My thoughts on the Boltshot.

mazzulmaz

First, please keep it civil as I've seen way to many Boltshot threads erupt into a flamewar :)

First of all, let me make a point. I do not want to see the Boltshot GONE. It's a nice third pistol they introduced and needs to stay if they want to keep the loadout system intact. I DO however, find it a little OP as it is now, so I will try to counter most arguments about why the boltshot is not OP.

- The OHK range is just outside melee range.

This is simply not true. I use the Boltshot a lot because of it's incredible effectiveness and I've one-shotted people from well beyond melee range. People who say that you need a very good aim for it, I disagree with. I personally have no problem placing the full reticule over my target.

- It makes a loud and distinctive sound when it charges.

It may be distinctive, but in my experience, it's definitely not loud. Maybe you need a headset for it. I dunno.

- When you miss, you're dead.

Well, this is mostly true, but isn't that the same with the Hammer, Sword, and sometimes even the Shotgun?

- It depletes half your clip.

So what the single fire mode sucks anyways

Let me give a few examples:

Running around on Adrift, my weapons are a Carbine and an Energy Sword. I see someone popping up on the radar, so I switch to my sword and sprint around the corner, only to get hit by a charged boltshot. How is it far that he killed me with a weapon that he simply got instantly when he respawned, while I had to pick it up/get it in an ordnance drop.

Then, on Solace. I picked up a SAW, spot an enemy and start spraying him with bullets. He takes cover, but with his shields down and health already damaged, I move in for the kill, only to be killed in a single shot without being able to defend myself. I understand this if he would have a Scattershot, or Shotgun or whatever, but the fact that you can do this with a weapon you required off-spawn just doesn't seem right to me.

Feel free to argue and disagree, but please, keep it civil :)

• Like 2

Agree, all 1 shot weapons need to be in drops or map spawns. They were in every preceeding game, why change now?

This is the biggest reason for stating the boltshot is OP. I am sick of breaking a person's shield to have his only step 1 step back behind a well to step back out with a single shot bolt shot to kill me full shield.

The other counter to bolt should is to drastically reduce the motion sensor distance. If the person can't time the charge, the weapon starts to lose it's OP ability. You can see people almost the length of a hallway, if it was only 5-7 body lengths the person may not have the time to swap and charge.

*Just make it an map spawn or ordnance drop, FIXED*

I like the sound of you appearing on radar when charging but it may make it too easy to spot.

Personally I would do one of the following:

1. Shorten 1HK range to melee range.
  2. Exponentially decrease damage beyond this range i.e. outside 1HK 50% of shields, then little or no effect a bit further away.
  3. Make it a fixed charge/release time. Then it would actually require some skill.
  4. Increase weapons cool down time during which you cannot change weapon or refire.

Now not all of these need to be implemented just a few, the weapon keeps its use but becomes a little harder to use. This would keep its function (its ability to 1HK) yet stop it from owning say a shotty or sword unless the user is really good with it.

• Like 1

I think the boltshot is op as all hell. The major things that need to be changed about it are

1. Either take away the OHK capability OR take it out of the loadout option.

2. Using a charged shot empties the clip instead of just using half.

3. Instead of having the charge shot being timed, make it use more of your ammo like the PP. The longer you charge it the more ammo is used or the less effective it becomes.

I second showing up on radar

just got the idea of giving the retical itself some movement. you are, after all, holding ancient alien technology in your hand that's expending half it's payload in one burst

No, the game needs LESS randomness and luck based gameplay, NOT more!

First, please keep it civil as I've seen way to many Boltshot threads erupt into a flamewar :)

First of all, let me make a point. I do not want to see the Boltshot GONE. It's a nice third pistol they introduced and needs to stay if they want to keep the loadout system intact. I DO however, find it a little OP as it is now, so I will try to counter most arguments about why the boltshot is not OP.

- The OHK range is just outside melee range.

This is simply not true. I use the Boltshot a lot because of it's incredible effectiveness and I've one-shotted people from well beyond melee range. People who say that you need a very good aim for it, I disagree with. I personally have no problem placing the full reticule over my target.

- It makes a loud and distinctive sound when it charges.

It may be distinctive, but in my experience, it's definitely not loud. Maybe you need a headset for it. I dunno.

- When you miss, you're dead.

Well, this is mostly true, but isn't that the same with the Hammer, Sword, and sometimes even the Shotgun?

- It depletes half your clip.

So what the single fire mode sucks anyways

Let me give a few examples:

Running around on Adrift, my weapons are a Carbine and an Energy Sword. I see someone popping up on the radar, so I switch to my sword and sprint around the corner, only to get hit by a charged boltshot. How is it far that he killed me with a weapon that he simply got instantly when he respawned, while I had to pick it up/get it in an ordnance drop.

Then, on Solace. I picked up a SAW, spot an enemy and start spraying him with bullets. He takes cover, but with his shields down and health already damaged, I move in for the kill, only to be killed in a single shot without being able to defend myself. I understand this if he would have a Scattershot, or Shotgun or whatever, but the fact that you can do this with a weapon you required off-spawn just doesn't seem right to me.

Feel free to argue and disagree, but please, keep it civil :)

Why dont u just not come around the corner back up and keep spraying with ur saw, its not like theres some big mystery if the enemy has a bolshot. If u go around a corner and crouches dont follow him seems pretty obvious. U guys act like just cause u drop a shield u deserve the kill play smarter.

No timing required. If I am in a close quarters situation with guys on radar, I am constantly charging my boltshot and switching weapons until they happen to push the corner. It's not like people are running out in the open with the boltshot (although I do try to out boltshot people who have DMRs at times :P).

Expending the whole clip is not a big deal. I rock dexterity at all times. The boltshot reloads instantly. Everybody has a boltshot so I never run out of ammo either.

Wow, it does force you to shoot. Who doesn't know this already? Try to hold it long enough to get a guy across the map. I dare you.

So, the point about timing? It's already required. What they could do: Make it take the whole clip.

Done.

How do you have so many posts and still know nothing?

It DOES NOT require you to fire, there is a button called "swap weapon" that nullifies the firing action. That's is what everyone is referencing if you start the firing action it MUST BE COMPLETED. This would cause the player to drastically have less shots as they'd waste shots all the time. I don't know how many times I hear it charge and get null'ed out. Doesn't help it charges to the point of 1 shot kill, in a second...

No timing required. If I am in a close quarters situation with guys on radar, I am constantly charging my boltshot and switching weapons until they happen to push the corner. It's not like people are running out in the open with the boltshot (although I do try to out boltshot people who have DMRs at times :P).

Expending the whole clip is not a big deal. I rock dexterity at all times. The boltshot reloads instantly. Everybody has a boltshot so I never run out of ammo either.

Also with dexterity it increases weapon swapping time. It's as easy as double tapping Y. I don't complain about it though. I just use that and the DMR to the best of my ability. If using the best weapons is "noobish" then whatever.

People act like if thy do change things that people won't just migrate to the next powerhouse weapon. Lets say they 4 shot the BR. You think I won't be using that instead? It's a lost cause... All this crying about moderation.

Wanna know a GARAUNTEED way of beating those pesky BS users? PV and resupply. Just chuck a grenade at suspected hotspots and you're good. Be careful when clearing tight corridors... People act like its impossible to stand up against a BS. It's not... If you're having this much trouble taking out this then I feel bad for you...

People act like if thy do change things that people won't just migrate to the next powerhouse weapon. Lets say they 4 shot the BR. You think I won't be using that instead? It's a lost cause... All this crying about moderation.

That point is invalid, they've already stated the BR, will NEVER be a 4 shot as the bullet spreed leaves to much inconsistency. The same range could drop a stationary player at random intervals and this would cause more problems then it;s worth.

The reason people demand the Boltshot is fixed is because the weapon is a SPAWNING secondary, which is stronger then the majority of the ordinance drops.

That point is invalid, they've already stated the BR, will NEVER be a 4 shot as the bullet spreed leaves to much inconsistency. The same range could drop a stationary player at random intervals and this would cause more problems then it;s worth.

The reason people demand the Boltshot is fixed is because the weapon is a SPAWNING secondary, which is stronger then the majority of the ordinance drops.

Eh... I still think the scattershot is still more satisfying to vaporize people with in terms of shotguns or handcannons. It's like a miniature composer. Winning.

Eh... I still think the scattershot is still more satisfying to vaporize people with in terms of shotguns or handcannons. It's like a miniature composer. Winning.

I still pick it up, but I know I have to be POINT BLANK for it to be a 1 shot, which it how 1 shot weapons should work.

good lord is this really such an issue? this of all things is just unnecessary complaint. the bolt shot is NOT over powered, period. timing IS difficult. it DOES leave you open to death if you miss. it DOES require very near point blank range. and best of all it shouts out "hey ima a motha flippin bolt shot charging up so get back beechezzzzz!" lol. so please, can we not complain about a very well balanced weapon? o.O

fact: bolt shot only 1 hits you when you deserve to be 1 hit by it.

good lord is this really such an issue? this of all things is just unnecessary complaint. the bolt shot is NOT over powered, period. timing IS difficult. it DOES leave you open to death if you miss. it DOES require very near point blank range. and best of all it shouts out "hey ima a motha flippin bolt shot charging up so get back beechezzzzz!" lol. so please, can we not complain about a very well balanced weapon? o.O

fact: bolt shot only 1 hits you when you deserve to be 1 hit by it.

LOL, I love trolls

"When you hear it charge" it takes less than a second to charge to the point of a single shot. And if you are honestly defending this, you're a moron. That is all

1. timing IS difficult,

***If you time it wrong YY and you can instantly recharge it (NOT HARD)

2. it DOES leave you open to death if you miss

***Same as above, YY after you miss it instat charges

3. it DOES require very near point blank range

***What game are you playing? It kills at 7 body withs, of better yet 3 times the melee distance

3. You can hear it,

***by the time you hear it you're dead

average response time of a human being is like what 0.2-0.3 seconds? yes it takes a full second to charge, which gives you plenty of time to react and back off from its VERY short range of kill threat, your opponent then being a pretty easy target.

if you take more than a second to respond to the obvious sound it makes, i have news for you :P