Ask The Director.

The Director

Why is ice slippery?

You must take into account that it is not always wet, and similiar surfaces are not....

Because of the diverse molecular structure of water as it freezes. As you know, when water changes state, it expands when it should be contracting. This is because of the six sided bonds the particles of ice and water make up.

But, that's irrelevant. Almost. The real reason, is actually that it is wet. You see, it is only slippery because it's a smooth or very near smooth surface, and also has low melting point and low mass. Now, it isn't slippery until you touch it. Here's why.

Your statement in your post is incorrect; ice is wet, once you step on it or touch it. Your body heat, which is much higher than the melting point of ice, melts the ice to create; that's right, water. This is what you slide on.

It's how skaters skate, and how you slip at a swimming pool, and how you slide on ice. All the same physics.

Because of the diverse molecular structure of water as it freezes. As you know, when water changes state, it expands when it should be contracting. This is because of the six sided bonds the particles of ice and water make up.

But, that's irrelevant. Almost. The real reason, is actually that it is wet. You see, it is only slippery because it's a smooth or very near smooth surface, and also has low melting point and low mass. Now, it isn't slippery until you touch it. Here's why.

Your statement in your post is incorrect; ice is wet, once you step on it or touch it. Your body heat, which is much higher than the melting point of ice, melts the ice to create; that's right, water. This is what you slide on.

It's how skaters skate, and how you slip at a swimming pool, and how you slide on ice. All the same physics.

And yet, you disregard the fact that you can place an item onto the surface of ice that is the same temperature and it will slide. ie. The sole of a shoe exposed to the cold, those things used in curling, any other item..... Ice is still slippery.

There are three misconceptions. Ice is slippery not because it's smooth or because its melting point drops when pressure is increased (tennis shoes still slip the same as skates). In addition, friction melting the ice has nothing to do with the slipperiness of ice (people standing still slip).

The correct answer is that the surface of the ice has a microscopic film that is liquid-like. In a liquid, molecules are free to move around, but on the surface of ice, they move up and down. This also explains why when ice cubes are held together, they fuse. This was discovered very recently.

So close, but no go.

:)

And yet, you disregard the fact that you can place an item onto the surface of ice that is the same temperature and it will slide. ie. The sole of a shoe exposed to the cold, those things used in curling, any other item..... Ice is still slippery.

There are three misconceptions. Ice is

slippery not because it's smooth or because its melting point drops when pressure is increased (tennis shoes still slip the same as skates). In addition, friction melting the ice has nothing to do with the slipperiness of ice (people standing still slip).

The correct answer is that the surface of the ice has a microscopic film that is liquid-like. In a liquid, molecules are free to move around, but on the

surface of ice, they move up and down. This also explains why when ice cubes are held together, they fuse. This was discovered very recently.

So close, but no go.

:)

Ah, but what causes that film? Differences in temperature. Sorry, I forgot a point in my post.

Around the ice, the air is usually above melting point. This warms the ice thoroly. However, all heat is transferred up. Creating the film.

But, I was still correct, from a point of view. When you apply pressure, friction, and your own bodyheat, it creates a thicker and more slippery film. That's what I was getting at.

Director.....why is it when someone offers you a penny for your thoughts the respondent always puts in their two cents worth?

Because when someone offers you a penny for your thoughts, you have to give them two cents for psychiatric charges. It's sociological code.
  • Like 2

so it's been about a month since i looked through this thread, so my question to you Director is, Has anyone stumped you besides the first two people? im too lazy to look because it's about 10 pages worth i have to go though lol

so it's been about a month since i looked through this thread, so my question to you Director is, Has anyone stumped you besides the first two people? im too lazy to look because it's about 10 pages worth i have to go though lol

Nope, not yet. :D

Will you go out with me babes? ;) <3

No :D

Prove to me that you are not figments of my imagination. In other words how do I know that other people really exist.

What is "existence" really? You will find a rather complex and convoluted explanation down this road, so let's put it this way. If you can interact with it, it exists. By answering this question, I am proving to you that I exist. To prove to myself I exist, I simply must ask myself, "Do I exist." That's what "I think therefor I am" means.

To be? Or not to be?

That depends on you. Do you think suicide is your only course of action (that IS what that passage was referring to, btw)? If you do then you should seek psychiatric help, or call the suicide hotline. In the US it's 1-800-273-8255
  • Like 2

Ok i got a question that will Stump you - What would happen if you somehow got into the middle of a Halo Ring? (if it were real?)

Remember that this is an artificial construct that has its own gravity.

Plus the answer must include what would physically happen to you if you got into the middle of the ring..........

Ok i got a question that will Stump you - What would happen if you somehow got into the middle of a Halo Ring? (if it were real?)

Remember that this is an artificial construct that has its own gravity.

Plus the answer must include what would physically happen to you if you got into the middle of the ring..........

The Halo constructs use Localized Gravity Field Generators rather than having their own gravity themselves. The gravity of the rings are contained within the actual ring itself. Therefor, the center of the ring's gravity would depend on where in space it's located. If it were near a star or a planet, then it would be affected by this. If it were nowhere near any celestial bodies that had any gravity, then it would be a 0 G zone.

The LGFG's prevent the Halo Rings being destroyed by attracting meteorites and other things that could destroy the Installation. Also, if the ring's gravity fields touched each other, then it would rip itself apart. Gravity doesn't cancel itself out, it just pulls on itself. This would turn the Halo into a ball rather than a ring.

As for what would physically happen to you physically, you would float. And probably suffocate, or be incinerated when the ring is activated for routine maintenance.

What is the square root of the square root of Pi?

Appx. 1.331352696, however the square root of pi is an infinite number, just like pi is, so the square root of the square root is also infinite, therefor I can only give you this approximation. :D
  • Like 1

who do you think would win in a boxing match, Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson?

Ali would win. Tyson is good, but Ali is better.

Five fingers have I, I have no bone, nor raw flesh. I do not cover flesh and bone, however. What am I?

I think you typed it wrong, because without that "not" there the answer would be a glove.