MLG should work around Social players. Not Visa Versa.

Baeztoberfest

I'm so tired of reading all these threads about NERF THIS or BUFF THAT. Everyone wants a ranking system and a little 1-50 next to their names... Nobody is happy with the maps, they all want The Pit or Midship.

Look. I'll be the first to admit that Halo 3 was a good game. But if you want to play THAT so badly go buy the platinum hit and quit talking trash about how more people are playing Halo Reach than Halo 4!

Even if it was statistically true it doesn't matter. Not every gamer wants to be MLG boss and wreck everyone with a 4/1 KD. Some of us play the game to enjoy the cool stuff that happens along the way, the way video games were intended to be. Not measuring virtual dicks.

If you DO want to play competitively however maybe they should have an MLG playlist so you can go there. I'm not against the idea of MLG and competitive multiplayer. I AM HOWEVER against changing all the game dynamics to suit one crowd of people. That's just selfish and asenine. I'm not a game developer and chances are you're not either. So be glad we have a sequel and either play or don't.

It's not about being a fanboy, and it's not about being social or MLG. It's about playing a freaking VIDEO GAME the way they are meant to be played. It's supposed to be entertaining and something you can always pick up. Good replay value with a mix of different customizable play styles making each gamers experience unique and something they will want to play again.

I think since this is 343i's first game that they accomplished this. IGN gave them a rating of 9.8. I may not be the Halo fan I was 11 years ago but c'mon MLG and community forum... Don't you think you're taking it a LITTLE too far with all these outrageous competitive tweaks you want??? I'm not trying to argue and before you reply really THINK about what it is I'm saying...

Sorry it's so lengthy. Just had to get that off my chest and see if ANYONE else agrees.

• Like 1

If you've been a fan for 11 years, you must understand why MLG must have itss own set of game options, the biggest being radar. The only way a better player can honestly manhandle another person without a massive crutch is removing radar (PERIOD). I have been playing CE since day one and the first setting me and my friends all learned was to TURN OFF MOTION TRACKER!

It trains and teaches you to play a game like a radar ***** and you don't learn how to out play people.

I can think of only three things MLG really needs to change.

1. No radar or motion tracker

2. Bolt shot nerfed, gone or becomes an ordinary drop (map drop)

3. Inviz would have to be removed as an option

I agree.

I often find the fans of a thing can make you resent that thing so much more than it deserves (Anime, for example, can be good, but when you meet its biggest fans you start to hate it).

I actually like MLG, I love how carefully they analyze the game and the information they produce (I'd do something similar if I was being paid to play video games). The trouble is the MLG fanboys who make it impossible to have a discussion without suffering an assault of BS from morons. I told some once that MLG was all about making the game faster and more consistent, which is their stated goal in most of their tweaks to the game, and they argued with me and told me I didn't know what I was talking about! Talent at a game does not make you directly knowledgable at a game, although it does assist you, it does not make you an authority.

It was baffling, all I was doing was restating what MLG had themselves stated, and their fanboys argued because in their minds MLG was out to make the game better and more fun and that was all. Competitive players, and the competitive community, tend to look at the game through a very narrow lens. This is what they have to do to win, so I understand, but they are by no means MOST of the community and their stripped down versions of the game are by no means THE BEST of the game. They have a long history of excluding MOST of what the game has to offer, for reasons that make sense to their purpose, but when you do that you don't get to write policy for everyone else.

• Like 1

If you've been a fan for 11 years, you must understand why MLG must have itss own set of game options, the biggest being radar. The only way a better player can honestly manhandle another person without a massive crutch is removing radar (PERIOD). I have been playing CE since day one and the first setting me and my friends all learned was to TURN OFF MOTION TRACKER!

It trains and teaches you to play a game like a radar ***** and you don't learn how to out play people.

We know... he's offering viable options like having an MLG playlist with these tweaks. But if they were to outright change the weapon stats and nerf/buff a million things for the MLG community, yet still implement it in every gametype that's out there (which is what a lot of people are asking for) it would ruin the game for casual players.

• Like 1

We know... he's offering viable options like having an MLG playlist with these tweaks. But if they were to outright change the weapon stats and nerf/buff a million things for the MLG community, yet still implement it in every gametype that's out there (which is what a lot of people are asking for) it would ruin the game for casual players.

You sir get a +1 from me in agreement.

dont rearly on techolgy machines are easy to break... kurt ghosts of onex

epic spech i use it but dont rearly on it i realy on myself not techolgy i rearly soley on skill in halo 4

Translation:

I dont really know about technology. Machines are easy to break. Kurt Ghosts of Onyx...

It is an epic speech and I use it often but I dont rely on it myself. I rely solely on skill in Halo 4, not technology.

End translation.

I hope I did that right. But who knows. That being said I think he is in favor of MLG requests being implemented into Halo 4 playlists.

• Like 2

dont rearly on techolgy machines are easy to break... kurt ghosts of onex

epic spech i use it but dont rearly on it i realy on myself not techolgy i rearly soley on skill in halo 4

Ahem I'll translate.

Don't rely on technology. Machines are easy to break.

-Kurt, Ghosts of Onyx

Epic speech. I use it, but I don't rely on it. I rely on myself, not technology. I rely solely on skill in Halo 4.

That being said after translating I have no idea what that's had to do with this thread.

Translation:

I dont really know about technology. Machines are easy to break. Kurt Ghosts of Onyx...

It is an epic speech and I use it often but I dont rely on it myself. I rely solely on skill in Halo 4, not technology.

End translation.

I hope I did that right. But who knows. That being said I think he is in favor of MLG requests being implemented into Halo 4 playlists.

Ah someone beat me to translating that Charlie Foxtrot. Lol.

But back on topic yes. That's what I was saying. That MLG's purpose has always been an elite few who play games competitevly not redesign games tailored to their preferences.

As is? I agree radar and other things would have to go. But yes, again that's what I was getting at. A playlist with these tweaks, not changing the entire game like oh so many threads are rampantly suggesting.

Ahem I'll translate.

Don't rely on technology. Machines are easy to break.

-Kurt, Ghosts of Onyx

Epic speech. I use it, but I don't rely on it. I rely on myself, not technology. I rely solely on skill in Halo 4.

That being said after translating I have no idea what that's had to do with this thread.

Ah someone beat me to translating that Charlie Foxtrot. Lol.

But back on topic yes. That's what I was saying. That MLG's purpose has always been an elite few who play games competitevly not redesign games tailored to their preferences.

As is? I agree radar and other things would have to go. But yes, again that's what I was getting at. A playlist with these tweaks, not changing the entire game like oh so many threads are rampantly suggesting.

Better translation. I was too lazy to go looking up the quote in Ghosts of Onyx.

But I think he was supporting the idea of MLG in Halo 4.

Herp derp well maybe if this failed company 343 made it so you can accutaly make a legit gametype and edit things this wouldn't be a problem Not force us to play with instant respawn and such.

You dont have to press X to respawn you know.. That way it goes to a timer...

Herp derp well maybe if this failed company 343 made it so you can accutaly make a legit gametype and edit things this wouldn't be a problem Not force us to play with instant respawn and such.

But see there ya go... Now you're changing game dynamics to suit your own agendas. Instead of playing the game for what it is. It may be a different style than what you're used to but that's just it. What you're asking for is to change the elements of the game completely.

It's like saying hmmm. I wanna do MLG monopoly. But NERF passing go for $200. And free parking needs a BUFF. Also I don't like instantly being able to buy railroads. So take those out. And utilities. I wish they'd bring back that one card in community chest. Put that one on top.

See what I'm saying? Then it's not really Monopoly anymore is it? Maybe have house rules instated for instance for Halo 4, but don't change base aspects of it.

Regarding Ranked/Social lists

Just do it like H3 did. have seperate ranked and social lists, someone mentioned coding, the templates are already in place, just needs to be integrated into the system so some minor coding yes.

yes there are boosters and derankers .... aka BKs ..... simple solution for derankers is to simply not allow it, once you have it you're stuck with it. It would be nice to have an option to report folks for deranking ..... who knows ..... that would make sense so I'd say don't look for it lol. Personally I liked running solo in ranked play lists, the team mates tended to be more motivated to use calls, even if it was only MY X lol. I did that for a long time myself until I learned the proper calls, and they were motivated to win.

Obviously I have no issue with social players and that's why I enjoyed the different social/ranked play lists. I think I was a colonel in social social slayer. Good times. Didn't care if I won but did quite a bit. I enjoyed the way you could approach the game with a different mentality. Tryhard mode, go ranked, who cares mode, go social. Met tons of players I still run with to this day in social slayer.

At the end of the day, IMO, both ranked and social lists have their place and yes, it's decidedly healthier for the game to NOT try and mix the two, keep them separate.

Peace,

BaD

• Like 1

I'm so tired of reading all these threads about NERF THIS or BUFF THAT. Everyone wants a ranking system and a little 1-50 next to their names... Nobody is happy with the maps, they all want The Pit or Midship.

Look. I'll be the first to admit that Halo 3 was a good game. But if you want to play THAT so badly go buy the platinum hit and quit talking trash about how more people are playing Halo Reach than Halo 4!

Even if it was statistically true it doesn't matter. Not every gamer wants to be MLG boss and wreck everyone with a 4/1 KD. Some of us play the game to enjoy the cool stuff that happens along the way, the way video games were intended to be. Not measuring virtual dicks.

If you DO want to play competitively however maybe they should have an MLG playlist so you can go there. I'm not against the idea of MLG and competitive multiplayer. I AM HOWEVER against changing all the game dynamics to suit one crowd of people. That's just selfish and asenine. I'm not a game developer and chances are you're not either. So be glad we have a sequel and either play or don't.

It's not about being a fanboy, and it's not about being social or MLG. It's about playing a freaking VIDEO GAME the way they are meant to be played. It's supposed to be entertaining and something you can always pick up. Good replay value with a mix of different customizable play styles making each gamers experience unique and something they will want to play again.

I think since this is 343i's first game that they accomplished this. IGN gave them a rating of 9.8. I may not be the Halo fan I was 11 years ago but c'mon MLG and community forum... Don't you think you're taking it a LITTLE too far with all these outrageous competitive tweaks you want??? I'm not trying to argue and before you reply really THINK about what it is I'm saying...

Sorry it's so lengthy. Just had to get that off my chest and see if ANYONE else agrees.

First of all, thanks for being considerate. This is a great post.

Unlike you, I have been playing halo since the original and competed in MLG and matchmaking since Halo 2 very competitively. However, I play a lot of social playlists, forge, and goof around as well. Like you said, your not against MLG, so all 343i needs to do is put in a ranking system with ranked and social playlists and change a few things like other people in this topic have posted about. I have embraced the new changes that Halo now has (sprint, perks, etc.) and I do not mind them. Those "super hardcore only play MLG" people are quite annoying and should learn to do this as well.

Overall, I agree with what your saying except that MLG should definitely NOT cater to casual players. Casual players are not as good as competitive players and dont win MLG tournaments. Period.

343i should cater to COMPETITIVE AND CASUAL PLAYERS, yet they have only catered to casual players up to this point.

But Halo 4 doesn't have a good replay value. There is no ranked playlists, less customization than in other Halo games, etc. And besides that, the crowd of people who want an actual Halo game is much bigger than the crowd of 343 fanboiz who love this game exactly as is.

Oh please, game reviewers mean zilch. I can't believe anyone actually looks at those numbers.

You dont have to press X to respawn you know.. That way it goes to a timer...

Yes, but you can't disable it which is what he is complaining about

But see there ya go... Now you're changing game dynamics to suit your own agendas. Instead of playing the game for what it is. It may be a different style than what you're used to but that's just it. What you're asking for is to change the elements of the game completely.

It's like saying hmmm. I wanna do MLG monopoly. But NERF passing go for $200. And free parking needs a BUFF. Also I don't like instantly being able to buy railroads. So take those out. And utilities. I wish they'd bring back that one card in community chest. Put that one on top.

See what I'm saying? Then it's not really Monopoly anymore is it? Maybe have house rules instated for instance for Halo 4, but don't change base aspects of it.

What if you went to the store to buy monopoly because you and all of your friends LOVE Monopoly, but when you got home and opened the box, the game was instead Mouse Trap? Ofc Mouse Trap may be fun but its not nearly the same! You would be rightfully angry. Which is the situation that many Halo fans are in.

• Like 1

First of all, thanks for being considerate. This is a great post.

Unlike you, I have been playing halo since the original and competed in MLG and matchmaking since Halo 2 very competitively. However, I play a lot of social playlists, forge, and goof around as well. Like you said, your not against MLG, so all 343i needs to do is put in a ranking system with ranked and social playlists and change a few things like other people in this topic have posted about. I have embraced the new changes that Halo now has (sprint, perks, etc.) and I do not mind them. Those "super hardcore only play MLG" people are quite annoying and should learn to do this as well.

Overall, I agree with what your saying except that MLG should definitely NOT cater to casual players. Casual players are not as good as competitive players and dont win MLG tournaments. Period.

343i should cater to COMPETITIVE AND CASUAL PLAYERS, yet they have only catered to casual players up to this point.

To start I've been playing since Halo CE. I got an Xbox on launch and got that and Sega GT 2002 right about the same time. I remember it clearly. I only recently started playing casually with friends (mostly my Army buddies) and its SOOO much more fun than how I used to play. There are plenty of casual players that could WAX MLG wanna be's. But that's not the point.

But Halo 4 doesn't have a good replay value. There is no ranked playlists, less customization than in other Halo games, etc. And besides that, the crowd of people who want an actual Halo game is much bigger than the crowd of 343 fanboiz who love this game exactly as is.

Oh please, game reviewers mean zilch. I can't believe anyone actually looks at those numbers.

Yes, but you can't disable it which is what he is complaining about

What if you went to the store to buy monopoly because you and all of your friends LOVE Monopoly, but when you got home and opened the box, the game was instead Mouse Trap? Ofc Mouse Trap may be fun but its not nearly the same! You would be rightfully angry. Which is the situation that many Halo fans are in.

Secondly no replay value is just YOUR opinion. One among millions. Whether you find it replayable makes no difference in ANYONE'S life.

That makes me a fanboy because I enjoy the game now? Lol. That's the most narrow minded thing I'd ever heard. That's gotta be a joke.

So you're saying someone who's job is to play and rate games for a living is a joke and not worth anything? Can't say they've been wrong by me, but you sir who I've never heard of before two weeks ago MUST be the commanding authority. RIGHT...

You can't change it because that's THE GAME. That's like playing as Cortana during campaign or playing as the Didact in flood. You can't reprogram the game dynamics and as soon as you start? You're just wrong. Play within the parameters. Point blank? They will NEVER change this anyway so really it doesn't even matter.

You're not opening mousetrap. That's a terrible example. Maye you could've said monopoly 4? I dunno... I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

I'm all for competitive play, but...

I've never liked MLG's stance on radar. I don't really care if they think it takes more skill.

The only real competitive benefit I see from radar is encouraging communication. Other than that, all it does is increase randomness. When two players see each other on radar, the only factor is their skill. When they duel, it's not because one got the drop on the other for some random reason. Without radar, it's more about who gets the first shot because someone was behind someone. That's not even core Halo. That's why Halo HAS the motion sensor in the first place. To make it MORE about skill.

• Like 1

The point of this topic besides wasn't to address any of the things people are bringing up. It's not to weasel in some ranking system, nerfed or buffed weapons, or if the game is popular or not.

It's to play the game as is and come up with MLG to fit what's available to you. Not reprogram the game to fit your play style. Hell why don't we just bring back the mauler, the smg, and blood gulch? It's not that game. It's Halo 4. FOUR. Quatro. It's not Halo 3. It's not Halo 2. And it's not combat evolved.

Nobody cares if you like it or not because you could argue that until your blue in the face.

All that matters is to quit the bitching. You can cater to the MLG fans to a point as long as you stay within the lanes of the game that already exists. Why is that so hard? Maybe all these jaded "gamers" should just go make their own game and quit trying to rationalize changing everything for ludicrous means.

And this whole argument that anyone is less of a fan because they like the game that 343 sold on opening day is just dumb. Just because you have ideas on how you'd prefer to play doesn't make them realistic or even a good idea. I'm not saying it should be all casual. Challenge breeds excellence. But it shouldn't be this CF of random intentionally difficult BS that you have to try and decipher to score a kill because your pistols are useless and so are your rifles and you don't have radar... Imagine if they gave the community everything they wanted? That's a game I don't think very many people would be happy with. Games should be less hard for no reason and not fun for the RIGHT reasons.

The point of this topic besides wasn't to address any of the things people are bringing up. It's not to weasel in some ranking system, nerfed or buffed weapons, or if the game is popular or not.

It's to play the game as is and come up with MLG to fit what's available to you. Not reprogram the game to fit your play style. Hell why don't we just bring back the mauler, the smg, and blood gulch? It's not that game. It's Halo 4. FOUR. Quatro. It's not Halo 3. It's not Halo 2. And it's not combat evolved.

Nobody cares if you like it or not because you could argue that until your blue in the face.

All that matters is to quit the bitching. You can cater to the MLG fans to a point as long as you stay within the lanes of the game that already exists. Why is that so hard? Maybe all these jaded "gamers" should just go make their own game and quit trying to rationalize changing everything for ludicrous means.

Hah! Well regardless of people who either didn't read your post or didn't care enough to, I'm with you 100%.

Secondly no replay value is just YOUR opinion. One among millions. Whether you find it replayable makes no difference in ANYONE'S life.

That makes me a fanboy because I enjoy the game now? Lol. That's the most narrow minded thing I'd ever heard. That's gotta be a joke.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailypeakpopulation/all

dat replay value

So you're saying someone who's job is to play and rate games for a living is a joke and not worth anything? Can't say they've been wrong by me, but you sir who I've never heard of before two weeks ago MUST be the commanding authority. RIGHT...

Hmmm maybe you are new to the internet but all of those "game reviewers" (1) suck at video games and rarely play more than a few hours of multiplayer, (2) get paid by the big name companies to continue giving their games top reviews (think when is the last time you have seen ANYONE give a top name game a crap rating), (3) and their scale is stupid, it should be 9-10, instead of 1-10 because they rarely if ever give ratings below 9 and then usually to companies that don't pay them off.

You can't change it because that's THE GAME. That's like playing as Cortana during campaign or playing as the Didact in flood. You can't reprogram the game dynamics and as soon as you start? You're just wrong. Play within the parameters. Point blank? They will NEVER change this anyway so really it doesn't even matter.

What? This is nonsense, Halo never had instant respawn and removing it would NOT be "like playing as Cortanan during the campaign" this is just stupid.

You're not opening mousetrap. That's a terrible example. Maye you could've said monopoly 4? I dunno... I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

No, that is pretty much a perfect example. You are expecting Monopoly but you get Mouse Trap. I expected Halo and got COD.

http://halocharts.com/2012/chart/dailypeakpopulation/all

dat replay value

Hmmm maybe you are new to the internet but all of those "game reviewers" (1) suck at video games and rarely play more than a few hours of multiplayer, (2) get paid by the big name companies to continue giving their games top reviews (think when is the last time you have seen ANYONE give a top name game a crap rating), (3) and their scale is stupid, it should be 9-10, instead of 1-10 because they rarely if ever give ratings below 9 and then usually to companies that don't pay them off.

What? This is nonsense, Halo never had instant respawn and removing it would NOT be "like playing as Cortanan during the campaign" this is just stupid.

No, that is pretty much a perfect example. You are expecting Monopoly but you get Mouse Trap. I expected Halo and got COD.

Then go play CoD and quit crying about it on every thread someone makes. I'm sick of talking to you. You don't see where I come from on any thread ever so why do you even respond? What's the point if you're just going to be argumentative? Are ou that eager to put your own ignorance on display that you'll shoot down any opinion other than your own? I don't even want to waste my time pointing out why those YET AGAIN is solely your opinion and doesn't support the argument even a little bit.

You think you're hot **** but you're not... You just keep arguing stupid points. Did you even READ the topic? My god, just stop talking and quit replying to my threads and just GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. All you DO IS ARGUE. It's ******* annoying bro.