Halo 5 Guardians music

GaVeNator227625

Okay so this is a big one for me personally. One of my main problems with Halo 4 was that it didnt feel like a Halo game, as a long time fan since the launch of CE this was a guge concern for me. And I think the main reason for this was the music. It was done by a different composer and where as the music technically wasnt bad I didnt feel like it achieved what it was meant to do which was be the soundtrack to a Halo game (particularly a major installment). I know that the music was meant to be a little different considering we are entering a new saga here but I think it still needed to feel like Halo. I dont feel that Halo 4 feels quite as iconic as the pervious titles. Thats why I think this issue needs to be tackled in Halo 5 and now that Martin O'Donnell is no longer working for Bungie maybe 343 should seriously consider bringing him on board (or not just consider it and just freaking do it). I really think the franchise desperately needs his touch and it will make all the difference! Although at the same time I dont want to discredit Neil's work on the game because like I said the music itself was by no means bad and it definitely still had its good moments! I think that if they got Neil and Marty to work together on the soundtrack that would be absolutely perfect! A mixture of the classic, iconic, epic and nostalgic feel mixed with the fresh new stuff to give it that new generation edge to it! Does anyone else support this?? I really want this to grab 343s attention!

• Like 2

Yes, the music needs to be more memorable. I don't think it necessary to have Marty to make it sound Halo, but it could be a good thing. They could attempt to emulate his music in the next, which is why you may not actually need the man to make it sound his way.

As of right now Marty's future is unknown. If there was something I could undobutly say about the music in the 5 Halo games he composed for is that you could recognize and say "This is the Music of Halo." He gave different flavors to the spinoffs such as reach and ODST, making them feel as if they were their own game, yet keeping that same feeling as before in the original 3 games. It was magical music, and it was most likely the first thing in Halo: CE that hooked and dragged me in deeper into the franchise. It would be great to hear it again... and not in Destiny.

It'd be great if they were to work together. The only problem is that they'd both have to get paid and that might be money 343i is not willing to spend, after all Neil is doing a damn fine job alone and doesn't really need a help out.

I mean listen to this:

*ahem*

We'll probably have to get used to this new type of music, I mean everything from Marty is so iconic and loved because of the feeling of nostalgia we get when we hear the MJOLNIR theme. In a few years we'll hear this and think about all the glorius moments we had.

Edited by Unease P34nut
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

That music that Marty did was for the Halo trilogy....

The music in Halo 4 is the start of a new trilogy the Reclaimer trilogy... and a whole new style of music. :)

Besides when Halo 2 first game out the music was... normal.... now over the years it has become stuff of legend.

Edited by Caboose The Ace

The music needs to be Unique and memorable to Halo 5. It cannot be repeats or extracts from the other Halos, as, while it will be memorable, it will be old and get tiredsome quickly.

The music needs to go in a new path such as Halo did, as the music is so instrumental to any game.

Personally, i believe that Halo 4's music was not as good as previous, but still memorable.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely agree. Marty's theme for the original Halo trilogy gave me goosebumps every damn time I listen to it and in each game after CE he added something new and fresh to the theme (Halo 2s MJOLNIR Rock theme) while keeping the "chorus" chord the same. This became iconic to the series as much as John Williams score for Star Wars (even in the prequels). Consistency is key and John Williams single-handedly saved the Star Wars Prequels because of his score. 

bring Marty back and let him collaborate with Neil. This will make any Halo fan go crazy.. lets hope.  :thumbsup:

I think it would be cool to bring back the old Halo CE, 2 and 3 theme song back because that is seriously a great song and I think Halo should get back to it's roots in multiplayer, campaign, and the whole general world.

I'm not saying the new stuff is bad, all I'm saying is that with a new creator, we need some original Halo back.

• Like 1

Is this not what Halo fans talk about Cod doing? :) ^

Bringing back music from 2 and 3 for Halo 5!? Disaster that is worse than Cod. No, Halo 5 needs to be a new soundtrack, it is no longer the Halo trilogy it is the Reclaimer saga or trilogy, MS make up your mind. New themes, new characters, new weapons, new enemy's, new story, new soundtrack etc.

Besides Halo 5 is supposed to be the darkest Halo in the Reclaimer saga/trilogy. The music must fit that.

Is this not what Halo fans talk about Cod doing? :) ^

Bringing back music from 2 and 3 for Halo 5!? Disaster that is worse than Cod. No, Halo 5 needs to be a new soundtrack, it is no longer the Halo trilogy it is the Reclaimer saga or trilogy, MS make up your mind. New themes, new characters, new weapons, new enemy's, new story, new soundtrack etc.

Besides Halo 5 is supposed to be the darkest Halo in the Reclaimer saga/trilogy. The music must fit that.

Agree to an extent that Halo 5 should be fresh in regards to its music but I also think it will be good for the fans if 343 pays homage to the original theme or at least the choir part chord. Its the most iconic theme in gaming history and I'm sure Neil could work wonders if he used a bit more "iconic" themes (mombasa suite for e.g.) and darkened the feel the way he did with Halo 4. 

In Halo 4 I only ever recall hearing the Halo theme once during the cutscene - and during those few seconds I was absolutely blown away - only because the whole game was missing that key element. After my first play-through I did not even realise there was a soundtrack because it was not memorable at all for me. Until I YouTube'd it and heard how well of an OST it actually was - I then went back and heard the pieces within context and it was great!

Marty and Neil working on the same project with the old and new theme for Halo 5 can only benefit the game itself. I see nothing wrong with going back to the old theme to pay homage to the beautiful music Halo has to offer. 

:band:

• Like 1