I LOVE being a gamer, but the community...

A Fhaol Bhig

The media don't like gaming at all, for some reason, and they hate on it.

I agree, the gaming community in general need to recover and act a lot more mature, we ourselves let each other down all the time and this gives the media an open gate essentially to slam us as much as they like, if we act more mature, we will be taken more seriously.

• Like 2

I agree, the gaming community in general need to recover and act a lot more mature, we ourselves let each other down all the time and this gives the media an open gate essentially to slam us as much as they like, if we act more mature, we will be taken more seriously.

Well the media doesn't dislike the gaming community per say. They are going to post whatever stories will help them out the most. Attributing video games to acts of heinous violence is journalist gold for them.

But, I agree that the gaming community has gotten ridiculous recently and it's almost shameful to include myself as one of them. (Shakes heads) It's also why I have been moving to casual games like Minecraft recently. Those games have great communities.

• Like 1

I have never harassed (and never will) a girl on xbox live for any reason. The people that do likely don't get any...

Best to just ignore them. Their opinions aren't worth anything anyway. :)

I agree, however it's a bad reprsentation of a activity that wants to be taken seriously, while demonstrating that perhaps in some cases isn't ready to be taken seriously.

FOX News hasn't jumped all over it for some reason...however things like with the ME3 ending furor, people were donating money to Child's Play Charity, and then asked for a refund when they realized the money wasn't going to a new ending, it was going to needy kids. Things like that just poorly represent us as a whole.

The media doesn't like gaming, and I havenever insulted a girl (for being a girl) on Xbox Live, at least to my knowledge.

Their are more negative opinion articles, or articles that spout pure nonsense then articles that are positive or at least well thought out by a large margin. Also I'm glad you haven't been insulted, it's not something that you need to experience as I'm sure you know =P

Their are more negative opinion articles, or articles that spout pure nonsense then articles that are positive or at least well thought out by a large margin. Also I'm glad you haven't been insulted, it's not something that you need to experience as I'm sure you know =P

I'm a guy, that's why I have never insulted a girl.

Well, I'd post the over 200 insults I've received over Xbox live that I record so me and my friends can laugh at. Or the experience of whenever I play with my sister she gets attacked by butt hurt people who got their butts handed to them. I'd point you to virtually any "platform exclusive" title that brings out the fanboys, virtually any YouTube video on games that has flame wars everywhere, and nearly every single game website that has basically every single article where someone has to start a fight.

I just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way I did about the gaming community and its often times contradictory and hypocritical members.

The media really does dislike the gaming community in general... Big sites like the ones you listed really need to straighten their act. So much immaturity is shown on sites like that.

In my opinion, this site is basically a shining spec of light in the dark abyss of the gaming community. We can really set an example here.

• Like 1

-snip-

Unfortunately, this behavior isn't limited to gaming at all. As a matter of fact, most of the behaviors you see over Multiplayer Matchmaking these days originally started on the internet, and spread into gaming like a virus. The "Women don't belong on the internet" trend started on websites like 4chan, and eventually made it's way into gaming.

The only way to stop behavior such as this is to report those who partake, unfortunately. Hatemail, countertrolling, etc is very ineffective. A ban, on the other hand, is sort of the "critical hit" that's needed to help stop things such as this.

That's one of the reasons this forum is great. The moderators are constantly scouring pages, status updates, the shoutbox, and every part of the site (besides PM's) that allow members to communicate with each other to make sure everyone is playing nice. Sometimes things are missed, which is why we have a report feature. :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this behavior isn't limited to gaming at all. As a matter of fact, most of the behaviors you see over Multiplayer Matchmaking these days originally started on the internet, and spread into gaming like a virus. The "Women don't belong on the internet" trend started on websites like 4chan, and eventually made it's way into gaming.

Oh I know that. Doom, Quake, And Counter-Strike were my first encounters with internet tryhards/tough guys. It's not just gaming, I said as much in my OP, but nobody who reads books goes "Books are a misunderstood form of art" whereas people do go "games are a misunderstood form of art" the difference being books are accepted, while gaming still struggles. The hate I see doesn't help our case for gaming being a good thing.

at first when you said the community, i thought you were talking about these forums and i got all upset. lol :laughing:

but this is a very relevant topic. When i end up with girls in the same lobby as me, i have a lot of respect for them. I have witnessed a lot of the harassment that goes on and it annoys me. But the way you girls just keep on gaming is very cool. You do it because you love it, and no one is going to stop you

and about the reputation of the gaming community....

i think a lot of these problems come from careless parents. Not all of them, but a lot. When 5 year olds are on xbox live, they hear so much stuff that they shouldnt hear and it sticks with them for the rest of theirs lives. Their parents just give them whatever they want and they dont care what kind of media their kids are exposed to. Then as they get older, they pick up more stereotypes and bad language to put in their arsenal. Then the media finds out about some of these kids and whole community gets pummeled for it. A lot of gamers are mature and are very decent people, but when the immature minority of the community screws up, all gamers get the hate

my parents are not fond of me gaming at all. From some of the gamer stereotypes, they think i have no friends or social life, And they think gaming will make me into a violent person.(i have plenty of friends that i hang out with in person, and i am more calm than anyone else in my family. Pretty much the opposite of violent). My parents think the whole gaming community is like this becuase of a few people who screwed up in life. A lot of the people in our world over the age of 30 or so think technology is ruining the world. They were raised in a time peroid when they didnt have access to the technology we do and it is more foreign to them. They don't like all of these new changes, so they try to put it down every chance they get. The media finds a violent kid who has been plaing cod since he was 5, and then it suddenly appears that video games turn all gamers into violent people(sarcasm).

Point is, when the lesser amount of people in the gaming community screw up, everyone is stereotyped from it. The best comparisson i can come up with is terrorism. a few Islamic extremists set of a bomb, and then their whole religion gets put down and stereotyped because of it. I do not mean to insult anyone from this comparrison, but it is just a a real life thing that i have witnessed

but the problem is....this immature minority in the gaming community is growing very rapidly

i dont know if that was easy to follow along with, but it sounded a lot better in my head :laughing:

also, with the matter of gamers complaining, i hate it as well. Certain gamers seem to have problem with every game that comes out, and they go and play it anyways. The complain say its going suck and they'll never play it, but they can't even walk their talk

this is a very good topic, and i'm glad to see that someone is speaking up about these things. It looks like this topic took up quite a bit of time, but the results came out great

i hope to see you around here more Fhaol Bhig

• Like 2

I agree with you in relation to the stupid insults. I have had a ridiculous amount of insults on xbox. It doesn't bother me much, but I would appreciate being left alone sometimes!

Also, I think people complain a lot because they don't like change.

• Like 1

I agree with you in relation to the stupid insults. I have had a ridiculous amount of insults on xbox. It doesn't bother me much, but I would appreciate being left alone sometimes!

Also, I think people complain a lot because they don't like change.

the problem is, certain people complain even if a game doesn't change

The best ones are the ones who complain a game is to much like another game. Halo 4 has "specializations" so it copied COD.

In that case, Halo has guns, clearly COD copied that.

haha :laughing: soo true......

but we cant let this conversation become too hypocritical.......we are complaining about other people complaining......lets not make ourselves look bad ;)

I think this community problem is mostly present on CoD. At least that's how i experienced it.

On Halo the community has always been fun, even with the trash talk.

and i will say that cod is responsible for a lot of the hate that the gaming community gets. I know a lot of kids play cod just because they think it makes them cool, they dont even like gaming that much. Then they think they're super cool when they're playing cod, so they try to show some dominance and start trying to intimidate others with trash talk. The language that i have heard on cod is definately worse than anything i have heard playing halo. I am not talking about the words being used, i mean the amount that the words are used. They are two completely different environments to me

i love girls that play games i think it's hot ;)

and i never personally hate neither gamer girls or boys

if some one write to me "you damn noob, you damn camper" i only reply to that because i love to provoke that person to se what that person want to get out of it and many times i get back "i'm sorry"

and i know it is too much harassment online

an the only thing i can do to prevent other people harass someone is to say, don't care wat they say or do

I think this community problem is mostly present on CoD. At least that's how i experienced it.

On Halo the community has always been fun, even with the trash talk.

Don't know, I think they are equally bad at times. COD just happens to be worse because more people play it.

i love girls that play games i think it's hot ;)

Amen brother :lol:

(Don't hit me!)

haha :laughing: soo true......

but we cant let this conversation become too hypocritical.......we are complaining about other people complaining......lets not make ourselves look bad ;)

As long as we keep civil about it, we won't be hypocritical at all. It's like the USA saying "stop fighting" they aren't hypocrites because they've fought in the past. It's a valid statement to make, and someone has to say it. Gaming can be a hostile place, only by discussing its problems can we start making it better bit by bit in our own way. :horse: