Burning Wolves' book "Halo - Shades of Grey"

Mr. Wolfy

About this book.  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this book in its complete version?

2. 2. Do you think the point of view from which the story is told should be changed? Do you consider yourself a halo storyline expert (including books) and would like to assist on this project? (if yes please message me)

• Point of view should be changed and I would like to assist.
    • Point of view should not be changed and I would like to assist.
    • Point of view should be changed and I would not like to assist.
    • Point of view should not be changed and I would not like to assist.
  3. 3. Which character would you like to see developed in the storyline?

• Kaatisu (Spartan 081)
    • Liza (Spartan 099)
    • Chris (Spartan 003
    • Rhino (ODST who was charged with assaulting Doctor Halsey, it took 5 marines to stop him from killing her after he hacked into a file containing Doctor Halsey's personal notes on the Spartan II's)
    • Ed (Spartan III, found onboard a ship transporting several spartan III's to onyx, joined the Burning Wolves by choice)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I'm getting mine still?

Also, ITS AMAZING!

im tossin around the idea of givin this book to everyone on here once i complete it~ im hoping it will build a fan base who would be interested in future books id make and answering ur question directly yes U get ur copy once ive made it possibly everyone might get a free copy but there will be differences in content and cover depending on who it is :X such as the first 5 who jumped on get something special, u get the one with all of the chars, each of my clan members gets the version with just their character as the cover, etc etc so

Post chur opinions ppl! looking for thoughts on the free copy thing~

• Like 1

Great read. I really enjoyed reading it even though I don't play Halo. Haha I remember the family name for the main character, you used it for your online family. It's cool seeing the reference to your halo guild too. Good luck writing the rest of the story. I'm looking forward to when you release the rest of your book, I'm sure you make both your guild and your family proud ;D

./follows

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unable to fully decide whether to release this book in monthly or biweekly segments in an almost comicbook-like style on here, or two actual books, but the people who had legendary and herioc editions of this will still recieve their extra content as soon as i remember who all is who~ ^-^; sorry i have bad memory... Please post thoughts on how this should be released and in the meantime enjoy the opening of the book...

They’ll Regret That too…

The Longsword slowly descended through the dust filled air and landed on a field of ashes. The ramp on the back lowered, and a man in a heavy suit slowly made his way down the ramp.

As he stepped into the ashes at the bottom of the ramp, he sank at least a foot into them with the heavy boot of his hazmat gear.

Grunting with effort he slowly began wading his way through the ashes with a small electronic box beeping at regular intervals in front of him. As he walked, the beeping increased in pace.

As the box began to beep at a feverish level, he reached down and began moving his hand around in the ashes in front of himself.

He grabbed hold of a solid object in the pile of ashes and pulled out a modified Mjolnir Mark 6 spartan helmet which had a massive gap down the front of it where a plasma sword had apparently bisected it. The com unit on the side had a small light which flashed green at regular intervals. The man plugged a wire into the com unit and slowly connected the other end to his helmet.

A voice began to play in the speakers of his helmet, “To any UNSC personnel listening, you are now standing on the final resting place of the Burning Wolves. I am Kaatisu, Sierra-081...If you are listening to this it means we successfully destroyed the Covenant invasion force. The audio logs in this unit contain the last messages of several hundred ex-UNSC personnel to their families. Please be sure each log reaches its proper location,” a burst of gunfire filled the speaker, “I will set this message to repeat, to anyone listening…we gave em as much hell as we could before we kicked off...”

On a sidenote, I believe i might put pieces of the book biweekly or monthly on here, and then put it all together as a book which will have extra content varrying in ammount based on who had which level of the book (normal, herioc, legendary).

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided on a posting segments on here and leaving out small pieces of info which will be added to the herioc and legendary versions~ unfortunetly I do not have "Fall of Reach" yet so I cannot make chapter 2 of the book so I will be posting chapter 3 today instead~! (While avoiding coffee wielding wolfies~!) so without further delay~

Desert Ghosts

The dust of the convoy in the distance could be easily seen from the hill where Kaatisu quietly lay. He carefully readjusted a part of the ghille suit to cover the black metal of his spartan armor and pushed a button on the pad on his lower arm. A light on the pad blinked a response, and Kaatisu quickly lined up his DMR slowly scoping in on the convoy. A group of marines were cautiously scanning the surrounding area from the seats in the back of the modified Hog at the lead of the convoy, a second Hog followed with a large container-like back, and a third Hog brought up the rear with a anti-personnel machine gun manned by a highly cautious marine who kept the gun rotating as he scanned all directions. The light on Kaatisu’s wrist blinked twice slowly, and Kaatisu quickly polarized his helmet to shield his eyes as several concealed explosives went off on either side of the road. The mines normally would have destroyed the Hogs at this close of range and in this number, but they had been modified to only cause a blinding flash. The effect was instantaneous as the Warthogs screeched to a stop and the marines all dove to the bed of the Warthogs or out completely clutching their helmets. A strange bush-like figure rose from the ditch close to the middle Hog and ran towards it. From where Kaatisu crouched he could hear the metal door, which had been installed to keep the driver secure on this modified Hog, screeching as it was wrenched off of the vehicle. The driver could be seen flying out into the ditch, and the Hog turned and began racing over the rough terrain in a direction that would bring it near the hill Kaatisu was hiding. The marine on the turret of the third Hog had shaken off the effects of the over-sized flashbang at this point and began firing at the rogue Warthog, as all the marines rushed back to their seats in the two remaining Hogs. The two Hogs then began pursuing the rogue Warthog as the marines in the back screamed various directions at the drivers and expletives at the car-jacker currently speeding away with the weapons they were assigned to deliver. Kaatisu carefully lined up his DMR and began firing at the lead Warthog. The first six bullets pinged off its armor, but the seventh successfully penetrated a vital part of the engine and brought to the Hog to a smoking stop. The second Warthog was quickly catching up to the delivery Hog and the marine on the back was clearly not one to conserve ammo as hundreds of shells left a trail behind the speeding Hog. At this point the two Hogs had passed his position and Kaatisu could see over the shoulder of the driver of the pursuing Hog. Carefully aiming, 081 put a bullet directly into the steering column of the Hog causing it to veer off course and into a large ditch. The delivery Hog then slowly circled back to the hill as the marines began chasing it on foot and trying to get a shot on the driver with their MA5B’s. Kaatisu grabbed up the additional clips of ammo he had left on the ground and began sprinting downhill just as the Hog pulled up. The door flew off after being kicked from inside the Hog, and Kaatisu lunged into the passenger seat. Spartan 022 slammed the gas down as soon as 081 was in and the Hog shot forward to a marker that suddenly had appeared on the spartans’ HUDs. Hearing a strange noise growing louder behind the vehicle, Kaatisu leaned outside the vehicle and noticed two large aerial gunships following very closely behind them. Leaning back into the car he motioned to 022 and tapped the side of his helmet. A light on his HUD turned from red to green indicating Kyla had understood and turned her com system back on. “We’ve got Falcons on our six,” Kaatisu informed her. Almost as if the gunners of the Falcons wished to prove him correct, a hail of bullets began to ping off the armored roof of the Hog. “Response unit?” 022 asked. “No, I think this was an overwatch that they kept a ways behind the convoy to make sure nothing snuck up on em,” Kaatisu responded as he reloaded his DMR. “Don’t suppose you could ask them nicely to leave?” Kyla joked as the bullets continued to pound the roof. Sighing, Kaatisu slowly leaned back out the vehicle with his DMR but quickly ducked back in as a hail of bullets rained past the door. “They are REALLY pissed…” Kaatisu mumbled as he fumbled with the pad on his arm. “Pack-lead, this is Wolf-1. We are en-route with the package but are sustaining heavy fire from two highly trigger-happy flyboys. Please advise, over.” There was a long pause filled with only radio static and the sound of bullets thudding against the roof. Suddenly, a large gunship came into view. It was jet-black and had a rebel emblem painted quite carelessly on the side. It had several modifications made to it that made it distinct from other Pelican dropships. The first was the noticeable missile pods hard-mounted on the roof and currently aimed at the two small Falcons flying directly at it. The Falcon pilots clearly decided their ships were not worth the weapons in the Warthog and broke off pursuit. The Pelican then lowered itself and the door at its back opened to reveal that the seats that normal Pelicans had to transport troops had been removed to allow a vehicle to comfortably fit in the Pelican’s bay. Driving in, the hatch was shut behind the spartans, and the Pelican’s engines roared as it lifted an armored Warthog loaded with weapons and two fully armored spartans into the atmosphere. Kyla punched Kaatisu on the shoulder, “By the way, nice shooting slick. Those guys were getting pretty close there.” Kaatisu grunted a response as the Pelican flew into the hanger of the cruiser Hell Hound. “What’s wrong Kaat?” 022 asked, resting a hand on Kaatisu’s back. 081 pulled his helmet off and Kyla followed suit. Turning, Kaatisu said, “These raids are doing absolutely nothing. While we stock up stolen weapons, absolutely no one attacks us and we don’t attack them. It’s useless…” A grin slowly spread across Kyla’s face, and she leaned over and put her forehead gently against Kaatisu’s cheek. “You’re still thinkin about stealing the cruiser and jumping into the fight huh?” The hatch of the pelican popped open, and the spartans quickly put their helmet back on and began backing the Hog out of the Pelican. They stepped out as soon as they had parked the Hog a few feet out of the Pelican and were greeted by a group of rebels who ran up to the hog and began attempting to pry the back open. An arc welder was produced, and they set to work cutting a hole in the back of the Hog’s container. As soon as the newly made door had fallen off onto the floor, a rebel jumped up into the Hog and began shoving large containers of armor piercing bullets out of the Hog to the other rebels waiting outside. After they had left the room and walked down the hallway for a while, Kyla turned to Kaatisu and asked, “Doesn’t it seem kind of strange that the last few runs have been nothing but armor piercing munitions? It’s like they’re planning on fighting a group of tanks…” “Just hope it’s not marine tanks…” Kaatisu noted quietly as they reached a large cryo bay.

Spartan 003 slowly spun a knife around in his hand and glared first at Kyla, then turned it for a more prolonged period on Kaatisu before stating, “I didn’t know we were gonna be breaking in newbies this run…” Kaatisu began to move toward him, but Kyla quickly shoved an arm in front of him. Chris smirked slightly, but was smacked in the back of the head by a second spartan that had walked up behind him. “Manners, sergeant. Hi, I’m Trey, spartan 041, leader of Pack-2. I assume you’re Wolf-1?” the second spartan said quietly as he reached out his hand to Kyla. Quickly shaking his hand Kyla motioned to 081 and embarrassedly mumbled, “Actually, I’m Wolf-2…He’s Wolf-1.” Kaatisu slowly reached out his hand, slightly glaring at the newcomer. Noticing the captain’s bars on Kaatisu’s armor, Trey quickly and sheepishly clasped his hand and said, “Sorry, sir. The higher-ups were very secretive as to the identities of the people that were going to be joining our squad for this run.” “No problem lieutenant, just be sure to keep your men in line…” Kaatisu mumbled with a purposeful glance in the direction of the spartan still twirling his knife over on the stack of ammo crates by the pelican.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter four~! Just in time for Christmas~! Merry Christmas fellow 343'ians~! 8D and a shoutout to the epic members who have been talking with me and making all this possible~ Sykowolf firstly (Hugs for my epic fellow wolfy~! [puts on coffee proof suit while hugging]) Cheese also who is an epic friend~! (biiiiiig hug for her) Azaxx who just makes things more epic by being himself~ Payne for his slightly dark sense of humor but definate good intentions~ GSD for helping shoot up the nubs who would have otherwise thought themselves superior whilst multiteaming me extremely~ and also a major shoutout for my clan who was cool to the end and several of whom are best buddies of mine for life~ and if i missed anyone I'm sorry punch me later~!

Contact

The pelican slowly dropped through the UNSC-controlled colony’s atmosphere. Inside, five spartans in black armor slowly cleaned and readied their weapons in complete silence. The pelican’s interior lights shut off and were replaced by an eerie red glowing warning light. A soldier at the back of the pelican held up three fingers, and all of the spartans quickly put their weapons back together and grabbed their gear. The soldier began to slowly count down on his fingers and as he reached one the spartans were lined up and prepared to exit the ship. The glow turned from red to green and the ramp began to slowly drop. The soldier at the back of the pelican began quickly motioning the spartans to go and gave them each a push on the back as they jumped out of the pelican. Kaatisu suddenly found himself spinning uncontrollably in a pitch black sky. He slowly brought himself into a spread-eagle position and checked his coordinates on the data-pad connected to his armor’s wrist. They were all exactly on target for the LZ and would hopefully reach the ground undetected. One of the meters on his data-pad began to blink red, and he quickly maneuvered to bring his legs underneath him and locked his armor up. Some sort of structure lunged out of the darkness at him as he fell, and he crashed through its roof before slamming into something much softer than the ground that he assumed he’d be landing on. Unlocking his armor, 081 jumped up and quickly unslung his MA5B. Scanning the room, he found himself to be standing in what appeared to be a barn on top of a pile of hay. A crash nearby him made him spin around, and he saw spartan 009 slowly get up from another nearby pile and pull out a DMR. Nodding at her, Kaatisu turned and began to move quickly towards the barn door where he slowly opened it and looked out. A man, still wearing what appeared to be pajamas, was running towards the barn carrying an old M-90 shotgun. Slowly reclosing the door, Kaatisu turned and silently motioned towards a door at the side of the barn. 009 nodded and began to slowly open the door. Kaatisu quietly barred the front door of the barn and moved to follow 009 out the side door. As they made their way to the woods, Kaatisu heard a shot. Quickly spinning around he expected to see the farmer right behind them shooting randomly but came to the realization that the farmer had been shooting the barn door to gain entrance. Reaching the woods 081 turned around just long enough to see the farmer come crashing out the side door of the barn and begin looking around for the intruder he believed had invaded his barn.

Working their way through the woods towards a small marker on their HUD’s, 081 and 009 met up with the rest of the squad somewhere deeper in the woods. 022 made a quick handsign to Kaatisu to indicate she was glad that he was ok. 003 was sitting on a rock nearby and was quick to comment, “Took you long enough to get here.” Ignoring the attack, Kaat signed back at Kyla and proceeded over to Trey. “How far out from the target?” he growled. “We dropped down 5 clicks south of it,” Trey replied, looking up from the datapad on his wrist. “Alright,” Kaat said as he faced the squad, “spread out, stay low, and only engage if absolutely necessary.” The group disappeared into the brush in different directions without a sound and was swallowed up by the night. Several minutes later, as he was making his way through the thick shrubbery, a light on Kaat’s wrist pad lit up indicating that Kyla had found something. Cutting through the woods to her marker, Kaatisu found Kyla crouched behind a small embankment observing a well-lit outpost. Crawling up next to her quietly, Kaat zoomed in on the walls of the fortification with his faceplate. As the rest of the squad began to arrive Kaatisu highlighted two guard towers for the squad to see. A third marker appeared on a badly lit piece of wall near them as Trey’s voice broke through the silence on the com, “That spot looks like our best bet.” Kaat nodded to him, “Nice catch,” turning to the rest of the squad for a second he looked them over as they readied their weapons. This whole situation felt wrong to him. The chances of several marines losing their lives for whatever intel Kaat’s squad was here to collect were impossibly high to the point of being almost an assured fact. Pausing for a few seconds to ponder this thought, Kaat motioned to the squad. “Alright, let’s do this,” he murmured as they moved down the slope toward the unlit piece of wall. Reaching it, Kaat dropped down to his knee to boost each team member over the wall. Kyla reached the wall second and, without pausing, jumped off Kaat’s hands, grabbed the wall, and pulled herself up in a single motion. Turning around, she reached down to assist each member of the squad off of Kaat’s hands and up over the wall. Once he had helped each of them over, Kaatisu turned and, lunging upwards, grabbed Kyla’s outstretched hand and the top edge of the wall and hoisted himself up with Kyla’s assistance. They jumped down on the other side and ducked down in the shadows against the wall. Quickly looking around, Kaat motioned toward a building with a large telescope protruding from the roof, “We should find the intel somewhere inside that building if the source was correct.”

Trey glanced over at the building, “How heavily guarded will it be?” Kaat stared intently at the door of the building which was on a side facing away from the main courtyard of the complex slightly concealed in shadows. “Hopefully, it’s only lightly guarded, for their sake and ours.” He moved down the wall in a crouched stance towards the front of the building. Once they had all reached the building Kaat motioned to Chris and tapped the wall lightly with his index finger. Chris quickly reached into a bag on his leg and pulled out a small, gun-like object with a box-shaped casing on the top of it. Placing the object to the wall he pulled the trigger and rolled the box in a wide 180 degree turn from left to right. Staring at the wall, Chris whispered into the com, “Five targets, spread around the room, all at the main room though, the rest of the place is empty,” he finished as he shoved the item back in its bag. Kaat moved towards the door, and the rest of the squad slowly followed one at a time. As he neared the door he could feel his adrenaline coursing and his training quickly taking over control of his body. Standing up in front of the door, he backed up and glanced at Trey and Kyla on either side of the door. They both nodded, and Kaat drew back and lunged forward kicking the door with full force. The door flew into the room and crashed into the opposing wall; Kaat walked in directly behind it and without hesitating shot a man who was standing up from the table in the middle of the room. Trey walked in behind him and shot a man on the left who was drawing a gun. Kyla walked in and shot a third man who was standing in shock with his hand rested on a gun at his side, and Chris walked in directly behind her, throwing a knife over her shoulder and into the head of a man who was just turning around from a coffee machine on the other side of the room. Standing in the suddenly silent, yet chaotically destroyed room, Kaat slowly regained control of himself. Jeanine had moved across the room, inserted a small chip into the terminal there, and began typing rapidly on the keyboard. The rest of the team began to scan the room. The door slowly moved with a scraping noise and a low moan came from beneath it. Turning Kaat drew his sidearm and pointed it into the face of a wounded man who was slowly climbing out from under the door, another marine, another threat, another enemy. Kaat knew this man had to be killed, but he hesitated. The man was wounded, his arm pinned beneath the door. “What are you waiting for?” a sneering voice said behind him. Glancing over his shoulder he saw Chris, Kyla, and Trey had all drawn their weapons and aimed them at the man. Looking back at the man, who had freed one of his hands at this point and held it up in front of his face defensively, Kaat noticed a ring on the man’s hand. He had this strange feeling he remembered it from somewhere a long time ago, from before he had been kidnapped as a child. A voice, a hand, and that ring were slowly coming back to him from some past memory he couldn’t quite fully recall. Trey kept glancing between the man and Kaat, “Sir?” Kyla had slightly lowered her weapon, “Kaat….” she murmured hesitantly.

Chris shook his head in annoyance and shoved past Kyla, “I’LL do it!” he said in disgust. Kaat shoved an arm in front of him, “No! Get outside and watch for any guards, we’ll take care of-” An un-silenced gunshot rang through the room.

Major Payne sat quietly in the room waiting for the lieutenant to return with the record of the image the telescope on the base had captured. He had been wondering what such a remote base had caught a glimpse of that ONI had seen fit to send him out with such short notice to acquire. Once he reached the base however he quickly realized the importance of the item when he heard several marines whispering about some sort of alien ship shaped like a planet. He had quickly reprimanded the marines’ CO about this breach in the security of the intel before the man had hurriedly rushed off to gather the data for him. The marines in the room around him sat in complete silence, staring with terrified looks at what they had now come to realize was an ONI spook. Payne had used to be an ODST before ONI had gotten a hold of him and he carried a great many scars as reminders of past conflicts. The marines stared mainly at these scars as Payne sat stiffly in his uniform waiting for the lieutenant to return, while purposefully ignoring the gawking marines. Suddenly a gunshot was heard distantly and Payne instantly made his way across the room while the marines continued to stare in shock.

Spinning around, Kaat leveled his gun on another wounded man on the floor who had a pistol aimed at Jeanine. He had already fired once and the bullet and slammed uselessly into the imitation-Mjolnir which Jeanine was wearing. The marine cursed and empty the rest of the clip into Kaat who was thudding his way across the room towards the man. Reaching the marine, Kaat wrenched the pistol from his hand and, hitting him with the butt of the gun, effectively knocked the man unconscious. Turning to the team who were all staring, he motioned to Jeanine, “You ok?” She nodded and continued typing onto the keyboard of the console. Chris's voice suddenly came over the coms before Kaat even realized he had left to check outside, “Might wanna hurry, those last few gunshots got some attention...” Kaat heard a rocket fire outside as Chris began to yell into the mic, “They mean business!!!” An explosion rocked the building, and Chris flew in through the front door with several pounds of gravel and some pieces of doorway. Slamming onto the ground with some smoke pouring off of his armor, Chris jumped up and starting yelling incoherently. Kyla grabbed a table from across the room and pushed it on its side in front of the door before she and Kaat shoved what appeared to be some type of refrigerator against it. Turning from this hastily assembled fortification, Kaat nearly ran into Chris who was still recovering from being nearly directly hit by a rocket. Chris stabilized himself on Kaat's shoulder before yelling, “There's about twelve of them! Three rockets! The rest with MA5B's! Except one was lugging some type of huge friggin supressive weapon!” Kaat nodded and started to rush over to Jeanine when Trey yelled, “Sir! There’s something on the security cameras I think you should see!” Rushing over, Kaat quickly looked at each of the screens. The first screen he noticed was a camera which showed a building directly across the way. There were five marines on the roof, two of which had SPNKr missiles aimed at the front of the building he currently occupied with his team. “Where’s the rest of them…?” he mumbled to no one in particular. “What the hell…” an awestruck voice stated over his shoulder. Looking behind himself, Kaat saw Chris gaping at one of the monitors. Turning back around he saw Trey and the others were also fixated on the same screen before he noticed why. On the screen, a large bulbous ship was landing outside the facility and the marines were all preparing their weapons while hiding behind a fortification directly next to where the ship was hovering. “That is definitely not human…” Trey murmured as the squad stared at the screen. “Covenant…” Kaat nearly whispered as he backed away from the monitors, “this severely ****s up our game plan…” Kyla tilted her head, “We’ve never seen Covies before. How can you be sure that’s what this is..?” As the pop of distant assault rifles firing began Kaat replied, “Because that’s all this could be.”

Kewe ‘Azwetee watched as the grunts checked each other’s breathing apparatus. The creatures were highly uncoordinated and would most likely prove only a burden in his coming battle. He wished that the prophets had seen fit to at least send a company of jackals or perhaps a hunter pair with him to increase his chances of victory, but quickly corrected himself. Hunter pairs were meant only for missions of extreme danger, the humans he was about to face were weak and would most likely run at the site of this small squad of grunts armed with fuelrod cannons. He quietly chuckled to himself, the creatures may not be great warriors, but, give a weak creature a heavy weapon and send it in great numbers, and you might as well have sent in several hunter pairs. The dropship slowed and he watched the first wave of grunts slowly drop on the lifts making insane, high pitched squeals that suicide units normally emitted as they descended.

Gunshots, explosions, some type of chirping blasts that Kaat assumed were Covenant weapons continued to be heard through the walls. The whole team stood around the room silently listening for several seconds while watching the marines on the security cameras. The marines on the roof across the way nervously kept looking over in the direction of the gunfire. One of them motioned to the others and after they had gathered into a small huddle the marine who had gathered them hefted his launcher around while motioning towards the building that Kaat and his team were hiding in. “I imagine we’re about to get a little shaken up…” Kaat mumbled as he watched. Trey leaned over, “Brace or evac?” Counting the spare rocket rounds on the roof with the marines, Kaat replied, “Evac…definitely evac…” Turning to Jeanine, Kaat asked, “Do we have it?” She nodded, and, tightening his rifle onto his shoulder, Kaat turned to the rest of the squad, “Stay tight on my six.” Sprinting across the room and into the hallway behind it, Kaat lowered his shoulder and plowed straight through the wall with the rest of the team behind him as the front of the building was hit by three sets of rockets. Flames and shrapnel ripped into the hallway behind them and partially out of the newly created doorway as wild whoops and screeches were heard from the roof as more rockets were fired. Listening to the racket while safely out of the building, Chris slowly nodded, “Trigger happy farmer hicks, that’s what we’re being shot at by right now. Lovely!” This last yell was punctuated by a whole section of the building’s wall collapsing away from the barrage. The wall came down with a thunderous crash and a small spotlight pierced through the smoke. Stopping on Trey, who was now partially out of cover, the light heralded the wild screeches of the men on the roof and, as Trey dived the rest of the way into cover, several dozen bullets roared from a light machine gun on the roof across the way and tore up the dirt where he had been standing only seconds before. As the light machine gun continued to rain fire down on them one of the outer walls of the compound exploded in green flames and a small group of hunched figures waddled through the opening as the masks on their face glowed unnatural colors into the pitch black night. Yelling several strange sounds, one of them launched a green round from a shoulder fired weapon at the roof occupied by the marines. The compound was temporarily lit green and orange by the resulting explosion and the marine gripping what Kaat assumed was the light machine gun flew through the air, landing in pieces a few feet from the team. The squad was all frozen staring at the smoldering corpse and, looking up, noticed that the group of small creatures had also frozen staring at the spartans. One of the creatures lifted its alien bazooka and took aim at the squad, and all of the spartans immediately drew their weapons and fired. The squad of hunched creatures twitched and stumbled under the firing squad of pistols, DMR’s, and assault rifles. After the last alien had been dispatched, Kyla walked over and hefted the LMG. It looked like an assault rifle with an elongated barrel and a strangely shaped green box on the bottom containing the ammunition. “This should come in handy,” she stated in a pleased voice as she examined the weapon. Looking past her, Kaat noticed a strange shimmering in the air at the gap in the wall. It looked like a cloud of steam, and Kaat at first wrote it off as a broken pipe. The shimmering motion had taken a humanoid shape however and Kaat slowly moved past Kyla in the most unintentional way possible as he quietly readied the grenade launcher on his assault rifle. He quickly leveled it on the gap and fired. The round landed just short of the opening, but the resulting shrapnel revealed a shimmering white figure that he could see right through. The creature was massive, and it bellowed in rage as it thundered away from the opening. The white silhouette around it shined brightly with electrical current running across the surface of the light. “What the hell was that…” Trey whispered as the creature lumbered towards the alien ship and disappeared part way there as the lights surrounding it faded.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hallo people~! :D I am semi-back from a very busy busy time in which I had to put aside my work on this story for a bit...so this fresher stuff might be a bit...bleh, but bear with me~! I will now reveal some background story as I put up a somewhat in-need-of-editing chapter 2~! Another more futurish chapter coming up very soon~!

A Fresh Start

The drill sergeant’s fist slammed into Kaat’s face with enough force to throw him to the ground a few feet away. “I said look me in the eyes when I’m talking to you, you ****faced maggot! Now get back on your feet and back in ranks before I come over there and personally kick the living **** out of you!” Slowly standing up, Kaat spit blood out the side of his mouth and got back into line with the other kids. He felt blood trickling down from his nose but didn’t bother to wipe any away. Life had changed for him now; he accepted and even embraced that fact. His easygoing nature had allowed him to adapt to this change smoothly, a quality which had gained the attention of some higher-ups and successfully aggravated almost every drill sergeant who worked with him, except for one.

The firing range was his favorite place during training because of that one drill instructor, who had insisted he call her Lucy and spent large amounts of time personally assisting him with his accuracy. Whenever she talked to him it was almost like she knew him before they had even met. It was strange and yet somehow comforting to him. She always talked to him almost as if he was her little brother. While at the firing range Kaatisu also noticed a girl named Linda who practiced almost nonstop. He liked watching her, a fact which was picked up on by another spartan named Kurt. Kaatisu didn’t like talking much, but Kurt quickly made up for that with the amount of teasing he put Kaat through about his interest in Linda. Kurt quickly made friends with Kaat in this way and the two were almost inseparable.

Out of the other kids in the camp Kaat only made note of Kurt and one other. There was one kid in the camp who always seemed to think of himself as better than all the rest of them. He was always bullying the other kids and taking their food when they weren't looking. Kaat had made a mental note of this kids face and swore he would get him back some day. This day came sooner than expected when on one of the training exercises, Kurt got a funny feeling and had warned them of an ambush the other kid had set up for them. Kaat got a few punches in on the kid when they counter ambushed the boy's team and felt a certain sense of satisfaction at the idea that he had just dealt justice on the boy for all the other kids back at the base. He returned that night with a half smile on his face beneath the large bruise which had formed over his eye. A few days later he was in hand to hand combat training when a large unshaven man with a tattoo of a flaming skull began to walk over, “Hey kid, your moves suck, oughta quit now and leave the fighting to the professionals!” Kaat ignored the man and continued sparring with his partner. The man turned around and shrugged at a group of individuals behind him who were all wearing the same tattoo. “Kick his ***, Joe,” the one laughed. The man turned back around and walked even closer to Kaat, “You deaf son? I'm talking to you!” Kaat continued to ignore the man.

A ways away, Sgt. Payne stood with an ODST recruit who had a rhino painted on his chestplate and an ONI scientist. Repositioning his shades on his nose, he turned to the scientist. “This is the subject who decked Halsey's pet? He doesn't look like much.” The scientist glanced over at Payne for a brief second before looking back down at a data pad he had been furiously typing on, “'Decked'” is hardly the appropriate term, sergeant. The subject landed three or four hits before 117 finished the fight...” Payne smirked before looking back over at Kaat and murmuring over his shoulder at the recruit, “I have ten on the corporal.”

Meanwhile, the ODST who had been becoming ever increasingly aggravated at Kaat's non-responsiveness, had grabbed Kaat by the shoulder and was in the process of spinning Kaat to face him when Kaat threw a move that sent the ODST crashing to the ground on his back. The man stood up and attempted to run at Kaat again, swinging his fists wildly. Staring disinterestedly, Kaat sidestepped and slugged the man in his gut, folding him in half. The man collapsed and his friends were just about to rush Kaat but the fight was broken up by a group of guards and ONI scientists. Turning, Kaat noticed one of the ODST's with a rhino painted on his chestplate had managed to break through the surrounding chaos and was making his way towards Kaat. Striking quickly towards the mans chest, he watched as the ODST simply sidestepped the blow and threw a counter punch of his own. He caught the counterpunch and threw a kick up at the man's ribs. The ODST dodged away from the kick sideways while continuing to hold onto Kaat's arm.The ODST regained his balance and twisted on Kaat's arm in an attempt to bring him down, but Kaat countered the move and was about to finish the fight off with a punch when he was pulled away from the ODST by a pair of guards as the ODST was held back by two other ODSTs. Kaat relaxed, the fight was over. He had shown the ODST's they wouldn't be able to beat him even in greater numbers. Meanwhile the last ODST who had attacked him was being held back by a group of his friends who Kaat heard calling the nameless recruit “T.J.” Kaat made a mental note of the name as he watched an ODST sergeant with a large scar over his lip and a set of dark sunglasses approached the recruit with a smile on his face and, placing a hand on the recruit's shoulder, whispered something in his ear before patting his shoulder and walking away. Strangely, the recruit relaxed and shrugging off his friends quietly walked away as well. Kaat felt like he could take on the world after that day. He felt like he was ready for anything, until one day he found himself strapped down with strange substances being injected into him. He remembered seeing Lucy there comforting him, just before everything went black. The last things he heard were voices screaming about some sort of “reaction” to one of the injections. Everything sounded muffled, he wondered slowly to himself if he was dying, and then, everything stopped.

He woke up in the dark. He couldn't see anything even inches in front of his face. He felt around him and came to the realization he was inside of a metalic box. The box was very form fitting, almost like... The thought which followed sent chills down his spine. He almost believed that he was dead, until he heard voice outside the box and the lid began to be pried off. Kaat readied himself and lunged out as soon as the lid was off. He expected a training exercise, and was rewarded with the sight of several men in uniforms bearing the symbol of a group he had been taught to hate. Rebels, enemies of the UNSC, one of the groups of men he had been taught to fight. As he examined the surrounding area, he felt something strike him in the back and a surge of electricity shooting through his body. As he fell to the ground and everything faded out yet again, he noticed more of the boxes similar to the one he had just been broken out of, all with their lids still on. He counted six just before they sent another electrical surge into him and he collapsed completely.

Waking up in a small cell, Kaat examined the area thoroughly. There was a barred viewing port directly above the cell and a guard stood with a man Kaat recognized as General Graves. A leader of a large group of rebels, Graves was a target the UNSC had wanted desperately, and now Kaat was only a few feet away, separated only by a set of small metal bars. The man stared down at Kaat like a big-game hunter staring gloatingly at his prey as he spoke with the guard next to him, “We paid so much money for these children and only five of the six we paid for arrive in one piece... Those idiots had better hope these five live up to expectations, and that they will take the reeducation.” The man,crouching down onto the bars, continued to stare down at Kaat and blew some smoke from his cigar into the cell, “You're going to save humanity all right... from itself.”

Chapter 5 to make up for previously missing uploading chapters.

Alliances

The trip back to the ship was silent, with only the dulled roar of the engines and the rumbling of the ship making its way through the atmosphere with an occasional scraping sound as Trey sharpened a knife and the barely audible clicking as Jeanine sorted her electronic and medical kits. Looking around the rest of the cabin, Kaat saw Kyla resting closer to the front of the ship and Chris painting a skull on the front of his helmet with the severed fingers of one of the smaller Covenant they had taken the trouble to drag back to the ship. Rolling his eyes, Kaat pulled up a picture on his visor of the invisible creature they had fought. They had only found a few droplets of the creature’s blue blood on the rubble of the wall. He had landed a grenade round near the thing and had only managed to give it a small cut. He stared intently at the silhouette wondering what the camouflage concealed beneath it. Suddenly, the pilot’s voice broke through his thoughts, “Sir, you have new orders from back home. General Graves wants you to make contact with a group of Innies on the way back, thinks they might have some material of interest.” A small readout popped up on the other side of Kaat’s visor and expanded as he looked at it. As the pilot closed the channel, Kaat whispered to himself, “More nukes..? Why have we been gathering this much material...who are we going to use it on…and most importantly, how did Innies get their hands on something this big..?” Closing the document, Kaat looked again at the other occupants of the pelican’s compartment and quietly wondered if this small group could hold out against not only the UNSC, but the Covenant and their own current forces if necessary. It was hopeless odds, but they were spartans after all, or had been. Just maybe there was a way out. Just maybe they could survive.

The pelican was moving far too slowly through the antiaircraft fire for Kaatisu’s tastes. Several rounds had exploded directly behind the pelican’s open hatch already, the shrapnel flaring up the shields of the five spartans as they waited. Standing up, Kaat walked to the back and leaned out on the machine gun mounted on the ceiling of the troop bay. Beneath, war torn buildings flew past filled with insurrectionists and marines firing at each other from cover. Opening a com up to the pilot, Kaat said, “Pickup will be five clicks west of here. I don’t wanna catch a round on the way out.” The pilot responded in a much more frantic voice as he wrestled with the controls, “Roger that!” The pelican set down in a completely destroyed street. As the other four thundered down the ramp, Kaat examined the buildings around him. There were bullet and shell holes in the walls around him and the roofs were missing completely on most of the buildings. “Eyes up!” Trey yelled as he threw his rifle to his shoulder and aimed up at the second floor of a building on their left. Kaat saw a small child aiming an outdated gun down at them as the rest of the squad aimed up at the buildings around them. The sound of weapons being readied inside the buildings filled the air, and a man stepped out of one of the least damaged buildings a few yards away. He walked towards the squad with his arms folded behind his back. The man’s slicked back, black hair and large, unsettling grin somehow reminded Kaat of a snake. The man came to a stop a few feet in front of Kaat, “Nice suit, I doubt it’d do you any good right now though. So, how did you end up on my street?”

“We walked down from the sky to visit you mortal. How the **** do you think we got here?” Chris replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm as he kept his rifle trained on the second floor. The man spun around and pulled a pistol from behind his back, aiming it up into Chris’ face. Kaat drew at the same time and jammed the barrel of his pistol into the back of the man’s head. “Bad idea. We’re here under orders from General Graves to talk to your leader, now remove your gun from the sergeants face before he removes it and takes your arm with it,” Kaat stated quietly. The man sneered over his shoulder, “In case you haven’t noticed you’re outgunned, and I will decide whether you’re telling the truth or if you’re spies for the UNSC!” This last statement was punctuated by him cocking the pistol he held up to Chris’ visor. In a blur of movement, Chris wrenched the man’s arm sideways and grabbed him by the neck, jamming his rifle into the man’s ear. The pistol had fallen to the ground and the man screamed as his now broken arm flopped at his side. “Can’t say he didn’t warn you, but it seems you have trouble hearing…Want me to fix that?” Chris asked as he pressed the gun further into the side of the man’s head. Kaat picked up the revolver the man had dropped, “Pretty old gun,” he remarked, turning the gun over in his hands. Chris released the man’s neck long enough to rip a belt with a pair of holsters and a second revolver off the man’s waist from under his jacket. “Matching set,” he yelled as he threw it to Kaat grabbed the man by the neck again. “Alright, let’s go see your boss,” Kaat said as he stuffed the revolvers into a bag on his hip. “Not happening,” the man growled as he gritted his teeth in pain. Sighing in annoyance, Kaat motioned towards the building the man had immerged from, and the squad moved towards it, with Chris dragging their unwilling and now loudly protesting hostage. Reaching the door, Kaat held an arm up and turned to Kyla, “Ladies first?” Kyla nodded and kicked the door in as Kaat aimed his rifle at the door. They both stormed through into the room before the door had even fully hit the floor. “Guess no one heard me knock,” Kyla said as they scanned the empty room. Kaat moved towards a door at the side of the room, and after Kyla popped the door open, Kaat ran into what appeared to be a stairway. Looking up, he saw two men aiming shotguns down at him from the top of the stairs. He aimed his assault rifle up at them as Kyla stepped in next to him and, dropping down to a knee, aimed up at the men as well. A third man stepped out at the top of the stairs and, placing a hand on either of the other men’s shotguns, lowered them and motioned for Kaat to come upstairs. Lowering his weapon, Kaat walked up the steps with Kyla and the rest of the team following close behind. The men at the top of the stairs moved aside and held their shotguns down at an angle. Walking into the room at the top of the stairs, it was in complete contrast to the street outside. A large soft rug coated the floor, expensive painting hung from the walls, and a meticulously carved wooden desk sat at the opposing side of the room with a large cushioned chair behind it. A small teacup sat in the middle of the desk that the man who had lowered the others’ guns sat down behind. Looking around the room, four more guards stood around the room with shotguns at a relaxed stance. As Chris dragged the hostage into the room, the man jerked free, dashed across the room, and fell to his knees in front of the man behind the desk. He whimpered, “I’m sorry, Vance, I have failed you. These intruders overpowered me in a surprise attack and somehow knew exactly what building we were stationed in.” These last words were said with a glare over his shoulder as the man behind the desk calmly placed his cup back down on the table and, running a hand through his hair, rose from the desk and motioned to the cowering man to rise. “Stand, Knisley, our guests were expected. I simply didn’t inform you of them because I wanted to see what they were capable of. They are sent by General Graves who wishes to make an alliance with our forces.” The man who their ex-hostage had called “Vance” turned and faced the spartans then, “Beautifully done I might add, getting past not only the marine forces but my own guard. Moving on however, we do have the item you came for, and will be expecting shipments of ammunition to begin immediately. Consider us your brothers from now on.” Men walked in with cases marked with nuclear warning labels. “You're giving them our nuclear weapons?!” Knisley screeched in horror. “Yes, we don't have much use for them in our circumstance since we can't launch them from orbit, and I have no aspirations of being a martyr until I see our lords arrive.” Kaat tilted his head, “Your...lords...?” Vance turned at this question with a look of joy that Kaat thought did not appear fully sane, “YES! These advanced beings that the UNSC foolishly defies. We must be cleansed, and they will cleanse us with their holy fires!” He crossed the room and placed a hand on Kaat's shoulder, “This is our destiny, we must aid our masters, we must destroy the UNSC for its insolent rebellion against them.” Kaat stood staring for a moment, “Riiiight... well it was a pleasure doing business with you-” Before he could finish a man thundered up the stairs and into the room, “The heretics are here!” The words had barely exited the man's mouth before every guard in the room had emptied down the stairs. Vance motioned to Knisley, “The basement, we must ensure that the believers do not lose their way with our death.” Kaat watched as they went down the stairs before turning on a private com to the team, “We are dealing with people who aren't playing with a full deck now...” Chris responded back on the com, “What the hell did he mean, “heretics.”” Kyla had moved over to the stairs and was watching down them, “I don't know, but I'm guessing we don't wanna stick around to find out, so far this planet has been anything but hospitable.” Kaat spoke up, “You heard her boys, let's not get comfy now, everyone grab a handle on those crates. I'm on point.” They made their way down the stairs and noticed the front door had been placed back up but with a new addition: it was wired with several blocks of C4. “Well, looks like we gotta come up with a plan B..” Kaat murmured. “Do you ever leave a building by the front door?” Trey joked. “Not if I can help it,” Kaat said as he turned to face the back wall of the building.

T.J. brushed some dust off the rhino he had painted on his armor. He had only been here a few hours and he hated this planet already. It was like an ancient ruins from back on earth. All he could see was broken building, sand, and rubble. He wondered why they even bothered fighting over this place. The squad he had been assigned to had been sent in to eliminate some key rebels who had been holed up in some building on the outskirts of the “city.” He had a bad feeling about this one, but he stomached his concerns. They landed and moved down the street from multiple angles, the place was too quiet. As they stacked up on the door without a sound, the tension he felt had reached a peak level. The guy in front kicked the door and the next thing T.J. knew he was lying on his back, with the world spinning around him. The first thing he noticed was a loud ringing noise. Then he saw his visor had shattered. As he wondered why he slowly picked himself up. Another ODST ran over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. The man was saying something, but all that he heard was the ringing sound and some sort of muffled grunting sounds. Slowly the grunts became more intelligible, “YOU GOOD MAN?!” T.J. managed to put a thumb up and slowly stood himself back up. The stairs were covered in the first two ODST's who had been unlucky enough to have point. Several more ODST's had clambered up the stairs and into the room already while a few had stayed behind and were helping up three or four disoriented ODST's lying on the ground. One ODST was lying on the ground clutching a hole in his armor where a shard of the door had impaled him. He screamed as two other ODST's attempted to pry his hands away to apply a can of medical gel. T.J. stumbled his way over to a wall of the building and leaned against it. Prying his helmet off, he noticed movement in the alley next to him which lead to another alley behind the building. Turning, T.J. braced himself on the wall and made his way down the alley.

Kaat watched as each member of the group passed him through the newly-made door in the back of the building. After everyone had made it out and started to head down the alley toward the marker on their HUD's showing the location of the area where they would be picked up, Kaat followed. He heard a small shuffling sound behind him and spun around drawing his pistol. As he aimed in he noticed the person he was facing was an ODST, he then noticed the man had also aimed a pistol back at him, looking up he saw the man had removed his helmet and that his face was covered in cuts and blood, but the final thing he noticed shocked him entirely: the man had a rhino painted on his armor's chest plate. They stood for several seconds with their pistols aimed at eachother. T.J. reached up and wiped some blood from his eyes. Slowly Kaat backed down the alley, keeping his pistol trained on the ODST, and T.J., on the verge of fainting, stayed where he was but kept his gun trained on the heavily armored thing which he assumed was one of the spartans people had been whispering about lately. He had too many questions, “Why were spartans here? Why were they in a building he had been told was rebel controlled?” Other questions began to cloud his mind, but he knew he wouldn't be conscious long. Kaat had reached the end of the alley at this point and quickly holstered his pistol before retreating back out of sight of T.J., just as T.J. collapsed.

• 4 weeks later...

this is great work Wolfy. i am following and looking forward to later installments.

Thanks chu~ I just wish I knew if the people who originally followed it still cared anymore or didn't like the directions I been taking it or something. Seems for a while i was posting new segments and no one was responding or liking :X or even talking about it.

So ty for your input~