A ranking system we can all agree upon

Destroyaaa

You may have come accross this topic http://www.343indust...ranking-system/

I have read way too many things, argued with too many people, and talked about what the halo 4 ranking system needs. It is time to decide what is best for the community as a whole. There will be no arguments in this topic, only suggestions and questions. I will be proposing the ultimate ranking system for halo 4 and if good enough, halo 5 and 6.

Here we go-

The halo 4 ranking system needs to be a combination of the best elements of halo 2, 3, and reach. Just like halo 3, there will be ranked and social playlists, with the ranked playlists having levels. These levels will, however, increase and decrease based on the halo 2 ranking system. There will obviously be much less cheating in halo 4 than halo 2, so although this will be very difficult to get a 50, it will not be near impossible like halo 2. The leveling system in halo 3 was flawed so this will provide a fair system. I will go into more depth on this at the end.

The credit system from Halo Reach will also be included towards your overall rank. Your rank will increase the same way as in Reach (up to Inheritor or whatever they choose) by earning credits and completing challenges. The credits can be used for armor unlocks as well. Also I want to remove how in halo 3 if you didnt meet a level requirement you would become a grade 2 or grade 3 rank. Instead you should just continue to rank up based on your credits, regardless of highest level in a ranked playlist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an example of what the game will start with-

Ranked:

Team Slayer

Team Objective

Lone Wolves

Team Snipers

Big Team Battle

Invasion?

Double Team

Team SWAT

(MLG would be added at some point)

I also do not want Squad battle to ever come back, big team battle is much better

Social:

Social Slayer

Big team Social

Rumble pit

Living dead

Multi team

Rocket Race(bring it back! rocket hog race is okay though)

Action Sack

Grifball

etc..

Cooperative:

Campaign

Firefight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trueskill system will be removed. By playing enough ranked games, you will fall into place. Unless you get better or play with better people (which are good things), you will be playing people that are close your skill level. That in itself is a trueskill system. If you care about losing your rank so badly, play custom games or play social games to improve/continue to enjoy halo. Let me make this clear for those of you who can't stand losing your level. http://www.thefreedi.../Ranking+system . The definition of a ranking system is, "A listing of items in a group, such as schools or sports teams, according to a system of rating or a record of performance." I too once believed it was all about wins or losses, but I have recently succumbed to the idea that if you lose and you do very well, you shouldn't be penalized as badly. This is why I think it would be best to alter the halo 2 system for levels slightly. This is my proposal-

Ranked and social games will have a percentage of what values will affect the amount of EXP you win or lose and the credits you earn. I'll do this in terms of percentages. A win in my opinion is the most important statistic at the end of the day, and should be valued at 70%. Regardless of whether you go 16-0 or 0-16, if you win you'll get a good amount of EXP. This will also discourage COD gameplay where noone cares if you win or lose and just try to kill people. The remaing 30% will be divided up into adding exp for a good K/D ratio and assists. I'll try to make this simple; lets say anything better than a +15K/D ratio will give you the maximum amount of EXP for a game (counting assists as half a kill). If you win a ranked game, you will receive the amount of EXP you would have gotten if this was halo 2 PLUS 30% more for your performance in the game. If you lose, you will still lose the amount of EXP you would have lost if this was halo 2 but if you have a +15 K/D, you will lose a lot less EXP. This will all be propotional obviously so if you go +14 its not all or nothing. This will also make the halo 2 system a little bit less unforgiving as well as an incentive to try instead of "get carried."

This system will appeal to competitive and non competitive gamers alike. That same extreme competition in halo 2 will be back in the ranked playlists as well as credits and a relaxed social environment. If you think this will work, show your support. Like I said I am done arguing, I truly believe this is the way to go. Please offer your suggestions and ask as many questions as you'd like.

Edit: I will use this space to edit this post for changes that I think would make this better

1. Have squad battle and big team battle coexist

2. Increase the percentage of EXP from winning from 70% to 75% or 80% to put an even bigger emphasis on winning.

3. Achievements for armor unlocks

4. For objective games, a small bonus (5%) for capturing flags, getting hill time, etc. Not going to try and go into detail for this.

• Like 2

I think this would work but...

I don't like having separate Ranked/social playlists. I really don't, I think all playlists require some form of skill. And if there are separate playlists, SWAT should be in Ranked. Then I would be happy.

And let's please try to keep this on topic.

• Like 1

I don't like having separate Ranked/social playlists. I really don't, I think all playlists require some form of skill. And if there are separate playlists, SWAT should be in Ranked. Then I would be happy.

Added SWAT.

The problem is that where do guests fit in? I really hate playing guests in big team battle or super slayer. They dont belong there. Thats a big part of social playlists.

The problem is that where do guests fit in? I really hate playing guests in big team battle or super slayer. They dont belong there. Thats a big part of social playlists.

A lot of guests that I play are actually better than the non-guest account. I don't know. I just am really against seperate playlists.

Its tricky because I dont like how there are no non-competitve playlists in Reach. There should at least be some playlists where you can play a normal game of slayer without having to call out and time power weapons and play with some friends over your house that have never played before. There's gotta be some playlists that don't matter if you win or lose. Thats why I feel splitting it up is the best way to go. It worked well in halo 2 and 3.

• Like 2

As a player who likes to mess around a lot, t-bag some foes, teamkilling my bros. I really don't want everything I do to determine my rank, because that would be wrong. I want the social playlists to screw around without the stress of my EXP on the line. I also think for many people getting a 15+ K/D seems nearly impossible. I would lower that to 10 or even 5, because being even +1 means you applied benefit to your team, unlike those who DID go negative, who made your team lose.

Also it seems from screenshots and gameplay the game isn't completely determined on kills. It has a point system which goes off of not only the amount of kills, but the type of kills. So this system you have created would have to be altered, or at least adjusted for these playlists.

I dont like the idea of credits effecting the ranking system, it never did in the first place. The ranking should't go away either, in halo 3 i always had something to work for since the system was always there were i left off, and it was so hard that it took a really long time for me to get my high 40's in every playlist. Winning is the only thing that should rank you because a simple goal makes the game much more intensely competitive. If you get a good pos KD you should rank down in slayer games, since it wasnt your fault for the loss. The more simple the system the better, Otherwise halo 2 ranking all the way.

Well that is very bad idea...... if you force casuals to play competitively a lot of people are going to hate this game. If you have ever seen real competitive halo you will know that im not joking when i say its one of the most hardcore gaming experiences ever. Competitive halo is intense and a lot of people dont want to get into that, they will get cussed out for not even knowing the call outs. There needs to be playlists you dont have to try in, if not the matchmaking will be unplayable for many people.
  • Like 1

A lot of guests that I play are actually better than the non-guest account. I don't know. I just am really against seperate playlists.

This is part of the reason I hate reach. There is never any sense of accomplishment. There has to be a separation of the playlists. All ranked is not an option because of guests. All social is boring for more serious players.

they way halo 3 did matchmaking was perfect. the only problem was that the halo 2 ranking system was better that the true skill system of halo 3. the really competetive player would normally be in MLG playlist which is why MLG is a ranked playlist.

i dont agree with saying that people on the loosing team should get a break if they go positive. there will be people on the winning team that went negative so based on your reasoning they should be penalized because they hurt the team right? no, there are so many ways to contribute to a team and if you are so good that you can go +15 then if you are a good leader then you can help the rest of your team go positive too. and with a ranking system the whole point is to have games where everybody is even and there isnt the one noob who is just terrible playing with a bunch of 25s even. a noob should be stuck in the 10-15 levels until they get accustomed to the game because their wins will be inconsistent.

in the halo 2 system it wasnt 1 loss and you deranked. in halo 2 every time you ranked up or down the next level up or down were a certain number of wins or losses away, so if you lost one game and then won 5 you would rank up. lossing means you have lost more than you have won and if you lose 4 in a row you cant blame it on the people youve been paired with. also you will get put on teams of people who are better than you too and they will help you win when you are out matched.

trying to create a cushion would make the ranking system uneven and too easy to rank up like it was in halo 3

Do the combo thing that guy on the top was talkin about, accept add this too it...

Put a set of achievements in there (similar to the vidmasters) that people can complete in order to become a warrant officer or commissioned officer (Spartan School achievements) so competitive+skilled players can be fully recognized. the enlisted ranks (private-Sergeant Major/Seaman Recruit-Master Chief Petty Officer) are for everyone else. this way people can get motivated about ranking up.

• Like 1

Yes, this is mostly what I was thinking. I liked the reward systems of both reach and halo 3, but with reach the skill lvl was completely taken out of the equation. There definitely needs to be more to the game than just "The Arena" duh duh duhhhhhh (dramatic music).

they way halo 3 did matchmaking was perfect. the only problem was that the halo 2 ranking system was better that the true skill system of halo 3. the really competetive player would normally be in MLG playlist which is why MLG is a ranked playlist.

i dont agree with saying that people on the loosing team should get a break if they go positive. there will be people on the winning team that went negative so based on your reasoning they should be penalized because they hurt the team right? no, there are so many ways to contribute to a team and if you are so good that you can go +15 then if you are a good leader then you can help the rest of your team go positive too. and with a ranking system the whole point is to have games where everybody is even and there isnt the one noob who is just terrible playing with a bunch of 25s even. a noob should be stuck in the 10-15 levels until they get accustomed to the game because their wins will be inconsistent.

in the halo 2 system it wasnt 1 loss and you deranked. in halo 2 every time you ranked up or down the next level up or down were a certain number of wins or losses away, so if you lost one game and then won 5 you would rank up. lossing means you have lost more than you have won and if you lose 4 in a row you cant blame it on the people youve been paired with. also you will get put on teams of people who are better than you too and they will help you win when you are out matched.

trying to create a cushion would make the ranking system uneven and too easy to rank up like it was in halo 3

Let me try to explain this again. the +15 K/D (with assists as half a kill) is the MAXIMUM amount of BONUS EXP you can earn if you win. This will make leveling easier but it wont help as much as you think. If you go +1 you still will gain BONUS EXP just not as much as if you were to go +15. Going negative doesn't make you lose more exp than normal. All this system is doing is giving the halo 2 system a little bit of a boost, which it needs. Read the definition of a ranking system again, this is what it is.

And to all of you who think winning is the only thing that should matter, that is also how I truly feel but that is not what a true ranking system is about. That is the point of this system, because it is still mostly about winning, but adds performance bonuses, which needed to be added. If a person does very well but loses, they will still lose most of the EXP they would have lost regardless.

And to you Luke I am sorry but most of the people on this site and that I talk to about this topic do not have the same beliefs as you on this. It is best to go with what the majority wants and that is what this is about.

I like having seperate paylists. I played Ranked for a little while in H3 but usually played Social because I thought it was more fun. However, there needs to be some sort of seperation between playlists. Guests shouldnt be allowed in ranked because of boosters, obviously.

As far as ranking goes, another thread was started like this but I cant find it. It need a simple and easy rank system. Don't get too complicated like truskill that nobody understood. Ranking should be : Win x amount of games, rank up. Lose x amount of games, rank down. The higher rank you are, the more games you must win. However, have something in the system that recognizes outliers. For instance, I am one game away from deranking, but get a perfection on the next game or go 20-2, and still lose. Have the system recognize individual players in certain instances. In this case, I should rank down because I did really well in that game. But I shouldnt receive a win and get one game closer to ranking up because, well, I win.

Just please keep it simple and easy. If it gets too complicated, it probably wont be that good.

I dont mind Sqaud at all. I have a few friends that are on as much as I am. When we play, we destroy. Sometimes we get 5 people together. So giving us an option to play wih just 5 is great. I dont like BTB especially since heavies was involved. Im not big on vehicles

In the halo 3 they had squad battle or big team battle, but not both ranked at the same time. Maybe they could put both out at the same time? Just as long as enough people play them it could work. I like big team battle much more than squad battle personally.

I agree. Have identical playlists, just one is ranked, one is not. People that care about a number next to their name can play ranked. People that dont or have guests, play social. Simple enough, huh?

Or possibly have an Arena sort of ranking system where you matched with players based on K/D ratio on that certain playlist. Or W/L on a certain playlist. I am better at Team Slayer than SWAT. Suppose I have a 1.5 K/D in slayer, match me with similar players with a similar K/D. Based on that K/D in that playlist, you get a ranking based on your K/D in that playlist as a percentage of all players in that playlist like arena. Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

Let me try to explain this again. the +15 K/D (with assists as half a kill) is the MAXIMUM amount of BONUS EXP you can earn if you win. This will make leveling easier but it wont help as much as you think. If you go +1 you still will gain BONUS EXP just not as much as if you were to go +15. Going negative doesn't make you lose more exp than normal. All this system is doing is giving the halo 2 system a little bit of a boost, which it needs. Read the definition of a ranking system again, this is what it is.

And to all of you who think winning is the only thing that should matter, that is also how I truly feel but that is not what a true ranking system is about. That is the point of this system, because it is still mostly about winning, but adds performance bonuses, which needed to be added. If a person does very well but loses, they will still lose most of the EXP they would have lost regardless.

And to you Luke I am sorry but most of the people on this site and that I talk to about this topic do not have the same beliefs as you on this. It is best to go with what the majority wants and that is what this is about.

I understood your post the first time I just didn't like your idea. Not to be rude but there are ways to screw a team over just so you can go positive. Like letting your teammates take off a persons shields and then stealing the headshots.

Also you are saying that there should be exp that determines rank while I feel that it should be based on wins and losses instead of a complicated formula that says ok you have an average of this much for These games so you get this. Also the exp would make people want a cod/reach like rank system that doesn't inspire teamwork or competition

I understood your post the first time I just didn't like your idea. Not to be rude but there are ways to screw a team over just so you can go positive. Like letting your teammates take off a persons shields and then stealing the headshots.

Also you are saying that there should be exp that determines rank while I feel that it should be based on wins and losses instead of a complicated formula that says ok you have an average of this much for These games so you get this. Also the exp would make people want a cod/reach like rank system that doesn't inspire teamwork or competition

I want the same thing as you. I dont know how to make it any clearer. WINNING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THIS SYSTEM. You really think some people are going to try and get extra kills and dont care about losing? That'd be stupid when if you win you can take that bonus exp and add that on to your exp from the win. If a slayer game is up to 50 and I go 49-0 and lose 50-49, I am still losing exp. I am not losing as much as my teammates because I am getting a little bonus because of my performance. Maybe I should change the percentages, say 75% or 80% for a win. How would that sound?

How about this

Social:

Level with the reach credit system

(And maybe be able to use them to unlock armour by spending the credits)

Ranked:

Level with the halo 3 EXP system (why not halo 2 I dont like that one)

(and maybe have special rank based armour unlocks)

How about this

Social:

Ranked:

I don't think it would be possible to have seperate ranking systems. That would suck. What If I was top level in ranked and then had some friends round, so played social, and I had to rank all the way up again.

How about this

Social:

Ranked:

Thats what this is except better because the halo 3 exp system was flawed. The more games you played the harder it was to level up. If you were to search team slayer in halo 3 and win 37 games or so (I think thats the #) in a row you would get a 50. If you lost games, it would take more wins to get a 50. I won about 13 or 14 games in a row as a 49 in order to get a 50 in team slayer. Yet in double team, I lost maybe 5 games and got to a 50 much easier. This is clearly a flawed system so by inserting the halo 2 one in place, it will make it independent of games played.

Thats what this is except better because the halo 3 exp system was flawed. The more games you played the harder it was to level up. If you were to search team slayer in halo 3 and win 37 games or so (I think thats the #) in a row you would get a 50. If you lost games, it would take more wins to get a 50. I won about 13 or 14 games in a row as a 49 in order to get a 50 in team slayer. Yet in double team, I lost maybe 5 games and got to a 50 much easier. This is clearly a flawed system so by inserting the halo 2 one in place, it will make it independent of games played.

I do think that this makes sense. Maybe it is better than the Reach ranking system. :o