Reticle Height

Rafter

As all of us know, the reticle, throughout the halo games, has always appeared a little bit lower than half-screen, which is different to other games.

I have always wondered (in Halo 3 and ODST) why did i had to look to the sky, rendering no vision to the battlefield, when i had to headshot a brute at very close range.

Moreover, when I am moving, both single and multiplayer, the reticle is always aiming the ground; when i find somone i have to pull it up and almost look at the sky

In some of the Halo 4 videos in which we could see actual gameplay, i noticed that the reticle is, once again, at a very low height, if not lower.

Don't you think it should be changed and placed in the middle? Or, at least, higher?

There's a theory, which is very popular with game designers, that most players don't look up very often. This increases their chances of getting killed from above as they're less likely to spot enemies.

Lowering the reticule increases the amount of space available for vision above the player's head, making it more likely that players will spot targets higher up. You don't normally need to see what's on the ground in front of you as most enemies will be at head height or just below, so you'll see them anyway.

• Like 1

There's a theory, which is very popular with game designers, that most players don't look up very often. This increases their chances of getting killed from above as they're less likely to spot enemies.

Lowering the reticule increases the amount of space available for vision above the player's head, making it more likely that players will spot targets higher up. You don't normally need to see what's on the ground in front of you as most enemies will be at head height or just below, so you'll see them anyway.

Never thought of it like that. Nice to know.

Halo has always had it's reticule directly dead center. The particulars of the HUD invloving the crosshairs is as follows...

Fullscreen offset X:0 Y:0

Halfscreen offset X:0 Y:0

Quaterscreen offset X:0 Y:0

These tag fields are in every halo and follow the same pattern of values in every title. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

This is the best answer I've heard thus far - Thanks. I've always wondered this myself. Although it is a bit annoying, I just would like a definite answer from 343 on why they have also adopted the same reticle positioning of Halo2 and so on. If this is such a better way than why do ALL other FPS's have it in the center?

• Like 1