Can we play as something other than a Spartan?

bwdwtw

Should we be things OTHER than Spartans?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What different units/species would you like to play as? (including Elites)

2. 2. Should playing as the things listed above be in its own game modes?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want to play as things other than Spartans

You can read about this in great detail in the link on my signature. This is basically a chunk of that post put on here! This isn't very organised compared to the other posts i've made in the past but i'm not completely awake yet so I apologise.

Ok, so when I was looking at the Halo 4 forums, I realised that it wasn't just me that wanted to be something other than a Spartan. It has been going on for, well God knows how many years now, that you play as only a Spartan. In very few game modes of the past Halo's you could be an Elite, and that wasn't extremely fun exept for the thought that you're a mighty Elite warrior. I thought what it must be like as a marine or ODST trooper in the front lines of the war while the Spartan goes deep into enemy territory to do gung ho things that are in no way humanly possible. Sure, they are supersoldiers, but I don't like being the star of the show. I like to be the ones that do the dirty work on the front lines. If there were a game mode like firefight (or a campaign for each species) that lets you defend against waves of marines and Spartans and ODST troopers with your other Covenant allies helping you out in a huge battle, (and most of the fighters are AI) that would be a dream come true! You could flip it around and be a marine in a huge battle as well. You could be an ODST that takes a drop pod (after they die) and instead of having a spawn timer, the drop pod fires from high in the sky and lets you choose where to land by steering it around on the way down. The timer would be the time it takes to hit ground. There may be serious glitches or problems with the whole thing, so I don't support this fully.

There should be special abilities for each unit and species. Let's start off with the UNSC. For the Spartan, keep it classic. For the ODST, the drop pod spawn idea. Maybe just choose where you want to spawn and have the regular spawner timer. For a marine, (which is the main purpose of this whole post, cause it's what I want most!) you can do everything a spartan can, exept for assasinating and having shields. They may be weak, but they can have power in numbers and a very low spawn timer! AI would be perfect to have as allies when you are a marine. If you could be a grunt, same story. They have no spawn timer (just a brief second to see what their corpse does) and can't use many weapons. They can access the gunner seat of all vehicles and pilot some vehicles. Jackals can wield some weapons and have a shield that is exclusive to jackals. Jackals can run fast as well. Say, press the LT button to put up the shield. With a skirmisher, make them very fast is all I can say. They are annoying on Halo: Reach. Brutes have no shields (just like all of the mentioned so far) but are invulnerable to assasination and have alot of extra health. Hunters to me is a great idea. Press LT to put up your shield. You can't do anything you can as a Spartan. You should be able to charge with LB and shoot your assault beam that needs a charge up and cooldown with use with RT. Melee with RB. Not much more detail I could go into here.

If there were a game mode that has a ton of AI using vehicles and weapons like any other player does, and they complete objectives (like CTF) like a player, then it could have its own breed of multiplayer gaming. If they were to add a game mode for every accliable game mode on the modern multiplayer, while having its own classic multiplayer section, (say a menu with 2 submenus, AI multiplayer and multiplayer) and then from there it is explanitory.

For the flood, why not use that as the new living dead. Have classic living dead as well because classics are good. If they let you play as the flood and have their own classes like spores and infected marine, and infected Spartan, and so on. It should allow you to be able to spawn instantly as a spore, and let you spawn after 4 seconds as an infected marine. An infected Spartan could take 8 seconds to spawn. They could have varying health levels depending on the class you are. Spores take 1 or 2 shots to kill, marines take 4 to 7 shots to kill, and Spartans take 5 to 12 shots to kill. (headshots are a different story) If a flood spore hits you, you drop dead and then become a flood character on the spot.

If we were to be a marine, we should be able to have full customization of them and change their facial features with a variety of customizations. Let's say: height, fat, muscle tone, skin color (with a logical spectrum of colors), moustaches, eye colors, eye shape (with a couple preset shapes), and head shape.

I spent a decent 2 hours making this. :sorcerer:

Make sure to like this if you like it, obviously. I would appreciate a reply of your opinion on this idea since I didn't consult any other people on what to add and what not to add. I am coming to be around now. I apologise for any errors I made earlier, because I am not proof reading this.

• Like 1

I honestly do not like the idea of this EVER being in Halo. I mean come on, it's Halo. And it should stay the way it is.

But the only one I would except, would be the O.D.S.T.

The only rule is that it would have to be in it's own special: Playlist/Game type.

Meaning only ODST vs ODST.

Not ODST vs Spartan or ODST vs Elite. It just wouldn't be fair.

Also, maybe the flood idea for Infection. But I don't know how it would work out.

Great idea's though, I can see you put much work into writing this. :clap:

I wouldn't mind it for customs and forge, but not in multiplayer. I think everyone should be equal, which means no special abilities for certain players. I think it would be great for machinimas though. But not in competitive multiplayer.But I would love your idea for a huge epic battle with AIs. In that case I would love it in multiplayer. Just not in a Normal game, it wouldn't be fun if everyone were hunters now would it.

I am in the camp of players who like Halo the way it was. The whole game was about playing as John 117. When they allowed player to start playing as Elites I was not really thrilled about it playing as one myself. That is when you started noticing that you were not playing on a level playing field to some degree. Everyone who played swat knew this because an Elite was harder to kill. I accepted the idea because I understood so many people liked or wanted the chance to play the Elite. For me the story, the game, and the franchise has always been about "The Spartan" John 117. ODST campaign and Reach campaign and MM have only provided years of an antagonistic feeling towards a game and the company that produced it. The thought of playing a multitude of different characters, changing facial features and having and endless string of "customizable" this or that does not interest me at all. Instead of continuing to get further away from the heart of this game and loose even more fans, there needs to be an effort to return to it's roots.

I once used an analogy about Ford having the Mustang as a hallmark car for so many years, much like Bungies Halo CE, 2 & 3. Then they create the Mustang II, Reach for Bungie, and loose the fans of the car. Sure some bought and loved their little pony, but real enthusiasts turned their backs and walked away. Ford realized that the "heart" of the mustang needed to return to that nameplate, and look where the mustang is today. 343ind. has the golden opportunity to bring the "heart" back to the game. I hope they do.

• Like 3

I like your idea buddy, i do. But its ALOT of work, your talking a WHOLE other disk, like the H3 Complete multiplayer, and frankly idt 343 has the time. I like this i really do but. Its just not something that could be achieved. I think the best you could do i maybe write a message to 343 id, and see what they can do with the Idea's, but i dont think its gunna happen :/ sorry.

I like your idea buddy, i do. But its ALOT of work, your talking a WHOLE other disk, like the H3 Complete multiplayer, and frankly idt 343 has the time. I like this i really do but. Its just not something that could be achieved. I think the best you could do i maybe write a message to 343 id, and see what they can do with the Idea's, but i dont think its gunna happen :/ sorry.

I've made impacts on many games before me, and sometimes the ideas are bad, but I wasn't saying that I WANT and I HAVE to have it. I was just throwing it out there for you guys to think about. Please don't mistake me for a fool, I know that it would take years to make this. I don't think 343i even has the budget to do something like this. I wasn't even saying it should be in Halo 5, I was stating that it would be fun to have a whole other game for us to game on in a totally different way. This is like Halo ODST, a side story. The the PROS and CONS are not at all even, and it would cost millions to create a game that has nothing to do with Master Chief. Please Absolute Dog understand that I would freak out too if 343i made Halo 4 or Halo 5 completely clouded with things like this. Halo: ODST was a weird exeption of the whole franchise. Sure, I would like to be a marine just to see what it's like but let's make it something we have to think about far in the future because if you view the situation now, the negativity outweighs the benefits of it. The whole purpose of this post was to throw an idea at you guys not spark a war over something pointless.

Halo needs to move forward. I like this idea because, unlike armor ablitlies, it is already in the game, it isn't suddenly made up. They don't need ADS or AA's, they just need to put in things from the campaign (best thing ever!) and use it in multiplayer. This would make the Halo feeling be online as well, therefore creating the ultimate video game. We need space ships/battles that link to land, drop pods, destroyable environment, ect. 343 got to do the immpossible to make Halo be where it belongs, the #1 video game. Lets be honest, with Battlefield 3, they have thier work cut out for them.

• Like 1

You can read about this in great detail in the link on my signature. This is basically a chunk of that post put on here! This isn't very organised compared to the other posts i've made in the past but i'm not completely awake yet so I apologise.

Ok, so when I was looking at the Halo 4 forums, I realised that it wasn't just me that wanted to be something other than a Spartan. It has been going on for, well God knows how many years now, that you play as only a Spartan. In very few game modes of the past Halo's you could be an Elite, and that wasn't extremely fun exept for the thought that you're a mighty Elite warrior. I thought what it must be like as a marine or ODST trooper in the front lines of the war while the Spartan goes deep into enemy territory to do gung ho things that are in no way humanly possible. Sure, they are supersoldiers, but I don't like being the star of the show. I like to be the ones that do the dirty work on the front lines. If there were a game mode like firefight (or a campaign for each species) that lets you defend against waves of marines and Spartans and ODST troopers with your other Covenant allies helping you out in a huge battle, (and most of the fighters are AI) that would be a dream come true! You could flip it around and be a marine in a huge battle as well. You could be an ODST that takes a drop pod (after they die) and instead of having a spawn timer, the drop pod fires from high in the sky and lets you choose where to land by steering it around on the way down. The timer would be the time it takes to hit ground. There may be serious glitches or problems with the whole thing, so I don't support this fully.

There should be special abilities for each unit and species. Let's start off with the UNSC. For the Spartan, keep it classic. For the ODST, the drop pod spawn idea. Maybe just choose where you want to spawn and have the regular spawner timer. For a marine, (which is the main purpose of this whole post, cause it's what I want most!) you can do everything a spartan can, exept for assasinating and having shields. They may be weak, but they can have power in numbers and a very low spawn timer! AI would be perfect to have as allies when you are a marine. If you could be a grunt, same story. They have no spawn timer (just a brief second to see what their corpse does) and can't use many weapons. They can access the gunner seat of all vehicles and pilot some vehicles. Jackals can wield some weapons and have a shield that is exclusive to jackals. Jackals can run fast as well. Say, press the LT button to put up the shield. With a skirmisher, make them very fast is all I can say. They are annoying on Halo: Reach. Brutes have no shields (just like all of the mentioned so far) but are invulnerable to assasination and have alot of extra health. Hunters to me is a great idea. Press LT to put up your shield. You can't do anything you can as a Spartan. You should be able to charge with LB and shoot your assault beam that needs a charge up and cooldown with use with RT. Melee with RB. Not much more detail I could go into here.

If there were a game mode that has a ton of AI using vehicles and weapons like any other player does, and they complete objectives (like CTF) like a player, then it could have its own breed of multiplayer gaming. If they were to add a game mode for every accliable game mode on the modern multiplayer, while having its own classic multiplayer section, (say a menu with 2 submenus, AI multiplayer and multiplayer) and then from there it is explanitory.

For the flood, why not use that as the new living dead. Have classic living dead as well because classics are good. If they let you play as the flood and have their own classes like spores and infected marine, and infected Spartan, and so on. It should allow you to be able to spawn instantly as a spore, and let you spawn after 4 seconds as an infected marine. An infected Spartan could take 8 seconds to spawn. They could have varying health levels depending on the class you are. Spores take 1 or 2 shots to kill, marines take 4 to 7 shots to kill, and Spartans take 5 to 12 shots to kill. (headshots are a different story) If a flood spore hits you, you drop dead and then become a flood character on the spot.

If we were to be a marine, we should be able to have full customization of them and change their facial features with a variety of customizations. Let's say: height, fat, muscle tone, skin color (with a logical spectrum of colors), moustaches, eye colors, eye shape (with a couple preset shapes), and head shape.

I spent a decent 2 hours making this. :sorcerer:

Make sure to like this if you like it, obviously. I would appreciate a reply of your opinion on this idea since I didn't consult any other people on what to add and what not to add. I am coming to be around now. I apologise for any errors I made earlier, because I am not proof reading this.

That's a lot of writing there! But I think it would be just almost copying GoW:3's Beast mode. not that it matters...

• Like 1

I think they should be used in certain game types, like for swat be regular marines, or ODSTs : for infection throw in the flood as the zombies and u could choose to be an elite or a spartan, or anything else, you get me? like mix it up a bit, not just keep it elite vs. spartan the whole time like in the past halo games. this would be different, and rather amusing:D

• Like 1

I am in the camp of players who like Halo the way it was. The whole game was about playing as John 117. When they allowed player to start playing as Elites I was not really thrilled about it playing as one myself. That is when you started noticing that you were not playing on a level playing field to some degree. Everyone who played swat knew this because an Elite was harder to kill. I accepted the idea because I understood so many people liked or wanted the chance to play the Elite. For me the story, the game, and the franchise has always been about "The Spartan" John 117. ODST campaign and Reach campaign and MM have only provided years of an antagonistic feeling towards a game and the company that produced it. The thought of playing a multitude of different characters, changing facial features and having and endless string of "customizable" this or that does not interest me at all. Instead of continuing to get further away from the heart of this game and loose even more fans, there needs to be an effort to return to it's roots.

I once used an analogy about Ford having the Mustang as a hallmark car for so many years, much like Bungies Halo CE, 2 & 3. Then they create the Mustang II, Reach for Bungie, and loose the fans of the car. Sure some bought and loved their little pony, but real enthusiasts turned their backs and walked away. Ford realized that the "heart" of the mustang needed to return to that nameplate, and look where the mustang is today. 343ind. has the golden opportunity to bring the "heart" back to the game. I hope they do.

This post is beautiful... It's like your in my head. Sorry for double posting...

lol firen i'm liking that one

Hey guys did you not catch what I said about it being exclusively multiplayer? Seriously dudes! Campaign shall NEVER be soiled by that! It is and always was about Master Chief. What if you played as an elite? Sure there are exeptions in campaign in the past, but really this was all just about the multiplayer. By the way, the fact that everybody would be hunters? How about you reserve a slot each time you die before another player claims it? That way, it will force/give players a standing chance! No fun in everybody dominating with hunters right? MAX 2 HUNTERS! Sound good?

yae! this is my 50th post :D

It wouldn't be halo if you weren't master chief? Change is not always good and this is too far out there for me. Reach was your chance to play as someone other than master chief. I wouldn't say reach was a failure but surely isn't a success. I would have to give this a big N-O. Maybe something like this for an odst type game. Not a future halo title, no way jose! Just my opinion tho