Boltshot needs a nerf, I'm thinking a range or ammo nerf particularly

sgtmattbaker

The boltshot needs a nerf. It doesn't take that long to charge, someone half decent at aiming can one hit kill someone fairly easily, and there are enough rounds in it to do two charge shots in succession without having to reload.

I've heard the idea is to keep people from chasing other people... if someone is running from you, that usually means you are doing something right. Why give the person that really **should** die a last-ditch way to save themself? Changing the way the shields work in Halo 4 compared to Reach has already helped a lot with the problem of someone trying to rush you and melee you. In Reach, damage didn't "bleed through" your shield, so if you had a 75% damage head start on them they could easily nullify that by just meleeing you. In this game, if someone does that, you can melee them at the same time and the damage that the melee causes will go through the small portion of shield they have left and kill them, not giving them time to melee you again.

I say that reducing the range and/or ammo used for a charge shot would help. Also, the charge shot overheating can be easily averted by simply switching to your other weapon and right back. If you couldn't switch weapons until the charge-shot overheating bit is done that would also help quite a bit.

I think it's fine. Seriously, primary fire only takes shields down in one clip. Secondary fire requires them to get close. Closer than the shotgun. It's your fault for letting them get close. They also have a small window to fire. They can't hold it all day. If you can't get them or escape before they get you, try another loadout. Thruster Pack is my go-to for this.

It is a little too powerful, if they lower the damage by about 18% ( i calculated) it should be more equal with other weapons, while retaining its benefits smile.png

It can't even kill you with one clip unless you do secondary fire. Perhaps a nerf that makes it take the whole clip for one secondary fire?

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, I'm not an amazing player, probably considered decent at best, but when I have the boltshot on smaller maps I can wreak havoc, and really I feel like such a noob/jerk using it. If other people are using it and irritating me with it then I will decide to use it to get them back but other than that I try not to use it. It really needs a range nerf if anything as its one-hit kill range is farther than that of the scattershot or the human shotgun. Also, the charge-up time is still pretty freakin' fast. I can literally run around a corner, immediately charge it up and instakill the guy who was chasing me all in less than 2 seconds. You can protect yourself against it a little if you get good at listening to the sound it makes, but with all the chaos that normally goes on in matches that can be hard to do.

• Like 1

I don't think it needs a nerf, and I actually think that IF it gets nerfed, it'll become obsolete. No one will want to use it.

Yeah, this happens constantly in just about every game where developers release updates. Things that work well get nerfed into oblivion and people never use them again. This is regarded as OK, when in fact it's not. I would rather play a game with a few exceptional guns than a game with a lot of mediocre guns. I would PREFER that all of the guns rocked in their own way, but since that's a harder balance to strike, I'd rather they didn't nerf things that do their job.

Once again here is proof that the things range at least needs cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGxrl9QWFeE&feature=g-crec-u

The sad part is people that don't already know this are being ignorant and still don't believe the boltshot is OP, even after watching this video. I do rage a lot when I round a corner and clearly outside any NORMAL weapon's one shot range, and the boltshot can still drop me.

Boltshot will beat a shotgun and scattershot easily more than half the time, which agreed with the video is just wrong. A spawning secondary should not be stronger then an dropped weapon.

I would PREFER that all of the guns rocked in their own way, but since that's a harder balance to strike, I'd rather they didn't nerf things that do their job.

That's the entire point of this thread, NO GAME has a secondary that is an instant kill besides a knife or tomahawk. The gun would be perfectly fine if it one shot within melee distance and broke shields at double melee <-- IT STILL KILLS AT THIS DISTANCE, even beyond that. The video above shows a kill shot at around triple melee range, and breaking full shields at almost x7 to x8 range.

The sad part is people that don't already know this are being ignorant and still don't believe the boltshot is OP, even after watching this video. I do rage a lot when I round a corner and clearly outside any NORMAL weapon's one shot range, and the boltshot can still drop me.

Boltshot will beat a shotgun and scattershot easily more than half the time, which agreed with the video is just wrong. A spawning secondary should not be stronger then an dropped weapon.

That's the entire point of this thread, NO GAME has a secondary that is an instant kill besides a knife or tomahawk. The gun would be perfectly fine if it one shot within melee distance and broke shields at double melee <-- IT STILL KILLS AT THIS DISTANCE, even beyond that. The video above shows a kill shot at around triple melee range, and breaking full shields at almost x7 to x8 range.

Seriously if more people would watch my vids than we wouldn't be having this convo lol

I think I have said this in a few of these threads but possible changes IMO are as follows:

1. Reduce 1HK range to exactly just beyond melee range.
  2. Make the weapon do little or no damage when charged outside this range.
  3. Make the available release time shorter/increase the charge time (not by a lot just enough to make it require a certain amount of skill)
  4. Increase the time after release (overheat time) and make it so you cannot change weapon till it cools.

All of the above keep its use but make it a little harder to use, this would help keep it in its place as a secondary.

• Like 1

I think I have said this in a few of these threads but possible changes IMO are as follows:

3. Make the available release time shorter/increase the charge time (not by a lot just enough to make it require a certain amount of skill)

4. Increase the time after release (overheat time) and make it so you cannot change weapon till it cools.

All of the above keep its use but make it a little harder to use, this would help keep it in its place as a secondary.

What he^ said.

Honestly, that sounds just about perfect imo. There is no reason why a SECONDARY should have triple the kill range of an ORDNANCE DROP. Its like if you could choose an Incineration Cannon as a loadout weapon, but you could only get the Sticky Detonator through ordnance. It just doesn't make any sense.

I think it's fine. Seriously, primary fire only takes shields down in one clip. Secondary fire requires them to get close. Closer than the shotgun. It's your fault for letting them get close. They also have a small window to fire. They can't hold it all day. If you can't get them or escape before they get you, try another loadout. Thruster Pack is my go-to for this.

LMAO did you just say you need to be closer with it than you do with a shotgun? You couldn't be more wrong. Either you have not played this game that much or never went 1 on 1 with a shotgun vs a boltshot user.It is true they can't hold it all day long but they still have a good 3 seconds. Sometimes you can't help but get killed with it like when someone is crouching around the corner with stealth or when you chase someone who is one shot around the corner and you know what happens next.

Are you high?!! Its range is double of a shotgun

I hope they don't nerf it. I'm not the best player in the world and to be honest it has saved me more than a few times when things get hairy. It's a little annoying when I have the scattershot and still get wasted by it but I don't regret having it especially when facing a sword.

Usually if I see the tell tale signs someone else is using it I keep my distance. I've learned to be a cautious player and maintain my ground instead of advancing too recklessly in Halo 4. The boltshot really makes this easier and when accented with a DMR it can really be a good combo.

Y'all probably think I'm a noob for doing this... And I'll agree it is noobish. But I miss with it sometimes or other times get a sticky in the face. Some people would say plasma grenades are cheap.

I don't look too deep into it. I try and take advantages of it and I'm glad it's OP. Because if I had to switch to either the PP or Magnum I think I'd give up on secondary weapons all together. The boltshot has a specific purpose and that's really all it's good for.

Noob combo is too slow. The magnum takes a full clip to take someone out. The boltshot is that game changer on the hip that guys like me rely on. I honestly don't mind using it or getting killed by it.

Especially when the DMR and BR dominate primary weapon slots. I still don't think any other weapon comes close to comparing to those too. Even as cool as the light rifle is its still weaker. :/ So why would I go into combat with anything but the best? Some would argue the AR or stormrifle is better. I'd take a carbine good at all ranges than an automatic good at close to medium range.

But that's just preference. And because I suck with the AR. I'd rather have that one hitter quiter in my back pocket to rely on when they get within melee range. Meleeing just feels weird to me in this game. I'd much rather point and click.

So yeah... I guess what I'm trying to say is dot nerf the boltshot. I don't want to use something else... Secondary weapons should be just that. Something you rely on when things get itchy. Not "that gun that never gets used unless its a PP in big team".

I hope they don't nerf it. I'm not the best player in the world and to be honest it has saved me more than a few times when things get hairy. It's a little annoying when I have the scattershot and still get wasted by it but I don't regret having it especially when facing a sword.

Usually if I see the tell tale signs someone else is using it I keep my distance. I've learned to be a cautious player and maintain my ground instead of advancing too recklessly in Halo 4. The boltshot really makes this easier and when accented with a DMR it can really be a good combo.

Y'all probably think I'm a noob for doing this... And I'll agree it is noobish. But I miss with it sometimes or other times get a sticky in the face. Some people would say plasma grenades are cheap.

I don't look too deep into it. I try and take advantages of it and I'm glad it's OP. Because if I had to switch to either the PP or Magnum I think I'd give up on secondary weapons all together. The boltshot has a specific purpose and that's really all it's good for.

Noob combo is too slow. The magnum takes a full clip to take someone out. The boltshot is that game changer on the hip that guys like me rely on. I honestly don't mind using it or getting killed by it.

Especially when the DMR and BR dominate primary weapon slots. I still don't think any other weapon comes close to comparing to those too. Even as cool as the light rifle is its still weaker. :/ So why would I go into combat with anything but the best? Some would argue the AR or stormrifle is better. I'd take a carbine good at all ranges than an automatic good at close to medium range.

But that's just preference. And because I suck with the AR. I'd rather have that one hitter quiter in my back pocket to rely on when they get within melee range. Meleeing just feels weird to me in this game. I'd much rather point and click.

So yeah... I guess what I'm trying to say is dot nerf the boltshot. I don't want to use something else... Secondary weapons should be just that. Something you rely on when things get itchy. Not "that gun that never gets used unless its a PP in big team".

This is a great argument of why we should nerf the BS, thank you.