Railgun: Strong or Weak?

Combat

Whenever my options for an ordinance are a railgun and a needler, I feel cheated. I seriously don't see how a railgun is really a power weapon. However, I've heard people that feel the gun is very good at its job.

To me, the gun is essentially almost impossible to get a kill with. It is like a joke version of the spartan laser, and it seems to have a very small blast radius if any at all. Essentially, you need to get a body shot. That means you have to lead your target, and that makes the weapon practically impossible to aim because of the high level of accuracy needed to use it effectively. If I miss and the opponent is shooting at me, I won't get another shot, and I have really bad luck trying to land a shot on people (and it seems useless against vehicles).

In general, it seems weaker than a BR or DMR. However, I've heard that a lot of people like the weapon. What are your feelings on it?

Whenever my options for an ordinance are a railgun and a needler, I feel cheated. I seriously don't see how a railgun is really a power weapon. However, I've heard people that feel the gun is very good at its job.

To me, the gun is essentially almost impossible to get a kill with. It is like a joke version of the spartan laser, and it seems to have a very small blast radius if any at all. Essentially, you need to get a body shot. That means you have to lead your target, and that makes the weapon practically impossible to aim because of the high level of accuracy needed to use it effectively. If I miss and the opponent is shooting at me, I won't get another shot, and I have really bad luck trying to land a shot on people (and it seems useless against vehicles).

In general, it seems weaker than a BR or DMR. However, I've heard that a lot of people like the weapon. What are your feelings on it?

I love it, it's got a fast reload and if you can play it right you could get some really nice kills. It's good for surprise kills in my opinions, stay behind a wall and charging it up just a little bit then popping out and killing someone. It might be one of my faves. :D

Strong. I usually try and use it to destroy vehicles when the opportunity arises. It's got a quick reload time and that makes it very effective. Sometimes, though, I'll just go and kill some people on foot with it ;) It's a blast (literally)!

I would say that it's either my first or second choice from ordinance, probably more of a second choice and I select it on a situational basis (i.e. if there are lots of vehicles).

It may just be that I have either no aim or hideous lag. I feel like I am threading a needle with a sledgehammer trying kill players at any distance with the railgun. Seems to require no-scope levels of accuracy, but the way the projectile works, it could be altered by lag pretty significantly.

Usually, when I get a power weapon I want something that I can kill a normal person before they kill me, but I cannot kill people in an equal fight with the railgun. The only success I've ever had is against people that weren't aware of me.

Once you get used to the charge time, it's a real threat. If your aim is good, you can finish most fights before your shields have even dropped. And it works absolute wonders when combined with Promethean Vision or careful use of the motion tracker, as you can get it charging before a target is even in a position to shoot you. It's also got a nice punch against vehicles: not wildly destructive, but certainly enough to make the lighter ones like the Ghost think twice before taking you on.

I think the rail gun is pretty weak. I'm thinking it was given a nerf recently. Last night two dudes were rolling up on me with a Warthog to do a drive by so i got some space and blasted them with the railgun didnt blow up...the hog came back for more and i blasted them again on their backside...but it didn't blow up and drove away with them probably laughing at me.

I love the Railgun for one big reason: it taught me how to use the Spartan Laser. I don't know what it was with me but I could not hit ANYTHING with the Splaser in Reach. Suddenly, after using the Railgun, I've hit nearly every shot in a Spartan Laser mag time after time.

• Like 2

I think it's great. One of my favorite weapons, and it's about 60-40 chance in favor of getting a kill without PV. Then again I always use dexterity, so the reload is good enough for me to get a second shot usually if I miss. Try using it like a rocket. Charge up, jump, and aim down. I will admit that the radius in it isn't the best if you miss, meaning when I barely miss and hit by their foot or something they survive sometimes

It's essentially a skill based version of the rocket launcher.

*Can't rapid fire shots (Have to make it first time)

*Lower splash radius

*Requires good timing

I think it is meant to be a sort of midway point between the strength of standard loadout weapons and that of the rocket launcher. So in a sense it's only weak if you compare it with some of the other weapons. I wish it would show up more in personal ordinance.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...