Frank O'Connor Speaks Out About Leaks

343 Industries' own Frank O'Connor, who's been with the team since it's start, has spoken out about leaks regarding games and their faults. 

Halo is a series well known by a large number of supposed leaks before a Halo game's launch, often revealing key points that would have otherwise been a surprise. Frank O'Connor, Halo's development director, took to NeoGaf.com to speak about leaks and the drastic problems they cause for developers, likely referring to the large number of recent Xbox related leaks and Halo leaks, but speaking about the Industry in general. He said, "Ultimately he [the leaker] is taking or being given information and leaking it, illegally and often erroneously. And he isn't doing it for some noble or worthy reason. He's doing it for attention." He also referred to it's proclamation as a prophecy, saying that it's "just annoying" and not assisting or helpful in any outcome to the developer or player. Frankie also discussed the overall dissatisfaction and worthlessness of leaking, even mentioning termination of employees for such issues, "It's not fun, and for what? So you can have a mildly interesting surprise 8 hours early and lacking context? Or get hyped or disappointed disproportionately? Or get someone fired or someone innocent yelled at?" This could hint at some of the previous Anniversary or Master Chief Collection rumors being completely true, or the opposite as the leaks could cause false hype.

post-26953-0-95809700-1400736504_thumb.png

Do you think this is a ret-con or hint at some previous Halo rumors to go out publicly and make a full speech about leaking? Let me know below, thanks for the read!

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 4

The speculation on the part of there being a Master Chief Collection being confirmed or denied by the timing of this from Frank is simply silly. Let me explain why.

1. Frank O'Connor goes on the internet to explain why illegally leaked information is bad.

2. Everyone agrees with Frank because he makes valid points on why illegally leaked information is bad.

3. Everyone then tries to match Frank's valid points with illegally leaked information to provide it some validity or disprove it...

The fact of the matter is, if there is going to be any sort of MCC (or H2A for that matter), then the announcement for it will come in time and then everyone can get excited about it. Until that time, however, all you are potentially doing is getting people's hopes up only to have them crushed. Such things ruin people's enjoyment of franchises and end up hurting what you are trying to support. Which is what Frank was trying to say.

• Like 4

I can sympathize with O'Conner on that one. As much as I look forward to more info on Halo 5/Halo 2: Anniversary, I still hope to get it by way of official release. Not only does it keep everybody happy, it's also a lot easier to believe. 

I think that the release of this statement not only means that there have been a few leaks about what 343 is trying to do, but I think it's also some preventive maintenance. E3 is just around the corner, and O'Conner is likely saying things to discourage leaks and working hard to keep things under the covers for just a few more weeks.

Well it's no fun to spoil anything for anyone, especially plot lines and big releases for the Halo franchise. The author obviously has an angry tone and wants people not to troll. That's what I think.