Site Poll 83: Will Halo Infinite be open-world?

oAEBUiG.png

Hi everyone, Spartan here with site poll #83.

Last time we talked about who the AI in the Halo Infinite teaser could be, with some great detailed responses from Twinreaper and I_Make_Big_Boom. Click here to view the last poll, #82.

Halo-Infinite-1-750x430.jpg

Will Halo Infinite be open-world?

An open-world Halo game is something I never even considered up until recently. With 343 showing off their brand new Slipsace gaming engine, the vast nature-filled Halo ring suggested to many people that Halo Infinite may be open-world. Imagine that. Chief traversing another ring he's never stepped foot on before. That's how things are really like if you read the books, especially Halo: The Flood which shows you what Halo: Combat Evolved was really like for John. It would take a lot of work, and considering how long 343 are spending on Halo Infinite, it makes an open-world game so much more believable. It would be a new experience for Halo, and one I doubt can bring negative consequences. Hostile animals, stranded marines, enemy strongholds. The possibilities are interesting. Maybe we gotta travel to the next mission. Think Halo 3: ODST, but even far better. Maybe you could even have an online open-world experience where you encounter other players, not sure how that would link with a campaign though if the players aren't in your party before you start. Just like how you find other live racers pop up in your map on Forza Horizon. A lot could be done, just needs to be done right.

Would you all like Halo Infinite to be open-world? Do you think it will be? Why?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Spartan out.  :yay:

• Like 4

Realistically, I think that's too big a departure for most Halo fans to handle, especially after being beaten and bruised for the majority of this decade. Like, I'm hyperbolic about that, and everybody knows I complain about 343, but I do like allot of what they've done with the Halo series. However, that still doesn't detract from what they've failed to do, and my refusal to be hyped about them anymore. I'm waiting to see what they market the game as, and what the final product is: contrasting the two perceived versions as well as the influence the gaming industry has had on them. That's something I've had to do for MCC, and Halo 5, which were sold with blatant lies. 

Negativity aside though, to expand on this being too much for the community to handle, the series has changed enough already that everybody just wants a classic experience again, which is why ElDewrito gained major steam earlier in the year (although half of that reason was because it was an actual PC Halo game, no bs). I don't agree with them completely scrubbing the new artstyle like everyone seems to be hyped about, and I really hope they don't completely retcon Halo 5's narrative or anything... but from the looks of it, it looks like Halo CE 2, which I'd be okay with. In that vein of Halo, it could still technically be an open-world game, but set across various missions that instead have extremely large environments.

Though I think the major factor here in regards to an open-world experience is the title itself, Halo: Infinite. I've touched on this in a previous poll, but Infinite feels like too generic, and staggering a title to refer to just a Halo CE clone or something. With the dumb emphasis on wildlife (which has NEVER been that apparent in Halo), it certainly feels like they're heading in that direction, which I don't agree with. It's a situation where the final product will be what tips the scales, like what happened with Metroid Prime 1. Still, I'm working with 343's track record to inform their future product, and it's not looking so good, so I don't have much to be hyped about: actually I'm not hyped at all.

• Like 2

I don't think we'll see a true open world, but most likely have some large open spaces with some exploration, similar to first landing on Halo in CE, or exploring areas of Reach. We've had similar things in every Halo game, but usually there isn't an Easter egg or something there other than maybe a power weapon or ammo. It's also possible we might see something like Spartan Ops or Firefight return in a larger form, with some more exploration factors. Honestly, I'd love to see some larger campaign maps with cool side areas, which is what I think we'll get.

• Like 3

As the name they chose suggests, I would believe it to be an expansive, immersive open world title.  It looks as if the Slipspace Engine was designed to bring Halo back to what it was supposed to be on Mac.  Hundreds of weapons, third person and first person views, expansive open world movement, etc.

With MCC being worked on in complete overhaul, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to release another CE clone type game that is similar graphically and in theme.  It makes more sense for it to be a precursor expansion to fill in the gaps from the era before CE.  Also with a title chosen like "Infinite", it can't be a stand alone Halo game that plays and has the same layout as a base Halo game.  It has to live up to the name they chose, so don't be surprised when you find out that Halo Infinite is a Destiny clone, or Anthem wanna be.

• Like 2

Honestly, I dont know. I cant tell what this game is going to be from a tech demo for the Slipspace Engine. Although, I dont see it being a fully open world game like Borderlands or Just Cause. Maybe we will get large areas to explore during missions or something.

If its going to be anything like that, Im thinking sonething that operates like Metal Gear Solid V. You do different missions on the Installation but instead of free roam, you are restricted to a mission area.

Thats just my thoughts but I think its too early to tell what Infinite will be. Some people are jumping to conclusions and they really shouldnt

• Like 2