PLEASE DONT PUT ARMOR ABILITIES IN HALO 4!!!!

Vitam1nJ

I don't have to constantly play competitive to understand what true skill is. What's the reason? Please tell me how using just a DMR or BR (and maybe a pistol), a frag grenade, and nothing else requires more skill than being able to properly and effectively use everything the game offers better than your opponent. I'd love to hear your reasons. Please tell me how limiting yourself to one or two weapons and a frag takes more skill than being able to use every weapon and feature in the game effectively and to outplay your opponent depending on the situation. Please tell me how it's not more skillful the be able to use everything within the game correctly and better than your opponent does, and how it's more skillful to use maybe one or two weapons and a frag.

You limit yourself to just a BR or DMR, maybe a pistol, and a frag grenade. You use nothing but those for the entire match, or for every match you play. Tell me, how is that more skillful than learning how to properly use every weapon and mechanic in the game, and to use these things to beat your opponents in different situations, as well as being able to use them to overcome others? You learn how to use one or two weapons, and how to use frag grenades. Meanwhile I learn how to use every weapon and mechanic in the game to overcome different situations. How is it that I'm not the one practicing the more skillful playstyle? How is it that I'm not the more skilled player, even though I've learned how to use every weapon properly, every mechanic properly, and have learned just how and when I should use these things?

It's not about learning all the mechanics (to an extent). It's about BALANCE. The default Reach playstyle is NOT BALANCED. And you can NOT have 'skill' without BALANCE. Limit yourself to the bare minimum like the BR/Sniper and other few weapons like the MLG playlist in Halo 3 did. They keep the weapons that kept the playlist BALANCED, and removed the overpowered crap. Is it skill if I have armour lock and the other guy doesn't? No, it's not. I may have 'outsmarted' him, but it's not skill because it's not BALANCED. If you give everyone the same weapons and tell them to work together to kill each other, the more SKILLED players will ALWAYS win. This is SKILL, that is BALANCE. Without BALANCE, the players who just aren't as good can use the overpowered mechanics to their advantage to win. That is NOT skill, that is just luck.

Oh, and it doesn't matter what you practise with. You could practise in default settings all you want, but a team who knows teamwork, communication, etc etc under a BALANCED competitive environment will ALWAYS wipe the floor with you. The skills and tactics transfer. An MLG pro will destroy anyone in any playlist. It's just that the imbalance on the default playlists are not ideal, and it's annoying when you're killed due to bullcrap.

See what I'm saying here? Skill is being able to outplay your opponents consistently under a BALANCED setting. This is not the default setting where AAs run amok.

It didn't ruin Halo. When you played Halo Reach, how on earth can it feel like you were not playing halo. Look at the box. It is halo. Just you have your head too far in the past - of pretty bad halos compared to reach, to see it properly. Armor abilities are great. They allow you to play more tactically and thoughtfully, as well as adding a fun element to the game.

With this kind of attitude you are much better off at the waypoint forums.

Anyway, welcome to the forums anyway.

So your justification that the games feels like halo is that it looks like halo. So if I a halo sticker on a CoD disk it would be halo. Okay, that makes sense. As far as the past halos being bad compared to reach. You are the minority on this one. I know multiple that don't dislike reach in the manner that I do, but never I had talked to someone in person that enjoyed the game more. Why do you think that halo has fallen off so much in MLG. The majority of people don't like the game as much.

So numbers don't matter and the community is thriving huh? that doesn't make any sense, how would you know if the community thriving or not if you don't even know the amount of people who are playing the game? Stop arguing with this guy hes making your opposition look foolish. Hes right AAs kinda messed up halo, they had way to much influence on the gameplay i didn't feel like i was playing halo. A cover doesn't make a game, just because the game says halo on it that doesn't mean its anything like original halo. You have obviously never played halo to a high competitive level if you believe AA make the game more skillful. In halo 3 i was a level 49 with 6 other high 40's (obj,mlg,snipers,slayer,squad battle, swat and dubs) and trying to get my 50 was one of the hardest things ive ever tried in gaming. In halo reach me and my dubs partner played 4v4 in arena slayer and we carried our random team mates all the to an excellent record of 42-3. We had no real competition the only thing we had to deal with was communication with our team mates(telling them to hide). Eventually we quit playing arena because it didn't offer enough competition like halo 3. If reach showes more skill than halo 3 then that kind of record would of been impossible for me and my friend to accomplish. AA spawns only gave people an unfair advantage on a better player in the right situation making the gameplay far to random to determine which player had the most skill.

I hated the armor abilities, every single one of them but drop shield and hologram. Jet pack was the worst, it destroyed the purpose of map layout allowing a player to fly over everything. It also encouraged aggressive players to fly to the top of the map and shoot at players from their spawn point making the spawns not mean anything to a user of the jet pack. Sprinting only made the it easier for a loser in a firefight to get away, and it screwed up the spawns for small maps as well. Camo was also very cheap allowing you to get the drop on the other player every single time, it also substituted for the reaction time of the user. Armor lock slowed the gameplay down in very annoying way and wasted well earned power weapon ammo that the other team was able to skillfully obtain. Evade just completely ruined CQB allowing the player the user to instantly flee from his attacker. I dont believe armor abilities were the fatal blow to reach, i think it the lacking of satisfying gameplay.

I heard from a couple people that 343 disliked the armor abilities and won't be adding them, although you will be able to sprint freely like in CoD

Sprinting doesn't sound to bad of an idea, id rather it not be added at all but as long as the maps are made well for the mechanic it will be fine.

Basically, this is what the AAs amounted to:

Jetpack - Ruined the idea of map control. Especially top control. Imagine Halo 3 on Construct with jetpacks. The team that just got forced to the bottom of the map can just fly up and ruin the other teams efforts to control their spawns. Do NOT tell me that is skill. Just, do not.

Camo - Screws with the radar, and is really annoying when someone does it all the time. Slows down the gameplay as it makes a player wary and he looks at every little corner for the guy hiding with the camo. Camo itself is not bad, but keep it as a pickup, not an AA.

Sprint - It's okay, but it allows people to run away in a losing firefight way too easily, and allows them to dart ouf of spawntraps very easily.

Hologram - I see it as pretty pointless. Essentially slows down the gameplay and is just generally annoying as (as far as I remember) your reticule locks onto the hologram, so it can get you killed if you hover over it in a fight.

Drop Shield - Not bad, but it's just a bubble shield, it should stay as a pick up only. You shouldn't be able to deploy it all the time.

Armor lock - Press X for invincibility. That in itself is stupid. If you get stuck, you should die. If a rocket is coming right at you, you should die. If a tank just ran you over, you should die.

Evade - Basically like sprint, but a lot more annoying.

Sprint - It's okay, but it allows people to run away in a losing firefight way too easily, and allows them to dart ouf of spawntraps very easily.

So it's a bad thing that people can manage to get out of spawn without being trapped inside by the other team and picked off every time they come out/respawn? If that's what you're saying, that's rather ridiculous. God forbid someone get themselves out of a situation like that and you have to actually try harder to kill them. God forbid someone does this and you now can no longer pick them off right when they respawn or come out of their area of the map.

So it's a bad thing that people can manage to get out of spawn without being trapped inside by the other team and picked off every time they come out/respawn? If that's what you're saying, that's rather ridiculous. God forbid someone get themselves out of a situation like that and you have to actually try harder to kill them. God forbid someone does this and you now can no longer pick them off right when they respawn or come out of their area of the map.

Guess what? You get yourself spawntrapped, it's your own fault. It's a legitimate strategy commonly used. To get out of it you have to use TEAMWORK.

I never happened to say you didn't need teamwork to get out of a spawntrap. It's obvious that you do. Sprinting, however, can be used in a team's strategy to do this. Let's say your team traps the enemy team in the spawn. One member of the enemy team sprints out of spawn as a distraction. Because your team is now focused on the sprinter and their possible location, this might give the members of the other team just enough time to push out and catch you off guard. If you're unable to keep yourselves together during this and continue to hold them back, then they have used teamwork to successfully break your trap.

I never happened to say you didn't need teamwork to get out of a spawntrap. It's obvious that you do. Sprinting, however, can be used in a team's strategy to do this. Let's say your team traps the enemy team in the spawn. One member of the enemy team sprints out of spawn as a distraction. Because your team is now focused on the sprinter and their possible location, this might give the members of the other team just enough time to push out and catch you off guard. If you're unable to keep yourselves together during this and continue to hold them back, then they have used teamwork to successfully break your trap.

ya, but that doenst take a plan to do, it just happens.

Who cares if it isn't like original Halo lelmonade, I would rather they made a new game with new things eg armour abilities than copy an old one, which in my opinion, sucked. Maybe it was good at the time, but right now I don't know how you can say a ten year old game is actually good. All armour abilities serve for a purpose, to give you an advantage over your opponent when correctly used. Being able to use armour abilities effectively takes skill.

I don't want to turn this into a massive argument, I really don't. So why don't we leave it at the fact we all have different opinions, OK?

Who cares if it isn't like original Halo lelmonade, I would rather they made a new game with new things eg armour abilities than copy an old one, which in my opinion, sucked. Maybe it was good at the time, but right now I don't know how you can say a ten year old game is actually good. All armour abilities serve for a purpose, to give you an advantage over your opponent when correctly used. Being able to use armour abilities effectively takes skill.

I don't want to turn this into a massive argument, I really don't. So why don't we leave it at the fact we all have different opinions, OK?

That was a very ignorant rant, first of all that "10 year old game that cant possibly be good" is what started the series and is still loved by many people. It didn't just start the halo series it's engine was taken and modified by many developers, so you can say halo CE is the father of todays console FPS's. I cant believe you actually dissed halo CE! why do you think they remade the game? well because it the best console FPS for it's time of all time! The only reason you dont want this to turn into a big argument is because you know you will lose. Most of the people who have played halo 1,2 and 3 hate armor abilities, Face it AA's suck and 343 doens't even like them. I agree everone has there opinions but it's a straight fact that AA's dont even compare to amount of skill it took to play halo 3(the right way). O ya and "no one cares if it isn't like original halo" is also a very ignorant thing to say since the op is about bringing halo back the way it was.

I agree with the title. The armor abilities ruined Halo. Halo 3 was the best game I have ever played, especially with their online rank system. With the ranked playlist, it just made the game so much more competitive since you could actually see your rank from 1-50. Reach (in my opinion) was a step or two back because of the abilities and their ranking system, or "Competitive" playlist.

I'm not going to "face it" and admit that armour abilities suck, because I honestly think they add to the great experience I have on reach.

What I meant with my comments on CE, was that I don't understand how you can say it is good now - when it was made 10 years ago. Technology has advanced a lot in 10 years allowing developers to greatly improve the games they are making. I use reach as an example. I know you disagree with me on this, but I'm afraid this is just something we are going to have to agree to disagree on.

And I didn't make that comment because I know I will lose this argument. There is no argument to win, as both of us aren't going to change our opinions.

I'm not going to "face it" and admit that armour abilities suck, because I honestly think they add to the great experience I have on reach.

What I meant with my comments on CE, was that I don't understand how you can say it is good now - when it was made 10 years ago. Technology has advanced a lot in 10 years allowing developers to greatly improve the games they are making. I use reach as an example. I know you disagree with me on this, but I'm afraid this is just something we are going to have to agree to disagree on.

And I didn't make that comment because I know I will lose this argument. There is no argument to win, as both of us aren't going to change our opinions.

Technology has allowed the graphics to improve greatly, but I think you are missing the point here. What they are saying is that the combat system in CE is preferable to the one in Reach, not that it has a better engine, better graphics, etc.

Technology has nothing to do with better gameplay, other than more AI's and Scenery in one area with further rendering. Reach must be a poor example of games getting better from drastic changes if i see so many people wanting gameplay from halo 3 back.

Yes, I admit, a lot of people want to see Halo 3 style gameplay, but we were talking a CE. And my post, by the way, was not a rant.

I just found that when I played Halo 3, it was a far inferior experience to reach. In reach, there are AAs, sprint, better graphics, it plays better, it is just, in my opinion, a better game.

I know what they are saying. Think of it this way:

If you gave someone who has never played or even heard of Halo before a copy of CE and Reach which do you think they would prefer?

Reach, because its newer of course. But that doesnt make better because of the gameplay, newbs who just start playing halo don't understand anything other than the pretty textures in the game.

Reach, because its newer of course. But that doesnt make better because of the gameplay, newbs who just start playing halo don't understand anything other than the pretty textures in the game.

But they would still care about how it actually plays and the mechanics, not the incredible past of Halo and how CE evolved shaped the future of FPS, therefore automatically making it amazing.

Yes, I admit, a lot of people want to see Halo 3 style gameplay, but we were talking a CE. And my post, by the way, was not a rant.

I just found that when I played Halo 3, it was a far inferior experience to reach. In reach, there are AAs, sprint, better graphics, it plays better, it is just, in my opinion, a better game.

But CE shared the same core gameplay settings as halo 3(besides the equipment)

But they would still care about how it actually plays and the mechanics, not the incredible past of Halo and how CE evolved shaped the future of FPS, therefore automatically making it amazing.

but that still doenst make the mechanics seem better to them though, because if they havn't played any of the originals so they could not of compared the two.

The feel of CE is far preferable to the feeling Reach

i tried playing reach the other day and i still hate it even with all the changes that have been implemented into it to fix it. the fact that they have so many updates shows how broken reach is.

even with the small community sticking to halo 3 i would still play classic halo style gameplay than the broken system of reach

if they would bring back halo 2 online then i would go back and play that halo 3 is a great game but out of all halos, halo 2 was the best gameplay wise. it had bugs and glitches but these werent unusual for a game on the original xbox. and the fact that so many found these small glitches shows how loved it was by its fans