Update: Rule 1F and Off-Site Links

RedStarRocket91

This is an amazing update with clarity that was definitely needed, a suggestion though?

Mind plugging this into the 343iBot Auto Welcome PM with all the links to helpful rules and stuff so when people first arrive they can see it and don't get confused? Just think it'd help but up to you.

Again, fantastic update Red! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm not too sure about the YTVid one. Sometimes, it kindof spoils the video if you write out waht it is.

I think he means a breif idea of what it is like: "this is a forge map showcase, or this is a machinima." As long as you let the viewer know beforehand what they're watching it is fine. 

I'm not too sure about the YTVid one. Sometimes, it kindof spoils the video if you write out waht it is.

But for members who are accessing the site from a device that can't handle videos, it allows them to stay in the conversation easily. (Also, you could always just put it in a spoiler)

If it's a gameplay montage or a music video or a particularly funny gameplay clip, just saying so in one sentence would be enough. However, when it's something like a two or three minute long video of analysis, speculation, or opinion (five reasons why we need to bring back ranks, here's my reviews of the new DLC maps, here's what I think will be shown at E3, etc) then it's really not fair to shut people on mobile devices or with poor connections out of the discussion - and if someone really believes the content of their video is worth sharing, I'm sure they'd agree it's worth typing up to include as many people as possible. The only reason that wouldn't happen would be because they're fishing for views and frankly, the forums exist to give people a great place to discuss Halo, not to generate ad revenue.

• Like 2

Thank you for clarifying this Red, I personally was confused about the offsite link policy and I think quite a lot of other members were confused as well. Thank you for taking the time to post this up, otherwise I think I would of gotten into trouble at some point :). Good job Mod Team and well done Red :thumbsup:!

You may not link to other websites, including personal websites, YouTube channels or blogs, in lieu of post content or for the purposes of generating pageviews:

You may link off-site to images and videos, provided that:

• You link directly to the image or video in question, not just the web page it is on

You can't link just a video, you need some form of video player, which Youtube has.

Seems a bit silly to completely block all Youtube links...

What about SilverFrost's topic which was locked? -.-

A link to a personal clan website is absolutely fine. However, when we check that site and discover it's using IP.Board, is actively recruiting moderators, officers, a news group, an art department, a communications department,  (often using the same names and colours as our own), has discussion forums (on the same topics and with the same names as our own), a shoutbox, and threads inviting people to apply for staff positions - all with nothing to do with actual clan activities to be found, or any sense of clan hierarchy - then it's not a clan site, it's a forum, and the rules don't make an exception for those.

• Like 5

Can I link my Twitch streaming page in the Shoutbox when I start streaming some Titanfall or something?

I have done it a couple of times, I just want to make sure wether it's allowed or not.

Can I link my Twitch streaming page in the Shoutbox when I start streaming some Titanfall or something?

I have done it a couple of times, I just want to make sure wether it's allowed or not.

Twitch is a video service, so yes, that's fine. However if there's going to be any violence or bad language (whether by the players or in-game) you need to make that clear when you post the link.

Well... Titanfall is a FPS. And that's known to almost everybody. Do I still need to announce that someone might get blown up?

Even if you think its content is obvious, try to make it clear when advertising it. There's always a chance that someone hasn't heard of it or doesn't know what it's about, and we want people to have as much information as possible when deciding whether or not to watch a stream.

Watch the man behind the nut play titan fall here >>> [insert link] Don't forget to leave a message so I know you're there! Oh yeah... People might get blown up and stuff!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm a new member and trying to raise up the Halo community here in North Jersey and surrounding areas. Where, on this site, may I post our monthly events I am hosting to bring players together to commune, play and compete at our venue.

Thanks,

Johnny

Watch the man behind the nut play titan fall here >>> [insert link] Don't forget to leave a message so I know you're there! Oh yeah... People might get blown up and stuff!

This might be considered offensive though, my grandpa's cat has been blown up and stuff.

Rest in peace mr. Mittens

Hello, I'm a new member and trying to raise up the Halo community here in North Jersey and surrounding areas. Where, on this site, may I post our monthly events I am hosting to bring players together to commune, play and compete at our venue.

Thanks,

Johnny

This isn't really the correct place to post your question, Johnny, but since it's posted anyway, the best place would be the subforum that is built for inviting people to play: Game Invitations.

However, the community here isn't exactly supremely big, and many people aren't exactly anywhere near Jersey and it's surrounding areas. I, for example, live in China. This leaves a small number of people who a. Live near you and b. Read your message, and of those people, there are an infinite amount of factors that could prevent them from communing.

As such, I would suggest that you also posted invitations at other places - such as social networking sites, other Halo boards, and general Halo discussions on the web (For example, r/Halo on Reddit, or Halo Waypoint, which is 343 Industries' official forum and probably the largest populated Halo forum on the web.)