Thoughts On TS Pro's Absence

Colonl Charisma

They shouldn't have taken it away. Merely on principle. But YOU guys should stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Honest to god, I don't care HOW much you prefer your Pro/MLG/GB settings, if you call yourself a Halo fan, and you can't enjoy some Team Slayer? I mean... I just don't know what to say to that. Loadouts or no.

And off topic, what the poop is up with game battles slayer? Some dude invited me to a 1v1 and put that crap on. Why do they use the Scattershot? It's the most random weapon in the game. (And I will never agree with the competitive community about radar)

Lord forbid you try CTF, or DOMINION, or ODDBALL. Gametypes that require you to do more than kill mindlessly

The whole reason people played TS Pro was because it was an attempt at feeling like older Halo, none of these game types have that feel

They shouldn't have taken it away. Merely on principle. But YOU guys should stop acting like it's the end of the world.

Honest to god, I don't care HOW much you prefer your Pro/MLG/GB settings, if you call yourself a Halo fan, and you can't enjoy some Team Slayer? I mean... I just don't know what to say to that. Loadouts or no.

And off topic, what the poop is up with game battles slayer? Some dude invited me to a 1v1 and put that crap on. Why do they use the Scattershot? It's the most random weapon in the game. (And I will never agree with the competitive community about radar)

Why don't you agree about the radar? It only promotes camping and helps teams without very good coordination, thats why they don't like it. I don't see any positive thing it brings to the game.

So, I loaded up Halo 4 and discovered that there is no more TS Pro playlist. Not only did 343i replace Team Snipers with Team Regicide, but they have taken out the best and most balanced game-type in the H4.

I wasn't as disappointed at this as I was finding out I'd have to buy DLC to get KotH back... >:(

The whole reason people played TS Pro was because it was an attempt at feeling like older Halo, none of these game types have that feel

Why don't you agree about the radar? It only promotes camping and helps teams without very good coordination, thats why they don't like it. I don't see any positive thing it brings to the game.

What wrong with radar its part of the original game design for that reason only it should stay. Saying it promotes compared to it not I see plenty of people camping on ts pro because they dont have one.

sorry i don't like to play much cod like multiplayer thats why i played slayer pro. but its k i got customs

Seconded.

I also think E-sports are nearing a turning point. As technology improves, they have to re-evaluate what fills seats at MLG events. 4v4 became the primary vehicle for their product due primarily to the limitations of the technology at the time (You get less lag with fewer players because there are fewer connections to manage, so you get lots of free advertising and promotion from Xbox Live. People want to see gameplay that is so good it's like a personal fantasy, so they PLAY 4v4 playlists, but they WATCH MLG 4v4).

From a business perspective, there may not be as much money in their current model. You can set up a 4v4 playlist that's highly fast-paced, consistent, and competitive but you may find that people have gravitated away from it after they've seen games allow lag-free gameplay in larger teams. Suddenly a 4v4 isn't nearly as entertaining to watch as an 8v8 where players can naturally rack up more impressive multikills and sprees. A squad of 4 getting ripped apart isn't nearly as awesome-looking as a squad of 8 getting mowed down like a zombie horde.

I don't know that this is the direction things are going, I just know that I'm seeing a change in what kind of thing people have access to, and to be honest I never watched as many Halo montages (even in Halo 3 where I remember watching a lot of them) as I watched regular (non-montage) BF3 videos.

This may bother a lot of players who fell in love with the type of gameplay MLG promoted, because your love of the hardcore 4v4 may be completely unrelated to MLG, but the things that made that type of game popular are the same things that made MLG select it as a format. It may just be that particular type of game is becoming less popular in the gaming world. What was particularly prominent to me shortly after Halo 4's release was that the BTB playlist consistently had a higher population than the 4v4 playlists, whereas in Halo 3 and Reach the 4v4 and 5v5 always had the highest population. If the total population drops down enough the 4v4 will get more popular because there will be less lag in that playlist, but as technology allows for more so will competitive video gaming. It's just a natural evolution.

So people want the feel of an older Halo yet dont want radar? Correct me if Im wrong (and Im not) but Havent ALL Halos had radar? Lack of Radar is the sole reason I have never liked Slayer pro.

All they are doing is tweaking it to make it better. If you guys read the bulletin, you would know that. It will be back don't worry.

They keep saying things like that but none of it has actually happened yet, Team snipers had issues so I was happy when they took it for more work but there is no sign of it coming back.

Why they took KoH I am not sure unless they plan on rereleasing them only to people who pay for DLC (actually that sounds like a real posibillity).

I mean no normal KoH but yet its in the DLC, I have not heard to many people complain about slayer pro so why the need to fix before other issues people actually complain about????

Its a bit like microsoft making a mess of the crimson DLC download, they messed up some people got it free and when they could not fix the issue quick enough they posted a little press release calling it a free trial (while openly on other forums and twitter trying to fix it lol) this meant that they could then stop those who got it free from having it forever with no repurcussions..

Unfortunatley in the wake of Bungie the series has become about money instead of gameplay and the players (another thing it now shares with CoD) sad to see.

I wonder what will dissapear next??? It will probable be the most highly played non infinity slayer playlist, FOR FIXING OF COURSE...

So people want the feel of an older Halo yet dont want radar? Correct me if Im wrong (and Im not) but Havent ALL Halos had radar? Lack of Radar is the sole reason I have never liked Slayer pro.

No, sorry those were two different sentiments about two different subject, not related.

Seconded.

I also think E-sports are nearing a turning point. As technology improves, they have to re-evaluate what fills seats at MLG events. 4v4 became the primary vehicle for their product due primarily to the limitations of the technology at the time (You get less lag with fewer players because there are fewer connections to manage, so you get lots of free advertising and promotion from Xbox Live. People want to see gameplay that is so good it's like a personal fantasy, so they PLAY 4v4 playlists, but they WATCH MLG 4v4).

From a business perspective, there may not be as much money in their current model. You can set up a 4v4 playlist that's highly fast-paced, consistent, and competitive but you may find that people have gravitated away from it after they've seen games allow lag-free gameplay in larger teams. Suddenly a 4v4 isn't nearly as entertaining to watch as an 8v8 where players can naturally rack up more impressive multikills and sprees. A squad of 4 getting ripped apart isn't nearly as awesome-looking as a squad of 8 getting mowed down like a zombie horde.

I don't know that this is the direction things are going, I just know that I'm seeing a change in what kind of thing people have access to, and to be honest I never watched as many Halo montages (even in Halo 3 where I remember watching a lot of them) as I watched regular (non-montage) BF3 videos.

This may bother a lot of players who fell in love with the type of gameplay MLG promoted, because your love of the hardcore 4v4 may be completely unrelated to MLG, but the things that made that type of game popular are the same things that made MLG select it as a format. It may just be that particular type of game is becoming less popular in the gaming world. What was particularly prominent to me shortly after Halo 4's release was that the BTB playlist consistently had a higher population than the 4v4 playlists, whereas in Halo 3 and Reach the 4v4 and 5v5 always had the highest population. If the total population drops down enough the 4v4 will get more popular because there will be less lag in that playlist, but as technology allows for more so will competitive video gaming. It's just a natural evolution.

I don't think the 4v4 is tied to technology, but rather the style of game. Adding more players into a game does not necessarily make it better. Four is a good number because it allows team play, but it also allows an individual to make a difference on the outcome of a game. The more people there are, the less one's actions means. Also, More people means the maps have to be bigger which changes the gameplay. A 4v4 plays much differently than an 8v8.

Lord forbid you try CTF, or DOMINION, or ODDBALL. Gametypes that require you to do more than kill mindlessly

If you think team slayer is only about mindless killing, you are sorely mistaken. CTF, dominion, etc. are just different, not necessarily more skill-requiring than team slayer.

I never played slayer pro that much even though I do consider myself competitive. If 343 is going to take out team slayer pro then they should implement an MLG playlist (which I'm still waiting for) in its place.

• Like 1

I don't think the 4v4 is tied to technology, but rather the style of game. Adding more players into a game does not necessarily make it better. Four is a good number because it allows team play, but it also allows an individual to make a difference on the outcome of a game. The more people there are, the less one's actions means. Also, More people means the maps have to be bigger which changes the gameplay. A 4v4 plays much differently than an 8v8.

I know all that, and I don't disagree with anything in that paragraph.

I wasn't talking about what was better, since that's up to each person's preferences anyway, I was talking about what people will want to watch as gaming technology evolves. 4v4 IS closely tied to MLG. They didn't invent it or anything, but if you have a player who wants to be the best they're going to want to play what the MLG guys are playing. Since that's actually a LOT of players, what MLG does to keep filling seats will affect the future of the 4v4 format.

I like 4v4 in Halo, but no one is paying to watch me play. You may prefer to watch 4v4 instead of 6v6 or 8v8, but you and I don't constitute the entirety of the gaming population, so we can't really say what will be popular with people. I know that as games get more advanced though, people are going to want E-sports to keep up, and a lot of the advancements in technology focus on allowing more players to play without technical hiccups.

MLG will do what they have to do, I don't know what that is, but they're a business and they're going to try to keep making money. All I'm saying is that I don't think that will mean the same one thing forever. Whatever they do, a lot of players are going to want to do that too. It might not be 4v4 forever. If it's not, a lot of 4v4 players will evacuate those playlists.

so word is, 343 was created by infinity to sabotage and end the halo series and adverstise cod. Just think about it. I remember halo 2 and 3, when halo was prime. Balanced, skilled, and with a ranking system. Ever since 343 came in all theyve done was change halo and take everything away from HALO and transition it to COD. Taking away ranking systems and PLAYLISTS?! Adding loadouts, quick reloading, sprint, and every other COD feature. So the gig is up 343. we know who you really are. Thank you for ruining halo 4. you might as well call it Call of Duty 20.

BTW 343 if i wanted to play cod i wouldve bought cod. thanks for wasting my bmt graduation gift.

Well the playlist's population was one, if not, the lowest played. The last couple weeks there were only 1k-1500 at one time. It's no surprise they removed the playlist due to inactivity. I played a couple slayer pro games, but found it wasn't as fun as in previous games. H4s gameplay is different from previous titles, I can see why a lot of players arn't as interested in it anymore.

With being able to start with a DMR/BR in any playlist, there isn't as much interest in a pro playlist.

Well the playlist's population was one, if not, the lowest played. The last couple weeks there were only 1k-1500 at one time. It's no surprise they removed the playlist due to inactivity. I played a couple slayer pro games, but found it wasn't as fun as in previous games. H4s gameplay is different from previous titles, I can see why a lot of players arn't as interested in it anymore.

With being able to start with a DMR/BR in any playlist, there isn't as much interest in a pro playlist.

I completely agree that they removed it due to the lack of people playing it. Thought it was odd since it has always been a staple to all of the Halo titles since H2, and that it gave people who don't like the COD feel of Halo 4 a chance to strip the game down to something very basic. I strayed from Infinity Slayer until now due to the armor abilities and ordinance drops. The jet-packs have always been annoying to me.

Obviously you don't play the pro lists. They require skill. Not a bunch of camping nubs knowing exactly where the other team has to go.

I don't say that to insult you. Slayer Pro and Swat are the only two lists that felt remotely like Halo. The rest of the stuff just isn't Halo.

Obviously you don't play the pro lists. They require skill. Not a bunch of camping nubs knowing exactly where the other team has to go.

I don't say that to insult you. Slayer Pro and Swat are the only two lists that felt remotely like Halo. The rest of the stuff is for a bunch of COD kids that can't hang with COD.

I almost agreed with you. Until your second comment...