Is this even Halo anymore?

OkStateSpartan

Long time Halo fan here, and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the multiplayer for this game. I was in love with the past games, but this game just doesn't keep me wanting to play it. Most of these are been talked about pretty often, but let me know what you all think. I know people have had different experiences.

- I cannot stand ordinance drops. I feel as if the weapons have lost the value they once had in the other games. Now, people are able to obtain power weapons any moment based off their points. I played Reach forever, and no matter how much I played that game whenever you came across the sniper rifle or rocket launcher you took it because of it's value. It spawned only so many times and there was usually one or two. Now, I find myself fighting teams with 2-3 rocket launchers and/or incineration cannons in big team. I just feel as if the weapons are too easy to come by and it's starting to fee like Call of Duty because at any given moment someone has those weapons. I wish it would go back to actually working for the weapons instead of them just being handed to you.

- I don't like the load outs either. This isn't Call of Duty and that's why I like Halo. The DMR and BR now have ridiculous range and accuracy. This is up for controversy, but in Reach you couldn't clip a guy halfway across the map with a DMR in 2 seconds. Because of this, teams don't engage each other as much as they did back in Reach and Halo 3. Second, the plasma pistol and sticky grenades can be starting items which I absolutely hate! The plasma pistol was suppose to be terrible until someone on the other team was killing you with vehicles then someone would think critically and get the plasma pistol to take down vehicles. Starting with stickies annoys me too because those are valuable because they CAN stick. Now anyone can start with them and take out vehicles in seconds with a plasma pistol and a sticky. Which leads me to my next thing: vehicles.

- Vehicles lifespans are awful now. Warthogs and Ghosts last what? 30 seconds or less? Because an entire team can spawn with sticky grenades and plasma pistols now. It's amazing how many Warthogs I've destroyed with that combo and you can't avoid it. Vehicles are useless now because anyone can just disabled and throw grenades on it; especially when you are carrying 3 stickies. Lastly, the Mantis. I hate this thing. It's impossible to kill. It hides around corners and when its shields go down it go behind something and regenerates and then comes back and kills 5 more people. It changes the course of everything and it's one of the reasons teams cannot actually have big firefights on maps.

In a nutshell... Teams don't engage, vehicles don't last, load outs are completely awful, people obtain weapons for nothing essentially, and weapons have no value. So, I'm quite disappointed.

Anyone feel same way? Or like it and why?

• Like 1

I mostly agree with what you're saying, especially with the vehicles, but I think we just need to give the game some time. I remember Halo 3 having some pretty terrible problems when it first came out and everyone complained, but after an update or 2, things were more balanced, games were more fun and everybody loved it. My guess is that they same thing will happen here. I just wrote a rant about how mad I am that there was no ranking system only to learn a few posts later that it's coming.

The idea behind the ordance drops probably makes sense. It somewhat evens out the games especially for newer players, but I for one loved the idea of the power weapon being somewhere on the map. It was fun to make a mad dash for the rocket launcher on narrows becuase it turned into an epic battle between both teams and that was fun even when you didn't end up with it. I have a tough time with the randomness and I think that's probably the biggest problem. I was able to guage who had what weapon anywhere on the map pretty easily, but now you may engage with someone around a corner thinking they have a BR/DMR and then BOOM, you just took a rocket to the face! The ordnance drops can be fun, but I don't see why those can't coexist with starting weapon points. Right now I run out of ammo all too often and can't do anything about getting a new gun.

• Like 1

It was fun to make a mad dash for the rocket launcher on narrows becuase it turned into an epic battle between both teams and that was fun even when you didn't end up with it. I have a tough time with the randomness and I think that's probably the biggest problem. I was able to guage who had what weapon anywhere on the map pretty easily, but now you may engage with someone around a corner thinking they have a BR/DMR and then BOOM, you just took a rocket to the face! The ordnance drops can be fun, but I don't see why those can't coexist with starting weapon points. Right now I run out of ammo all too often and can't do anything about getting a new gun.

Every match would start the same way, almost every match would be decided by who could control the power weapons.

Try picking up weapons.

Other then that I generally agree with you guys. If two warthogs go at it, one generally survives and then gets hit by a DMR and blows up.

I'm with you. I'll just copy and paste what I put on a different thread which links with what you're saying:

I completely agree with this thread, Halo was perfect for close range with the extremely smooth gameplay. The majority of times I've died is due to long ranged weapons. However, I believe 343 introduced less health to entice COD players as many of them moaned about the length it took to kill someone on Halo.

Whereas the other Halos required tactics and skill, this just requires high levels with tons of camping.

I used to agree with all this and still do with some of it!!

The issue with ordinance drops can be frustrating but yet can have a positive side aswell.. its is rare you get stuck on a bad team being dominated as someone eventually gets something that helps ye get out of the situation i.e. a spartan laser on valhalla. This is the good side of them, the bad side is that we have lost the epic and great battles at the start of a round for the power weapons (one of the best things about Halo 3). Also the unpredictability of them is annoying i.e playing Valhalla today I earned 3 of em and got rubbish (spped boost, needler, nades) which was no help on that map.

The vehicles are just as deadly in the right hands you just have to change the way you use them, playing with friends we have had a lot of success with hogs as we know what we are doing now (learned through trial and error).

All the long range weapons have created a more campy game which I dislike but seeing no real way that this will change i supppose we will just have to live with it (TOO MANY GOOD LONG RANGE STARTING PRIMARY WEAPONS)

All in all the issues are annoying to start with but you get used to the changes and they are far less noticable the more you play so stick with it and hope for a classic playlist in the near future!!

All the long range weapons have created a more campy game which I dislike but seeing no real way that this will change i supppose we will just have to live with it (TOO MANY GOOD LONG RANGE STARTING PRIMARY WEAPONS)

I couldn't agree more. I really feel like this is a problem because I personally love using long range weapons and prefer it to close combat, but it feels like overkill now. The camping is a problem. I see my K/D getting worse because I get impatient and try to rush the other team which almost never works. One thing that I do like about the ordnace drops is that it seems to keep the games closer. I was in a match last night where we got off to a big lead on Ragnarok. I got a bunch of kills in the mantis and thought we were well on our way to victory, but after that was gone, the other team took over and took the lead. We won by maybe 1 or 2 kills. In Halo 3 the other team would have never been able to regain controll like that so I think this is a good thing in H4

I enjoy the ordinance drops personally, they keep the game fresh in a way. I would prefer weapons to just have spawn times on the map like in H3 but its no biggie.

As far as vehicles go im very happy they die quickly. Have some skill and shoot someone with your gun not run them over or turret someone to death.

Loadouts i use the same one every time so its never like there is one to me so

I agree with the OP 100%. I've been playing since H3 and I have to say that in most aspects this isn't Halo anymore. Some of the defining features have been changed like load outs, weapon spawns, and vehicles. Hell I wouldn't even use a Warthog as a bullet shield anymore and in Reach or H3 i'd have more wheel mans than I could count.

One of the things I really hate is the specifications with playlists. I miss my Big Team objective games like CTF and Assault, just not as fun to me without two large teams trying to accomplish a more complex goal than dropping bodies. Hopefully they change this relatively soon.

It really sucks how H4 seems more like Call of Duty: Halo Edition, but that's just my perspective.

I agree! I was a die hard halo fan since halo 2 until now. Sometimes i think i'm playing call of duty. The reason halo was so great is because it was nothing like COD. I'm disappointed in the whole multiplayer especially the sniper with the recoil and losing sight when your shot. This game is just aweful. I am returning it to gamestop tomorrow. Miss you bungie :(

Honestly, I feel like this is just the next version of Halo. I've been playing Halo since Halo: CE and I appreciate the old Halo, but I actually love the new feel. It's fast paced, streamlined, and it's a new twist on Halo by a new, promising company.

The old versions of Halo were great, but to be honest, Halo wouldn't survive if it just kept the same play style going. I love the new twist.

• Like 1

I don't get the hate towards Ordinance Drops to be honest, and they're hardly comparable to CoD's Killstreaks. Ordinance gives you a weapon, Killstreaks annihilate half of the map. I've found that people don't last that long with Ordinance Drops anyway, maybe three-five kills and then they get shot in the face with a DMR.

I agree with you regarding vehicles. They're damn useless now. Barely any thought went into the loadouts, it seems.

I agree to an extent. Though, most of your issues about map control, camping, and fodder vehicles can be easily fixed either by the person's playstyle, or by simple ballance changes like decreasing the armor penetration of the dmr and its killtime, or upping the flinch for snipers and making it so it transitions over into quickscopes. As to random ordanance drops and instant respawns, these have no place in competitive 4v4. it's nonsensical since on one hand it promotes teamplay and map control, but on another takes away from it on small-medium sized maps. I like the fast pacing and streamlined experience, but it's not fun when it feels like any single kill is pointless.

As to the objective gametypes, i think a lot of those are very haloesque, in exception to dominion which is a completely new addition.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with just about everything accually, i dont mind the loadouts....the big thing in this game i absoulutly HATE is ordinance drops...like who the hell thought these were a good idea...I faced a team today with 1 of each sniper rifle, 2 saw's and an incinerator cannon...and yes im being serious..

I don't get the hate towards Ordinance Drops to be honest, and they're hardly comparable to CoD's Killstreaks. Ordinance gives you a weapon, Killstreaks annihilate half of the map. I've found that people don't last that long with Ordinance Drops anyway, maybe three-five kills and then they get shot in the face with a DMR.

I agree with you regarding vehicles. They're damn useless now. Barely any thought went into the loadouts, it seems.

Obviously you have never seen me get a fuel rod cannon, guaranteed running riot.

If they didn't change anything about the game and left it all the same people would complain for those reasons, I feel bad for game developers, they change stuff and people say "OMG they changed everything, its not even the same game anymore!!!" and when they don't people go "OMG this is just the same game with better graphics, waste of $60!"

I agree with all Op!

Sniper kickings good tho.

Remove all optional weapon selections bull****, and ordinance drops and you'll have a good game. Remove all new bull**** entirely, reinstate power drain, bubble shield, and you have the best Halo ever made.

Oh, and you can keep the Mantis. It's cool

I agree with all Op!

Sniper kickings good tho.

Remove all optional weapon selections bull****, and ordinance drops and you'll have a good game. Remove all new bull**** entirely, reinstate power drain, bubble shield, and you have the best Halo ever made.

Oh, and you can keep the Mantis. It's cool

couldn't agree more