Energy Sword Blocking

Darklarik

Im sorry, but this feature in halo reach was bull****

Not only does it not make any sense cannonicly, since Plama, cant be blocked by anything other than plasma, but it also ruined the Sword dules from halo 3 and made the sword weak as hell.

whats next? we gonna be able to block a hammer or shotgun blast with our face?

I hope the Halo 3 sword returns for Halo 4

In Halo Reach, there is usually only one energy sword per map, if I am correct. This probably served to prevent the same team from gaining two swords. How do you expect there to be energy sword duels if there is only one sword? Sword blocking wasn't that bad in my opinion, as you had to be skilled to do it correctly. Anyone can rampage with an energy sword, but you have to be skilled with it to use it correctly and to prevent your opponent from blocking your attacks.

Story-wise, it may be possible due to the spartans hitting the sword at an angle, at which their shields would bounce/slide it away from them. That is how it works in my opinion at least.

In Halo Reach, there is usually only one energy sword per map, if I am correct. This probably served to prevent the same team from gaining two swords. How do you expect there to be energy sword duels if there is only one sword? Sword blocking wasn't that bad in my opinion, as you had to be skilled to do it correctly. Anyone can rampage with an energy sword, but you have to be skilled with it to use it correctly and to prevent your opponent from blocking your attacks.

Story-wise, it may be possible due to the spartans hitting the sword at an angle, at which their shields would bounce/slide it away from them. That is how it works in my opinion at least.

An energy sword can cut through any shield like butter, and pop it from simply touching it. Its already hard enough that its a close range weapon and was slightly under the shotgun, but after that nerf, it became bad.

Sword slayer was a popular choice in the Rumble pit and lone wolves in halo 3, plus, in custom games sword duels are common.

I felt like in Reach it was a stupid feature but it was balanced out by the fact that you could sprint with it and just murder fools...In Reach, if anything, in the right circumstances, I could kill even more people than in H3.

That said, I hope they remove or at least severely restrict Sword blocking.

Like others said, this feature does take skill to use correctly. You need to time it right to the millisecond to perform it right. Besides, if they have a game type of or similar to infection in halo 4, sword blocking will be key. Was in reach, because I found I was one of the few able to use it properly, and also use it against the humans come the chance. If you do use it properly, it is a very good advantage for you in a gametype such as that.

However, I do believe that sword blocking in other game types are slightly unfair. For, I will use reach as an example again, if you work hard enough to get that sword, and if you work hard enough to close that gap, you should get the kill. Also, as mentioned, there is only one sword in the map, which spawns after a slightly lengthly duration of time. So, if you get it, you should have the ability to use it to it's full extent.

Why, you ask, is it any different from infection and alternate game types? Well, example, in infection, energy swords are far from scarce. Zombies all get to spawn with them. And when they die, they're right back in seconds anyway. So humans deserve that ability as a method of survival. Because unlike the zombies, humans do not go back to their original selves. Just think about those aspects.

-Bullet

Like others said, this feature does take skill to use correctly. You need to time it right to the millisecond to perform it right. Besides, if they have a game type of or similar to infection in halo 4, sword blocking will be key. Was in reach, because I found I was one of the few able to use it properly, and also use it against the humans come the chance. If you do use it properly, it is a very good advantage for you in a gametype such as that.

However, I do believe that sword blocking in other game types are slightly unfair. For, I will use reach as an example again, if you work hard enough to get that sword, and if you work hard enough to close that gap, you should get the kill. Also, as mentioned, there is only one sword in the map, which spawns after a slightly lengthly duration of time. So, if you get it, you should have the ability to use it to it's full extent.

Why, you ask, is it any different from infection and alternate game types? Well, example, in infection, energy swords are far from scarce. Zombies all get to spawn with them. And when they die, they're right back in seconds anyway. So humans deserve that ability as a method of survival. Because unlike the zombies, humans do not go back to their original selves. Just think about those aspects.

-Bullet

I don't remember the sword being OP in Halo 3...then again, I wasn't involved in the community so I wouldn't know if others thought so. It just seems like sword blocking was invented to solve a problem which only Bungie thought was a problem...

Master Chief blocked a sword in a book. so if there was no sword blocking Master chief would of died right after Halo 1

He did not 'block' it, he tried using his assault riffle as a shield, and the sword cut right through it. At no point does he ever 'block' an energy sword with any part of his body. You should re-read the book.

-Bullet

So you logic is swordblocking should be in infection because zombies spawn with swords... ok then, humans spawn with SHOTGUNS, which have had a range and damage buff everygame. by this logic you should be able to block shogun bullets too.

An energy sword can cut through any shield like butter, and pop it from simply touching it. Its already hard enough that its a close range weapon and was slightly under the shotgun, but after that nerf, it became bad.

Sword slayer was a popular choice in the Rumble pit and lone wolves in halo 3, plus, in custom games sword duels are common.

Another explanation may be that the hilt is being hit by the melee, causing the sword to be deflected so that it only cuts into the armor so much, but not so much as to make the hit lethal.

Sword Blocking takes skill and skill to prevent from happening. I agree that in some gametypes it isn't necessary, but removing it altogether just heeds to the complaints of people who can't handle missing out on a few more skill-less kills.

Making an option in forge and custom games that turns it on or off, would be a good compromise I think.

So you logic is swordblocking should be in infection because zombies spawn with swords... ok then, humans spawn with SHOTGUNS, which have had a range and damage buff everygame. by this logic you should be able to block shogun bullets too.

Zombies also have advantages like speed, power, and Definately numbers.

i honestly enjoyed being able to save my butt against a guy with a sword, but its different when i have the sword. i think it completely ruined infection in reach but i havent had many problems in slayer or anything. I think they should have it in halo 4 because sprint will be a default for everyone, so people will dominate others if they have sprint every time they get the sword

i honestly enjoyed being able to save my butt against a guy with a sword, but its different when i have the sword. i think it completely ruined infection in reach but i havent had many problems in slayer or anything. I think they should have it in halo 4 because sprint will be a default for everyone, so people will dominate others if they have sprint every time they get the sword

But when you're shot while sprinting, you will slow down, unlike in Reach. So that kind of balances out the whole sprint + sword = Win.

Zombies also have advantages like speed, power, and Definately numbers.

Yah no. Teams start with a ratios of 3 humans per zombie. Even with their speed (which can play against you), the range and power of the shotgun far outclasses the shield less zombies. Thats why most game those who are infected have HUGE negative k/d spreads.

But when you're shot while sprinting, you will slow down, unlike in Reach. So that kind of balances out the whole sprint + sword = Win.

Heres an idea, reduce the lunge range, problem solved. it is a SWORD after all. Its hard enough that you have to get into someones face to use it.

Another explanation may be that the hilt is being hit by the melee, causing the sword to be deflected so that it only cuts into the armor so much, but not so much as to make the hit lethal.

Sword Blocking takes skill and skill to prevent from happening. I agree that in some gametypes it isn't necessary, but removing it altogether just heeds to the complaints of people who can't handle missing out on a few more skill-less kills.

Making an option in forge and custom games that turns it on or off, would be a good compromise I think.

The Hitting the hilt is kinda bull of an explanation, regardless, its still not a justification for the massive sword nerf Reach had. Getting up close to someone isnt the easiest thing in the world, even less when said person has Things like armor lock, sticky grenades, jetpacks and shotguns all play against your favor. So Swordblocking is quite unnecessary.

Quite frankly, I did exactly the opposite. I, when I was about warrent officer all the way to brigadier, played grifball all the time, and had a terrible K/D. But then, it was from playing infection that I have the K/D I do now. Infection boosted my K/D from what used to be 0.73, up to 1.08. See my point, here?

...snip...

Heres an idea, reduce the lunge range, problem solved. it is a SWORD after all. Its hard enough that you have to get into someones face to use it.

...snip...

If you're having problems using the sword in Reach, I'm sorry. Personally, I can go on tears with it. While sword blocking does suck, 9 times out of 10 I still get the kill when I'm blocked. And probably half the time I get the kill after I block the sword.

But this whole topic is pointless, because they removed sword block from TU Reach, did they not? To me, that seems like 343 has listened to the community, and it isn't something that will be in Halo 4.

Quite frankly, I did exactly the opposite. I, when I was about warrent officer all the way to brigadier, played grifball all the time, and had a terrible K/D. But then, it was from playing infection that I have the K/D I do now. Infection boosted my K/D from what used to be 0.73, up to 1.08. See my point, here?

well then you got lucky. Of course as a HUMAN your gonna have a much bigger K/D than a zombie. im just unlucky in that i usually get picked as a zombie......

If you're having problems using the sword in Reach, I'm sorry. Personally, I can go on tears with it. While sword blocking does suck, 9 times out of 10 I still get the kill when I'm blocked. And probably half the time I get the kill after I block the sword.

But this whole topic is pointless, because they removed sword block from TU Reach, did they not? To me, that seems like 343 has listened to the community, and it isn't something that will be in Halo 4.

Oh rly??? thats good 2 know.

Is it possible for someone to sword block twice in a row? I havent played Reach, only H3, in awhile. If it is possible that should definitely been out. Maybe making the penalties applied to sword blocking larger...does it drain the blockers shields or not? I forgot if it does or not.

I'd be fine if it was a bit more balanced.

Is it possible for someone to sword block twice in a row? I havent played Reach, only H3, in awhile. If it is possible that should definitely been out. Maybe making the penalties applied to sword blocking larger...does it drain the blockers shields or not? I forgot if it does or not.

I'd be fine if it was a bit more balanced.

No. The first hit will pop shields. Then after that it will kill you regardless if you block it or not.

No. The first hit will pop shields. Then after that it will kill you regardless if you block it or not.

But I've seen my teammates block the sword multiple times. I didn't think it was possible, either, but I watched one dude block it three times in a row (Team Slayer on Sword Base). No health near him to pick up, he just blocked it.

But I've seen my teammates block the sword multiple times. I didn't think it was possible, either, but I watched one dude block it three times in a row (Team Slayer on Sword Base). No health near him to pick up, he just blocked it.

This was probably laggy. Maybe the your teammate did not "lunge" but instead just hit with the sword. I will do some research on this some other time.

me too. its a stupid feature since its hard enough to close the distance on a guy who backsteps and is shooting yah. not to mention getting close you risk getting Stuck, Armor Locked, and screwed like a pooch.