Living in the future

Admiral Ackbar

So not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I had a revelation this morning. I've been rereading a book series by Orson Scott Card. The series is the Ender Series. The first book came out in 1985. the book takes place in the future, and they have all these new technological devices. A key device is referred to as a "desk". The desk is essentially a portable computer, similar to a laptop but smaller. Sounds a lot like a tablet...

Basically the point of this thread is to say how cool it is to see these new advances in technology. People used to dream of things like this, and now those dreams are reality. Over 25 years ago an author of a book described something that was purely science fiction. And now that dream is a reality.

This post was actually typed on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2, it's pretty cool how technology has advanced. Also please forgive any typos or grammatical errors. I don't usually type things like this on my tablet.

• Like 3

New technology is always emerging, and it's all we can do to keep up with it. I recently got an iPod touch 5th gen, and now Apple is going to release something within 3 months that will outdate my device. Life goes on, tech improves. Much of science fiction written in the past 30 years is actually a pretty fair prediction of what we can do with tech nowadays. This is a link to an article about a new robot that is being built, that will supposedly be sentient as it will learn everything just like a human baby: http://www.gizmag.com/roboy/25571/ . New tech is now, and we can either embrace it or defy it.

• Like 1

But it is pretty funny that people in 1975 thought flying cars would be standard by 2015. We're about to start 2013, and we're not even close yet.

EDIT: I should revise that statement, we are developing the technology for them, they just aren't close at all to becoming standard for all automobiles.

Well, Captain Kirk used the first Cell phone, so star trek has a decent track record for predictions.

I'm waiting for Virtual Reality that doesn't suck...

I heard that we're actually not too far off from virtual reality gaming. We may see it as early as 2025, although most of us that use these forums will probably not be gaming much by then.