Campaign DLC for Reach

FIREN4

Campaign DLC?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be Campaign DLC? If so, At which perspective?

• No, It would ruin the whole Campaign
    • Yes, Carter- A259
    • Yes, Emile- A239
    • Yes, Kat- B320
    • Yes, Jorge- 052
    • Yes, Thom- 293
    • Keep all these people in one DLC
    • Yes, but make a (NEW*) lobby with that specific DLC to play on
    • Make a Matchmaking Playlist for it.
    • Yes, John-117's status during Reach
    • Yes, Jun- A266
  2. 2. If you like this, should this cost Microsoft Points? Or should it be free?

• Microsoft Points, It will dignify it and make it legit.
    • Free, it would be awesome to get all this for free
    • I still don't agree
  3. 3. What type of Easter Eggs would you prefer? If you like this idea.

• Funny and totally Cool
    • Informative
    • Reach is old, we don't need it.
    • I don't think Easter Eggs are a good idea...
    • Hard and Rewarding
    • Glitchy and "Wacky"

• 2 weeks later...

To explain the "slots" thing, I will do my best. The resource map that controls maps is the mainMenu.map file. Within this map's scenario file, is a listing of all maps Campaign and multiplayer. By default the campaign has no additional slots dedicated to the expansion of campaign. While multiplayer map types have roughly 20 additional slots and each have a unique identifier number associated with them. When new DLC content for multiplayer comes out, the maps that are given to us, each use one of the unique identifyer numbered slots in the new maps scenario file. This allows the mainmenu map file to recognize the maps and load them into the GUI for us to select. By default, if the value to show the slots was enabled, we would see a myriad of blank map shot boxes or name fields to indicate the map file can't be found anywhere in the gae disk or hdd. By adding the maps to the hdd the mainmenu can find them, ad show them to us after we DLC them.

In order to give us a true DLC campaign expansion, it would require 343i to update the mainmenu and shared map files and include them into the DLC. But here si the problem with that. Each individual campaign map file does not contain all the same tags. The campaign uses the shared map file to load certain resources. If they were to add resources to the maps, it would disrupt the file allocation table of certain tags, and thus regular campaign maps would fail to load effected things. In short, releasing campaign DLC outside maybe some MegaloScript magic, would require the entire title to be updated and re-shipped or downloaded.

• Like 1

Just to edit this real quick, I didn't realize at the time of writing that i referrences the wrong location of the map listings. They are located in the [matg] tag, which is the "globals" tag of the mainmenu file. Also some info is insode the [mulg] the multiplayer gobals tag.

To explain the "slots" thing, I will do my best. The resource map that controls maps is the mainMenu.map file. Within this map's scenario file, is a listing of all maps Campaign and multiplayer. By default the campaign has no additional slots dedicated to the expansion of campaign. While multiplayer map types have roughly 20 additional slots and each have a unique identifier number associated with them. When new DLC content for multiplayer comes out, the maps that are given to us, each use one of the unique identifyer numbered slots in the new maps scenario file. This allows the mainmenu map file to recognize the maps and load them into the GUI for us to select. By default, if the value to show the slots was enabled, we would see a myriad of blank map shot boxes or name fields to indicate the map file can't be found anywhere in the gae disk or hdd. By adding the maps to the hdd the mainmenu can find them, ad show them to us after we DLC them.

In order to give us a true DLC campaign expansion, it would require 343i to update the mainmenu and shared map files and include them into the DLC. But here si the problem with that. Each individual campaign map file does not contain all the same tags. The campaign uses the shared map file to load certain resources. If they were to add resources to the maps, it would disrupt the file allocation table of certain tags, and thus regular campaign maps would fail to load effected things. In short, releasing campaign DLC outside maybe some MegaloScript magic, would require the entire title to be updated and re-shipped or downloaded.

Oh, okay. I get it now, It would have to be re-bought or re-downloaded. Not a good thing I see.

Edit: One more question til' I say goodbye to this thread. Instead of a re-download, why not update it?

well in thery it sounds nice, but theamount of patchwork required for each and every map would be a bit much to write out and distribute. too my knowledge it would be virtually impossible anyway due to the fact that most tag id offsets are different for each map and created during each maps.compilinf process. dont quote me on that....but a lot of allocation occurs during level compiling.

• 1 month later...