This doesn't mean that they are the only ones who can run Halo 4 tournaments, it only means that they get 100% of exposure from Microsoft. MLG doesn't want to compete with that (without any support from Microsoft) and I think that's why they dropped the game.

I've also been hearing about a contract that Microsoft has signed with VG, making sure that VG are the only ones who can handle the competitive side of Halo. I'm not too sure whether this has been confirmed or not, so I won't try to elaborate on it.

Anyways, I think that Halo is the staple of FPS competitive gaming, but I understand how MLG is a business now, and needs to do what is best for the company as a whole. On a bright note, 343i and VG have shown interest in doing a collaborative tournament with MLG and many other leagues have started to pick up Halo 4.

I wish my favourite game the best for its future!

-MaGIIXz

The mere fact MLG even EXISTS is beyond sad. As if it's the NBA or some other equally ridiculous organization.

Halo isn't a SPORT. It isn't a JOB. And it WILL survive without MLG...and probably do a lot better as a result, honestly.

You aren't special. Get over it and play the game like a normal person. Or, get off your *** and go play a real sport (where you can similarly be idolized by a select group of like-minded individuals for contributing absolutely nothing of value to society). At least in that scenario you have the opportunity to "earn" millions of dollars.

*Glorious, "casual" days ahead*. :)

The mere fact MLG even EXISTS is beyond sad. As if it's the NBA or some other equally ridiculous organization.

Halo isn't a SPORT. It isn't a JOB. And it WILL survive without MLG...and probably do a lot better as a result, honestly.

You aren't special. Get over it and play the game like a normal person. Or, get off your *** and go play a real sport (where you can similarly be idolized by a select group of like-minded individuals for contributing absolutely nothing of value to society). At least in that scenario you have the opportunity to "earn" millions of dollars.

Your simply incorrect by saying Halo will do better without MLG. That is moronic. Fine you want no competition this is how it would work:

Lets all jump for joy with flowers and butterflies in CasualLand!!!! In CasualLand, if one team wins, the other team gets to win the next game. That way its fair for everyone!!!

But seriously, what is the point of a game if you aren't trying to win? Sure if your enjoying a board game with some friends you don't have to be in full on competition mode, but you are still trying to win.

• Like 1

Your simply incorrect by saying Halo will do better without MLG. That is moronic. Fine you want no competition this is how it would work:

Lets all jump for joy with flowers and butterflies in CasualLand!!!! In CasualLand, if one team wins, the other team gets to win the next game. That way its fair for everyone!!!

But seriously, what is the point of a game if you aren't trying to win? Sure if your enjoying a board game with some friends you don't have to be in full on competition mode, but you are still trying to win.

You can be a casual player and still try to win. Hardcore is not synonomous with trying to win

To say otherwise is "moronic".

Holy Christ you people have an inflated ego. CasualLand? Oh my god, as if casuals are soooo retarded, lacking in skill, or otherwise incapable of playing to win.

Casuals play to win like everyone else. The difference is, when we lose, we don't cry foul, and we don't flood the forums with "Halo needs this..." or "HALO IS DYING...", and we don't ***** to thr developers about what a ****ty game they've made simply because it's not like a live military simulation. Want that? Go join the Marines.

We simply laugh at the fun we had, boot up another game, and have at it. We also don't treat the game like an olympic sport. And we tend to stop playing after around 6-10 games a day or two...instead of 300 per week.

Halo will do better without MLG. I'm 99.9% positive of that...mainly because short-sighted try-hards such as yourself will finally take a hike.

Give it a rest, pal.

• Like 3

Halo will do better without MLG. I'm 99.9% positive of that...mainly because short-sighted try-hards such as yourself will finally take a hike.

Because its doing so well right now without it...

Look man, I play for fun too and goof around. If you want to do that all the time then go ahead. Saying that competitive gaming is bad for Halo isnt true. You can play social playlists while people who want to try and win will play competitive playlists. If you haven't noticed, Halo Reach and Halo 4 have significantly less populations than Halo 2 and 3 because there arent ranking systems.

By saying Halo will do better without MLG is your idea of making the game suited to only casual players. Sure they'll sell copies because they'll hype up the community just like they did for Halo 4, get everyone to buy it, only to be utterly dissappointed. If thats your definition of "better" than yes, you are correct.

i seem to notice most people who hate mlg are people who are really bad at the game and not dedicated to it. When i was bad i used to dislike mlg but then i played more and enjoyed there settings. for someone to say this game will do better without mlg is like saying I'm Not a great player at this game i'm glad we can all just play play play with no incentive. you say casuals wanna win? hmmm lets look at halo 4 casual everywhere. How many people a game have mics in to call out to "win"? But anyways no one can lie halo 4 is declining. Rapidly Don't be blind by that now.

Because its doing so well right now without it...

Look man, I play for fun too and goof around. If you want to do that all the time then go ahead. Saying that competitive gaming is bad for Halo isnt true. You can play social playlists while people who want to try and win will play competitive playlists. If you haven't noticed, Halo Reach and Halo 4 have significantly less populations than Halo 2 and 3 because there arent ranking systems.

By saying Halo will do better without MLG is your idea of making the game suited to only casual players. Sure they'll sell copies because they'll hype up the community just like they did for Halo 4, get everyone to buy it, only to be utterly dissappointed. If thats your definition of "better" than yes, you are correct.

Im a girl, btw, not a dude. ;)

Halo's population decline could be because of a number of things. To say it's about only a ranking system or MLG is rather ignorant and a big assumption. The competiton against Halo has grown since 2004 and 2007. I'd wager that has something more to do with the low population.

And btw, nothig is stopping you from playing the game like it's a sport (it's not tho) or a second job (also not true). You don't need a ranking system to show off, and gou don't need MLG to play competitively. JUST PLAY SUPER-DUPER HARD, like you normally do. Geez...

Also, again, casual does not equal "goofing" retards. We play to win just like everyone else. *rolls eyes*

i seem to notice most people who hate mlg are people who are really bad at the game and not dedicated to it. When i was bad i used to dislike mlg but then i played more and enjoyed there settings. for someone to say this game will do better without mlg is like saying I'm Not a great player at this game i'm glad we can all just play play play with no incentive. you say casuals wanna win? hmmm lets look at halo 4 casual everywhere. How many people a game have mics in to call out to "win"? But anyways no one can lie halo 4 is declining. Rapidly Don't be blind by that now.

So casuals aren't outfitted with mics and don't know all the call outs. Whoopdie ******* doo!

Jesus Christ you people just love the smell of your own farts. Get a life. It's a game. Play a couple matches, do your best, and turn the ******* thing off. Playing Halo like you're in a ******* military squad is ******* retarded. Go join the military if that's what you're after, or join a REAL SPORT if you're looking for adoration and big bucks.

Sad.

• Like 3

why are you so upset what i find funny is if i remenber well you wanted a "spray and pray playlist" now that is not a playlist i liked but i would support it if it was out i wont be ignorant and because i don't like it shut it down because everyone plays there own thing i fail to see why your typing and replying if you don't plan to play this playlist.

Im a girl, btw, not a dude. ;)

Halo's population decline could be because of a number of things. To say it's about only a ranking system or MLG is rather ignorant and a big assumption. The competiton against Halo has grown since 2004 and 2007. I'd wager that has something more to do with the low population.

And btw, nothig is stopping you from playing the game like it's a sport (it's not tho) or a second job (also not true). You don't need a ranking system to show off, and gou don't need MLG to play competitively. JUST PLAY SUPER-DUPER HARD, like you normally do. Geez...

Also, again, casual does not equal "goofing" retards. We play to win just like everyone else. *rolls eyes*

Sorry about the dude thing :blushing:

I dont need a ranking system to show off, but I need it to play for something. If you've ever played in a sports league, your goal is to win the championship. Just like a MLG players goal is to win the National Championship, I have lowered my standards a bit and wish to get a 50 in a few playlists.

Without a ranking system, there is no reason to try really hard because there are no ramifications of winning or losing, you are going to get EXP either way. This promotes less teamwork because everyone is just trying to get as many kills as possible. Months ago on this forum, there were many topics about why a ranking system is better for the game. You should check them out.

why are you so upset what i find funny is if i remenber well you wanted a "spray and pray playlist" now that is not a playlist i liked but i would support it if it was out i wont be ignorant and because i don't like it shut it down because everyone plays there own thing i fail to see why your typing and replying if you don't plan to play this playlist.

My reply wasn't directed at the MLG playlist. More the MLG organization, mindset, and players dedicated to Halo as if it were their God. I apologize, maybe I didn't make that clear.

I brought up the spray and pray playlist because I felt that if MLG players could whine and complain for their own playlist (while denoucing everyone else as "AR noobs"), then why couldn't the "noobs" have their own playlist, dedicated to their own playstyle.

I'm a little ticked off because any time someone disagrees with a supposed MLG fan, they're made out to be "bad players" who "don't understand the game" or its history. That simply isn't true. I've been playing since CE, and I can remember very clearly that I didn't NEED the incentive of ranks to to boot up my xbox and play some halo on Blood Gulch or Hang 'Em High. I played, trying to win, but even if I didn't, I had a blast playing. I didn't throw a *****-fit and claim the game was "too casual" or "noob-friendly", and I didn't

make a dozen threads on the internet crying for changes to be made.

Listen, if you're this invested in Halo, where you play 300 games a week, you're just sad. If every game takes, say, 10 mins, and you're playing 300 a week, that's 50 hours a week of Halo, or about 7 hours a day. Which means you probably don't have a real job (PT at BK while going to school doesn't count), and are probably too young to realize Halo, and competition in general, isn't everything.

You've got a lot of growing up to do, but it'll happen eventually. And when it does, you'll realize just how silly all this "MLG" **** really is, and just how wrong it was to demean others as "casual bad kids".

That's all I'll say on the matter, and I'll leave you to your hardcore thread.

Sorry about the dude thing :blushing:

I dont need a ranking system to show off, but I need it to play for something. If you've ever played in a sports league, your goal is to win the championship. Just like a MLG players goal is to win the National Championship, I have lowered my standards a bit and wish to get a 50 in a few playlists.

Without a ranking system, there is no reason to try really hard because there are no ramifications of winning or losing, you are going to get EXP either way. This promotes less teamwork because everyone is just trying to get as many kills as possible. Months ago on this forum, there were many topics about why a ranking system is better for the game. You should check them out.

You could always try hard for the sheer satisfaction of "winning". Maybe the losing team will get XP too, but so what. You won. You beat them out and snatched away their victory. Is that not incentive enough?

Bah! Like I said, I'm done with this. I've said my peace.

And it's cool. I didn't mind the dude thing. I just like watching boys squirm once in a while. :P

• Like 3

Mlg has a mindset? pretty sure 99 percent of people here are not MLG so there is no Mindset.

" brought up the spray and pray playlist because I felt that if MLG players could whine and complain for their own playlist (while denoucing everyone else as "AR noobs"), then why couldn't the "noobs" have their own playlist, dedicated to their own playstyle."

so you only suggested a idea because you were jealous of another playlist that might possibly come out? I'm sorry But to me i feel the Ar is a luck based weapon which does not take as much skill when i see my cusin pick up the game get 30 kills with it makes me wonder but thats my opionon that shouldn't bug you.

"Listen, if you're this invested in Halo, where you play 300 games a week, you're just sad. If every game takes, say, 10 mins, and you're playing 300 a week, that's 50 hours a week of Halo, or about 7 hours a day. Which means you probably don't have a real job (PT at BK while going to school doesn't count), and are probably too young to realize Halo, and competition in general, isn't everything."

your also spending time on your xbox so i could just as well say the same about you madam. what about sports? someone spents 5-6 hours a day at say football pratice they don't have a life?

You've got a lot of growing up to do, but it'll happen eventually. And when it does, you'll realize just how silly all this "MLG" **** really is, and just how wrong it was to demean others as "casual bad kids".

judging by your post i don't think i have any growing up to do this is a forum your letting words get under your skin. Demean? casuals have there own playlist so they get what they want atleast you have fun playlist you can enjoy but the average competitive player has little to none on halo 4 you should be thankfull halo 4 has catered to you.

Mlg has a mindset? pretty sure 99 percent of people here are not MLG so there is no Mindset.

" brought up the spray and pray playlist because I felt that if MLG players could whine and complain for their own playlist (while denoucing everyone else as "AR noobs"), then why couldn't the "noobs" have their own playlist, dedicated to their own playstyle."

so you only suggested a idea because you were jealous of another playlist that might possibly come out? I'm sorry But to me i feel the Ar is a luck based weapon which does not take as much skill when i see my cusin pick up the game get 30 kills with it makes me wonder but thats my opionon that shouldn't bug you.

"Listen, if you're this invested in Halo, where you play 300 games a week, you're just sad. If every game takes, say, 10 mins, and you're playing 300 a week, that's 50 hours a week of Halo, or about 7 hours a day. Which means you probably don't have a real job (PT at BK while going to school doesn't count), and are probably too young to realize Halo, and competition in general, isn't everything."

your also spending time on your xbox so i could just as well say the same about you madam. what about sports? someone spents 5-6 hours a day at say football pratice they don't have a life?

judging by your post i don't think i have any growing up to do this is a forum your letting words get under your skin. Demean? casuals have there own playlist so they get what they want atleast you have fun playlist you can enjoy but the average competitive player has little to none on halo 4 you should be thankfull halo 4 has catered to you.

Christ you're dumb.

I feel like I need to start a petition to revamp the public school system, because it is CLEARLY failing our youths.

Goodbye.

• Like 1

What´s the big deal about MLG? Who cares when they are gone. Virgin can do much more for the Halo community I think.

I agree. There should be competition to MLG. MLG shouldn't have this much attention... I mean, not that it's anything out of the ordinary.

What´s the big deal about MLG? Who cares when they are gone. Virgin can do much more for the Halo community I think.

MLG has been around for a while and the people who played it felt like they represented the competitive community well. I have no problem with another organization taking over as long as they do make tournaments based on skill.

Vigin's first tournament was on time played which I find annoying because I know most people do not have the time to play 24/7. Only way you could even compete is having multiple people playing on that account.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It may be the end of Halo MLG but it's not the end of competitive Halo. Many other professional gaming leagues still have Halo tournaments. For instance, the Arena Gaming League just had a Halo tournament in Chicago. A tournament in which many of the former MLG Halo players attended and participated in.

• Like 1

Professional gaming was a fad. It was a sad attempt for those with no decernable skill in the Real world, to feel like winners. I eman seriously...could you imagine an economy and culture that praises professional gamers like they are serious contributers to society or the world stage? All MLG encourages is people to laze around and play games...but it's ok...cause if you play really good, you don't need studies or friends or sunlight...can you make a little pocket change in the end. Pocket change is exactly what it is. How much in taxes and costs does on pay to compete in MLG? Room and board aint free, travel expenses are not covered or free. Time away from family and lack of freinds is bad. TV time has got be a joke on this one. I don't recall seeing any commercials with this guy on any major network channel or even now. So what happened to him? The number of actual hardcore gamers to normal standard human, makes his reconition no greater than a child who won a local spelling bee. That's not fame....that's trying desperatly to be accepted and gain fame.

Yes, I hate MLG and I hate what they have turned the gaming community into. They have literally pitted us against eachother over competative gaming, and have done nothing more than even further feed the "trash talking" problem that is already way out of hand. I hope they burn for all eternity...

And that used to be the thinking of folks who criticized golf or darts or bowling .... hmmm

• Like 1

Its sad to see that MLG has no place in Halo anymore or visa versa but it became of less than secondary importance, the interest in MLG from the wider community has faded and those who play MLG have become ever more engrossed in their own self importance.

Its a pity that these flaws combine to bring an end to what was in its time a good thing, but it had become more obvious that this was on the way as games and their audience change.

Well goodbye MLG, you meant nothing to me but at least I can appreciate what it meant to others. Still the MLG community should take their heads out from between their legs and realise they are just gamers like everyone else, self granted self glorifying titles do not make you more important!!!!

NOTE: edited to correct spelling lol.;.