The Director's Lesser Known Games Space Station 13

The Director

The Director's Lesser Known Games Volume 8

Space Station 13

Alright, so it has been a long time since I've done one of these so I'm just going to make a whole new template for it. LET'S DO THIS!

Rating: 7.5/10

Type of Game: Multiplayer Role Play Game

Platform: PC

Pros: This game is really really good once you learn the intricacies of play. There are dozens of places you can fit to help or hurt your crew members and the rules are different per server. Once you learn to play the game, you can role play to your heart's content. Most servers allow you to role play as much as is believable, and you don't have to worry about griefers on servers that don't allow it. I personally have been playing a server called Apocalypse Station/Gaming or something. The game also has one or more chosen 'aggressive' players which makes things exciting. It's sort of like a second life simulation, but without all the nasty bits. Like 'girls' asking you for your skype and such...

Anywho

Cons: The game has a very EXTREME learning curve. There are only about two jobs that don't require you to learn to 'play the part', and even those could lead to an awkward situation. Like blowing up the station on accident because you chose to be an engineer. The controls are also fairly difficult to master. Most of the players on the server take roleplay VERY seriously. This can be a detriment to your game experience if you're new to roleplaying, because when things are 'heavy' if you go out of character they will call you on it. Usually pretty harshly. 

All in all though, this is a really good game that's hosted on a program called 'BYOND'.

How to get the game:

1. Go here: http://www.byond.com/games/exadv1/spacestation13

2. Register with BYOND and download the program (you do not need to pay for anything, so don't unless you want to)

3. Open the program and find 'Space Station 13' in the games list on the left.

4. Pick a server (I play on a server that is Apocalypse Station 13)

5. Read the wiki like crazy to learn how to play.

Myself, Ledgend1221, AIGamerGirl, and BATMAN play this game together. It's pretty cool.

• Like 4

It is a very amazing game once you get into it and you will become addicted. It's also fun for everyone involved, even if you have nothing to do with the main antag of the round. I saw our own Mr. Director performing a psych evaluation on the station's janitor.

I've been playing for over a year now, so if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to contact me here or on Skype.

My Skype ID is Ledgend1221

Just send me a message and I can get you on your way to becoming the next most robust thing.

So this is multiplayer?

What are the system requirements?

Yes it is multiplayer, online. 

I have no idea what the requirements are but I can tell you what kind of system I play it on.

I play it on a laptop which is a:

HP G71 Notebook PC

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

4.00 GB of Installed Memory RAM

64 Bit Operating System

Wi-Fi card

Using this kind of internet:

ISP Centurylink

Speed 54 ping, 14.21 mbps download, 15.60 mbps upload

You SHOULD have a better system than that, and if you do you can play it.

Yes it is multiplayer, online. 

I have no idea what the requirements are but I can tell you what kind of system I play it on.

I play it on a laptop which is a:

HP G71 Notebook PC

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

4.00 GB of Installed Memory RAM

64 Bit Operating System

Wi-Fi card

Using this kind of internet:

ISP Centurylink

Speed 54 ping, 14.21 mbps download, 15.60 mbps upload

You SHOULD have a better system than that, and if you do you can play it.

Cool! I think I might get it...

Your pros and cons are jumbled.

-If you think people take the RP on the server seriously, you need to see heavy RP servers

-There are at least six jobs that don't require you to know much but are very useful

-Breaking immersion with IC in OOC or vise versa usually just gets three people telling you not to in OOC

-Not allowing grief doesn't mean it won't happen, but our staff is pretty quick and tidy in dealing with it and getting you back on track

+Also this game can run on even the most potato of computers. Default graphics card? No problem. 

+Absolutely free to play and no pay to win.

+Our staff can/will help you with learning how to do even the most simple of tasks to lessen the learning curve.

+2d spessmens

Also, I'm the host of Apocalyptic Station, so if you guys have any trouble, you know right where to find me!