Halo 2 Remastered for 12th Halo Anniversary

Arbiter

Halo 2 Remake!  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Should they remake the original Halo online multiplayer?

• Yes, definitely!
    • It would be nice, but won't kill me if they don't.
    • Do not care either way.
    • No I do not see that it is necessary.
    • Just bring the original back online.

What about CEA did you not understand? CEA had two different instances of the game running side by side for campaign. One running on the Sabre 3d engine, which only outputted the graphical changes, and the standard base Blam! engine of CE for the physics/game handling. A good representation of this, is how the geometry changes in the modes, but the collision remains the same.

Again remember, it was nessessary to run the Sabre 3d engine along side the original, because the sabre 3d engine was the closest out of studio engine that could run and work with the Reach Blam! engine thru Megaloscript and side loading code. At no point did they remaster anything and attempt to put it into the original engine. The nice shiny new shaders and models you see are running solo on the Sabre engine.

It would have cost far too much money and time to develop a new iteration or Blam that would both be completely compatable with CE and Reach's version of Blam. Alone reconstructing a network model to handle the original MM would have taken 3 years. This was specifically stated in an interview with O'Connor before CEA's release, and it was as well one of the determining factors in why CEA HAD to use the Reach style MM system and graphics overlay.

Now you may be getting confused with my rant before this one, but I was showcasing more how it would need to be done, or how it wouldn't be able to be done for a PC remastered port.

I was a big fan of Halo 2 and really would like to play over the campaign with new and improved graphics... as for the multiplayer, forum members have brought up points that I never really thought of. I'm really hard-pressed as to making a decision whether it should or should not be re-made.

The factor of whether it should or shouldnt can vary greatly. Like I stated long ago CE was remastered to mark a milestone in a franchises history. CE wasnt remade because fana wanted it or because they wanted to bring it up to speed with current gen. It was made as an achievment for reaching ten years,.and to.give new players to the franchise a glimpse of what was and what is to.come.

• Like 1

What about CEA did you not understand? CEA had two different instances of the game running side by side for campaign. One running on the Sabre 3d engine, which only outputted the graphical changes, and the standard base Blam! engine of CE for the physics/game handling. A good representation of this, is how the geometry changes in the modes, but the collision remains the same.

Again remember, it was nessessary to run the Sabre 3d engine along side the original, because the sabre 3d engine was the closest out of studio engine that could run and work with the Reach Blam! engine thru Megaloscript and side loading code. At no point did they remaster anything and attempt to put it into the original engine. The nice shiny new shaders and models you see are running solo on the Sabre engine.

It would have cost far too much money and time to develop a new iteration or Blam that would both be completely compatable with CE and Reach's version of Blam. Alone reconstructing a network model to handle the original MM would have taken 3 years. This was specifically stated in an interview with O'Connor before CEA's release, and it was as well one of the determining factors in why CEA HAD to use the Reach style MM system and graphics overlay.

Now you may be getting confused with my rant before this one, but I was showcasing more how it would need to be done, or how it wouldn't be able to be done for a PC remastered port.

I understand now thanks, your telling the people that and entire remaster of the game is not possible.

That's what I got from it.

First, sorry if I cam off the wrong way...not my intention. But yes and no, to answer your question. It could be done, but it is likely to hit a large amount obstacles that would require a lot of studio time to do so. To put it a better way, lets look at how they ported over Halo 2 to the PC. Now because most of the base code the compiler spit out, almost everything was already able to be formatted easily to be compatable with PC specs, dll's, graphic drivers etc. It took 2 seperate companies nearly 3 years just to port over assets from an Xbox exclusive source base, and yet all we got has a little higher resolution due to the Vista OS using a DirectX10 overlay as it's starting point.

If they were to redo the game from scratch and include all new shader systems, rendering processes, etc...it would likely take even a resource the size of 343i roughly 3+ years to do...and that is not including the netcode work to give us a truly original MM gameplay base that would equate to the one we got in Halo2. So yeah, it's a yes and no. is it possible, yes. Is it likely or money friendly to do it...no.

Technical mumbo jumbo aside, I see a lot of people talking about the multiplayer of 2004. That won't be able to be brought back, and let's face it, if they did try it people would be upset about it for some reason or another.

That said, if they did release a Halo 2 Anniversary that was similar to how they did the CEA Anniversary, I would buy it. So would all of my friends in real life, and more than likely their friends would as well. Why? Because my friends and I loved playing H2 on campaign.

And even if you exclude those that loved Halo 2's campaign, there are still hundreds of thousands who would buy it just to see how it plays, and a few thousand more who would buy it just to add to their collection. And then a few hundred thousand more who never got to play Halo 2's campaign, and who started with Halo Reach or Halo 3 after they stopped producing H2 discs.

All in all, if they do it right it could be very profitable for them, so I don't see why they wouldn't. Or why Microsoft wouldn't MAKE them do it. lol

• Like 1

The factor of whether it should or shouldnt can vary greatly. Like I stated long ago CE was remastered to mark a milestone in a franchises history. CE wasnt remade because fana wanted it or because they wanted to bring it up to speed with current gen. It was made as an achievment for reaching ten years,.and to.give new players to the franchise a glimpse of what was and what is to.come.

Wrong, Microsoft had nothing to do with the history of CE, it was a good way to make millions and the marketing tool was a 10 year anniversary. CEA was done to make money. H2A would likewise be a money maker and the excuse could be the 10 year anniversary.

It's what another guy was trying to say, if it worked for CE shouldn't work for H2 as well? I say yes.

• Like 1

Wrong, Microsoft had nothing to do with the history of CE, it was a good way to make millions and the marketing tool was a 10 year anniversary. CEA was done to make money. H2A would likewise be a money maker and the excuse could be the 10 year anniversary.

It's what another guy was trying to say, if it worked for CE shouldn't work for H2 as well? I say yes.

Really? So it wasn't Microsoft that saved Bungie from bankruptcy by buying the early half developed rights to Halo? Wow, someone needs to go thru the Bungie company history. Microsoft is the sole reason WHY you and millions around the world are able to enjoy Halo today. If not for them, Bungie would have went broke, Halo would have never been finished or released, and you would all be playing CoD.

Microsoft was not the ones whom decided to remake Halo 1, that was all 343i. It was a project that Frank and a few ex-Bungie employees wanted to do as the studios first title, I don't count Halo Wars as an actual Halo title. Yes, Microsoft gave them the green light because of the $$$ it would make, but it was not Microsoft's idea or forcefull hand that made it happen.

Technical mumbo jumbo aside, just because it worked for CEA does not mean it will work for H2. CE did not have the luxury of having Havok at it's physics, animation and collision backbone. The first generation of Blam! was more compatible with the Reach engine than any other version they produced. Halo 3 comes close with it's shadering system, but Reach, was more or less a stripped down and upgraded CEA engine. Very open ended and very highly optimized.

Also realize that CEA had no base code for a previous network model such as Live, integrated into the engine. This made CEA a great title to remaster on a separate running engine without gumming up any of the internal works.

Again though, they already have Halo 2 for the PC, so there is no good reason why people cannot go back thru enjoy campaign. Campaign even works on XP with the right modifications, and said modifications are very simple to do and understand. Yes the campaign play would be solo and no co-op, but who cares. In an age where 4 player or more co-op is now king, 2 player seems lame. And lets be very brutaly honest, after the mess with Hired Gun and PI studios on the porting of Halo 2, do you really think Microsoft would ever contract it back out to be worked on again by an outside studio? Don't get me wrong, Sabre Interactive is a great Studio with a lot of skill, but Microsoft even today is still feeling the effects of the botched port.

Honestly Grumpy, I'm getting a little sick and tired of you trolling everything I say, only to reply with complete BS and posting things that are false. If your gonna troll someone, might I suggest you troll someone slightly below your level of programming and gaming experience? Perhaps try a 5 year old?

TL;DR

Or at least I stopped at 'it was purely 343's decision to put out CEA'. Nonsense, 343 is owned and run by Microsoft, no way in hell does a department make decisions without approval. You type a lot and say nothing, bottom line, H2 deserves a remake/remaster because of what it did for millions of fans, what it did for Microsoft and because all those millions will buy it. It will far outsell CEA imo.