Halo 4's Campaign Disappointing

W467

i enjoyed halo 4 all the way up untill the end. that was the only turn off for me really. Halo 2 campaign was the best because i enjoy the flood and other things. The only issue i have with halo 5 campaign is halo 4 spartan ops i don't play spartan ops because its to laggy and rehashed maps with emenies is no fun to me i'm just wondering where h5 will take place.

I also might add that this is their first attempt at resurrecting Halo after the events of the third game. Personally, I don't think they did half bad, but like I said they can't please everyone. Also, you have to accept how the game was done and to be a little more open minded... just saying.

I admit I was disappointed with Halo 4 ,not because its bad but rather it was disappointingly average. They played it extremely safe with most of the decisions with the campaign.

Plus Halo 4's story was sort of a gamble. E.g I find that people who loved Halo 4's story are more likely to ignore the campaigns other flaws .Which is why Im more inclined to point out its flaws more than most people.

I think they wasted a load of potential on the mission objectives! By that I mean the things you as a player are actually doing during the campaign, which in Halo 4s case is "PRESS BUTTON X". Seriously, you have actually 2 missions (Forerunner and Shutdown) entirely dedicated to shutting down a generator or whatever (e.g. "press a button"), not to mention that even the 'final fight' consists of this, too. It's so ennerving that every time you find something it's blocked/jammed etc. for no apparent reason by some random generator which you have to deactivate.

The worst thing is that they make you do it not just once but several times, which makes the mission feel really uncreative and artificially stretched; like 343 had no other ideas. One of the best examples of this artificial lengthening of the content was during the mission Shutdown when you had to, well, shut down one of the towers and were riding the gondola (Halo 2-style) from point A to B. Of course, the gondola gets stopped (also Halo 2-style) and you have to kill all the enemies. When you continue driving, they actually pull the same thing another time, just now with Promethans instead of Covenant! At the 2nd stop I really thought to myself: "duh, here we go again" and the mission really became a chore.

Because of all this, everything you do during the missions seems really inconsequential, which of course is a huge negative contrast to the supposedly epic story running in the cutscenes somewhere in the background while you do the button pressing.

I repeat, 2 of 8 missions as well as the end fight are consisting entirely of this (plus numerous objectives in other missions), so it really sticks out. Granted, the previous Halo's had such moments, too (Two Betrayals), but they weren't nearly as obvioulsly striking and plentiful as in Halo 4. In Halo 2 alone you were defending a space station, fighting through a city, eliminating a heretic, chasing Prophets, searching for the Index in a desolated complex, chasing Prophets again or juist kicking some hairy Brute-butt. In Halo CE you had to rescue a captain, help evacuating marines etc. If you tried you could maybe sum up Halo 4 in such a exciting way more or less, too, but the above mentioned feelings still remain for the above mentioned reasons.

Damn, I'm so pissed at this that I wanted to make a thread about it, but well. What agonizes me is that this flaw didn't really get critizied in reviews, so it maybe won't draw 343's attention and be improved in Halo 5.

This game feels like the equivalent of Halo:CE for the new trilogy. They both had an equal storyline and not much was explained. The only reason people didn't complain about CE's campaign is because it was new.
As for the mischevious forunner part, they wouldn't have been able to introduce the forunner prometheans and the game would be ingested with the storm. That would also ruin jul mdama story and make the game uncompelling. Seriously, the only forunners who were introduced was the didact and the librarians AI.

nor is there a reason to.

I can definately understand people being angry at other people who cant express an opinion logically and coherently but, Delpen 9

are you saying there is no reason to express them because there is nothing wrong with it ? Im not being sarcastic I genuinely don't understand what you mearnt with that statement.

I can definately understand people being angry at other people who cant express an opinion logically and coherently but, Delpen 9

are you saying there is no reason to express them because there is nothing wrong with it ? Im not being sarcastic I genuinely don't understand what you mearnt with that statement.

This is a fan forum so 343 doesn't see what is posted here. Maybe if they posted this in a forum that matters instead of sqwauking at others. Though most of the comments I see on this site are unreasonably biased and conflict with other's opinions. I respect threads that are dedicated to important or urgent issues that seriously require changes but people are just filling up space with problems that have very little importance in the game and just cluttering the more important points. Some of these problems should be summed up into a more grand perspective instead of focusing on the "minute" issue.

When I wrote that I was in a snooty write quick mood so I would be able to say something meaningful in the thread later.

mm...a fair opinion but then again Im compelled to ask does it matter?Does it matter whether 343i reads your comment?

For example I made a thread a while ago with the hope that 343i would read it but eventually what I enjoyed most about the thread wasn't the prospect of 343i reading it but the discussion it sparked between like minded people and also people with different opinions. And I think thats why Im not really against people discussing what they didnt like (within reason ofcoarse) because ultimately I regard discussing negatives with the same attitude as friends discussing what they didnt like about a movie they just saw while having a drink in a relaxed atmosphere.

I agree with you that some matters should be discussed for frequently than others e.g multiplayer and spartan Ops because they have the potential for an immediate change however in light of the revelation that Halo 5 is already in production I really dont see the problem with discussing the contents of the campaign including why it disappointed.

The story may have some faults but overall it's pretty good. Cortana's character was good in my opinion and when she died, I did feel some sort of sadness. It seems like you don't fully understand Cortana as a character and the impact she has in the Halo series. She's been there since the first game and we've been listening to her, taking her advice, and even engaging in a bit of conversation every now and then. Hearing her slowly become rampant and watching her die kinda makes you appreciate her character a lot more since now you know she's gone forever. This kinda goes with the saying "you don't know what you have until you don't have it anymore".

Even though she may have been a side character it doesn't mean she wasn't important the story. Going to your cop analogy, even though the person providing Intel to the cop, doesn't mean they weren't. Imporrtant. In fact, they're one of THE important people since they provide the cop the details they need in order for the cop to do their job. They may not get any recognition but they're still important.

My point is this. Cortana's death was a bit sad to see and had meaning behind it. She may not have been the "main" hero but saying that she's not important is entirely incorrect.

• Like 2

The story may have some faults but overall it's pretty good. Cortana's character was good in my opinion and when she died, I did feel some sort of sadness. It seems like you don't fully understand Cortana as a character and the impact she has in the Halo series. She's been there since the first game and we've been listening to her, taking her advice, and even engaging in a bit of conversation every now and then. Hearing her slowly become rampant and watching her die kinda makes you appreciate her character a lot more since now you know she's gone forever. This kinda goes with the saying "you don't know what you have until you don't have it anymore".

Even though she may have been a side character it doesn't mean she wasn't important the story. Going to your cop analogy, even though the person providing Intel to the cop, doesn't mean they weren't. Imporrtant. In fact, they're one of THE important people since they provide the cop the details they need in order for the cop to do their job. They may not get any recognition but they're still important.

My point is this. Cortana's death was a bit sad to see and had meaning behind it. She may not have been the "main" hero but saying that she's not important is entirely incorrect.

That's right. As most war games say these days, she left "With a Bang".

• Like 1

I'm hoping that she isn't really dead after all.

Sorry for this, but I don't know how she could still be alive. Even before you get to the Composer, she seems to be dying from her rampancy. Then if, and that's a very big if, what was left of her survived the nuclear blast and clung on on other parts of the ship, then she would have deteriorated in space, as the Didact's ship seemed to be mostly in small fragments and certainly the entire ship would have lost the internal atmosphere. Now, outer space is the closest natural "substance" (not sure if that's the right word) to a perfect vacuum, but it isn't completely empty. It contains all sorts of tiny particles like protons, which would devastate any electronic device in minutes.

mm...a fair opinion but then again Im compelled to ask does it matter?Does it matter whether 343i reads your comment?

For example I made a thread a while ago with the hope that 343i would read it but eventually what I enjoyed most about the thread wasn't the prospect of 343i reading it but the discussion it sparked between like minded people and also people with different opinions. And I think thats why Im not really against people discussing what they didnt like (within reason ofcoarse) because ultimately I regard discussing negatives with the same attitude as friends discussing what they didnt like about a movie they just saw while having a drink in a relaxed atmosphere.

I agree with you that some matters should be discussed for frequently than others e.g multiplayer and spartan Ops because they have the potential for an immediate change however in light of the revelation that Halo 5 is already in production I really dont see the problem with discussing the contents of the campaign including why it disappointed.

Yes, its not wrong for people to enjoy the mental stimulation acquired through conversation, yet, nothing long and worth while is achieved through the conversation other than exercising some brain tissue. There may still be a chance that someone who is important towards the production of Halo content would read this thread and reflect from it, it just isn't as likely considering that this is only a community forum. In the back of their minds people post biased things on this forums in hope that it will eventually be spread off somewhere or to someone meaningful.

Though, this is all true, a small issue as the ones I degraded in my previous post have the potential to evolve into something "important" but only with stimulating conversation as mentioned in the first conversation. This is what i strive to do, and the fact that I disregarded that very thing proves my arrogance after all. I'm not going to change what I wrote in the first sentence so this can remind me of the adaptation of my perspective through writing this post. Like ancient Indian artistic customs, I will leave a flaw in my writing to signify human imperfection, which in this case is my mis-judgement.

Sorry for this, but I don't know how she could still be alive. Even before you get to the Composer, she seems to be dying from her rampancy. Then if, and that's a very big if, what was left of her survived the nuclear blast and clung on on other parts of the ship, then she would have deteriorated in space, as the Didact's ship seemed to be mostly in small fragments and certainly the entire ship would have lost the internal atmosphere. Now, outer space is the closest natural "substance" (not sure if that's the right word) to a perfect vacuum, but it isn't completely empty. It contains all sorts of tiny particles like protons, which would devastate any electronic device in minutes.

There's tons of plausible theories out there on how she can be alive/ revived/

I was really dissappointed by Halo 4.

1. Little comedy relief:

Halo 4 was trying to be too serious. It lacks that charm of Halo games. There's little to no comedy anywhere. The only one I can think of is the Mantis thing and even that was easily missed. Cortanta was too busy dying to say anything witty and chief was too human to say his epic one liners. Johnson isn't around for awesome speeches and grunts don't speak english. Marines, where?! Too dark for a Halo game.

2. The music is gone:

Marty was a massive loss to the series. There was barley any music that could be heared over that sweet sound railgun and when it could be heard it was just generic. Part of what makes Halo memorable is the music. They should just reuse the old games soundtracks.

3. That was it?

No epic battles, no memorable battles(Also partly due to music). I remember in Halo 1 fighting flood and the covenant on the bridge in Two betrayals, Dropping in from a damaged covenant cruiser into a warzone in Keyes and landing for a beach assualt. Halo 2 had me boarding a scarab, punching a prophet to death and fighting in the midst of a covenant civil war. Halo 3 had me leading a tank charge against several Scarabs, Fighting with the flood against a greater threat and clearing a landing zone for a frigate.

Halo 4 had me.....ummm......shooting covenant?

4. No AI vs AI.

Halo 1: Flood vs covenant.

Halo 2: Flood vs elites vs brutes vs forerunners.

Halo 3: Elites vs brutes vs flood.

Halo 4: Covenant and forerunners together?

• 4 weeks later...

When you said Cortana isn't important to the player, that's a generalization. She's helpful and has a charning personality (playful and flirty).

Lasky does respect Chief as a war veteran. Rio does not, but that's because he's supposed to be a *********-type character.

The Forerunners were kept mysterious throughout previous games, but that's a good thing for Halo 4, at least in my opinion. After all this time learning about their vague history and technology, the face of a Forerunner is finally revealed for the first time.

343i wasn't trying to make Halo 4 a personal story, they were just trying to bring more focus to the relationship of Chief and Cortana.

Now that I stated all your flaws, I'm done here. Goodbye.

• 2 weeks later...