Sniping in Reach

Destroyaaa

Anyone else have a problem sniping in Reach? Especially close range. I had no problem close range sniping in Halo 2 or 3 but its so different in Reach. Can anyone relate to this? I know it has to do with the DMR being able to counter it but I still play people and play with people that can snipe no problem.

Is it because it is easier and you are not used to chat? as halo 2 and halo 3 was harder, and the fire rate was quicker?

I think you may be right. Which is odd because they made it easier and its harder for me haha. Another thing is that I am now playing on a samsung 32 inch HDTV, while I played halo all my life on a tube tv in my brothers room. Over winter break I played a few games on that old tv and I did much better. I've noticed that its hard to switch from regular to HD for a FPS. My aim gets thrown off on the HDTV. I guess I just need to keep playing to get used to it.

I actually find it significantly easier to snipe in Reach than in any of the other games. It feels more forgiving in terms of recoil, plus everyone seems to move slower and more predictably. I also could well be wrong on this, but the head's hitbox definitely feels a lot bigger proportionally.

I was also a better sniper in Halo 3, but that is mainly because of the fire rate and lack of apparent recoil (if there was any it didn't affect my aim). It was also easier close range because of the fire rate. I've gotten pretty decent on Reach's sniper, but that took quite a bit of practice (playing team snipers, A LOT).

I think you may be right. Which is odd because they made it easier and its harder for me haha. Another thing is that I am now playing on a samsung 32 inch HDTV, while I played halo all my life on a tube tv in my brothers room. Over winter break I played a few games on that old tv and I did much better. I've noticed that its hard to switch from regular to HD for a FPS. My aim gets thrown off on the HDTV. I guess I just need to keep playing to get used to it.

I have the same problem. I sit super close to a 42in HDTV so I can have headphones, and when I scoot back I'm terrible.

I have the same problem. I sit super close to a 42in HDTV so I can have headphones, and when I scoot back I'm terrible.

i think TV size has a lot to do with it. i've never been able to play well in standard def. can't see ****. but if i try and play on my 50in tv in my living room i can't aim for crap. so i play on a 24in. computer monitor and aiming is incredibly easier. makes a world of difference IMO

Size of TV does matter. I have played halo since the beginning on a tv no bigger than 21". Ever since I switched to my 54" HDLCD, my aiming is way off, and I miss a lot of opportunities or just plain suck when aiming. Whenever I go back to the old 21" tv, my aim is better. I think a lot of it has to do with reflexes and instincts you learned to use when faced with a smaller screen. the detail is harder to make out and you kinda have to compensate for it. It's kinda like how blind people can sometimes see more or notice more than you can with sight.

For most of us whom are much older, it is harder to break the skills we have learned to grow because of picture size. I myself will never be better at any Halo game on a bigger tv. the smaller ones always work best for me. Remember, going from small to big pictures can be distracting and very misleading for some gamers. It becomes to overwhelming or sometimes you may tend to rely too much on what exactly you CAN see, instead of using good old fashion instincts.

Size of TV does matter. I have played halo since the beginning on a tv no bigger than 21". Ever since I switched to my 54" HDLCD, my aiming is way off, and I miss a lot of opportunities or just plain suck when aiming. Whenever I go back to the old 21" tv, my aim is better. I think a lot of it has to do with reflexes and instincts you learned to use when faced with a smaller screen. the detail is harder to make out and you kinda have to compensate for it. It's kinda like how blind people can sometimes see more or notice more than you can with sight.

For most of us whom are much older, it is harder to break the skills we have learned to grow because of picture size. I myself will never be better at any Halo game on a bigger tv. the smaller ones always work best for me. Remember, going from small to big pictures can be distracting and very misleading for some gamers. It becomes to overwhelming or sometimes you may tend to rely too much on what exactly you CAN see, instead of using good old fashion instincts.

I use a 24" LED moniter, cant stand a TV or above 30", the aiming and play is way off

Also does anyone know if playing using an HDMI cable has any effect on this? Thats what I use now.

Yes, it helps to use the best equipment possible. If you have ever watched a Halo tournament, you will notice the size of the monitor they use and may here the announcers explain the equipment/hard ware used to ensure each players view of what's happening is as lag free and equal to the others.

It's not the size of the TV thats bugging me, I think its more the lag-time as well as the widescreen. Obviously the tube TV isnt widescreen but it wasnt much smaller than my HDTV. Its unbelievely frustrating how badly I snipe. I think I am getting used to the DMR but I have altered my playstyle so that I dont have to try and outsnipe people because no matter how bad they are I am always in trouble.

For me it's about on the same level in terms of difficulty when sniping across each game. I'm not the best sniper out there, but I don't seem to have any more trouble sniping in one game over the other.

It's the same with me.

If you're having issues with no-scoping, try not moving around too much; wait till he enters your crosshair then shot. I've found this to be much easier. Also, turn up your sensitivity, after I switched up to 10 I keep surprising myself with sweet snipes.