Absolute Dog

I will list any related information here in this OP that refers to any discussion, interview or video that offers any insight into the question o which engine is to be used.

1 ) The first is from nowgamer.com via N4G and dated June 14 2011 and is a quote from Microsoft Game Studios corporate VP Spencer: Article

2 ) The next is a statement by Frank O'Conner and posted in CVG dated November 14 2011 and is a quote from E3: Article

3 ) This is again reported PCWorld on November 14 2011 as seen here: Article

4 ) This is an actual interview with Spike TV at E3 in Frank O'Conner's own words: Video

5 ) This is a video interview with Josh Holmes and Kiki Wolfkill by Game Informer dated October 26 2011. The key part referring to the engine takes place at 19:30 in the interview, but the entire interview is the best non stop back and forth discussion of the new game and the environment, music, sounds and the inclusion of more of the Halo history. The character of the Master Chief will also be more revealed to the fans as well. : Video

With all of this information it is still not completely clear what the actual engine is other than a culmination of engines. It is clear that it was stated, "343 obviously has partnered closely with Bungie for a while," Microsoft Game Studios corporate VP Spencer said, "We had been working with them on Halo: Reach and map packs. We started with the code base from Halo, so it's not something we had to re-roll from the beginning. [Chief Technology Officer] David Wu and the team behind the core engine tech inside of 343 have done a lot of work." Does this simply mean it will progress as in the past? Even by using part of the Reach engine, as well as others, would it be a completely new experience? Since being partnered with Bungie so early on, it would allow them to use just the code or writing they want minus, all the features of the current game, as they have done in the past by just bringing the best parts forward.

I hope this gives a clearer picture than some of the misinformation that I had even had.

I think I need to contact Corrine and see what she has to officially say about the engine. Frank may be in a top position for 343i, but Corrine is the principal engine architect for Microsoft, which in turn dictates to 343i what direction their tech uses takes. I'll see if I can get an official response from her and keep you guys updated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks like the standard for Halo games, use part of the last games engine. Otherwise, you could end up with games in the series as different as CoD4 and Mw2.

true modern warfares engines are like the same each time with different weapons , really

That is due to the fact that the Quake Engine sucks ass in reality. Even when playing the source code myself...I found it too be not very friendly nor forgiving in the modification department. After doing this myself, I can see why they chose to go with it. It is hard to change, but also it ensures a smooth transition from title to title.

If I had a say in the engine layout, I would have to suggest it to be coded from complete scratch. The tag layout and tag system in general is an old, really old way of doing things. If they hope to bring great scripting beyond Megalo into play, they really need to consider going with a format like LUA. I just hope the 360 can handle what they are putting into it. The Reach engine is almost pushing the 360 to 85% of it's gaming capacity. But there in lies the problem also. We have a basically almost what now.....7 year old console? The limitations on any new engine coming in at this point in Halo, needs a fresh system and hardware platform to base itself on. I hate to say it....but if we want what we are expecting from Halo 4...we need a fresh system to go with it. This is why I have stated before in some threads, that i think halo 4 will see a delay in release.

I can do some LUA. It's suprisingly easy, and works well. Back on topic. I do remember somewhere that [kiki?] said that the Halo 4 engine was actually a heavily modified variation of the Halo 3 engine, just like Reach's engine because it, you know... was all they had to work with at the start of the project. It's not so bad though, things from Halo 3 still look great, and you'd be suprised what a new art direction can do.

I also would'nt mind it it still ran at 30 fps, because that's all the human brain can percieve actually. You's notice no differenc in quality if told that a 30 fps game was the same as a 60fps.besides, that just means less framerate drop, and more room for other things.

P.S.

If you've read Primordium, then you might know what 343i has in mind when they said that the environment seems more alive. I think it'll be pretty cool.

in GI im pretty sure they said it was modified reach..... hopefully thats not true. and crytek would be a dream come true. an impossible one.

Why do you hope it's not? Using an engine doesn't mean using the same weapons, gameplay features, etc. If they did use the Reach engine, it doesn't mean Halo 4 would have the same kind of gameplay as Reach.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have played both Reach and 3 and I too feel that Reach had major shortcomings but, I do not understand what exactly is meant by which engine they will use. I thought the engine was simply a collection of coding that allowed them to put in different aspects of the game: graphics, controls etc. Does anyone know where I can learn more about the internal workings of the coding? Maybe a clear definition of an engine would do the trick.

All I know is they need to redo the ragdoll physics because they suck in Reach. The player is always doing that stupid spin in the air even when he hits water. When he hits the ground, he turns into a balled-up hunk of armor, lol. Halo 3's ragdoll physics were better.